Gird your loins Legionary.....
https://www.ageofempires.com/
https://www.gamewatcher.com/news/2017-12-06-microsoft-studios-announce-age-of-empires-definitive-edition-coming-later-this-year
20 years after its launch, Microsoft is proud to announce the Definitive Edition of the original Age of Empires. Fully remastered with 4k graphics, re-orchestrated soundtrack, major gameplay improvements, new narrative, Xbox Live multiplayer and achievements, the Definitive Edition brings back the classic game and its Rise of Rome expansion.
This will be a Pc and Xbox1 title, and have heard conflicting reports on whether it will be Windows 10 only or not :'(
MY ERECTION IS SO STRONK FOR THIS
Whoa.
I'll be curious to get more information on the "major game play improvements" before I break out cigars and start celebrating. Besides, the series was good, twenty years ago...Hasn't the genre moved on in many ways? I suppose some could also argue that its actually devolved, but I think there have also been many advancements too.
I think the rationale here is, "LOOK AT THE MONEY BEING MADE BY COSSACKS 3 FOR DOING ALMOST NOTHING!" ::)
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 13, 2017, 08:42:06 AM
I'll be curious to get more information on the "major game play improvements" before I break out cigars and start celebrating. Besides, the series was good, twenty years ago...Hasn't the genre moved on in many ways? I suppose some could also argue that its actually devolved, but I think there have also been many advancements too.
buzzkill
Quote from: mirth on June 13, 2017, 08:48:20 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 13, 2017, 08:42:06 AM
I'll be curious to get more information on the "major game play improvements" before I break out cigars and start celebrating. Besides, the series was good, twenty years ago...Hasn't the genre moved on in many ways? I suppose some could also argue that its actually devolved, but I think there have also been many advancements too.
buzzkill
That's why they pay me the big bucks.
Is Cossacks 3 really making that much money? I haven't bought it - but I think JH did. So who does that leave?
Put me in the somewhat skeptical camp as well. Looking at the promo video -- yeah, they've prettified the graphics a good deal, but the combat in particular still looks primitive and cartoonish. Not sure how you can go back to that after expectations conditioned by years of Total War and the like.
Age of Empires and Rise of Nations are easily among my favorite all-time PC games. But I never bought the enhanced edition of RoN, and suspect I'll pass on this too. Nostalgia's a powerful force, but I don't think you can ever really go home again.
Quote from: JasonPratt on June 13, 2017, 08:46:03 AM
I think the rationale here is, "LOOK AT THE MONEY BEING MADE BY COSSACKS 3 FOR DOING ALMOST NOTHING!" ::)
I dont even know why it made any money at all. Its soulless unit spam
Didn't they already do an Age of Empire 2 remake?
Quote from: Hofstadter on June 13, 2017, 09:48:56 AM
Quote from: JasonPratt on June 13, 2017, 08:46:03 AM
I think the rationale here is, "LOOK AT THE MONEY BEING MADE BY COSSACKS 3 FOR DOING ALMOST NOTHING!" ::)
I dont even know why it made any money at all. Its soulless unit spam
Because of yours truly... :'(
Quote from: Gusington on June 13, 2017, 08:58:56 AM
Is Cossacks 3 really making that much money? I haven't bought it - but I think JH did. So who does that leave?
Think?
Heh heh
I bought the Age of Empires 2 HD remake and got very depressed in a 'can't go home again' sort of way. I felt I had been duped and the publishers knew they were using my emotions to get me to buy. Maybe I am taking it too much to heart.
Have read conflicting reports that this is going to be a windows store and xbox1 exclusive. Cant imagine this not going on Steam at some point, that is if they want to sell more copies.
Quote from: Gusington on June 13, 2017, 08:58:56 AM
Is Cossacks 3 really making that much money?
Compared to almost-no-work, any profit is worth it.
When I realized Cos3 wasn't going to update the original engine in any substantial way, I went back to play Cos1 for a couple of afternoons to remind myself why I never bothered with the series.
Just for comparison 30-day averages from Steamcharts:
| Ashes of Singularity | 121.8 |
| Grey Goo | 24.4 |
| Dawn of War III | 1,521.2 |
| Dawn of War II - Retribution | 344.0 |
| Company of Heroes 2 | 4,137.2 |
| Company of Heroes | 1,915.4 |
| Age of Empires 2: HD | 6,318.7 |
| Age of Empires 3 | 1,269.0 |
| Age of Mythology: EE | 793.0 |
| Rise of Nations: EE | 451.9 |
| Halo War - DE | 184.1 |
| Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance | 414.2 |
| Supreme Commander 2 | 293.0 |
| Planetary Annihilation: Titans | 226.4 |
| Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak | 36.4 |
| Homeworld: Remastered | 167.1 |
| Offworld Trading Company | 129 |
| Star Wars: Empire at War | 691.9 |
Plus there are folks who play the original Age games on Voobly. Don't know if there are folks playing the original RoN somewhere else. I think the popularity of
AoE:DE will depend on what exactly the improvements are because it is a step back from AoE2 which seems to have the best legs of the older games outside of the original
Starcraft. When Starcraft: Remastered gets released this summer it will swamp the numbers of any other rts possibly including Starcraft 2. I wish MS had put the money
into remastering AoE2 that Blizzard is putting into Starcraft, or that they would have had the same work done for it that is being done to AoE. It is okay to play, but a fresh
coat of paint would have been nice.
Edit: Added some more games that I remembered to the table. I don't know what the answer is for rts makers, but people seem to play the older games more than the more recent releases.
I think a lot of the players have moved on to the moba games. Supposedly there will be an announcement about a new Age game at gamescon, so we'll see. There are some other games,
like the Eugen stuff that could possibly go on the list, but they don't have base building. Red Dragon averages just under 700 a day, and Steel Division is just under 1400.
Quote from: vyshka on June 14, 2017, 10:25:42 PM
Just for comparison 30-day averages from Steamcharts:
| Ashes of Singularity | 121.8 |
| Grey Goo | 24.4 |
| Dawn of War III | 1,521.2 |
| Dawn of War II - Retribution | 344.0 |
| Company of Heroes 2 | 4,137.2 |
| Company of Heroes | 1,915.4 |
| Age of Empires 2: HD | 6,318.7 |
| Age of Empires 3 | 1,269.0 |
| Age of Mythology: EE | 793.0 |
| Rise of Nations: EE | 451.9 |
| Halo War - DE | 184.1 |
| Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance | 414.2 |
| Supreme Commander 2 | 293.0 |
| Planetary Annihilation: Titans | 226.4 |
| Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak | 36.4 |
| Homeworld: Remastered | 167.1 |
| Offworld Trading Company | 129 |
| Star Wars: Empire at War | 691.9 |
Plus there are folks who play the original Age games on Voobly. Don't know if there are folks playing the original RoN somewhere else. I think the popularity of
AoE:DE will depend on what exactly the improvements are because it is a step back from AoE2 which seems to have the best legs of the older games outside of the original
Starcraft. When Starcraft: Remastered gets released this summer it will swamp the numbers of any other rts possibly including Starcraft 2. I wish MS had put the money
into remastering AoE2 that Blizzard is putting into Starcraft, or that they would have had the same work done for it that is being done to AoE. It is okay to play, but a fresh
coat of paint would have been nice.
Edit: Added some more games that I remembered to the table. I don't know what the answer is for rts makers, but people seem to play the older games more than the more recent releases.
I think a lot of the players have moved on to the moba games. Supposedly there will be an announcement about a new Age game at gamescon, so we'll see. There are some other games,
like the Eugen stuff that could possibly go on the list, but they don't have base building. Red Dragon averages just under 700 a day, and Steel Division is just under 1400.
What are these numbers measuring?
It is the daily average number of players for the game over 30 days on Steam. It just gives an idea of the popularity of the games. As a comparison in the
top 10 games on Steam you have Football Manager 2017 with about 38k players a day, and the top is Dota 2 with 500k+ a day.
Quote from: vyshka on June 15, 2017, 11:59:21 AM
It is the daily average number of players for the game over 30 days on Steam. It just gives an idea of the popularity of the games. As a comparison in the
top 10 games on Steam you have Football Manager 2017 with about 38k players a day, and the top is Dota 2 with 500k+ a day.
Thanks. At first I thought it had to do with number of hours played but couldn't make sense of it.
Releases on 20 Feb. They're taking preorders now.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/age-of-empires-definitive-edition/9n2kmdvlk85d?WT.mc_id=PromoEmail_14745_en_US_Age_of_Empires_Purchasers_2-13-18_Hero_TheLegacyLivesOn&SilentAuth=1&wa=wsignin1.0
Will this only be released and available through Microsoft store app? Not a big fan of that if that is the case.
Quote from: JasonPratt on June 14, 2017, 10:26:47 AM
Quote from: Gusington on June 13, 2017, 08:58:56 AM
Is Cossacks 3 really making that much money?
Compared to almost-no-work, any profit is worth it.
When I realized Cos3 wasn't going to update the original engine in any substantial way, I went back to play Cos1 for a couple of afternoons to remind myself why I never bothered with the series.
Used to love Cossacks. Cossacks2 especially was an entirely different and very interesting game, albeit a bit buggy.
I enjoy a spot of cossacks 3 from time to time. I mainly just like watch the men walk around and relaxing while they do the work. To watch the grand formations of my armies drill. I love that officers and musicians are needed to use formations and that it makes "age of empires" combat gameplay seem simplistic by comparison.
I think if you call cossacks3 soul less spam then age of empires will be instead be a lonely 12 man army. It always felt like I was playing with a small scale hollywood movie town where I could only afford 10 figures to go in my toy town.
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 16, 2018, 04:55:13 PM
Will this only be released and available through Microsoft store app? Not a big fan of that if that is the case.
Last time I tried to get a free game through the store for my PC it linked all of my hotmail calendar and everything else to win10. beware as it is a pain in the ass to undo.
This is the same microsoft store that on win10 (or was it 8) release tried to deny steam and promote the MS store with that tile denial BS before the start menu went back in.