GrogHeads Forum

IRL (In Real Life) => Tech Talk => Topic started by: Jarhead0331 on March 08, 2017, 07:06:40 AM

Title: Managing USB devices
Post by: Jarhead0331 on March 08, 2017, 07:06:40 AM
Ok...I've had it. There are so many God damn games that are unplayable unless I unplug nearly every one of my USB controllers and devices that loading up a different game in one sitting has become such a chore.

Is there some way to avoid or manage this? Some software that can keep games from getting confused or prioritize which controller is detected? Is there some order in which the devices need to be plugged in or specific ports for the device. I honestly don't know the difference between USB 3.0 or anything else.

In truth I have so many USB devices it's become pretty silly. Rudder pedals, HOTAS, wireless headphones, trackIR, VR Headset, gamepad controller, etc. it's so out of control...(see what I did there?)

Title: Re: Managing USB devices
Post by: bayonetbrant on March 08, 2017, 08:40:11 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 08, 2017, 07:06:40 AMIs there some way to avoid or manage this?

play boardgames?  ;)
Title: Re: Managing USB devices
Post by: mirth on March 08, 2017, 08:41:18 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on March 08, 2017, 08:40:11 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 08, 2017, 07:06:40 AMIs there some way to avoid or manage this?

play boardgames?  ;)

:2funny:
Title: Re: Managing USB devices
Post by: OJsDad on March 08, 2017, 08:46:30 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on March 08, 2017, 08:40:11 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 08, 2017, 07:06:40 AMIs there some way to avoid or manage this?

play boardgames?  ;)

:DD
Title: Re: Managing USB devices
Post by: Ubercat on March 10, 2017, 08:43:06 PM
LoL, yeah. I already offered to play board games with him some time back.  :-"
Title: Re: Managing USB devices
Post by: bbmike on March 10, 2017, 08:53:06 PM
I'm so glad we were able to help Jarhead.  ::)
Title: Re: Managing USB devices
Post by: jamus34 on March 11, 2017, 09:59:46 AM
Well, not really a help but buy a high quality hub.

At least then you only need to disconnect one cable instead of half a dozen.

I imagine there is a system way of re-configuring ports or something...but I would think unplugging 1 cable would be tres easier.
Title: Re: Managing USB devices
Post by: Jarhead0331 on April 29, 2017, 10:56:37 PM
Anyone else have any suggestions on this problem? I did get a good hub and it has not solved the problem. I can't be the only one to have experienced this issue.
Title: Re: Managing USB devices
Post by: Nefaro on April 29, 2017, 11:43:56 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 29, 2017, 10:56:37 PM
Anyone else have any suggestions on this problem? I did get a good hub and it has not solved the problem. I can't be the only one to have experienced this issue.


Did the USB hub provide a decent amount of amperage?  It was powered, I'm assuming.

Some hardware can have problems running through USB hubs, though.  So you may end up having to figure out which ones work okay through the hub, and plug everything else directly in. 




Other than that, you check out PCI Express USB expansion cards .. if you have a free expansion slot & enough room to fit it onto your motherboard.  And your power supply's got the extra juice.

Such as:


https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1DS4NA7781




(https://images10.newegg.com/ProductImage/A1DS_131247985077674172BxQHhSQLV9.jpg)
Title: Re: Managing USB devices
Post by: MikeGER on April 30, 2017, 01:31:15 AM
I keep the number of plugged-in USB devise to the minimum !

so no Gamecontroller, no TrackIR, no Joystick, if not really need for my upcoming game session

btw  i remember reports that TrackIR lifespan (heat in the cam electronics) ticks down when unnecessarily connected and chucking along, but maybe this goes back to TrackIR #IV  and #V is not effected

and esp. Gamecontroller and Joystick is often the bad combo
 
Maybe you make a list which games runs with which setup once you tested it  and -immersing wise- see it as checklist point to clear before getting the virtual plane or spaceship ready in the virtual hangar