This sounds different...I like how if your character dies, you start over, but the world is persistent.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/601540/Veil_of_Crows/ (http://store.steampowered.com/app/601540/Veil_of_Crows/)
Quote
Veil of crows is a sandbox style real-time strategy game set in a chaotic medieval world. From violent, and overtly bloody battles, to completely destructible castles, RPG style hero development, and meaningful interactions with other factions.
Trade, bribe, extort, and destroy your way to world domination! The world of Veil of Crows remains persistent after you die, so your impact will have a lasting effect on the world even after you fail, or start over. Can you conquer the world and take the throne?
Key features:
Epic battles:
* Command large armies in gratuitous bloody conflict.
* Besiege mighty castles with siege engines.
* Take advantage of destructible buildings and walls.
* Every type of unit has strengths and weaknesses.
* Take heed of the current weather, geography and battle conditions
Sandbox:
* A massive sandbox style campaign map that includes more than 75 towns and villages ready to be conquered.
* Complete quests for other lords and village leaders for bounty and improving relations.
* Take your time to explore the world, or take your chances with random encounters.
* Hunt down the bandits who raided your village for resources and prisoners, or destroy their camps to prevent further intrusion.
* Just because you might die, doesn't mean your world dies too. Start again and your former kingdom still remains, however you are just another peasant in a land of corpses.
Four game modes:
* Prologue: Tutorial game... you will have some help along the way.
* Veil of Crows: The main game. You start with a hero and a small group of units. Keep your hero alive and put them on the throne, or die trying. Game-over will result after your hero dies, however, the world will remain as you left it, but you must start as a new character with a new faction.
* Sandbox mode: A casual game mode where you can select your starting conditions.
* Custom Battle: You set the scene! Units, Battle type, Location, Time of day, Current weather, your choice! Battle away!
Manage your faction:
* Six different resource types can be acquired in your villages. You can trade these resources, or use them to upgrade your castles and train stronger units.
* Forge alliances, or threaten and backstab your way to power. Every action you take will change other factions opinions of you.
* Extort and bribe enemy armies in the hope they will leave you alone, desert, or join your forces.
Mighty Heroes:
* Train up mighty heroes and generals to lead your armies and grant bonuses to your towns when granting vassals.
* Visit the armoury and customise your heroes equipment, and watch them carve through your enemies.
* Put your leader on the throne and conquer the world! In the main game, you start by customising the main character. You must keep them alive, and put them on the throne to truly conquer the world. If they die, game over!
Looks good, for sure but I shy away from early access 99% of the time.
I am following it eagerly, I was always a big fan of stronghold games, which disappointed me with their latest releases, hope this one will take over of true medieval castle defense.
Interedting indeed! I will follow this. Thanks for sharing!
Is it even early access? It goes live for purchase tomorrow but seems to have been in EA already... ???
The more i look at this, the more it looks like a mod of Mount and Blade. There are features on the campaign map that make it look suspiciously like it is based on M&B code. I was going to hold off for a bit since it looks really rough around the edges and still in early alpha phase, but then I watched a Let's play and saw heads rolling down a hill after a small skirmish. I'm a sucker for rolling heads.
I am shocked by your last statement.
RPS unimpressed..."like Mount and Blade but not good" :2funny:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/05/02/premature-evaluation-veil-of-crows/#more-444171
Quote from: Gusington on May 02, 2017, 07:50:40 PM
RPS unimpressed..."like Mount and Blade but not good" :2funny:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/05/02/premature-evaluation-veil-of-crows/#more-444171
I haven't played, but I got the exact same impression conveyed by RPS just from looking at the screenshots in the Steam store (Jarhead's link in the OP). Every picture looked like a big undistinguished scrumble of
stuff.
I lend absolutely no credence in RPS reviews. Games that suck, they love. Games that are great, they hate. I guess there aren't enough androgynous women, transsexuals or pansexuals in this game to warrant higher marks.
^ :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:
You did agree with them on the M&B thing though JH.
Quote from: Gusington on May 02, 2017, 08:51:46 PM
You did agree with them on the M&B thing though JH.
It unquestionably has some sort of relationship to M&B and I have not played it enough to know whether the game is worth a purchase at this point. What I do know is that its very early access, so it shouldn't be judged as if it is a complete game. M&B has had what? 10 years to grow and develop. Not fair to compare an EA game to a very mature game like M&B. Also, look at the steam reviews...there are almost 100 of them and they are very positive on the average. For steam, that's saying something.
Very bad and poor review of RPS, I dont have the game yet, but I was following it since it was on greenlight, the ultimate goal of the game is obviously not to be a M&B copy, the elements that looks similar is the map only, the game is focused more about sieges and castle defense/ attack, all other things are additional to enrich the game, is more like a stronghold with proper sandbox campaign. RPS review seems like someone just knew about the game didnt read what is about played it for max 30 minutes. Plus as mentioned by JH it is a very early access game.
One of my guys alerted me to this as well. I remember reviewing the original M&B when it came out and I do love that game. Really wish Bannerlord would hurry the b**** up.
Got someone one this but hoping to get a cheeky extra code for myself so I can check it out.
Quote from: Raied on May 03, 2017, 02:45:28 AM
a very early access game.
No point reviewing anything at this stage.
Quote from: jomni on May 03, 2017, 04:31:57 AM
Quote from: Raied on May 03, 2017, 02:45:28 AM
a very early access game.
No point reviewing anything at this stage.
I don't think anyone has come up with a good solution to early access coverage yet, other than perhaps the video/streaming community... that medium is less about 'verdicts' than it is about commentary during play, and it allows people to see what it's like prior to any purchasing decision.
But text-based outlets? It's a difficult one - at the end of the day though, this is something that people can pay for, so as far as I'm concerned it's open to *careful* criticism and analysis. I would never go so far as to actually apply a score to an Early Access title, but I find review-language perfectly acceptable provided one tries to take into account the big picture.
People sometimes bring up Kickstarter as a counter or supporting point (depending on their argument), but Kickstarter is an entirely different context. It's less "Pay Money, Get a Thing", it's more "Here's my idea, here's how much I'd like." You invest in the future of the thing and sometimes that means you get early access, mostly it simply means you get a completed product when it's ready.
Early Access though? It carries the exact same context as buying any other game, except that the game you're buying isn't finished yet. You pay money and instantly get something, which in my mind leaves it open to criticism, but there are several angles to bear in mind:
* Does the future look promising (You can give your money now and just sit on it until it's done.)
* What's it like now? (Is it playable enough that you can still actually get your money's worth if you buy now.)
* What is the likely hood of this game ever being finished/made into a playable state? (Perhaps it's better to not give any money until further down the line.)
It's a difficult one, to be sure.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with publishing impressions of an early access game, but like you said, it needs to be done carefully. It needs to take into consideration, with every statement and every opinion, that the game is unfinished and most likely subject to change. If judgment is going to be rendered, it needs to strongly factor and consider the state of the game, and must only judge by this very different standard from that of a finished retail product.
What RPS has done with its "premature evaluation" is flagrantly in disregard of any journalistic rule or ethic in this regard. It's not enough to call it a "premature evaluation" noting in the first sentence that the game is under development, but then write the rest of the piece as if it's a standard review. The conclusion of the RPS "review" is that veil of crows is bad, and the player is better off waiting for M&B II. This is unprofessional in my opinion and borderline libelous. Its about as close to fake news as a game site can get. It unfairly causes irreparable damage to the game and the developer, especially a small indie one, the kind RPS is always claiming to support.
RPS have just been sold to 'the man' so hopefully the sjw may stop and the need to promote 8 bit shite will go along with accepting that people really do prefer AAA or at least decent publishers
Quote from: undercovergeek on May 03, 2017, 07:00:39 AM
RPS have just been sold to 'the man' so hopefully the sjw may stop and the need to promote 8 bit shite will go along with accepting that people really do prefer AAA or at least decent publishers
Really? Which man bought?
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/05/03/psa-rps-is-now-owned-by-gamer-network/
Gamer network I guess
Rock Paper Shotgun Bitchslapped ^-^
Yeah I get the impression everyone is putting on happy faces and getting quotes on ferraris but once the content hammer comes down I imagine there'll be grumpy faces all round
But that sound of screeching tyres you hear is JH burning to gamer network for a quote on grogheads
I think a grogheads sale should be able to allow JH to afford enough ammo for one of his guns (probably a small caliber)
Quote from: Con on May 03, 2017, 01:08:48 PM
I think a grogheads sale should be able to allow JH to afford enough ammo for one of his guns (probably a small caliber)
That's just rude.
One gun? Hmm...
Is JH our owner? I didn't know that.
All your JHs belong to us.
Quote from: Ubercat on May 03, 2017, 09:01:13 PM
Is JH our owner? I didn't know that.
I just supply the fluffers.