GrogHeads Forum

IRL (In Real Life) => Music, TV, Movies => Topic started by: MetalDog on June 29, 2017, 10:48:24 PM

Poll
Question: 1992 Round of 16
Option 1: This is the 1/16 matchup.  Please pick one. votes: 0
Option 2: 1 In Bloom - Nirvana votes: 9
Option 3: 16 Everything About You - Ugly Kid Joe votes: 3
Option 4: This is the 8/9 matchup.  Please pick one. votes: 0
Option 5: 8 Even Better Than the Real Thing - U2 votes: 8
Option 6: 9 Man On the Moon - R.E.M. votes: 5
Option 7: This is the 5/12 matchup.  Please pick one. votes: 0
Option 8: 5 Walk - Pantera votes: 8
Option 9: 12 Symphony Of Destruction - Megadeth votes: 5
Option 10: This is the 4/13 matchup.  Please pick one. votes: 0
Option 11: 4 Killing In the Name - Rage Against the Machine votes: 11
Option 12: 13 Thunder Kiss '65 - White Zombie votes: 2
Option 13: This is the 6/11 matchup.  Please pick one. votes: 0
Option 14: 6 Remedy - Black Crowes votes: 9
Option 15: 11 Breaking the Girl - Red Hot Chili Peppers votes: 4
Option 16: This is the 3/14 matchup.  Please pick one. votes: 0
Option 17: 3 Jeremy - Pearl Jam votes: 7
Option 18: 14 So What'cha Want - Beastie Boys votes: 6
Option 19: This is the 7/10 matchup.  Please pick one. votes: 0
Option 20: 7 Plush - Stone Temple Pilots votes: 8
Option 21: 10 Tones Of Home - Blind Melon votes: 4
Option 22: This is the 2/15 matchup.  Please pick one. votes: 0
Option 23: 2 Down In A Hole - Alice In Chains votes: 11
Option 24: 15 Knockin' On Heavens Door - Guns N Roses votes: 4
Title: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1992 Round of 16
Post by: MetalDog on June 29, 2017, 10:48:24 PM
First, I am super sorry it's taken so long to get this week's Bracket up for 1992.  Been on vacation and then the catch up at work from when you are on vacation.  Second, 1992 was a super weak year for music.  I had to import 5 songs from albums released in 1991 (the songs I used were released as singles in '92) in order to have 16 songs for the bracket.  Third, while I was doing the research, I saw albums by The Cure, Public Image, Ltd. and others of their ilk released in 1992.  I admit to having no knowledge or liking for that genre.  So, if there was something on them that you considered essential and much better choices than some I chose, I apologize.  And I will be glad to vote in YOUR bracket when you put it up.  In the meantime, happy voting and thank you so much for continuing to come along on this journey with me!



The 1/16





The 8/9





The 5/12





The 4/13





The 6/11





The 3/14





The 7/10





The 2/15



Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1992 Round f 16
Post by: bayonetbrant on June 30, 2017, 05:48:18 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on June 29, 2017, 10:48:24 PMSo, if there was something on them that you considered essential and much better choices than some I chose, I apologize.

Off the top of my head...

  • Pull Me Under, Dream Theater
  • Midlife Crisis or Be Aggressive, Faith No More
  • Tennessee, Arrested Development
  • Trigger Cut, Pavement
  • anything from Blues for the Red Sun, Kyuss
  • Twisterella or Leave Them All Behind, Ride
  • Winter Song, Screaming Trees
  • Somebody to Shove, Soul Asylum
  • The entire goddamn Singles Soundtrack

never mind you've got the wrong songs from
  • U2 - should've gone with One over Even Better Than The Real Thing
  • White Zombie - Black Sunshine is a much better tune
  • Pearl Jam - if "Jeremy" is your only choice, you don't put anything on there, but you had 2 songs from the "Singles" soundtrack you could've used, plus the original B-side release of Yellow Ledbetter in 1992
  • Stone Temple Pilots - Plush was the bigger hit; Wicked Garden is the better tune, Sex Type Thing made them famous
  • GNR - if you're going to cheat and pull singles released in '92 from albums in '91, then you pull Yesterdays instead of Knockin' on Heaven's Door

(as a side note, I would've put different songs from Megadeth, Black Crowes, and Alice in Chains on there, but your choices are at least defensible; slight bonus for the more under-rated Blind Melon tune that no one remembers)
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1992 Round f 16
Post by: MetalDog on June 30, 2017, 05:55:51 AM
If you're going to use a quote, maybe you should use the whole quote ;)


Quote from: MetalDog on June 29, 2017, 10:48:24 PM
So, if there was something on them that you considered essential and much better choices than some I chose, I apologize.  And I will be glad to vote in YOUR bracket when you put it up.


And some of you are doing it again.  PLEASE, if you are going to vote, vote for all of them.  Don't just pick and choose.
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1992 Round of 16
Post by: bayonetbrant on June 30, 2017, 06:02:44 AM
I'm a big fan of selective editing.  I'm going to be running for office soon, too


I'm also not the one who selectively edited out 5-8 better songs from my top 16!
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1992 Round of 16
Post by: MetalDog on June 30, 2017, 06:29:04 AM
Even with as much musical knowledge and experience as I have, I still don't know but a tiny fraction of all the music out there.  And of the music I do know, I detest some of it, like Guns N Roses. 
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1992 Round of 16
Post by: bayonetbrant on June 30, 2017, 07:10:56 AM
and if you're going for '91 album / '92 single....

[yt]https://youtu.be/R2I2mK_3_ns[/yt]

O0
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1992 Round of 16
Post by: mirth on June 30, 2017, 07:48:04 AM
I don't really care about the polls. I read these things for the Brant/MD bitch-slapping.
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1992 Round of 16
Post by: Steelgrave on June 30, 2017, 09:32:37 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on June 30, 2017, 06:29:04 AM
Even with as much musical knowledge and experience as I have, I still don't know but a tiny fraction of all the music out there.  And of the music I do know, I detest some of it, like Guns N Roses.

All I can say is I knew every single song Dawg choose and maybe half of what Brant posted. Brant, you may be a wine connoisseur hanging out with a beer crowd here. If I googled your list, I'm sure I would recognize some of your choices but you may be preaching to the wrong choir.
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1992 Round of 16
Post by: bobarossa on June 30, 2017, 09:38:52 AM
I hardly ever listened to any of those songs.  Guess I'm staying out of this one.
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1992 Round of 16
Post by: bayonetbrant on June 30, 2017, 09:40:49 AM
Quote from: Steelgrave on June 30, 2017, 09:32:37 AMBrant, you may be a wine connoisseur hanging out with a beer crowd here. If I googled your list, I'm sure I would recognize some of your choices but you may be preaching to the wrong choir.

Doesn't excuse leaving off the entire goddamn Singles soundtrack!
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1992 Round of 16
Post by: mirth on June 30, 2017, 09:44:43 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 30, 2017, 09:40:49 AM
Quote from: Steelgrave on June 30, 2017, 09:32:37 AMBrant, you may be a wine connoisseur hanging out with a beer crowd here. If I googled your list, I'm sure I would recognize some of your choices but you may be preaching to the wrong choir.

Doesn't excuse leaving off the entire goddamn Singles soundtrack!

Kinda gotta agree with that.
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1992 Round of 16
Post by: Steelgrave on June 30, 2017, 09:45:32 AM
Is it too early for a Pabst Blue Ribbon?   8)
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1992 Round of 16
Post by: mirth on June 30, 2017, 09:46:30 AM
I hope not. I'm on my third.
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1992 Round of 16
Post by: Steelgrave on June 30, 2017, 09:47:27 AM
 ;D
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1992 Round of 16
Post by: bayonetbrant on June 30, 2017, 09:55:04 AM
Quote from: mirth on June 30, 2017, 09:44:43 AMKinda gotta agree with that.

Quote from: mirth on June 30, 2017, 09:46:30 AMI hope not. I'm on my third.

One suspects these are connected
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1992 Round of 16
Post by: mirth on June 30, 2017, 09:55:47 AM
Just be happy I'm agreeing with you for a change.
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1992 Round of 16
Post by: Steelgrave on June 30, 2017, 09:58:11 AM
Quote from: mirth on June 30, 2017, 09:55:47 AM
Just be happy I'm agreeing with you for a change.

It's like closing time.....the drunker you are the better she looks   ;D :o ^-^ :buck2:
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1992 Round of 16
Post by: mirth on June 30, 2017, 10:00:02 AM
I must be drunker than I ever have been.
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1992 Round of 16
Post by: trailrunner on June 30, 2017, 04:00:15 PM
Just another thanks for putting this together.  I'm sure this takes a lot of time.  I really enjoy this every week, even though the votes don't always go my way.  Your matchups this week are pretty good and game me a couple of tough choices.



Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1992 Round of 16
Post by: mirth on June 30, 2017, 04:34:23 PM
MD doesn't mind. He hardly works :P
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1992 Round of 16
Post by: MetalDog on June 30, 2017, 04:51:56 PM
If by hardly works you mean eleven hours a day, then yeah, you're right.


Quote from: trailrunner on June 30, 2017, 04:00:15 PM
Just another thanks for putting this together.  I'm sure this takes a lot of time.  I really enjoy this every week, even though the votes don't always go my way.  Your matchups this week are pretty good and game me a couple of tough choices.


You are quite welcome.  I really enjoy doing this and hearing that I gave you guys some tough choices makes me smile :)


Quote from: mirth on June 30, 2017, 09:44:43 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 30, 2017, 09:40:49 AM
Quote from: Steelgrave on June 30, 2017, 09:32:37 AMBrant, you may be a wine connoisseur hanging out with a beer crowd here. If I googled your list, I'm sure I would recognize some of your choices but you may be preaching to the wrong choir.

Doesn't excuse leaving off the entire goddamn Singles soundtrack!

Kinda gotta agree with that.


To absolutely noone's surprise, I've never heard of Singles.  Checking out what's on the soundtrack just confirms what I thought, a bunch of douchey Seattle grunge bullshi*.  Minus Would? of course.  And I chose Down In A Hole instead, so quit your bitching.
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1992 Round of 16
Post by: Steelgrave on June 30, 2017, 06:13:38 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on June 30, 2017, 04:51:56 PM
To absolutely noone's surprise, I've never heard of Singles.  Checking out what's on the soundtrack just confirms what I thought, a bunch of douchey Seattle grunge bullshi*.  Minus Would? of course.  And I chose Down In A Hole instead, so quit your bitching.

I had to Google "Singles" as well since I had never heard of it. Never heard of some of those songs either. Maybe that's why I tend to like your polls, we both have blue collar taste in music  8)
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1992 Round of 16
Post by: MetalDog on June 30, 2017, 06:14:34 PM
Atta boy, Steelie!  I always knew I liked you ;)  :)
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1992 Round of 16
Post by: bayonetbrant on June 30, 2017, 07:00:43 PM
Quote from: Steelgrave on June 30, 2017, 06:13:38 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on June 30, 2017, 04:51:56 PM
To absolutely noone's surprise, I've never heard of Singles.  Checking out what's on the soundtrack just confirms what I thought, a bunch of douchey Seattle grunge bullshi*.  Minus Would? of course.  And I chose Down In A Hole instead, so quit your bitching.

I had to Google "Singles" as well since I had never heard of it. Never heard of some of those songs either. Maybe that's why I tend to like your polls, we both have blue collar taste in music  8)

It's not just the soundtrack, it's the movie, too.

If you want to know what happened to the kids that were freshmen in Fast Times, sophomores in Sixteen Candles, juniors in The Breakfast Club, and seniors in Say Anything, they grew up into the main characters in Singles.

No generation has ever had a better story arc told through the movies than Generation X.
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1992 Round of 16
Post by: bayonetbrant on June 30, 2017, 07:02:00 PM
And Smashing Pumpkins weren't a grunge band.

And Collective Soul totally stole the riff from "Drown" for "Shine"
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1992 Round of 16
Post by: bayonetbrant on June 30, 2017, 07:09:51 PM
And any of you fuckers who were talking about how much you loved Soundgarden after Chris Cornell died, but you don't know where "Spoonman" comes from, get to keep quiet about "Singles"
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1992 Round of 16
Post by: Steelgrave on June 30, 2017, 07:40:41 PM
Have some wine and turn up NPR. I have a PBR and a zombie flick to watch   :coolsmiley: O0
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1992 Round of 16
Post by: Staggerwing on June 30, 2017, 07:54:47 PM
PBR? PBR? I see your PBR and raise you two Carling Black Labels, a Stroh's, a Blatz and a Utica Club.
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1992 Round of 16
Post by: Steelgrave on June 30, 2017, 07:57:27 PM
I should have said PBR in a bottle. I'm no cheap slut.
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1992 Round of 16
Post by: -budd- on June 30, 2017, 08:21:12 PM
you guys crack me up, and i haven't even looked at the bracket. 92 was pretty grungey, some good stuff in there but i do have a hard time with it in large doses these days. After the party and have fun and worry about shit later 80's grunge seemed like a 180. Guess i'll look at the bracket.....be back to bitch about what you left off MD \m/
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1992 Round of 16
Post by: -budd- on June 30, 2017, 08:31:46 PM
Sound Garden should of been in there and wasn't Metallica's Black album 92 .....other than that i got nothing. 5 and 12 was a hard choice, went with the cowboys from hell.
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1992 Round of 16
Post by: Steelgrave on June 30, 2017, 08:35:07 PM
Quote from: -budd- on June 30, 2017, 08:31:46 PM
Sound Garden should of been in there and wasn't Metallica's Black album 92 .....other than that i got nothing. 5 and 12 was a hard choice, went with the cowboys from hell.

5 and 12 was my most difficult choice as well but I came to the same conclusion as you.
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1992 Round of 16
Post by: Staggerwing on June 30, 2017, 09:58:19 PM
Quote from: Steelgrave on June 30, 2017, 07:57:27 PM
I should have said PBR in a bottle. I'm no cheap slut.

Full confession: in my early 20's I drank a whole lot of Piels Real Draft. Barely eking out an existence I was... There was no such thing as 'microbrew' and Anchor Steam was still a West Coast thing.

Then one day a girl in an English themed bar in Hartford, CT, gave me a John Courage, fresh from Old Blighty. I never looked back.

Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1992 Round of 16
Post by: Steelgrave on June 30, 2017, 10:01:00 PM
My oldest son is a real beer connoisseur and he's always trying to turn me on to new beers, some of which I enjoy. And I do drink other beers. But while I have much better taste in the hard stuff, my go-to beer for 40 years has been PBR. Trust me, I'm not trying to defend it, ha! But it does amuse the hell out of me that PBR has become a "hipster" thing....whatever the frack that is.
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1992 Round of 16
Post by: Staggerwing on June 30, 2017, 10:13:18 PM
Actually, since Anheiser-Busch went off-shore Pabst and it's many owned sub brands is the largest American-only brewery company.
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1992 Round of 16
Post by: MetalDog on June 30, 2017, 11:21:04 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on June 30, 2017, 07:54:47 PM
PBR? PBR? I see your PBR and raise you two Carling Black Labels, a Stroh's, a Blatz and a Utica Club.

I didn't even know they still made that shit.  Carling Black Label is like drinking liquid black licorice.  Disgusting :vomit:  But at least it ain't Red, White and Blue.  Four niney nine a case.
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1992 Round of 16
Post by: Steelgrave on July 01, 2017, 10:19:57 AM
And here I thought Dawg was a fellow Man of the People  8)
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1992 Round of 16
Post by: MetalDog on July 01, 2017, 10:36:56 AM
If being a Man of the People means drinking cheap, shitty beer, then I am out ;)
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1992 Round of 16
Post by: Steelgrave on July 01, 2017, 11:11:56 AM
I'm not sure what this cheap, shitty beer is you are referring to. I was talking a cold PBR in a bottle. Guess you won't be my choice to run a Decades Feeder Bracket for beer  8)
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1992 Round of 16
Post by: bayonetbrant on July 01, 2017, 11:58:58 AM
Quote from: -budd- on June 30, 2017, 08:31:46 PM
Sound Garden should of been in there

Soundgarden didn't release an album that year
Badmotorfinger was '91, Superunknown was '94


Quote from: -budd- on June 30, 2017, 08:31:46 PMwasn't Metallica's Black album 92 .....

'91, though some of the singles lingered into '92
But if "Nothing Else Matters" is what you're craving to have on the bracket, you need help...
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1992 Round of 16
Post by: Steelgrave on July 01, 2017, 12:44:01 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 01, 2017, 11:58:58 AM
But if "Nothing Else Matters" is what you're craving to have on the bracket, you need help...

^Definitely not a Man of the People. Have a cold PBR   :coolsmiley:
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1992 Round of 16
Post by: jamus34 on July 01, 2017, 01:21:52 PM
Dammit sorry MD I borked your chart. Didn't pick on half and picked both entries on the 2/15 and when trying to fix hit submit
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1992 Round of 16
Post by: MetalDog on July 01, 2017, 01:27:45 PM
It's alright, jamus.  It was bound to happen at some point.  Just thanks for voting.


Quote from: Steelgrave on July 01, 2017, 11:11:56 AM
I'm not sure what this cheap, shitty beer is you are referring to. I was talking a cold PBR in a bottle. Guess you won't be my choice to run a Decades Feeder Bracket for beer  8)


I was talking about Carling Black Label and Red, White, and Blue.  Never had a PBR.
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1992 Round of 16
Post by: Steelgrave on July 01, 2017, 02:10:32 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on July 01, 2017, 01:27:45 PM
It's alright, jamus.  It was bound to happen at some point.  Just thanks for voting.


Quote from: Steelgrave on July 01, 2017, 11:11:56 AM
I'm not sure what this cheap, shitty beer is you are referring to. I was talking a cold PBR in a bottle. Guess you won't be my choice to run a Decades Feeder Bracket for beer  8)


I was talking about Carling Black Label and Red, White, and Blue.  Never had a PBR.

If I make Origins next year I'll have to change that  O0
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1992 Round of 16
Post by: bayonetbrant on July 01, 2017, 02:48:51 PM
Quote from: Steelgrave on July 01, 2017, 12:44:01 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 01, 2017, 11:58:58 AM
But if "Nothing Else Matters" is what you're craving to have on the bracket, you need help...

^Definitely not a Man of the People. Have a cold PBR   :coolsmiley:

seriously?  it's a completely shitty sell-out song by a band that had otherwise kicked everyone's ass for the better part of 8 years and dragged down an otherwise stellar album
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1992 Round of 16
Post by: bayonetbrant on July 01, 2017, 02:49:27 PM
Quote from: Steelgrave on July 01, 2017, 02:10:32 PMIf I make Origins next year I'll have to change that  O0

"if"
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1992 Round of 16
Post by: Arctic Blast on July 01, 2017, 06:45:09 PM
These offers of PBR for all are not exactly making Origins sound like a destination... ;D
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1992 Round of 16
Post by: bayonetbrant on July 01, 2017, 07:08:35 PM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on July 01, 2017, 06:45:09 PM
These offers of PBR for all are not exactly making Origins sound like a destination... ;D

there's better beer across the street at Barley's and some of the other brewpubs.
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1992 Round of 16
Post by: Barthheart on July 01, 2017, 09:08:28 PM
Most excellent double IPA at a place above Barley's that mirth found.  O0
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1992 Round of 16
Post by: MetalDog on July 01, 2017, 10:20:17 PM
And the barmaids are friendly, too  :bd:


Quote from: Steelgrave on July 01, 2017, 02:10:32 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on July 01, 2017, 01:27:45 PM
It's alright, jamus.  It was bound to happen at some point.  Just thanks for voting.


Quote from: Steelgrave on July 01, 2017, 11:11:56 AM
I'm not sure what this cheap, shitty beer is you are referring to. I was talking a cold PBR in a bottle. Guess you won't be my choice to run a Decades Feeder Bracket for beer  8)


I was talking about Carling Black Label and Red, White, and Blue.  Never had a PBR.

If I make Origins next year I'll have to change that  O0


You're on, sir!  Now, you'll just have to join us ;)