GrogHeads Forum

Tabletop Gaming, Models, and Minis => Wargaming => Topic started by: JudgeDredd on July 05, 2017, 06:57:10 AM

Title: Going to bag me Target for Today
Post by: JudgeDredd on July 05, 2017, 06:57:10 AM
I want the upgraded version of B-17 Queen of the Skies - it's due in the UK some point soon...I've got my eyes peeled!  :))
Title: Re: Going to bag me Target for Today
Post by: DennisS on July 18, 2017, 03:37:38 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 05, 2017, 06:57:10 AM
I want the upgraded version of B-17 Queen of the Skies - it's due in the UK some point soon...I've got my eyes peeled!  :))

Will this be available stateside soon, or strictly UK?
Title: Re: Going to bag me Target for Today
Post by: Barthheart on July 18, 2017, 04:35:21 PM
Target for Today is available in the US as far as I know. Lots of pics and AARs on BGG.
Title: Re: Going to bag me Target for Today
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on July 18, 2017, 04:56:21 PM
I was going to pick it up but after reading a few AARs on BGG, it seemed to me that there wasn't really a lot of player choice involved.  It was mostly just telling a story through rolls on charts and tables.  Is this the case?
Title: Re: Going to bag me Target for Today
Post by: Nefaro on July 18, 2017, 05:03:22 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on July 18, 2017, 04:56:21 PM
I was going to pick it up but after reading a few AARs on BGG, it seemed to me that there wasn't really a lot of player choice involved.  It was mostly just telling a story through rolls on charts and tables.  Is this the case?


Like B-17 QotS, yes.

Title: Re: Going to bag me Target for Today
Post by: JudgeDredd on July 18, 2017, 05:13:04 PM
I've just been told my copy is in. £60 + £3 delivery.

I know I didn't "get on" with QotS - but I'm a sucker for punishment and I would like to try again from a story perspective. Also - the new production values got me moist.
Title: Re: Going to bag me Target for Today
Post by: ArizonaTank on July 18, 2017, 10:52:04 PM
I generally don't like the idea of a "story generator" with minimal decision making...  Still, I bought Target for Today, and am having a good time with it.  Kind of like watching a movie. 

However, in TfT you do have choices to make at some junctures. Fire allocation is one big area.  But also some others:

For example in a game I played, the Right Waist Gunner was hit by a round from an FW-190...took his leg.  The fuel transfer pumps were also destroyed, so the B-17 didn't have enough fuel to get back to England.  So I had to make the decision to either have the crew bail-out and lose the waist gunner who couldn't jump, or ditch the B-17 in the English channel.  I chose to give the gunner a chance and ditch.  It did not really work out well, while the crew was rescued, most of them were badly injured in the landing.  The waist gunner died in hospital.
Title: Re: Going to bag me Target for Today
Post by: JudgeDredd on July 19, 2017, 05:13:46 AM
Just ordered it from Limey Yank Games for £60 + £3 delivery. Bargain.  O0
Title: Re: Going to bag me Target for Today
Post by: JudgeDredd on July 19, 2017, 12:12:46 PM
And it's on it's way. Great service from LimeyYankGames
Title: Re: Going to bag me Target for Today
Post by: Nefaro on July 20, 2017, 11:27:23 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 19, 2017, 12:12:46 PM
And it's on it's way. Great service from LimeyYankGames

Is that the only place you guys can get wargames from NA without paying the extra protection fees/VAT?  Or does the store pay it when they import, and pass that cost on?
Title: Re: Going to bag me Target for Today
Post by: JudgeDredd on July 20, 2017, 11:52:52 AM
I honestly do not know. My buying practices online are very limited.

I think I found out about this place from bob. The other places I can shop are BoardGameExtras and BoardGameGuru. Apart from that, I don't really know of anywhere. I try looking online, but often get frustrated with their very, very shabby, 1990s websites with very limited searching options.

I have also bought from BGG from a couple of UK suppliers

I don't have a lot of experience of buying board games.

Also - there's no shops around me that do war board games
Title: Re: Going to bag me Target for Today
Post by: JudgeDredd on July 21, 2017, 05:22:04 AM
Look what came today   ^-^

(https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4300/35221810574_df255bbe13_b.jpg)
Title: Re: Going to bag me Target for Today
Post by: ArizonaTank on July 21, 2017, 07:20:27 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 21, 2017, 05:22:04 AM
Look what came today   ^-^

(https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4300/35221810574_df255bbe13_b.jpg)

The Board Game Geek page has a table you can download to generate crew names, ages and state where they are from.  It adds some nice "flavor" chrome.  The page actually has a bunch of stuff for download if you haven't checked it out already. 
Title: Re: Going to bag me Target for Today
Post by: mirth on July 21, 2017, 07:28:30 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 21, 2017, 05:22:04 AM
Look what came today   ^-^

(https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4300/35221810574_df255bbe13_b.jpg)

:bd: