GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Jarhead0331 on June 26, 2017, 06:03:03 PM

Title: Deep Rock Galactic
Post by: Jarhead0331 on June 26, 2017, 06:03:03 PM
http://store.steampowered.com/app/548430/Deep_Rock_Galactic/ (http://store.steampowered.com/app/548430/Deep_Rock_Galactic/)

Quote
DEEP ROCK GALACTIC is a first-person co-operative sci-fi shooter for up to 4 players, featuring fully procedural and destructible environments to explore, mine, and explode your way through to reach your objectives. As a team of veteran dwarven space miners, you must take on perilous missions for the interplanetary mining corporation DEEP ROCK GALACTIC and go where no-one else dares - into the deepest, most dangerous cave systems of the most hostile planet ever discovered.

    TEAMWORK ABOVE ALL - For efficient traversal and exploration as well as combat, you will need to rely on your teammates.
    A MATTER OF CLASS - Pick the right class for your play style - mow through enemies as the Gunner, scout ahead and light up the caves as the Navigator, chew through solid rock as the Driller, or support the team with defensive structures and turrets as the Engineer.
    CARVE YOUR OWN PATH - Fully destructible and procedurally generated environments means there is no set path - it is up to you how to reach your goal.
    THE TOOLS THAT YOU NEED - A plethora of tools and gadgets at your disposal means no obstacle is insurmountable.
    INTO THE DARK - The only light is what you bring, and the pitch-black alien caves will not give their riches up easily.

I have three (3) press steam codes for the closed alpha of this game. If you are interested in participating in the closed alpha, let me know. I'll only ask that you connect with me and help me test it so I can publish some early access/alpha impressions.
Title: Re: Deep Rock Galactic
Post by: Jarhead0331 on June 26, 2017, 09:25:52 PM
None of you people wants a free code?

Jesus...its dwarves. In space...with guns! WTF?
Title: Re: Deep Rock Galactic
Post by: -budd- on June 26, 2017, 10:13:23 PM
I'll roll with ya, as long as weekends are OK for multi-player. It was the dwarves with guns that got me. I'm in the PST zone if that will work. Just tell me the dwarves have a badas* shotgun ;)
Title: Re: Deep Rock Galactic
Post by: Bardolph on June 27, 2017, 01:43:54 AM
Looks pretty cool, but I imagine my normal gaming hours are probably too late to group up. I don't normally get online to game until 11pm EST or so.

Kinda Space Hulk with Stunties in a cave instead of space. :D
Title: Re: Deep Rock Galactic
Post by: Ian C on June 27, 2017, 03:02:09 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 26, 2017, 09:25:52 PM
None of you people wants a free code?

Jesus...its dwarves. In space...with guns! WTF?

Best quote ever.
Title: Re: Deep Rock Galactic
Post by: Destraex on June 27, 2017, 04:19:40 AM
I'd prolly roll with ya. But my eyes play up with space hulk (like they do in mwo) and I am in the wrong time zone compadre.
Title: Re: Deep Rock Galactic
Post by: JasonPratt on June 27, 2017, 07:29:32 AM
Saw this on Steam yesterday I think; sure wasn't going to pay for alpha, but free alpha? SURE!  :smitten:

Space Hulk Dwarves Unter Alles.

I must add that this is one of those times I wished this particular forum had its BBCode for pinging members active (example: [tag]JasonPratt[/tag]), because OBVIOUSLY GUS MUST BE ALERTED WITH ALL SPEED!
Title: Re: Deep Rock Galactic
Post by: Gusington on June 27, 2017, 07:42:27 AM
Space Dwarf Gus Jesus? Crazytalk.

Thank you Pratt I saw this yesterday but wanted to give forumers a chance to grab a code if they wanted it.
Title: Re: Deep Rock Galactic
Post by: Jarhead0331 on June 27, 2017, 01:37:43 PM
All keys distributed. Hardest free thing I've ever had to give away.
Title: Re: Deep Rock Galactic
Post by: Steelgrave on June 27, 2017, 01:45:34 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 27, 2017, 01:37:43 PM
Hardest free thing I've ever had to give away.

Sounds like Gussy's love life   ::)
Title: Re: Deep Rock Galactic
Post by: Gusington on June 27, 2017, 01:47:18 PM
It will take time for me to decipher the above.
Title: Re: Deep Rock Galactic
Post by: Steelgrave on June 27, 2017, 01:48:36 PM
Cryptic is my natural state.
Title: Re: Deep Rock Galactic
Post by: Gusington on June 27, 2017, 01:50:10 PM
 Clearly...or is it?
Title: Re: Deep Rock Galactic
Post by: Steelgrave on June 27, 2017, 01:51:54 PM
 ^ ;D
Title: Re: Deep Rock Galactic
Post by: Gusington on June 27, 2017, 01:53:22 PM
 :coolsmiley:
Title: Re: Deep Rock Galactic
Post by: JasonPratt on June 27, 2017, 05:45:53 PM
Played the game a little, early this evening, as a scout mining alone by myself in the easy area.

Protip: do not waste ammo on the little things. Pickaxe them. You aren't going home without the mineral budget you were sent to retrieve, and if you run out of ammo... well, actually I think you can send for more ammo, but I'm not sure the functionality is there.

Also, I would have had to be clever about getting the last vein of what I needed to call the drill back. But see protip above. ;)  :buck2:
Title: Re: Deep Rock Galactic
Post by: -budd- on June 27, 2017, 08:41:43 PM
Well i never made it back, got a lot in the mule but the spiders ganged up on me....a lot of spiders. I can see you definitely need someone to watch your back. The zip line is cool, i zipped out of a group of spiders kept hitting me with the blinding web crap then I whipped out the big gun and went to work. Regenerating health is the right move for this game. The hit box for the ax is a bit off,  I'd like an arrow on the map to show which way your facing. The guns need to be beefier, the ax also...i'm a dwarf i should be carrying a big ass nasty looking pick ax. The game does a good job of giving you a claustrophobic feeling of going underground  and after the spiders sneak up on you a few times your glancing around constantly. The web blinding might be a little overdone and need to be toned down a bit. I used the explodey plants to take out the spiders when i could. I got lost a bit, don't think i'd be good on point. It's an alpha so a lot of settings/adjustments are missing, thats to be expected. I am having trouble with the controls, i dont use w,a,s,d usually and you cant remap right now. Game ran solid, didn't experience any FPS drops or crashes. Some of the explodey plants were hanging in mid air but other than that didnt notice anything.
Title: Re: Deep Rock Galactic
Post by: jomni on June 28, 2017, 08:41:36 AM
Looks really fun. But I don't have friends.

Title: Re: Deep Rock Galactic
Post by: JasonPratt on June 28, 2017, 03:53:04 PM
If you have a Steam account, you can get instant friends from the Grogheads group!  :hug: I'm "Sabreman", but most of us use the same Steam and forum names.

The game is still in closed alpha tho.
Title: Re: Deep Rock Galactic
Post by: JasonPratt on June 28, 2017, 03:53:52 PM
Budd -- yeah after that first mission I was thinking, "We should get one more alpha key for Martok...!"  >:D
Title: Re: Deep Rock Galactic
Post by: JasonPratt on June 28, 2017, 09:20:37 PM
Asid and I played 3 or 4 missions tonight, with Budd joining in on the last one which ran a little over an hour. (The others were shorter, smaller maps.) This was a 'main' mission with bugs attacking from the outset and with a fully random and quite vertical "sphere" of a map. ...uh, come to think of it, we had a party wipe on our first attempt, as we all got tongued to death! (Not a euphamism.)

We very nearly had a party wipe in the second attempt as well, with a bunch of dangerous holes near our landing site that were fatal to fall into. Fortunately, once down, a dwarf can be restored by a comrade once in proximity. The camera is still active, but no dwarf abilities, so the fallen player can talk in others but really the others have to scan for him and be careful not to get into the same trouble! (See: wiped by tongues.)

Mental note to ask how Asid gets so many alpha keys...!

We all had a fun time, even though strictly speaking we were just mining 3 mineral types and shooting spiders with the occasional flying electric jellyfish. Obviously the game doesn't have neaaarrrllllyyyy the depth of 7 Days to Die or Fortresscraft: Evolved, but it's not those kinds of games either despite the voxel digging (and occasional long falls in the oppressive dark). It's more like Helldivers with more exploration and somewhat less shooting.
Title: Re: Deep Rock Galactic
Post by: -budd- on June 28, 2017, 09:39:55 PM
Think we all died in about 10 minutes :2funny:.....beware the big holes and poison gas. Much better on the second run, mission accomplished. Curious to see what other enemy variety there is in the game. Game ran solid except for few clipping issues, there's a good base for some fun coop games, although i still want beefier guns O0 but i do love the zipline gun.
Title: Re: Deep Rock Galactic
Post by: JasonPratt on June 29, 2017, 09:34:11 AM
Come to think of it, did we have two party wipes?? Poison gas and falls took down me and someone else (you and/or Asid), but those things from Half Life definitely killed all four of us at one point.
Title: Re: Deep Rock Galactic
Post by: -budd- on June 30, 2017, 08:55:41 AM
I should be able to put some time into the game this evening (PST) if anyone catches me on steam give a holla.
Title: Re: Deep Rock Galactic
Post by: JasonPratt on June 30, 2017, 09:12:22 AM
I was on a lot last night, but didn't ping various people when I saw them on.  :-[
Title: Re: Deep Rock Galactic
Post by: -budd- on June 30, 2017, 09:40:38 AM
No worries, worked a long day didn't game just browsed for a bit. Hope to catch you on this weekend.
Title: Re: Deep Rock Galactic
Post by: Yskonyn on September 30, 2020, 04:00:08 PM
Finally got around to playing this game after a friend kept on telling me to get it.
Frankly, I can't believe I haven't earlier! It's become my game of the year instantly with its clever gameplay loop, its humour and its friendly community.
I've played about 30 missions now and not once I've ran into people who didn't help, let alone be douchebags.
On the contrary; it seems the community has their own etiquette that seems to be followed; always greet a newly joining player, never just push the end mission button before asking if anyone still needs something; seeing you are a new player people are giving you friendly advise and tips during the mission. It's all pretty great!

It also helps that the game makes this stuff easy with some QoL features like a marker system and easy emoting as well as a social space to have fun with in between missions. And the built in voice chat helps as well. Many people seem to use it in my 2-day experience now.

It would be an AWESOME romp with some Grogs as well by the way!
Great 4-player co-op fun!! Recommended heartily!   :bd: :bd:
Title: Re: Deep Rock Galactic
Post by: JasonPratt on October 01, 2020, 07:36:33 PM
Drop me a line if you'd like to drop mine!
Title: Re: Deep Rock Galactic
Post by: Yskonyn on October 02, 2020, 08:06:44 AM
Quote from: JasonPratt on October 01, 2020, 07:36:33 PM
Drop me a line if you'd like to drop mine!

I always host mp, so whenever you see me in-game, feel free to join!  O0
Title: Re: Deep Rock Galactic
Post by: JasonPratt on October 02, 2020, 09:03:20 AM
I greatly second Ysk's review of the game, by the way, and gladly encourage fellows to go for it if you even suspect you may like the game!

(Single-player is reasonably balanced as well, btw.)