I've been playing this to death for the past couple of weeks playing the 1941-45 campaign as the Russians.
Unfortunately after roughly 60 turns the German AI is taking around an hour for it to execute its turns, making further progress with the grand campaign utterly impractical. I suspect - having looked at the resource monitor the CPU is maxed out - that the number of things the AI is trying to do is just overwhelming the CPU, as the game only seems to run on 1 CPU core. Anyone else having this problem?
Fortunately the smaller scenarios I've played don't seem to be having this problem, nor the early turns of the campaign, but I guess that is because there are not so many units compared to the grand campaign.
For me it's a real shame, as the grand campaign interests me most. The game is so ambitious, and it's sad that - as far as I can see - it fails to realise its potential because the CPU just can't cope with what is being asked of it. It'll stay on my hard drive because the smaller scenarios are still playable, and it's a wonderfully detailed game. The time required for campaign AI turns by 1942 are now a complete nightmare - and I complained about Pride of Nations taking up to 5 minutes with it's turns! All is forgiven now... :'(
Curious...what kind of CPU do you have?
I've never had that problem. I once played in a netbook too.
i3 2.93 GHz quad core.
Quote from: jomni on April 26, 2017, 12:09:43 AM
I've never had that problem. I once played in a netbook too.
Were you playing well into the full campaign, or the scenarios? I find the AI turn runs fine in the smaller scenarios.
Quote from: Boggit on April 26, 2017, 12:11:25 AM
Quote from: jomni on April 26, 2017, 12:09:43 AM
I've never had that problem. I once played in a netbook too.
Were you playing well into the full campaign, or the scenarios? I find the AI turn runs fine in the smaller scenarios.
I finished the full Russian campaign.
i3 should be beyond minimum. What's your RAM?
Someone did report a similar problem at Slitherine (no resolution) but the case did not materialize in the Matrix forums.
Quote from: jomni on April 26, 2017, 12:17:32 AM
Quote from: Boggit on April 26, 2017, 12:11:25 AM
Quote from: jomni on April 26, 2017, 12:09:43 AM
I've never had that problem. I once played in a netbook too.
Were you playing well into the full campaign, or the scenarios? I find the AI turn runs fine in the smaller scenarios.
I finished the full Russian campaign.
i3 should be beyond minimum. What's your RAM?
Someone did report a similar problem at Slitherine (no resolution) but the case did not materialize in the Matrix forums.
I'm encouraged that you finished the Russian campaign, which is what I was playing.
I thought the i3 was enough too. I just realised i3 are dual core, but Dxdiag says I have 4 CPU's so I'm confused on that point. It's irrelevant though as the game apparently uses only 1 core. I have 8Gb of RAM. To be honest I wasn't expecting an issue with it, as it's not like there is a massive graphics requirement. If you can suggest a fix that works I'll be a happy puppy! :smitten:
Wild throw here, but try to rename the video folder so it doesnt load.
There is a slowdown thread on matrix where people have confirmed this working. Perhaps the codec isnt working well.
Just rename the folder and see what gives.
Try disabling your anti virus, firewalls, etc, and check out your performance. I recall some other games such as World War 1 by AGEOD had problems with anti virus programs. Anyway worth a try.
Quote from: Yskonyn on April 26, 2017, 01:10:50 AM
Wild throw here, but try to rename the video folder so it doesnt load.
There is a slowdown thread on matrix where people have confirmed this working. Perhaps the codec isnt working well.
Just rename the folder and see what gives.
also, i'd recommend to rename your sound folder, too. there were threads on the matrix forums about the codecs for video AND sound problems... it's worth a try, i guess. if nothing fixes your problem, please ask on the matrix forums - the tech forums there have been very helpful in the past! (while searching for solutions, don't miss to search on the steam discussion, too.)
good luck with your game!
Similar to what happens in the Decisive Campaigns series for me. The Difficulty Level choices have a setting that allows the AI as much time as it wants to make it's moves and when I play on it, the AI just moves like a rock rolling up-hill. I have to play on a lesser setting to be able to play at all. The lesser setting is still plenty tough though.
Quote from: Yskonyn on April 26, 2017, 01:10:50 AM
Wild throw here, but try to rename the video folder so it doesnt load.
There is a slowdown thread on matrix where people have confirmed this working. Perhaps the codec isnt working well.
Just rename the folder and see what gives.
As per your advice (and also the Steam forums), I have renamed not just the videos, but the sound folder too. I have restored them as it made absolutely no difference. But I do thank you for the thought - it is appreciated, even though it didn't work. :'(
You'll see here in the attachments just how long the turns are taking and the view on the monitor showing the CPU maxed out.
Quote from: Wburn on April 26, 2017, 02:32:11 AM
Try disabling your anti virus, firewalls, etc, and check out your performance. I recall some other games such as World War 1 by AGEOD had problems with anti virus programs. Anyway worth a try.
Thanks.
Quote from: chemkid on April 26, 2017, 04:10:16 AM
Quote from: Yskonyn on April 26, 2017, 01:10:50 AM
Wild throw here, but try to rename the video folder so it doesnt load.
There is a slowdown thread on matrix where people have confirmed this working. Perhaps the codec isnt working well.
Just rename the folder and see what gives.
also, i'd recommend to rename your sound folder, too. there were threads on the matrix forums about the codecs for video AND sound problems... it's worth a try, i guess. if nothing fixes your problem, please ask on the matrix forums - the tech forums there have been very helpful in the past! (while searching for solutions, don't miss to search on the steam discussion, too.)
good luck with your game!
I've done all you suggest, save asking on the Matrix forums... :-[ I did however, raise a support ticket with Matrix... hopefully that will work
Quote from: Sir Slash on April 26, 2017, 10:33:14 AM
Similar to what happens in the Decisive Campaigns series for me. The Difficulty Level choices have a setting that allows the AI as much time as it wants to make it's moves and when I play on it, the AI just moves like a rock rolling up-hill. I have to play on a lesser setting to be able to play at all. The lesser setting is still plenty tough though.
I have those games, and they play fine on my machine, so Lord knows what you'd make of the 1941-45 campaign in GGWitE? It appears my earlier attachment didn't show - just check out these turn times.... :hide:
Weird issue.
I once had a problem with a race sim maxing out my cpu at times and it resulted in a form of slow-mo action. Pretty weird experience as the framerate was still good and there was no stuttering.
The whole game just seemed to run slower. That might be happening here as well. With the other tips tried I think we pretty much ruled out (other) software issues.
Hopefully Matrix can chime in, but I think the game just brings your cpu to its knees.