GrogHeads Forum

IRL (In Real Life) => General Discussion => Topic started by: acctingman on June 06, 2017, 05:53:49 PM

Title: To you, which offers a better gaming experience?
Post by: acctingman on June 06, 2017, 05:53:49 PM
This is just a random question that popped into my head (as I was trying to figure out my own gaming wants and needs)

To you, which arena of gaming offers you the more enjoyable gaming experience?....PC gaming, Miniature gaming or board gaming.

Gleefully waiting to read everyone's answers!  :dreamer:
Title: Re: To you, which offers a better gaming experience?
Post by: Barthheart on June 06, 2017, 05:55:36 PM

Different for the different types.

PC gaming solo.
Board gaming/miniature gaming with friends.


Title: Re: To you, which offers a better gaming experience?
Post by: besilarius on June 06, 2017, 06:03:00 PM
Much prefer miniature gaming with a bunch of friends.
Due to distance, it's usually computer gaming.
Title: Re: To you, which offers a better gaming experience?
Post by: trailrunner on June 06, 2017, 06:17:21 PM
Board gaming for me.

I've played a few computer games, but never really got in to them.  The only minis I've played was when I was kid playing with army men in my backyard.
Title: Re: To you, which offers a better gaming experience?
Post by: Bison on June 06, 2017, 06:30:52 PM
Board and RPGs offer the best for me.  My computer time is limited to watching Royals baseball, which has not been an overly enjoyable experience this season.  The notable exception is when Moustakas comes up to bat and the kids start chanting MOOSE!  MOOSE!
Title: Re: To you, which offers a better gaming experience?
Post by: Ubercat on June 06, 2017, 06:47:11 PM
Board games, absolutely. I've enjoyed plenty of PC games, and a few miniatures as well, but I can regale you with enthusiastic tales of board games played 6 years ago. I don't remember what PC games I was playing last year.
Title: Re: To you, which offers a better gaming experience?
Post by: Sir Slash on June 06, 2017, 09:43:40 PM
PC Gaming all the way. I got nobody to play anything else with. Except the cat and she cheats.
Title: Re: To you, which offers a better gaming experience?
Post by: Greybriar on June 07, 2017, 08:35:35 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on June 06, 2017, 09:43:40 PM
PC Gaming all the way. I got nobody to play anything else with. Except the cat and she cheats.

Same here except I don't have a cat.
Title: Re: To you, which offers a better gaming experience?
Post by: Sir Slash on June 07, 2017, 09:09:22 AM
And she's a VERY poor loser.
Title: Re: To you, which offers a better gaming experience?
Post by: bob48 on June 07, 2017, 09:21:10 AM
Definitely board games for me.
Title: Re: To you, which offers a better gaming experience?
Post by: bayonetbrant on June 07, 2017, 09:35:11 AM
Board games for everything except high-complexity 4X games.  I gotta have my Civ on a computer.  Otherwise, I get by w/ board games, or board games 'ported to digital (esp on my phone - Carcassonne, Dominion, Kingdom Builder, etc)
Title: Re: To you, which offers a better gaming experience?
Post by: mirth on June 07, 2017, 09:49:39 AM
Good minis game - big table, lots of players on each side. Hands down the best experience imo. I'm lucky enough to have a group that can do a game like that every few months and play smaller games in between.

I love playing a board games too, but there's a lot to be said for sitting done with a nice console shooter and just blowing the crap out of shit.

Time and a place for all of it.
Title: Re: To you, which offers a better gaming experience?
Post by: bayonetbrant on June 07, 2017, 10:07:00 AM
Oddly, the times I used to play FPS games were multi-player split-screen games at lunchtime at one of my own offices.  I'm not sure I've ever played an FPS game as a single player.
Title: Re: To you, which offers a better gaming experience?
Post by: airboy on June 07, 2017, 10:13:32 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on June 06, 2017, 05:55:36 PM

Different for the different types.

PC gaming solo.
Board gaming/miniature gaming with friends.

Agree.  RPGs with friends is amazing. 
Title: Re: To you, which offers a better gaming experience?
Post by: airboy on June 07, 2017, 10:14:11 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on June 06, 2017, 09:43:40 PM
PC Gaming all the way. I got nobody to play anything else with. Except the cat and she cheats.

When I retire in 5 years we can do old man PBemail on wargames! 
Title: Re: To you, which offers a better gaming experience?
Post by: mirth on June 07, 2017, 10:16:28 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 07, 2017, 10:07:00 AM
Oddly, the times I used to play FPS games were multi-player split-screen games at lunchtime at one of my own offices.  I'm not sure I've ever played an FPS game as a single player.

Split-screen co-op is the sweet spot for FPS. Man, Gears of War was a blast to play with a buddy.

I don't play much in the way of shooters these days. Mainly RPG stuff, but sometimes it's fun to spend a couple of hours just wailing on the bad guys and not worrying about story missions.
Title: Re: To you, which offers a better gaming experience?
Post by: Steelgrave on June 07, 2017, 10:17:17 AM
I've gone through gaming phases in my life. First it was Avalon Hill board wargames. I don't even know how many titles I had in my collection but it was a lot. Then a several year AD&D phase with some other RPG's thrown in. Then (and now) computer games. I've picked up a couple of old AH games since then, but mostly it's just nostalgia. My PC and I get along just fine when it's time for a game and afterwards there are no pieces to pick up, no cats or grandchildren to shoo away.
Title: Re: To you, which offers a better gaming experience?
Post by: bobarossa on June 07, 2017, 02:05:46 PM
I'm pretty much PC only.  I don't like being around people long enough to finish a game  :uglystupid2:
The few board games I've purchased in last 20 years were all for solitaire play. 
Title: Re: To you, which offers a better gaming experience?
Post by: W8taminute on June 07, 2017, 10:47:55 PM
When I was around 13 I started getting into board games of various types.  Before the age of the home pc.  Once I was old enough to afford my first computer I played nothing except pc and or console video games.  The past year or so has seen me revisit my past and I've started to get into board gaming again. 

None of my friends play board games and even if they did none of us would have the time anyway so my board gaming today is strictly solo.  That's fine by me because my taste in gaming does not align with anyone I know that might even be remotely interested in playing with me.  So solo it is.

For me there is no which offers the better gaming experience because I just love to play games be them pc, console, or board games.