GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Greybriar on June 10, 2017, 03:56:22 PM

Title: GOG Connect
Post by: Greybriar on June 10, 2017, 03:56:22 PM
I was considering using GOG Connect (https://www.gog.com/connect) but I am not familiar with it and since it is "permanent" I am reluctant to make the change without more information. I know that by linking my Steam account to GOG Connect I am supposed to have some of the games I own on Steam added to my GOG account. Are there any drawbacks to doing this? How do those on this forum who have used GOG Connect feel about it?

Other than the information from GOG I linked to above, about the only thing I know about GOG Connect is what I've read in this article (http://www.pcgamer.com/gog-connect-imports-steam-games-to-your-gog-library/) from PC Gamer.

What say ye, forum members? Yea or nay?
Title: Re: GOG Connect
Post by: jamus34 on June 10, 2017, 04:49:39 PM
I use it as I find any opportunity I can get a DRM free game I'm all for it. It only works for select games at select times. I look at it as backup if steam ever goes tits up
Title: Re: GOG Connect
Post by: -budd- on June 10, 2017, 05:19:58 PM
i have connect installed, its like steam basically with just about the same features. Friends list, access your library, shop, update your games, chat, screenshots, ect.ect. You don't need to install the client to port your steam games over, just link your steam account to GOG. I don't mind it but i don't use it much either. I do like that i have a DRM free version of the steam games ported over. You can installed the games through connect or download them and install from your web site library.
Title: Re: GOG Connect
Post by: jamus34 on June 10, 2017, 05:26:57 PM
Quote from: -budd- on June 10, 2017, 05:19:58 PM
i have connect installed, its like steam basically with just about the same features. Friends list, access your library, shop, update your games, chat, screenshots, ect.ect. You don't need to install the client to port your steam games over, just link your steam account to GOG. I don't mind it but i don't use it much either. I do like that i have a DRM free version of the steam games ported over. You can installed the games through connect or download them and install from your web site library.

Your thinking Galaxy. That is their steam like software. Connect is just that, a linking of your steam account to gog
Title: Re: GOG Connect
Post by: -budd- on June 10, 2017, 05:42:17 PM
Quote from: jamus34 on June 10, 2017, 05:26:57 PM
Quote from: -budd- on June 10, 2017, 05:19:58 PM
i have connect installed, its like steam basically with just about the same features. Friends list, access your library, shop, update your games, chat, screenshots, ect.ect. You don't need to install the client to port your steam games over, just link your steam account to GOG. I don't mind it but i don't use it much either. I do like that i have a DRM free version of the steam games ported over. You can installed the games through connect or download them and install from your web site library.

Your thinking Galaxy. That is their steam like software. Connect is just that, a linking of your steam account to gog

AAAA..yea...your right...ooooopppps. 
Title: Re: GOG Connect
Post by: jamus34 on June 10, 2017, 06:18:35 PM
Quote from: -budd- on June 10, 2017, 05:42:17 PM
Quote from: jamus34 on June 10, 2017, 05:26:57 PM
Quote from: -budd- on June 10, 2017, 05:19:58 PM
i have connect installed, its like steam basically with just about the same features. Friends list, access your library, shop, update your games, chat, screenshots, ect.ect. You don't need to install the client to port your steam games over, just link your steam account to GOG. I don't mind it but i don't use it much either. I do like that i have a DRM free version of the steam games ported over. You can installed the games through connect or download them and install from your web site library.

Your thinking Galaxy. That is their steam like software. Connect is just that, a linking of your steam account to gog

AAAA..yea...your right...ooooopppps.

All good man. Who knows maybe gog is trying to be the next Uber with nefarious plans
Title: Re: GOG Connect
Post by: Staggerwing on June 10, 2017, 06:48:56 PM
Or the next Nefarious with uber plans.
Title: Re: GOG Connect
Post by: BanzaiCat on June 10, 2017, 08:19:45 PM
(https://i.imgflip.com/1qohqh.jpg)

On topic (I know, ha!), what's the point of bringing Steam games over into GOG Galaxy? Or GOG, period? I don't get it.
Title: Re: GOG Connect
Post by: Destraex on June 10, 2017, 08:51:48 PM
I try to keep my number of clients to a minimum to keep my friends together. Same with voice coms.
Generally its just steam and discord. Done. I link non steam games to play through steam just so friends can come join when they see me load up through steam.
Title: Re: GOG Connect
Post by: Staggerwing on June 10, 2017, 08:57:54 PM
Quote from: BC on June 10, 2017, 08:19:45 PM
On topic (I know, ha!), what's the point of bringing Steam games over into GOG Galaxy? Or GOG, period? I don't get it.

Because, come TEOTWAWKI, we can still play those STEAM games offline that we also bought on GOG.

You know, during the down time between battling Giant Mutant Rats and defending our Road Warrior convoy from the Toecutter and his minions.
Title: Re: GOG Connect
Post by: -budd- on June 10, 2017, 09:17:03 PM
Quote from: BC on June 10, 2017, 08:19:45 PM

On topic (I know, ha!), what's the point of bringing Steam games over into GOG Galaxy? Or GOG, period? I don't get it.

Basically just to have a DRM free version.
Title: Re: GOG Connect
Post by: jamus34 on June 10, 2017, 09:34:56 PM
Quote from: BC on June 10, 2017, 08:19:45 PM
(https://i.imgflip.com/1qohqh.jpg)

On topic (I know, ha!), what's the point of bringing Steam games over into GOG Galaxy? Or GOG, period? I don't get it.

When posting from a cell phone proper English can kiss the fattest part of my arse
Title: Re: GOG Connect
Post by: BanzaiCat on June 11, 2017, 07:35:25 AM
^  :2funny:
Title: Re: GOG Connect
Post by: Greybriar on June 18, 2017, 11:17:29 AM
Quote from: -budd- on June 10, 2017, 09:17:03 PM
Quote from: BC on June 10, 2017, 08:19:45 PM
On topic (I know, ha!), what's the point of bringing Steam games over into GOG Galaxy? Or GOG, period? I don't get it.

Basically just to have a DRM free version.

Yes, that's why I am considering taking the plunge with GOG Connect. But what I want to know is this: Are there are any hazards in linking my GOG account to my Steam account? I have Googled for an answer and haven't found anything yet. But since the change will be a permanent one, I don't wish to do something I will regret later.
Title: Re: GOG Connect
Post by: Millipede on June 18, 2017, 11:22:47 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on June 10, 2017, 08:57:54 PM
Quote from: BC on June 10, 2017, 08:19:45 PM
On topic (I know, ha!), what's the point of bringing Steam games over into GOG Galaxy? Or GOG, period? I don't get it.

Because, come TEOTWAWKI, we can still play those STEAM games offline that we also bought on GOG.

You know, during the down time between battling Giant Mutant Rats and defending our Road Warrior convoy from the Toecutter and his minions.

Exactly!
Title: Re: GOG Connect
Post by: -budd- on June 18, 2017, 11:39:53 AM
Quote from: Greybriar on June 18, 2017, 11:17:29 AM
Quote from: -budd- on June 10, 2017, 09:17:03 PM
Quote from: BC on June 10, 2017, 08:19:45 PM
On topic (I know, ha!), what's the point of bringing Steam games over into GOG Galaxy? Or GOG, period? I don't get it.

Basically just to have a DRM free version.

Yes, that's why I am considering taking the plunge with GOG Connect. But what I want to know is this: Are there are any hazards in linking my GOG account to my Steam account? I have Googled for an answer and haven't found anything yet. But since the change will be a permanent one, I don't wish to do something I will regret later.
All I can say is I've been linked up since the program started without issue. GOG  will have access to your library and let's just assume your profile also, I believe it's spelled out what they have access too if you connect.
Title: Re: GOG Connect
Post by: Philippe on June 18, 2017, 03:11:25 PM
I would think that the fewer the people who have access to your Steam account, the more secure it will be.  And this would probably even be true even if GOG were more secure than Steam to begin with.

I always try to own and register Matrix/Slitherine games before I get the Steam version, just in case a catastrophe happens and I have to reconstruct my Steam library.

We're talking remote possibilities, but everything can get hacked these days.

I'd rather err on the side of caution, and that's why I don't (and probably won't) use GOG Connect.
Title: Re: GOG Connect
Post by: Surtur on June 19, 2017, 10:28:30 AM
I used it, a nice little extra. No issues found so far. Also bought plenty of games from them directly :)
Title: Re: GOG Connect
Post by: Greybriar on June 19, 2017, 08:29:48 PM
Quote from: Philippe on June 18, 2017, 03:11:25 PM
I would think that the fewer the people who have access to your Steam account, the more secure it will be.  And this would probably even be true even if GOG were more secure than Steam to begin with.

I always try to own and register Matrix/Slitherine games before I get the Steam version, just in case a catastrophe happens and I have to reconstruct my Steam library.

We're talking remote possibilities, but everything can get hacked these days.

I'd rather err on the side of caution, and that's why I don't (and probably won't) use GOG Connect.

Thanks for the explanation. O0 I knew there was a risk involved but I didn't know it was hacking.

At this time, there is only one game on Steam (and I don't even play it!) that I could get on my GOG account by using GOG Connect. Since I have 200+ games on Steam and 500+ on GOG, I don't believe it would be worth the risk for me to link the two accounts.

Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences with GOG Connect. :clap:
Title: Re: GOG Connect
Post by: BanzaiCat on June 20, 2017, 09:15:00 AM
Isn't the only real threat in this regard, if you have payment information stored in either Steam or GOG?

Steam has some rather deep security you can partake of, but GOG not so much.

In either's case, I do not store payment information, just in case.