Had two BSoD today while trying to race at Charlotte in Nascar '15.
I noticed that my old, but still wonderful i7-920 which I have had overclocked to 4 Ghz since the beginning was running in the mid to high 60's at almost idle. Finally used a compressed air cleaner to blow the dust out and it was almost like my own personal Dust Bowl. Add some wet cleaning wipes to wipe everything down and the idle temperature dropped by about 20c. Running Prime 95, I get temperatures in the mid 70's which is pretty darn good.
Don't get lazy like me. Clean out the dust from your computer once in a while!
While I've not seen any serious heating issues (I monitor temps with Speedfan and GPU-Z) I'm way overdue to do something similar to my old PC, but with my luck would probably end up zapping/frying my CPU #:-). I do gotta wonder about your use of wet wipes though? :wow:
Quote from: steve58 on March 25, 2017, 09:32:38 AM
I do gotta wonder about your use of wet wipes though? :wow:
After using the air canister, I took a wet wipe and just wiped down the fan meshes of the case and other solid surfaces. Definitely did not come near any electrical parts with it.
Quote from: WallysWorld on March 25, 2017, 01:39:04 PM
Quote from: steve58 on March 25, 2017, 09:32:38 AM
I do gotta wonder about your use of wet wipes though? :wow:
After using the air canister, I took a wet wipe and just wiped down the fan meshes of the case and other solid surfaces. Definitely did not come near any electrical parts with it.
Instead of wet wipes I would suggest swiffer wipes or swiffer dusters.
A dry paper towel should be fine as well.
Thanks for the advice. I will remember it for the next cleaning.
Quote from: steve58 on March 25, 2017, 09:32:38 AM
While I've not seen any serious heating issues (I monitor temps with Speedfan and GPU-Z) I'm way overdue to do something similar to my old PC, but with my luck would probably end up zapping/frying my CPU #:-). I do gotta wonder about your use of wet wipes though? :wow:
I'm also overdue.
Been hoping to get a new video card this year. Wanted to wait until I got that before cracking open my tower. That thing is so damn heavy. Didn't realize that when I ordered it.
Usually I just blow it out with the water vaporless canned air. But when they get older, it's time to get some large cotton swabs.
Maybe dip the tip in a little rubbing alcohol to wet the cotton down just a bit, if need be, for the more caked-on areas such as case fan blades. Since rubbing alcohol evaporates much faster than water. As long as it's not dripping off, should be okay doing the fan blades.