GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: ghostryder on February 27, 2017, 05:04:28 PM

Title: Torment: Tides of Numenera releases tommorrow
Post by: ghostryder on February 27, 2017, 05:04:28 PM
Who's gonna bite? Being a Planescape Torment fan I'm kind of excited but I'm also fearful of a buggy release. Not to mention I really can't afford it right now. But if the user reviews are posative i may let a bill go a week late and get it...but again I'm deep into an xcom2 long war campaign. geez. driving me crazy!
Title: Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera releases tommorrow
Post by: jamus34 on February 27, 2017, 06:39:41 PM
I will buy at some point but I cannot justify full price purchases anymore with the backlog I have.
Title: Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera releases tommorrow
Post by: Sir Slash on February 27, 2017, 11:11:55 PM
Torment was a one-time only work-of-art I'm afraid. I'll settle for a good game and a really good sale.
Title: Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera releases tommorrow
Post by: Nefaro on February 28, 2017, 12:05:55 AM
Quote from: jamus34 on February 27, 2017, 06:39:41 PM
I will buy at some point but I cannot justify full price purchases anymore with the backlog I have.

+1

That price tag is serious business.  :hide:
Title: Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera releases tommorrow
Post by: Greybriar on February 28, 2017, 03:00:26 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on February 28, 2017, 12:05:55 AM
Quote from: jamus34 on February 27, 2017, 06:39:41 PM
I will buy at some point but I cannot justify full price purchases anymore with the backlog I have.

+1

That price tag is serious business.  :hide:

+1 & +1 = I agree on both points. The cheapest Torment: Tides of Numenera costs $44.99 at GOG.com (https://www.gog.com/game/torment_tides_of_numenera), Torment: Tides of Numenera - Legacy Edition costs $64.99, and Torment: Tides of Numenera - Immortal Edition costs $84.99! ???
Title: Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera releases tommorrow
Post by: Shelldrake on February 28, 2017, 08:51:19 AM
Interested but will be waiting for a sale in a few months to purchase.
Title: Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera releases tommorrow
Post by: acctingman on February 28, 2017, 09:59:24 AM
I know it's Steam reviews, but it's getting pretty beat up there.
Title: Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera releases tommorrow
Post by: Sir Slash on February 28, 2017, 11:14:53 AM
RPG.com Has an overview of reviews posted on their site and all are very positive. Something that surprised me.
Title: Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera releases tommorrow
Post by: ghostryder on February 28, 2017, 11:54:07 AM
The game press being what they are, and steam users being what they are--I'll just wait until someone here gives an impression post.
Title: Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera releases tommorrow
Post by: acctingman on February 28, 2017, 11:58:08 AM
Quote from: ghostryder on February 28, 2017, 11:54:07 AM
The game press being what they are, and steam users being what they are--I'll just wait until someone here gives an impression post.

I agree!

Groggies here are the best source for well informed reviews!  :notworthy:
Title: Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera releases tommorrow
Post by: Rybon66 on February 28, 2017, 04:38:47 PM
I backed the Kickstarter, but my Wife is in the hospital so I won't be playing it for awhile.
Title: Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera releases tommorrow
Post by: Nefaro on February 28, 2017, 06:39:25 PM
Quote from: Rybon66 on February 28, 2017, 04:38:47 PM
I backed the Kickstarter, but my Wife is in the hospital so I won't be playing it for awhile.

Sorry to hear that.  Hope all will be well.
Title: Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera releases tommorrow
Post by: MetalDog on February 28, 2017, 08:44:49 PM
Quote from: Rybon66 on February 28, 2017, 04:38:47 PM
I backed the Kickstarter, but my Wife is in the hospital so I won't be playing it for awhile.


Prayers up.  Hope she is well soon.
Title: Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera releases tommorrow
Post by: mikeck on February 28, 2017, 09:22:10 PM
Quote from: acctingman on February 28, 2017, 09:59:24 AM
I know it's Steam reviews, but it's getting pretty beat up there.

Has there ever been a game that didn't get beat up by the droves of whiny bitchy 16 year olds that grow like fungus on the steam forums?
Title: Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera releases tommorrow
Post by: spelk on March 01, 2017, 12:50:59 AM
(playing on PS4 version)
If you like interesting story and overarching character choices affecting the narrative, you'll like this. Theres a lot of textual prose to read.

I'm 4 and a half hours in, and I've had one combat battle (the tutorial one), and I've managed to talk my way out of another battle with a keen sense of deception.
Title: Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera releases tommorrow
Post by: ghostryder on March 01, 2017, 05:39:54 PM
Most steam reviews seem centered around all the reading....many saying it's more fluff than substance while others say the writing is excellent. I guess it's subjective. I've read some being upset about cut content as was promised in Kickstarter--I never kept up on that but apparently a whole city was cut as was a mirror character for Morte. And that for the price the game is far too short.

More complaints that may have weight with those familiar with the boardgame world it's based on saying this isn't a decent translation to computer may be more legit. Being not familiar with that again I don't think it'll have an impact on myself but may have on those players hoping for that world.

Other complaints are centered on the turned based combat---they think this was for porting to consoles and that the original pause realtime would have been a better pick. And that there is so little combat whatever leveling mechanics there are are wasted.

Again though all that is just a list I've read from reviews--but overall most reviews seem posative. But i just can't bite just yet. still enjoying my Longwar campaign...I haven't even finished Tyranny- let alone 25 other games I have on a backlog.

Title: Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera releases tommorrow
Post by: spelk on March 01, 2017, 07:11:47 PM
I wouldn't read the Steam reviews for any sort of coherant rationality ;)

This is a story game, wrapped around unique RPG elements. Alec Meer's write up on RPS was pretty good (https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/02/28/torment-tides-of-numenera-review/), and matches my experience so far. I'm not familiar with the tabletop RPG source material, and although I played some of the original game, it's so long ago, I can't remember hardly any of it, and I didn't complete it.

I like the unusual setting/premise. The weird RPG mechanics with cyphers/esoteries and what not.

The writing is of very good quality, for an RPG.

I'm surprised it has kept me hooked for about 5 hours so far, and most of the action takes place in the dialogue box mid-screen. The graphical stuff is more supplementary (much like tabletop stuff) than pivotal in it's appreciation.

Looking forward to getting deeper into the storyline, so I can make better judgements on the characters and factions I'm following. but Horizon New Dawn has just got well and truly "in the way"!!! :)