Poll
Question:
1973 Round of 16
Option 1: This is the 1/16 matchup. Please pick one.
votes: 0
Option 2: 1 Free Bird - Lynyrd Skynyrd
votes: 9
Option 3: 16 Ridin' the Storm Out - REO Speedwagon
votes: 5
Option 4: This is the 8/9 matchup. Please pick one.
votes: 0
Option 5: 8 Radar Love - Golden Earring
votes: 12
Option 6: 9 Rock N Roll Hoochie Koo - Rick Derringer
votes: 2
Option 7: This is the 5/12 matchup. Please pick one.
votes: 0
Option 8: 5 The Song Remains the Same - Led Zeppelin
votes: 8
Option 9: 12 Karn Evil 9 1st Impression Pt. 2 - Emerson, Lake, and Palmer
votes: 6
Option 10: This is the 4/13 matchup. Please pick one.
votes: 0
Option 11: 4 5:15 - The Who
votes: 10
Option 12: 13 Waitin' For the Bus/Jesus Just Left Chicago - ZZ Top
votes: 4
Option 13: This is the 6/11 matchup. Please pick one.
votes: 0
Option 14: 6 The Jean Genie - David Bowie
votes: 7
Option 15: 11 Keep Yourself Alive - Queen
votes: 7
Option 16: This is the 3/14 matchup. Please pick one.
votes: 0
Option 17: 3 Heartbreaker - Rolling Stones
votes: 8
Option 18: 14 Rocky Mountain Way - Joe Walsh
votes: 6
Option 19: This is the 7/10 matchup. Please pick one.
votes: 0
Option 20: 7 Higher Ground - Stevie Wonder
votes: 9
Option 21: 10 The Joker - Steve Miller Band
votes: 5
Option 22: This is the 2/15 matchup. Please pick one.
votes: 0
Option 23: 2 Time - Pink Floyd
votes: 8
Option 24: 15 Funeral For A Friend /Love Lies Bleeding - Elton John
votes: 6
1973 is one of the reasons I
LOVE music. Soooooo much good stuff came out this year. I had no trouble picking songs to put in the Bracket. No, the trouble was, what do I leave out?! There's enough leftover for three more Brackets! Much as I would love to get all that out to you, I haven't the time nor do you have the patience, to do it justice. So you're just going to have to live with what I chose to represent. And this Bracket, more than any of the others up to this point, is made up of songs I personally love (with one exception(if I hadn't included it, you would have screamed for it during the encore)). Thank you as always for voting and I hope you enjoy!
The 1/16
The 8/9
The 5/12
The 4/13
The 6/11
The 3/14
The 7/10
The 2/15
Yeah... all great songs... how do I choose...... :-\
You've got two days to decide. Hope it takes all 48 hours ;)
that's a bunch of good choices.
I don't really like either of the 5-12 matchup, but I can't quibble with them being on the list; I just hope the winner gets whacked next round.
I'd have picked a different Elton John tune, too. It's almost like you don't want him moving on at all...
Have to agree with Brant about Elton John. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is one of my all-time favorite albums and while some of my favorites are actually B-sides (if you don't know what a B-side is, you're too damn young), I don't know how you pass up Goodbye Yellow Brick Road or especially Bennie and the Jets. As a side note, I'm pretty sure I know the lyrics of each and every song on the album, even the very lame Roy Rogers.
On a positive note, I'm glad to see Golden Earring get some love from the popularity of the Baby Driver movie. I love Golden Earring and used to stay up on weekends to catch them on Midnight Jam (this is back before cable or the internet, kiddos). Emerson, Lake and Palmer was another frequent performer on the show. I've been listening to Golden Earring a lot this week and I'm happy to get to vote for them on this bracket.
The mid-70s was a great era in music. It was also the time when I was coming of age, and these songs were the soundtrack of my youth.
I remember driving around with my buddies, looking for beer or girls or whatever. When Freebird came on, the car would instantly get quiet.
What I don't think I articulated very well in the OP is that this is what a Bracket would look like if I chose all the songs I like. There's some great songs not in here that pander to a wider audience, the aforementioned Bennie and the Jets, We're An American Band, Piano Man, Money, and more. All songs that I would normally have put in or would have been final cuts if I didn't. And I gotta ask, what's wrong with Funeral.../Love...? That's an AWESOME song!
^MD, agree on Funeral for a Friend. Back in the bad old AOR days it was always a treat to hear the whole thing played start to finish.
Quote from: Steelgrave on July 09, 2017, 03:03:19 PM
I've been listening to Golden Earring a lot this week and I'm happy to get to vote for them on this bracket.
And they are still around celebrating their 52 years anniversary ...
http://golden-earring.nl/gigs/?lang=en
Quote from: MetalDog on July 09, 2017, 03:58:53 PMThere's some great songs not in here
Quote from: MetalDog on July 09, 2017, 03:58:53 PMBennie and the Jets
yep!Quote from: MetalDog on July 09, 2017, 03:58:53 PMWe're An American Band
yep!Quote from: MetalDog on July 09, 2017, 03:58:53 PMPiano Man
fuck no!Quote from: MetalDog on July 09, 2017, 03:58:53 PMMoney
yep!
Quote from: MetalDog on July 09, 2017, 03:58:53 PM
What I don't think I articulated very well in the OP is that this is what a Bracket would look like if I chose all the songs I like. There's some great songs not in here that pander to a wider audience, the aforementioned Bennie and the Jets, We're An American Band, Piano Man, Money, and more. All songs that I would normally have put in or would have been final cuts if I didn't. And I gotta ask, what's wrong with Funeral.../Love...? That's an AWESOME song!
It is an awesome song on an awesome album, it's simply not the first song from Yellow Brick Road most people would think of. Hell, my personal favorite on GYBR is "The Ballad of Danny Bailey". But Bennie and the Jets and Goodbye Yellow Brick Road are the signature pieces of the album. I already feel dirty agreeing with Brant, don't make it worse 8)
Hell, my faves are never going to make anyone's top-anything list. I'm partial toward "Grey Seal" and "All The Girls Love Alice".
So I can see why MD would pick ones he digs, but I would've picked a different one there
This was one of the ones he's posted that I had the least argument with ;) O0
Glad you liked it, Brant. Now, is there someplace I can have that in actual writing. You know, to prove it actually happened ;)
"...Alice," is one of my faves, too. That's really the sucky thing about doing these Brackets. I can't put in nearly as many songs as I'd like. Each year would be dozens of songs long. There'd be multiple songs off the same albums. Such as The Ocean and Over the Hills to go along with The Song Remains the Same or Money and Breathe along with Time. There'd be obscure songs like Why Don't We Get Drunk and Screw or Mama Kin. So I try to capture the feel of the year for the most people and run with that. That's why I mentioned Piano Man for inclusion. Not a song I would get near for something I was putting together for myself. I would rather Captain Jack or The Ballad Of Billy the Kid. But, who's going to be able, or want, to follow me all the way down the rabbit hole. I'm proud of the number of folks who vote in this thing. I don't want to make it difficult for anyone to follow along.
Sorry. Stream of consciousness digital diarrhea. My apologies.
Prattle on, brother Dawg. Alice is actually my second favorite cut on GYBR. It's one of those albums that I've had in every format since it came out. The end result of these brackets, Dawg, is that you're entertaining people and causing discussions to happen. I think it's one of the more fun things we've done here on Grogheads.
Thanks, Steelie. Very kind of you to say. :smitten:
I can't believe Rick Derringer isn't getting more love against one of the most over-played songs of the classic rock era.
not that I'm saying Radar Love shouldn't be on this list, but it shouldn't be a runaway winner against anything (OK, except Piano Man. Rachel Black should be a runaway winner against that one)
Excellent work throughout, MD! O0
The 7 vs 10 results surprised me, even though I voted for Stevie I thought "The Joker" was the likely winner there.
6/11 matchup is as close I guessed it would be.... crap.
Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 11, 2017, 09:02:45 AM
I can't believe Rick Derringer isn't getting more love against one of the most over-played songs of the classic rock era.
not that I'm saying Radar Love shouldn't be on this list, but it shouldn't be a runaway winner against anything (OK, except Piano Man. Rachel Black should be a runaway winner against that one)
Not a huge fan of either song anymore, but, I was surprised to see the runaway, too. What did Rick Derringer ever do to anybody?!
Quote from: BanzaiCat on July 11, 2017, 10:58:48 AM
Excellent work throughout, MD! O0
Thanks, B_C. Really appreciate that.
Quote from: Steelgrave on July 11, 2017, 12:58:39 PM
The 7 vs 10 results surprised me, even though I voted for Stevie I thought "The Joker" was the likely winner there.
Quote from: Barthheart on July 11, 2017, 02:03:14 PM
6/11 matchup is as close I guessed it would be.... crap.
My ideal voting pattern would be a tie for each one. That would mean I gauged things correctly and seeded appropriately. Having said that, it always surprises me when something I think should win not only doesn't but, it gets killed. in any event, I'm just glad you guys humor me and vote in these things. Makes it all worthwhile :bd: