GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Pete Dero on June 14, 2017, 03:56:13 AM

Title: CCleaner alert
Post by: Pete Dero on June 14, 2017, 03:56:13 AM
If you use CCleaner be careful with the last update.

CCleaner 5.31.6104 erases Mozilla Thunderbird & Firefox profiles.  (found out the hard way  :tickedoff:)

https://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=48428

Patch to fix Mozilla/Thunderbird issue released through a new build v5.31.6105 (13 Jun 2017). http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds
but : this patch can't repair the damage done, only prevent it from happening.

Had to use system restore to return to normal ...

Title: Re: CCleaner alert
Post by: GJK on June 18, 2017, 06:57:43 AM
People still use CCleaner?


Wait, people still use Firefox & Thunderbird???



Title: Re: CCleaner alert
Post by: Yskonyn on June 18, 2017, 08:56:28 AM
Lol! Well I, for one, still use both software mentioned.
Title: Re: CCleaner alert
Post by: bobarossa on June 18, 2017, 09:08:50 AM
Used CCleaner once.  Started using Firefox when my Opera desktop browser quit rendering too many web pages for my taste.
Title: Re: CCleaner alert
Post by: Pete Dero on June 18, 2017, 09:18:52 AM
Quote from: GJK on June 18, 2017, 06:57:43 AM
People still use CCleaner?

I do !   Works great with windows 95.
Title: Re: CCleaner alert
Post by: Staggerwing on June 18, 2017, 09:40:02 AM
Quote from: Pete Dero on June 18, 2017, 09:18:52 AM
Quote from: GJK on June 18, 2017, 06:57:43 AM
People still use CCleaner?

I do !   Works great with windows 95.

When did you finally upgrade?
Title: Re: CCleaner alert
Post by: Pete Dero on June 18, 2017, 10:01:13 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on June 18, 2017, 09:40:02 AM
Quote from: Pete Dero on June 18, 2017, 09:18:52 AM
Quote from: GJK on June 18, 2017, 06:57:43 AM
People still use CCleaner?

I do !   Works great with windows 95.

When did you finally upgrade?

When my 500 MB HD with Windows 3.1 crashed.
Title: Re: CCleaner alert
Post by: RyanE on June 18, 2017, 10:06:02 AM
500Mb or 50Mb?  When I was using 3.1, I dreamed of a 500Mb drive.
Title: Re: CCleaner alert
Post by: Geezer on June 18, 2017, 03:05:45 PM
Thanks for the heads up.  I'm back on 5.13.6450 and that works fine so I'm not going to fix it if it isn't broken.
Title: Re: CCleaner alert
Post by: GJK on June 19, 2017, 05:58:40 AM
Quote from: bobarossa on June 18, 2017, 09:08:50 AM
Used CCleaner once.  Started using Firefox when my Opera desktop browser quit rendering too many web pages for my taste.


I started to get the rendering issue with my old (v12.17!) install of Opera but I cleared all the cache and cookies and it now renders them ok again.  I also did an install of the latest (v45) in a separate directory and now use it primarily though I liked the toolbar layout better in the old version of Opera.
Title: Re: CCleaner alert
Post by: bobarossa on June 19, 2017, 08:39:31 AM
Quote from: GJK on June 19, 2017, 05:58:40 AM

I started to get the rendering issue with my old (v12.17!) install of Opera but I cleared all the cache and cookies and it now renders them ok again.  I also did an install of the latest (v45) in a separate directory and now use it primarily though I liked the toolbar layout better in the old version of Opera.
I was using 12.18 (has an encryption fix from 12.17) and didn't like look of new version so I switched to Firefox. I'll have to try clearing cache and cookies and see what happens.
Used CCleaner to try to cleanup registry but accidentally deleted a bunch of browser stuff I wanted to keep.  Haven't used it again.