GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: MetalDog on April 07, 2017, 05:55:17 AM

Title: FRIDAYS on flame now...with Rock n Roll
Post by: MetalDog on April 07, 2017, 05:55:17 AM



Got a lot going on.  Visits to my GF will sandwich the weekend.  The lawn needs mowed and D&D needs more story for the next play session.  Plus, I am working on a new Bracket Challenge for music that I hope to post Sunday.

As for games, there will be Civ!  I have a campaign started as the H.R.E.  I share an island with Frederick the Great's Germany.  Well, I used to.  I've wiped him off the map you see.  Byzantium is island creeping towards me.  Now I have to build a navy.
Title: Re: FRIDAYS on flame now...with Rock n Roll
Post by: mirth on April 07, 2017, 05:57:18 AM
Thank God. I was getting worried.
Title: Re: FRIDAYS on flame now...with Rock n Roll
Post by: Rayfer on April 07, 2017, 06:40:14 AM
Thinking about firing up Stellaris with its recent large patch/upgrade....holding off on the new DLC until the dust clears and the inevitable patches come out.
Title: Re: FRIDAYS on flame now...with Rock n Roll
Post by: JasonPratt on April 07, 2017, 07:36:33 AM
In my PBEM of Decisive Campaigns: Blitz vs Barth, I'm sure I'll be trying to put his attempts at this out to pot...

Title: Re: FRIDAYS on flame now...with Rock n Roll
Post by: Gusington on April 07, 2017, 07:58:27 AM
I've been fortunate and have acquired a nice batch of (new to me) games lately, pretty unexpectedly. Lichdom: Battlemage, Dying Light, Men of War: Assault Squad 2 and Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion. Before I had haphazardly acquired all of these I was originally planning to start a new Medieval 2: Total War campaign using Stainless Steel 3 and jump back in to The Witcher...but now I don't know. Also tracking the eventual release of Kingdom Come: Deliverance and Vampyr.
Title: Re: FRIDAYS on flame now...with Rock n Roll
Post by: bbmike on April 07, 2017, 08:06:59 AM
Stellaris and Civ6 most likely.
Title: Re: FRIDAYS on flame now...with Rock n Roll
Post by: Jarhead0331 on April 07, 2017, 08:33:24 AM
A bit overwhelmed with gaming now...

Unquestionably, there will be a lot of Steel Division, probably some Stellaris, testing out the new Utopia DLC, IL-2 1946 B.A.T. mod missions, mostly in the Jet Age, Star Citizen, testing the new PTU version 2.6.3 and testing out my newest ship, a DRAKE Herald...and finally some ARMA 3 and GR: Widlands to round out the weekend.

Some of this may be cut short if the weather is nice. I picked up the new DJI Mavic Pro drone that I've been really looking forward to testing. 
Title: Re: FRIDAYS on flame now...with Rock n Roll
Post by: mirth on April 07, 2017, 08:36:01 AM
Tabletop gaming tomorrow. Battle of Atlanta with minis. I'm playing Confederate.
Title: Re: FRIDAYS on flame now...with Rock n Roll
Post by: -budd- on April 07, 2017, 08:50:47 AM
No damn idea yet, besides getting my CSME pbem turn out. I'm feeling the pull of Steel Division, might pull the trigger. Taking a break from EA title PAMELA, seen most of the stuff, going to wait for some more to be added. Played a little Gremlins INC. lately and its cutthroat gameplay, theme and music are really well done.If the weather is halfway decent it will be yard work, also have some work on my daughter's and my bike, spring tune up.
Title: Re: FRIDAYS on flame now...with Rock n Roll
Post by: jamus34 on April 07, 2017, 09:02:42 AM
Another weekend of a ton of sheet going on so gaming will be limited.

Looking to start another round of EU4 Scottish conquest as long as pdox won't break my damn save.
Title: Re: FRIDAYS on flame now...with Rock n Roll
Post by: Barthheart on April 07, 2017, 10:26:53 AM
PBEM Flashpoint Campaigns with OJs Dad.... still getting stomped by Germans.  :P
PBEM DC1 with Jason... I need to write up turn 2 and play turn 3... trying to close some pockets.  >:D

Sorry for the delay on those guys I got distracted by shiny!  :D

Steel Division! Played against very easy AI and won. This level let me get some practice with the controls and flow of the game so next one will be at Easy level.

Need to update my "diary" for the Jena campaign that Cyrano is running. Interesting things are happening.  :knuppel2:

Paint and mount my new bird houses.
Title: Re: FRIDAYS on flame now...with Rock n Roll
Post by: Sir Slash on April 07, 2017, 10:31:41 AM
Another busy weekend as usual will limit my gaming... Dammit! But I got Alea Jacta Est on my mind again and I can rip-off a couple of turns in that game when it gets quiet easily enough so, that's my 'go-to'. Also still piddling with Pillars of Eternity's quests that I haven't finished just to see how they come out.
Title: Re: FRIDAYS on flame now...with Rock n Roll
Post by: JasonPratt on April 07, 2017, 11:18:26 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on April 07, 2017, 10:26:53 AM
PBEM Flashpoint Campaigns with OJs Dad.... still getting stomped by Germans.  :P
PBEM DC1 with Jason... I need to write up turn 2 and play turn 3... trying to close some pockets.  >:D

Sorry for the delay on those guys I got distracted by shiny!  :D

Heck, I still haven't posted up my 0th and 1st AAR entries. (They're done, I just want to make sure I have permission to use a reference first.) I've started work on Turn 2's AAR last night. So even if I don't get another turn played, I mean to catch up on producing the AARs this weekend. Ideally get them posted up through Turn 3.
Title: Re: FRIDAYS on flame now...with Rock n Roll
Post by: Crossroads on April 07, 2017, 11:29:37 AM
Quote from: JasonPratt on April 07, 2017, 07:36:33 AM



If you ever feel dressing in feathers is err... feminine, look no further. Winged Hussars, the official bad@ss shock troops of all times  :knuppel2:

Title: Re: FRIDAYS on flame now...with Rock n Roll
Post by: mirth on April 07, 2017, 11:37:53 AM
That video is fantastic
Title: Re: FRIDAYS on flame now...with Rock n Roll
Post by: -budd- on April 07, 2017, 04:07:37 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on April 07, 2017, 11:18:26 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on April 07, 2017, 10:26:53 AM
PBEM Flashpoint Campaigns with OJs Dad.... still getting stomped by Germans.  :P
PBEM DC1 with Jason... I need to write up turn 2 and play turn 3... trying to close some pockets.  >:D

Sorry for the delay on those guys I got distracted by shiny!  :D

Heck, I still haven't posted up my 0th and 1st AAR entries. (They're done, I just want to make sure I have permission to use a reference first.) I've started work on Turn 2's AAR last night. So even if I don't get another turn played, I mean to catch up on producing the AARs this weekend. Ideally get them posted up through Turn 3.
Thought you guys forgot about your captive audience. :clap:
Title: Re: FRIDAYS on flame now...with Rock n Roll
Post by: CJReich46 on April 07, 2017, 06:12:42 PM
First off MD, \m/ on BÖC and I liked the Winged Hussars video too.

Let's see, working.  :uglystupid2: (I love retail)

So possibly Stellaris, Emperor Rise of the Middle Kingdom

But I have been watching some streams of Stellaris : Utopia and that has been helping with understanding the mechanics.


Title: Re: FRIDAYS on flame now...with Rock n Roll
Post by: Toonces on April 07, 2017, 06:51:50 PM
I haven't fired up a flight sim in about forever.  I'd like to get some sorties in with BMS Falcon, but since I haven't played it in so long I'm probably going to stick with something simple like Wings Over Flanders Field. 

I'm not sure what else just yet.  Not too much time to game this weekend, unfortunately.  Maybe some Scourge of War: Gettysburg...something I know how to play and don't have to sweat configuring too much.
Title: Re: FRIDAYS on flame now...with Rock n Roll
Post by: Gusington on April 07, 2017, 06:56:11 PM
^No one should be surprised that you haven't fired up a flight sim in some time since you flew military aircraft For Realz.
Title: Re: FRIDAYS on flame now...with Rock n Roll
Post by: MengJiao on April 07, 2017, 08:48:27 PM
Quote from: mirth on April 07, 2017, 05:57:18 AM
Thank God. I was getting worried.

Yep.
Title: Re: FRIDAYS on flame now...with Rock n Roll
Post by: Ubercat on April 07, 2017, 09:14:59 PM
Quote from: Gusington on April 07, 2017, 06:56:11 PM
^No one should be surprised that you haven't fired up a flight sim in some time since you flew military aircraft For Realz.

Heh, as a private pilot I've never gotten into flight sims either. I just checked my log book out of curiosity. My last flight was July 22nd, '02!
Title: Re: FRIDAYS on flame now...with Rock n Roll
Post by: DoctorQuest on April 07, 2017, 09:48:05 PM
Quote from: Ubercat on April 07, 2017, 09:14:59 PM
Quote from: Gusington on April 07, 2017, 06:56:11 PM
^No one should be surprised that you haven't fired up a flight sim in some time since you flew military aircraft For Realz.

Heh, as a private pilot I've never gotten into flight sims either. I just checked my log book out of curiosity. My last flight was July 22nd, '02!

I guess it's a matter of taste. I'm working on my private pilot's license but simming will always be my first choice in games.

Probably spending most of my computer time this weekend installing my new 2TB hard drive and moving data and OSs around. I need the space for IL-2 B.A.T. among other things.
Title: Re: FRIDAYS on flame now...with Rock n Roll
Post by: Kushan on April 07, 2017, 11:38:29 PM
Finding myself in a position I haven't been in awhile, too much to play and not enough time. I'm currently in the process of creating Operation El Dorado as a CMANO scenario. I'm a little surprised no has done it yet or at least not that I have seen. Its my first recreation of an actual event and I'm really enjoying it. Finding that its keeping my event and scripting ambitions in check. I have a bad habit of being to ambitious and overthinking my scenarios. Planning on showing it off on my Twitch stream next Saturday with the public release of the scenario hopefully following in the next few weeks.

I'm loving Steel Division. With only 4 divisions and 2 maps in at the moment it is a bit repetitive but I'm still enjoying it. Had a great match earlier. Me and 2 medium AIs as the Allies vs a medium and Easy AI Axis. We came within a hairs breath of losing. While I was concentrating on the middle and right side of the map, I failed to notice the Enemy AI had pushed a bulge down all the way to our side of the map, effectively splitting one of my AI allies off. With my force in the middle heavily engaged I formed a small relief force of new units. Couple of enemy AT guns and artillery with some infantry made it slow going. My infantry got pinned down and the enemy AT guns prevented my armor from supporting effectively. Enemy AI had 2,850 out of 3,000 conquest points when we finally started to push it back. Eventually I was able to break some units from the center, and with the relief force was eventually able to collapse the bulge. Was a hard fight on the left the whole battle, but the AI on the right eventually managed to breakthrough and push north and swing left. Eventually got the win. Was by far the best battle I've seen since I played Wargame ALB, little ironic. Really wish I had been recording so I could upload it. Would have been an awesome impressions video.

Will be doing a Stellaris Utopia MP match for my stream tomorrow. Bound to be some solo Stellaris as well. Messed around a little with the new patch but I had kept thinking about Steel Division so I went and played that which led to the battle above.

Bound to be some more Ghost Recon Wildlands and The Division this weekend as well.
Title: Re: FRIDAYS on flame now...with Rock n Roll
Post by: FarAway Sooner on April 08, 2017, 12:10:54 AM
Solo Stellaris for me is about it. 

Maybe some Soda Dungeon with my son, too.  That one's a delightful little romp, and simple enough that he can follow it and even do some of the math to figure out which attack combos will kill the most enemies before they get an attack in.
Title: Re: FRIDAYS on flame now...with Rock n Roll
Post by: MikeGER on April 08, 2017, 04:02:48 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 07, 2017, 08:33:24 AM
Some of this may be cut short if the weather is nice. I picked up the new DJI Mavic Pro drone that I've been really looking forward to testing.

This deserves its own new AAR thread when enuf experiences with the new drone got collected  O0


...on topic
I plan mostly to play Afghanistan 11 with 1.07 beta patch here, Sunday will be a summer day so activities will be shifted to the outdoors  ...and the decision about taking the plunge of getting Steel Division: Normandy 44 :-[
Title: Re: FRIDAYS on flame now...with Rock n Roll
Post by: Martok on April 08, 2017, 05:02:25 AM
For me, it's Stellaris: Utopia and Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes for me this weekend.  That, and/or possibly some Pillars of Eternity. 
Title: Re: FRIDAYS on flame now...with Rock n Roll
Post by: Bison on April 08, 2017, 01:57:36 PM
I did yard work and now don't want to move, but The U.S. Civil War is staring at me.  Daring me.  Taunting me.  I told it to clean up the miniatures painting table and I'd consider playing.  Its just sitting there...staring....
Title: Re: FRIDAYS on flame now...with Rock n Roll
Post by: Toonces on April 08, 2017, 03:36:13 PM
DO IT.

DOOOOOOO IT!!1!!
Title: Re: FRIDAYS on flame now...with Rock n Roll
Post by: Toonces on April 08, 2017, 03:37:07 PM
My brain is completely, utterly fried.  I'm so tired of thinking that I can't even think of what to play. 

A board game is out of the question.
Title: Re: FRIDAYS on flame now...with Rock n Roll
Post by: -budd- on April 08, 2017, 06:35:14 PM
Quote from: Toonces on April 08, 2017, 03:37:07 PM
My brain is completely, utterly fried.  I'm so tired of thinking that I can't even think of what to play. 

A board game is out of the question.

Go start a FPS and just blast stuff, no thinking required. It's carthartic :knuppel2:
Title: Re: FRIDAYS on flame now...with Rock n Roll
Post by: Martok on April 09, 2017, 02:33:26 AM
I have to roll my eyes at myself, as I ended up playing (what else?) Birth of the Federation before I went to bed this afternoon.  ::)  I fired up a new Federation campaign, using the Ultimate Mod 5 as usual.  Really wish I'd been taking notes on this one, as it would made for a decent AAR thus far -- early first-contacts with several minor races, a couple *very* nice star systems that I colonized...and rising friction with the Dominion, who are situated to my galactic west (our entire shared border zone is disputed territory -- fun!). 

As for Fallen Enchantress:  Legendary Heroes, I have only this to say:  Spiders.  Why did it have to spiders??  :buck2: 
Title: Re: FRIDAYS on flame now...with Rock n Roll
Post by: Hofstadter on April 09, 2017, 09:54:31 AM
Trying to get out if my YouTube slump. Posted a video asking for advice, didn't get a lot.onlyl ideas I got are the shilovo campaign for graviteam and witw.

Tried to have a go at decisive campaigns Barbarossa, but that game is just WAY too difficult for me. Also debating pulling the trigger on player unknown battlegrounds

Overwatch I'm taking a break from, gotten too cancerous. Also Got my five year anniversary with my partner tomorrow, going to lunch in the CBD
Title: Re: FRIDAYS on flame now...with Rock n Roll
Post by: Bison on April 09, 2017, 10:05:58 AM
Happy Anniversary! 

Decisive Campaigns can be intimidating, but if you just play and can accept that you'll be playing "suboptimal" as you learn the game everything does start to click.  I always found that if I split the overall campaign map into three sections, it helps in the planning.  Anyway good luck.
Title: Re: FRIDAYS on flame now...with Rock n Roll
Post by: Gusington on April 09, 2017, 12:08:45 PM
Happy Anniversary Hof. What is CBD?
Title: Re: FRIDAYS on flame now...with Rock n Roll
Post by: JasonPratt on April 09, 2017, 07:17:26 PM
I have now posted the first entry on my side of the AAR vs Barth. MY WEEKEND WOULD BE MORE COMPLETE IF I COULD POST ALL THREE SO FAR! :D -- but I'll probably post them one a day for a while.

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=19129.msg513867#msg513867
Title: Re: FRIDAYS on flame now...with Rock n Roll
Post by: bbmike on April 09, 2017, 07:27:26 PM
Happy Anniversary, Hofstadter!  O0
Title: Re: FRIDAYS on flame now...with Rock n Roll
Post by: Tuna on April 09, 2017, 08:08:12 PM
Binge watched season 3 of Homeland (since Showtime was free this weekend - wish I had known it was free all week!). Played a lil Panzer Battles demo, really liking this scale, that Demo is making me want to make a PB purchase. Played a lil World of Warships Friday and Saturday night. Bought Battle of Moscow on sale today. Flew a couple sorties in the ME 110, but reverted back to my PE2, because the sides were lopsided. All and all a good weekend!
Title: Re: FRIDAYS on flame now...with Rock n Roll
Post by: Jarhead0331 on April 09, 2017, 08:48:14 PM
Quote from: Tuna on April 09, 2017, 08:08:12 PM
Binge watched season 3 of Homeland (since Showtime was free this weekend - wish I had known it was free all week!).

Talk about a show that took a major nose dive into the $hitter.
Title: Re: FRIDAYS on flame now...with Rock n Roll
Post by: MengJiao on April 09, 2017, 09:04:52 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on April 07, 2017, 08:48:27 PM
Quote from: mirth on April 07, 2017, 05:57:18 AM
Thank God. I was getting worried.

Yep.

I played some RoF and some Mius Front
Title: Re: FRIDAYS on flame now...with Rock n Roll
Post by: Hofstadter on April 10, 2017, 01:07:13 AM
Quote from: Gusington on April 09, 2017, 12:08:45 PM
Happy Anniversary Hof. What is CBD?

Central Business District, the main part of melbourne

F*#^ love it there. The structure is an autistic dream.

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gracerealtymelbourne.net%2Fuploads%2F4%2F9%2F3%2F3%2F49331045%2Fmelbourne-cbd-map.png%3F445&hash=22970c0f07526d2d90d80979318ecb15e9fc0920)

EDIT: welp, DCB irritated me. The german objective was independance, yet I held onto each major thing quite well. with 23 BLOODY TURNS LEFT IT TOLD ME I LOST

*flips off the game* Screw you, I held moscow, i held the lines historically (except the south, they got a bit further but didnt take Stalingrad) I win.
Title: Re: FRIDAYS on flame now...with Rock n Roll
Post by: JasonPratt on April 10, 2017, 07:48:01 AM
Weird. I can't think of a Soviet loss-trigger that makes sense in that situation.

Here's Hof's post-mortem; I haven't watched it all yet, maybe at the end I'll see something that makes sense.

Title: Re: FRIDAYS on flame now...with Rock n Roll
Post by: Gusington on April 10, 2017, 07:56:30 AM
Ah alrighty then Hof. Enjoy!
Title: Re: FRIDAYS on flame now...with Rock n Roll
Post by: Hofstadter on April 10, 2017, 08:00:16 AM
OH I FIGURED IT OUT

I went into the german campaign, selected independence

ROSTOV IS AN OBJECTIVE. I LOST IT THEN AND THE GAME ENDED.
Title: Re: FRIDAYS on flame now...with Rock n Roll
Post by: JasonPratt on April 10, 2017, 08:05:45 AM
I'll need to double-check the rules, but I seem to recall that if the Germans choose military independence then in the south they have to take Stalingrad as well as Rostov. So I don't understand the loss there.

...oh, okay, checked the rules, it's Rostov + Kharkov OR + Sevastopol, both held for one month. So it did trigger a sudden death. Stalingrad has nothing to do with anything (except being an orange point city).

The loss doesn't mean Russia gives up. It only means the Germans have done that much better historically in one theater. I can see why this win condition would be screwy, though -- it would give the win to the Germans EVEN IF THE RUSSIANS HAD PUSHED BACK TO BERLIN ON THE NORTH AND CENTRAL FRONTS! Not that that's really possible, I suppose, but in theory.
Title: Re: FRIDAYS on flame now...with Rock n Roll
Post by: JasonPratt on April 10, 2017, 08:06:49 AM
Quote from: Hofstadter on April 10, 2017, 08:00:16 AM
OH I FIGURED IT OUT

I went into the german campaign, selected independence

ROSTOV IS AN OBJECTIVE. I LOST IT THEN AND THE GAME ENDED.

Well, you lost it, plus one or both of the other two cities necessary for a GermIndi win -- and you had lost both for a month concurrently without retaking either of them.
Title: Re: FRIDAYS on flame now...with Rock n Roll
Post by: JasonPratt on April 10, 2017, 08:23:08 AM
To be clear, Rostov is always the South Front objective. Stalingrad never. (That's Case Blue I guess. ;) ) On either of the other two German plans, they must hold the assigned objective (Moscow, or whatever Hitler decides today) at the end of the game -- and then that only counts as extra points for them.

On the German Indi plan, they only need to hold any Front objective for a month without it being retaken for a sudden death trigger -- but for a South win in that case, it can't only be Rostov, they also have to hold Kark or Sevast for a month.

Another sudden death trigger would be if Hitler decides things are going too sucky on various fronts (if I recall correctly?), so I suppose my theoretical South Front win wouldn't trigger if the Russians are at the gates somehow. Similarly if the Soviets somehow take one of the cities across the German border, or if the Soviets somehow destroy one of the Army Group HQs.

For the Germans, there are only two sudden death wins: holding any target city for one month (with the south front including Kark or Sevast) under the German Indi plan, or holding all target cities at any time under the other two plans.

I seem to recall there being another sudden death trigger, where if any front loses all its non-HQ units at any time, that player instantly loses. (HQ units get reconstituted quickly in various ways if overrun.) This is effectively why I surrendered to Barth, since I was about to lose all my central theater non-HQ units. But looking over the manual pdf, I haven't found reference to that yet.
Title: Re: FRIDAYS on flame now...with Rock n Roll
Post by: Philippe on April 10, 2017, 10:12:01 AM
FYI only, Vic just released a private beta today over on the Matrix forum (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1530), so over the next few days there is the possibility of tinkering in a small way with the game mechanics.

So if there's anything in here that seems off (and even if there isn't), you might want to mention some of this over there to bring it to their attention.

[Note: Just took a look at a bit of that video, and it seems to be using version 1.02g.  The current version is 1.04 (the private beta is 1.05), so any odd behavior in those games is probably the result of using a really ancient version.  If you do post anything over at the Matrix site, make sure to mention that you've been playing 1.02g].