GrogHeads Forum

IRL (In Real Life) => Music, TV, Movies => Topic started by: MetalDog on May 09, 2017, 08:19:11 PM

Poll
Question: 1961 Final 8
Option 1: This is the 8/16 matchup.  Please pick one. votes: 0
Option 2: 8 Please Mr. Postman - The Marvelettes votes: 3
Option 3: 16 Take Five - the Dave Brubeck Quartet votes: 9
Option 4: This is the 4/12 matchup.  Please pick one. votes: 0
Option 5: 4 Hit the Road Jack - Ray Charles votes: 9
Option 6: 12 Will You Love Me Tomorrow - The Shirelles votes: 3
Option 7: This is the 3/6 matchup.  Please pick one. votes: 0
Option 8: 3 Runaround Sue - Dion votes: 4
Option 9: 6 Runaway - Del Shannon votes: 7
Option 10: This is the 2/10 matchup.  Please pick one. votes: 0
Option 11: 2 Crazy - Patsy Cline votes: 11
Option 12: 10 Tossin' and Turnin' - Bobby Lewis votes: 1
Title: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1961 Final 8
Post by: MetalDog on May 09, 2017, 08:19:11 PM
I never would have thought that 'Stand By Me,' was anything but a 1 seed.  I even put the movie clip/nostalgia video up so everyone could groove on it.  And lo and behold, Dave Brubeck and his three pals stole the show.  Shocking.  To me.  Not that 'Take Five,' isn't a worthy song.  If it's jazz and I know it, then it has to be popular.  But I never thought it would take out the 1.  Wow.

Ray Charles's big hits seem to be a favorite for folks around here.  He takes on The Shirelles in a matchup I expect to be as lopsided as the one Ray used to get to the Final 8.

In the bottom half of the bracket, things went more as I expected.  'Runaround Sue,' I believe to be a strong 3 and shouldn't have trouble with Del Shannon.  I think Bobby Lewis and 'Tossin' and Turnin',' are the next victim of the buzzsaw that is Patsy Cline and 'Crazy.'  So, vote'm up folks and thanks for playing along!


The 8/16





The 4/12





The 3/6





The 2/10



Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1961 Final 8
Post by: Steelgrave on May 10, 2017, 12:00:16 PM
"Runaway" has long been one of my favorite songs of that era. I've never liked Dion or "Runaround Sue", although it was the larger hit. Hoping for an upset here!
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1961 Final 8
Post by: MetalDog on May 10, 2017, 07:30:27 PM
And I am the total opposite.  Me and a couple of buddies you to sing 'Runaround Sue,' in the hallways between classes Freshman year of high school.  I included 'Runaway,' because it was a big song that year.  The piano or organ or what ever it is at the instrumental break grates my nerves.  But that's why I love music.  Because we all have different tastes and we all have reasons for our tastes.
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1961 Final 8
Post by: OJsDad on May 10, 2017, 08:34:45 PM
Wasn't Runaway the theme song for a 90's TV show. 
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1961 Final 8
Post by: mirth on May 10, 2017, 08:43:23 PM
Quote from: OJsDad on May 10, 2017, 08:34:45 PM
Wasn't Runaway the theme song for a 90's TV show. 

Crime Story with Dennis Farina (it aired mid/late 80s)

Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1961 Final 8
Post by: OJsDad on May 10, 2017, 09:07:59 PM
Thanks Mirth.