GrogHeads Forum

Tabletop Gaming, Models, and Minis => Role-Playing & Adventure Gaming => Topic started by: bbmike on June 20, 2017, 11:51:38 AM

Title: Mutant Crawl Classics
Post by: bbmike on June 20, 2017, 11:51:38 AM
Just received my links to the PDFs for Mutant Crawl Classics. Lots of good reading ahead.  O0
Title: Re: Mutant Crawl Classics
Post by: mirth on June 20, 2017, 12:01:13 PM
Shouldn't you be playing Munchkin?
Title: Re: Mutant Crawl Classics
Post by: Barthheart on June 20, 2017, 12:12:54 PM
Or learning what a REAL Intel officer does?
Title: Re: Mutant Crawl Classics
Post by: bayonetbrant on June 20, 2017, 12:15:01 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on June 20, 2017, 12:12:54 PM
Or learning what a REAL Intel officer does?

Real Intel officers don't know what they do, why would a fake one? :)
Title: Re: Mutant Crawl Classics
Post by: Barthheart on June 20, 2017, 12:16:03 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 20, 2017, 12:15:01 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on June 20, 2017, 12:12:54 PM
Or learning what a REAL Intel officer does?

Real Intel officers don't know what they do, why would a fake one? :)

True....  :P
Title: Re: Mutant Crawl Classics
Post by: bbmike on June 20, 2017, 12:23:51 PM
Quote from: mirth on June 20, 2017, 12:01:13 PM
Shouldn't you be playing Munchkin?

Somehow I avoided buying it at Origins. In fact, based on what I saw people carrying out of the convention hall, I failed miserably at buying stuff at Origins.  :))
Title: Re: Mutant Crawl Classics
Post by: bbmike on June 20, 2017, 12:24:39 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on June 20, 2017, 12:12:54 PM
Or learning what a REAL Intel officer does?

I JUST installed Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm.  :P
Title: Re: Mutant Crawl Classics
Post by: Barthheart on June 20, 2017, 01:07:19 PM
Quote from: bbmike on June 20, 2017, 12:24:39 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on June 20, 2017, 12:12:54 PM
Or learning what a REAL Intel officer does?

I JUST installed Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm.  :P

Great! OJsDad and I need more practice before Southern Storm comes out.  >:D
Title: Re: Mutant Crawl Classics
Post by: mirth on June 20, 2017, 01:08:18 PM
Translation: We need a new victim to pummel.
Title: Re: Mutant Crawl Classics
Post by: bbmike on June 20, 2017, 01:57:08 PM
Quote from: mirth on June 20, 2017, 01:08:18 PM
Translation: We need a new victim to pummel.

But with you running air support we can't lose!
Title: Re: Mutant Crawl Classics
Post by: Barthheart on June 20, 2017, 01:58:04 PM
Quote from: bbmike on June 20, 2017, 01:57:08 PM
Quote from: mirth on June 20, 2017, 01:08:18 PM
Translation: We need a new victim to pummel.

But with you running air support we can't lose!

:2funny:  :DD
Title: Re: Mutant Crawl Classics
Post by: bayonetbrant on June 20, 2017, 02:13:49 PM
Quote from: bbmike on June 20, 2017, 11:51:38 AM
Just received my links to the PDFs for Mutant Crawl Classics. Lots of good reading ahead.  O0
Quote from: mirth on June 20, 2017, 12:01:13 PM
Shouldn't you be playing Munchkin?

Munchkin + Mutants (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/213670/munchkin-x-men)
Title: Re: Mutant Crawl Classics
Post by: Bison on June 24, 2017, 10:39:41 PM
Did you have a chance to peruse the rules yet?  I'm thinking about picking up the core rule book at some point in the future.  Its all part of diversifying my RPG collection...or something...:D
Title: Re: Mutant Crawl Classics
Post by: bbmike on June 25, 2017, 07:47:25 AM
A bit. It is very old school and just like DCC (you can even move characters from one to the other!). One thing I didn't like is that it uses 'odd dice'- like D14, D16, D24, D30, but that's not a big deal. I wish I had know that before Origins, though.  ::)
Another thing is wetware and shamans. They are nothing more than spells and wizards. Some people will like it but I never had any of that in Gamma World. I will 'house rule' stuff like this as I usually do.
So basically, if you are familiar with the first three editions of Gamma World you'll feel right at home.
Title: Re: Mutant Crawl Classics
Post by: Dammit Carl! on June 25, 2017, 08:04:39 AM
Been wwwaayyy out any sort of gaming loop since early this year, so imagine my rustled jimmies when I saw this game...wowza.

Love how Goodman has modules and so on ready to go already - the radiation-green skull and blaster logo is tre sexy and I could easily see me wearing a shirt with that on it (to the chagrin of the kiddies, but thats what their old man is there for).
Title: Re: Mutant Crawl Classics
Post by: Bison on June 25, 2017, 08:09:05 AM
I picked up a set of these to use with DCC.  Overall the dice are nice.  I think I like the Game Science a little better, but they also do not make a D30.  So if you want a set has matching dice, I'm afraid you cannot have a matching Game Science set.  The only issue I have with this set is that the D24 for example has very rounded sides so it can roll forever or until it rolls off your table.  I made and use a dice tray, which solved this problem.  I actually really like the D4 design.  Read the number from the top as opposed to the top or bottom of a die face.


https://www.amazon.com/Unusual-Approved-Dungeon-Crawl-Classics/dp/B00YLTCRVQ/ref=sr_1_32?ie=UTF8&qid=1498395944&sr=8-32&keywords=zocchi+dice 
Title: Re: Mutant Crawl Classics
Post by: bbmike on June 25, 2017, 08:32:45 AM
I ordered that exact set last week.  ;D
Title: Re: Mutant Crawl Classics
Post by: bayonetbrant on June 25, 2017, 08:43:44 AM
Quote from: Bison on June 25, 2017, 08:09:05 AMI think I like the Game Science a little better, but they also do not make a D30. 

The dTotal is a 30-face die.
Title: Re: Mutant Crawl Classics
Post by: bayonetbrant on June 26, 2017, 05:47:07 PM
https://www.facebook.com/thepiazza.org.uk/photos/a.410907849026450.1073741825.287083718075531/1317754525008440/?type=3&theater
Title: Re: Mutant Crawl Classics
Post by: bbmike on June 26, 2017, 05:52:51 PM
One thing I forgot to do while at Origins was look for lots of cheap miniatures.  #:-)
Title: Re: Mutant Crawl Classics
Post by: mirth on June 26, 2017, 06:00:16 PM
Quote from: bbmike on June 26, 2017, 05:52:51 PM
One thing I forgot to do while at Origins was look for lots of cheap miniatures.  #:-)

It's alright. You were pretty fixated on Munchkin.
Title: Re: Mutant Crawl Classics
Post by: Bison on June 26, 2017, 10:30:34 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 25, 2017, 08:43:44 AM
Quote from: Bison on June 25, 2017, 08:09:05 AMI think I like the Game Science a little better, but they also do not make a D30. 

The dTotal is a 30-face die.

I guess the question is why the hell would they not produce a D30 then to complete their zocchi dice sets.  I think the DTotal is very cool, but I wonder about its practicality. 
Title: Re: Mutant Crawl Classics
Post by: bayonetbrant on June 27, 2017, 05:42:59 AM
very good first question

and for the second - "none"
That thing is huge, and the edges are rounded enough that I'm not sure it'll stop rolling w/o a dice tray or something to stop it.
Title: Re: Mutant Crawl Classics
Post by: mirth on June 27, 2017, 06:57:22 AM
You sure wanted me to buy one though.
Title: Re: Mutant Crawl Classics
Post by: bayonetbrant on June 27, 2017, 07:53:18 AM
Quote from: mirth on June 27, 2017, 06:57:22 AM
You sure wanted me to buy one though.

well yeah.  at that point, it wasn't my money ;)

and you were more gaga over the B'tech dice