GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: solops on June 14, 2017, 02:17:51 PM

Title: Paradox's Tyranny
Post by: solops on June 14, 2017, 02:17:51 PM
Does anyone play this? It just got an update and new DLC was announced. Having watched it for a while I just picked it up on a 60% off Steam sale and I'd like to know what I am really in for.
Title: Re: Paradox's Tyranny
Post by: Jarhead0331 on June 14, 2017, 02:37:07 PM
I splurged myself with the sale. The reviews seem universally very positive. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try it out soon.
Title: Re: Paradox's Tyranny
Post by: Sir Slash on June 14, 2017, 06:35:27 PM
The general rap was it's too short pretty much. Thus the DLC adding more maybe what it needs. I eagerly await the opinion-ating.
Title: Re: Paradox's Tyranny
Post by: Jarhead0331 on June 14, 2017, 06:41:47 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on June 14, 2017, 06:35:27 PM
The general rap was it's too short pretty much. Thus the DLC adding more maybe what it needs. I eagerly await the opinion-ating.

Ive heard quite the opposite. Word on the street is it's filled with content. RPS guy is even questioning why the DLC is even necessary!?!
Title: Re: Paradox's Tyranny
Post by: bbmike on June 14, 2017, 06:52:30 PM
I was going to buy it but the Steam Summer Sale is just days away.
Title: Re: Paradox's Tyranny
Post by: Gusington on June 14, 2017, 08:26:49 PM
^Good thinking...
Title: Re: Paradox's Tyranny
Post by: Sir Slash on June 14, 2017, 10:20:58 PM
A lot of the personal reviews at Steam have it as being very short, even the positive ones. As well as the role-playing choices not really making much of a difference in the game. But overall they are very positive. I think it will be awhile before we see a deal better than 60% off at GOG. But I'll be looking anyway.
Title: Re: Paradox's Tyranny
Post by: Pete Dero on June 15, 2017, 02:33:35 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on June 14, 2017, 10:20:58 PM
A lot of the personal reviews at Steam have it as being very short, even the positive ones.

PlayStyle               Polled Average Median Rushed  Leisure

Main Story            10       23h        26h       19h         26h
Main + Extras       52       31h        29h       22h         50h
Completionists     12       37h        34h       29h         58h

https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=36184
Title: Re: Paradox's Tyranny
Post by: Gusington on June 15, 2017, 09:03:22 AM
Sometimes 'shorter' is better 😎
Title: Re: Paradox's Tyranny
Post by: Jarhead0331 on June 15, 2017, 09:06:12 AM
Is 30 to 50 hours on the average considered "Short"?
Title: Re: Paradox's Tyranny
Post by: jamus34 on June 15, 2017, 09:07:49 AM
Quote from: Gusington on June 15, 2017, 09:03:22 AM
Sometimes 'shorter' is better 😎

Agreed, I don't necessarily want every game to be 100+ hour grindfests. I like them sometimes however sometimes I want to play and finish a game in the same month.
Title: Re: Paradox's Tyranny
Post by: Gusington on June 15, 2017, 09:09:29 AM
There's something to be said for the open world games like The Witcher or Skyrim but 100s of hours to complete really wreaks havoc with my OCD.
Title: Re: Paradox's Tyranny
Post by: jamus34 on June 15, 2017, 09:33:55 AM
Hell I love the binding of issac as even if you beat the game in the current run you can usually do it with 30 min or so
Title: Re: Paradox's Tyranny
Post by: Sir Slash on June 15, 2017, 10:02:52 AM
Another DLC coming, the "Bastard's Wound" DLC later this year listed at Steam. I agree shorter can be better, at least that's what my wife tells me. ::)  Almost any game would play shorter than the way I play them-- 276 hours on Pillars of Eternity for me. Neverwinter Nights have shorter modules that are only about 30 hours and are great, such as the 'Mysteries of Westgate' which I'm still trying to finish. Many of the complaints regarding the game being too short revolve around the thinking the game is designed to be re-played multiple times. I don't know about that so much but it wouldn't kill the idea of me buying the game if it's true.

Having played Pillars of Eternity for so long, the biggest turn-off was having to learn a whole new world full of stuff about countries, religions, heroes, and history. If I got to do it again in Tyranny, I might pass on it for awhile.
Title: Re: Paradox's Tyranny
Post by: ghostryder on June 15, 2017, 10:07:27 AM
I played it. It's a little short if you compare it to games like Pillars but I think it's long enough. It does come up short if you take the game's hype to heart--"Your the bad guy working for the bad guy". In reality the things you can do to be 'bad' is more restricted than games like Pillars or any other RPG for that matter. You cannot randomly attack someone who just mouthed off to you---although being the bad guy Darth Vader you should be allowed to do just that.

Tyranny, as a concept, was great. The place it went wrong was the execution of gameplay systems and the way that the game was put together. It feels rushed and compact. It ends suddenly and worse it ends on a cliffhanger. And The player's agency in the ending was kinda...boring (press button, incite consequences, get ending)-

Also the conquest--agency thing fails.  The big, fundamental issue with Tyranny is that you, the player, have no significant agency to change the world. It's not your story. Where is the drama? Where are the huge setpiece moments where you need to make decisions? Where is the world-changing conflict?
In short, where is the player agency?

You spend the whole game building up-you can even recruit rebel forces--but in all you can't do anything with any of it.


Title: Re: Paradox's Tyranny
Post by: Sir Slash on June 15, 2017, 01:20:48 PM
Closer to what I was thinking. Thanks Ghosty.  O0