Quote
Please note that this giveaway is only running for the next 48 hours as of the publication of this post. We can't just give away codes forever, but for the next two days we've got as many codes as there are people who want them. You can check the fancy timer in the sidebar for how much time is left. Note that in order to prevent bots from taking codes, you must first create an Ars account and be logged into it in order to claim a Witcher code.
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/04/ars-and-gog-two-great-tastes-that-go-great-together/
update:
Quote
Apologies, all—this is proving to be popular so far beyond what we'd projected that we need to take a bit and reassess how we're handling the codes. We'll resume the giveaway in the next hour or so once we've got a better method in place!
...not sure what they'll be doing now. Just keep checking the link I guess.
I couldn't create an account. Their servers must be getting crushed by new account creations.
Latest update:
QuoteAll righty, the code giveaway is back on. Right now we're having to limit it to existing Ars accounts only, since many thousands of bots trying to simultaneously register for Ars accounts was killing the site pretty hard. We've got registration temporarily disabled for now, but we'll re-enable it shortly once we have another workaround in place. Who knew that the word "free" could cause so much chaos?
More info:
QuoteLee Hutchinson Senior Technology Editor
OKAY. Things should be a little more stable now and codes should once again be get-able.
Quick notes:
1) We're still limiting this to logged-in users
2) We've temporarily disabled new user registration in order to combat the multiple-thousands-per-second of registration attempts that was making the backend weep (massive simultaneous user registration isn't typically something you design for, and it's a use case that we're not really set up to handle well due to all of the non-cacheable stuff that has to happen)
3) We're working on more ways to smooth this out
4) New user reg will be re-enabled shortly (i.e., at some point in the next few hours as of the timestamp on this message) once we implement some more workarounds
All in all it's been a fun morning.
Are there really that many people that don't have this? It's been on sale multiple times for practically pennies hasn't it?
I have the disk version. Be nice to add it to my GOG library.
Anyway, it sounds like the issue for Ars was the number of bots hitting the reg page.
Yeah, I checked and it's $10 normal price on Steam, so I'm sure it's been discounted down to $5 or less. I guess free is free, but still. Not worth having thousands of bots doing whatever they do for whatever reason they'd do it.
I've never even heard of that site that's advertising the game.
I have an ancient disk copy so I grabbed a code earlier this morning. My copy of Witcher 3 is on GOG so I am hoping I don't have any issues.
Quote from: Toonces on April 25, 2017, 01:21:02 PM
Yeah, I checked and it's $10 normal price on Steam, so I'm sure it's been discounted down to $5 or less. I guess free is free, but still. Not worth having thousands of bots doing whatever they do for whatever reason they'd do it.
I've never even heard of that site that's advertising the game.
You've never heard of Ars Technica? Nerd card revoked!
It's either that or he never heard of GOG 💩
Quote from: Gusington on April 25, 2017, 01:27:04 PM
It's either that or he never heard of GOG 💩
Lol. That's possible too.
I was buying games on GoG before you guys were born. But that Ars site is a new one for me.
Turns out my Witcher 1 copy is on disk, too, so heck I might just pick up a copy too.
DO IT
He can't create an account at the moment. So no dice.
-sigh-
What shall we do with The Commander...
Well that was painful, but I got my copy.
Me too! GOG working fine, unlike Steam at the moment.
Takes a while for that site to send an email activation it looks like
Appears that you just need a valid email address now.
Quote
Note that in order to help prevent bots from taking codes you'll have to supply a working e-mail address in order to claim a Witcher code.
Also this...
Quote
Quick update for anyone getting "This code has already been redeemed" errors at GOG: we've identified a funky problem with our code dispensing that made it not quite atomic enough at generating codes. We've deployed a fix that should take care of it.
Try again with a different email address. If you're using gmail, add a plus sign and a temporary label before the "@" to create a quick alias and try that. For example, if your gmail account is "firstname.lastname@gmail.com," try "firstname.lastname+ars@gmail.com" or "firstname.lastname+gog@gmail.com". You can use any string of text you want.
Grab a new code and try again. That ought to get you going. Apologies for the funkiness.
This hasn't been the smoothest run promotion ever :P