I'm not very familiar with any of them, but has anyone read/played any of the other titles which use the Apocalypse World engine?
Specifically other interesting ones besides Dungeon World, and AW itself. But general impressions of the core system would be appreciated.
Was curious about Monster of the Week, and maybe Urban Shadows, but realized there are probably more out there I don't know about. I have Blades In The Dark which has some AW pedigree mixed in, but it doesn't technically use the AW system. Made me curious as to what other themes/styles were out there.
Other than PDFs on Drivethru RPG I've never seen a physical copy for sale at a LGS. I'd like to hear some thoughts on it too.
Quote from: Bison on July 03, 2017, 01:33:44 PM
Other than PDFs on Drivethru RPG I've never seen a physical copy for sale at a LGS. I'd like to hear some thoughts on it too.
The books are actually pretty cheap on Amazon.
From what I've seen of it
Dungeon World looks like an interesting take on the D&D-style crawler RPG. Streamlined in some areas, but also adding some extra character archetype flavor.
They all look rather rules-lite, and quick to prep & start. The latter facet being what catches my interest most.
Although not technically using the
Apocalypse World system, the
Blades in the Dark RPG has very heavy influences from it.
I've been intrigued, skimming through the BitD book, and the theme of the PCs running a criminal gang or cult is pretty damn cool too. Although I think it's setting may not be for everyone, being in a dark early industrial fantasy one similar to the
Dishonored video game series. So I started looking at other settings using a similar system. In case that one didn't fly with potential
victims players in the future.
Being relatively inexpensive paperbacks, I picked up a couple of these Apocalypse World based RPGs.
Got Monster of the Week in this afternoon. For a Hellboy/Monster Hunter Intl/Dresden Files/Hellblazer/Constantine sorta mash-up. :coolsmiley:
Will post impressions after getting acquainted.
Cool. I'll look forward to your reports.