GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Jarhead0331 on April 27, 2017, 01:15:56 PM

Title: Expeditions: Vikings?
Post by: Jarhead0331 on April 27, 2017, 01:15:56 PM
Anyone playing this? Conquistadors was an interesting title.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/445190/Expeditions_Viking/ (http://store.steampowered.com/app/445190/Expeditions_Viking/)
Title: Re: Expeditions: Vikings?
Post by: Barthheart on April 27, 2017, 01:20:01 PM
Those pics seem to have a lot of explosions for Viking battles...  ???
Title: Re: Expeditions: Vikings?
Post by: Jarhead0331 on April 27, 2017, 01:28:32 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on April 27, 2017, 01:20:01 PM
Those pics seem to have a lot of explosions for Viking battles...  ???

Vikings and explosions...two of my favorite things.

Looks like fire to me. Pillaging = flames. But there does appear to be some element of magic in the game. Some of the enemies look suspiciously like ghosts, so who knows. Maybe these viking are equipped with flamethrowers?
Title: Re: Expeditions: Vikings?
Post by: Barthheart on April 27, 2017, 01:28:58 PM
 :2funny:
Title: Re: Expeditions: Vikings?
Post by: Gusington on April 27, 2017, 01:31:56 PM
Is there a supernatural element to the Conquistadors game?
Title: Re: Expeditions: Vikings?
Post by: Jarhead0331 on April 27, 2017, 01:36:08 PM
Quote from: Gusington on April 27, 2017, 01:31:56 PM
Is there a supernatural element to the Conquistadors game?

Not that I'm aware of, but in truth, I never really played it enough to know for certain. It seemed pretty historical to me, though.
Title: Re: Expeditions: Vikings?
Post by: Gusington on April 27, 2017, 01:45:39 PM
That's what I thought. Not that a bit of fantasy would not be cool in this game if done right.
Title: Re: Expeditions: Vikings?
Post by: -budd- on April 27, 2017, 08:56:02 PM
I enjoyed the first game. I'll probably pick this up sooner or later. It looks more fleshed out than the original.
Title: Re: Expeditions: Vikings?
Post by: Jarhead0331 on April 27, 2017, 09:34:48 PM
The story is engrossing so far. Very good writing.
Title: Re: Expeditions: Vikings?
Post by: HoodedHorseJoe on April 28, 2017, 03:18:51 AM
There wasn't a any fantasy elements in the Conquistadors game, no. I've got this but just haven't had a chance to play it, but our reviewer really liked so I really should give it a go. I liked Conquistadors, thought is had a lot of cool things going for it.

The Viking Age has a lot of mythology associated with it though, so guess there's more room for fantasy elements.
Title: Re: Expeditions: Vikings?
Post by: Tpek on April 28, 2017, 04:36:21 AM
Vikings, the new Zombies.

Every week a new Viking-themed game.

So... whose next in line? Martians? Aztecs? Shoe salesmen?
Title: Re: Expeditions: Vikings?
Post by: Jarhead0331 on April 28, 2017, 06:12:42 AM
Everything has already been done before...would you prefer another WWII themed game?

Anyway, many things have been done, but few have been done well. This one is off to a promising start.
Title: Re: Expeditions: Vikings?
Post by: Tpek on April 28, 2017, 08:34:03 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 28, 2017, 06:12:42 AM
Everything has already been done before...would you prefer another WWII themed game?

Anyway, many things have been done, but few have been done well. This one is off to a promising start.

I'm not complaining.
It's just that the past year and half or so, Viking themed games (video games, board games, etc...) and become increasingly and tremendously common.
It's like a new fad has replaced the Zombie-theme of yesteryear.
Title: Re: Expeditions: Vikings?
Post by: Jarhead0331 on April 28, 2017, 08:41:07 AM
Quote from: Tpek on April 28, 2017, 08:34:03 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 28, 2017, 06:12:42 AM
Everything has already been done before...would you prefer another WWII themed game?

Anyway, many things have been done, but few have been done well. This one is off to a promising start.

I'm not complaining.
It's just that the past year and half or so, Viking themed games (video games, board games, etc...) and become increasingly and tremendously common.
It's like a new fad has replaced the Zombie-theme of yesteryear.

I'll take vikings over zombies any day of the week. lol.
Title: Re: Expeditions: Vikings?
Post by: Gusington on April 28, 2017, 09:23:35 AM
A game of exploration/conquest playing as a Martian civ would be awesome!
Title: Re: Expeditions: Vikings?
Post by: Ubercat on April 28, 2017, 09:27:23 AM
I skipped the first game based solely on the screenshots. Female Conquistadors? Talk about artificial inclusiveness. Spain at that time had pretty medieval views on gender roles unless my history is drastically off. Will the new game have black vikings? Transgendered?

They may be great games. (and maybe I should check them out on YouTube) I'm just sick of all the rewriting and expunging of history in the name of social justice.
Title: Re: Expeditions: Vikings?
Post by: Gusington on April 28, 2017, 12:24:56 PM
Black Viking is my favorite DC superhero.
Title: Re: Expeditions: Vikings?
Post by: -budd- on April 28, 2017, 05:47:05 PM
JH can post your thoughts when you get more play time. Hoping for a more fleshed version concept wise than the first.
Title: Re: Expeditions: Vikings?
Post by: Sir Slash on April 28, 2017, 09:57:58 PM
I thought this was a football sim when I first saw the title of the thread.  :idiot2:
Title: Re: Expeditions: Vikings?
Post by: Philippe on April 29, 2017, 12:26:11 AM
I was very fond of Expeditions: Conquistador, but there were several things about it that I found infuriating.  A portrayal of a society from a different time and place should not be modeled after what you wish your own modern-day society actually was. There were something like two women in all of sixteenth and seventeenth century Latin American history who took up arms, and it was considered extraordinary at the time. These exercises were very rare and of short duration, and for good reason: the Inquisition frowned on that kind of behavior, and probably considered cross-dressing to be proof of heresy. One of the damning charges against Joan of Arc had been that she dressed like a man: different culture and different century, but the same religious rule book.

Unfortunately the shield-maiden has entered popular culture courtesy of the History Channel's Vikings, so Expeditions: Viking's game designers can be forgiven for including them.  How common were they in actual reality? Not very, but they did show up in the mythological and semi-mythological folklore, though not so much in the history.  I could turn a blind eye to a few of them, but it's a bit much when a village gets attacked by a Norwegian raiding party where about a third if not more of the attackers were women.  I wouldn't be that surprised if a third of the defenders turned out to be women defending their homes, but the few incidents I can recall from the Icelandic sagas where women actually grabbed weapons were written to emphasize that the men weren't doing what the women perceived as their job, and the narrator clearly thinks that these incidents were so unusual they were worthy of note (and sometimes a little shocking). The famous incident in Vinland where a woman opened her shirt and started slapping her bare breasts with the flat of a sword was considered extreme and kind of scary (it apparently put the enemy to flight), and then there is the woman who took an axe to all of the female prisoners when the men were too squeamish to kill all of the witnesses.  Extreme and unusual behavior is a feature of primitive spell-casting, and medieval Scandinavians were surprisingly close to their shamanistic roots.
Title: Re: Expeditions: Vikings?
Post by: Jarhead0331 on April 29, 2017, 05:03:09 AM
I did not go into this game expecting hyper-historical reality and authenticity. Having the story and background based loosely on actual history is enough for me. So far, for me, the vibe feels authentically Viking...the importance of family, the bond between clansmen, the importance of an oath, respect, bravery, etc. it's all here. The setting feels appropriately Norse, as well. Feast halls, mead, long boats, etc.

So far, there are several key women in the story arc...your mother, a friend, a witch and her apprentice (not a magic witch, think medicine and poison) and I've seen a huntress. There is also a female thegn that is situated close to the king. For some reason though, the notion of strong, independent women flows with Norse mythology and history in my mind, so it's working so far and it is not so off-putting or in your face. Trust me...if it was, it would bother me.
Title: Re: Expeditions: Vikings?
Post by: Toonces on April 29, 2017, 06:40:20 AM
Let me know when they add in zombies.


Mmmmmmm.....zombie Viking game.....aaggggggghhhhhh....   :smitten:
Title: Re: Expeditions: Vikings?
Post by: Ubercat on April 29, 2017, 07:31:06 AM
I watched episodes 1 and 3 of an E:C let's play on YouTube yesterday and it looked mostly pretty good. Episode 2 had been deleted by YT. Someone panicked because apparently the word "savage" had been uttered.  ::) I hope they're OK. It's probably safe to come out from under the desk now.
Title: Re: Expeditions: Vikings?
Post by: Nefaro on April 29, 2017, 01:43:46 PM
Quote from: Toonces on April 29, 2017, 06:40:20 AM
Let me know when they add in zombies.


Mmmmmmm.....zombie Viking game.....aaggggggghhhhhh....   :smitten:

;D


Need a fad-tastic viking game?

Viking & Zombie Crafting/Survival.

Just plug them into another Minecraft derivative and it'll fit right in with all the rest.  :smiley6600:
Title: Re: Expeditions: Vikings?
Post by: Steelgrave on April 29, 2017, 01:51:46 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 29, 2017, 05:03:09 AM
I did not go into this game expecting hyper-historical reality and authenticity. Having the story and background based loosely on actual history is enough for me. So far, for me, the vibe feels authentically Viking...the importance of family, the bond between clansmen, the importance of an oath, respect, bravery, etc. it's all here. The setting feels appropriately Norse, as well. Feast halls, mead, long boats, etc.

So far, there are several key women in the story arc...your mother, a friend, a witch and her apprentice (not a magic witch, think medicine and poison) and I've seen a huntress. There is also a female thegn that is situated close to the king. For some reason though, the notion of strong, independent women flows with Norse mythology and history in my mind, so it's working so far and it is not so off-putting or in your face. Trust me...if it was, it would bother me.

JH,  your post is what tipped the scales, made me put it in my cart and pull the trigger. Thank you, sir!