GrogHeads Forum

IRL (In Real Life) => Music, TV, Movies => Topic started by: MetalDog on July 13, 2017, 09:19:52 PM

Poll
Question: 1973 Final 4
Option 1: This is the 1/4 matchup.  Please pick one. votes: 0
Option 2: 1 Free Bird - Lynyrd Skynyrd votes: 5
Option 3: 4 5:15 - The Who votes: 8
Option 4: This is the 2/6 matchup.  Please pick one. votes: 0
Option 5: 2 Time - Pink Floyd votes: 8
Option 6: 6 The Jean Genie - David Bowie votes: 5
Title: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1973 Final 4
Post by: MetalDog on July 13, 2017, 09:19:52 PM
The results of the Final 8 are supremely gratifying!  Two ties, a 7 to 5 and an 8 to 4.  With the exception of the last one, those results are exactly what I am looking for each time.  It means, to me, that I have done my job well.  Thank you all for voting!  Hope you have as tough a time in the Final 4 ;)


The 1/4





The 2/6



Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1973 Final 4
Post by: Tuna on July 13, 2017, 09:37:15 PM
Crap are you guys to young to remember Freebird getting grinded into the ground being over played by the radio stations!.. As bad as Stairway to Heaven.. Great songs, but just so sick of them, thanks to the DJs!
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1973 Final 4
Post by: MetalDog on July 13, 2017, 09:46:50 PM
Doing this, I have to balance what I like with what people know.  Zappa put out Overnite Sensation in '73,  I had Montana and Dinah Moe Humm lined up to be a part of the bracket.  With a few exceptions, everybody would have been like, "Isn't that the guy who did the song about why it hurts when he pees?"  Or, "Isn't that the guy with the kids with the funny names?"  And as much as I can no longer stand Free Bird, the reason it got played to death is because it's so great.  I would have taken Gimme Three Steps off that album, but, then someone would have said, "Where's Free Bird?!"
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1973 Final 4
Post by: OJsDad on July 14, 2017, 07:43:34 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on July 13, 2017, 09:46:50 PM
I would have taken Gimme Three Steps off that album, but, then someone Brant would have said, "Where's Free Bird?!"

FTFY.  :bd:
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1973 Final 4
Post by: bayonetbrant on July 14, 2017, 08:01:28 AM
Quote from: OJsDad on July 14, 2017, 07:43:34 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on July 13, 2017, 09:46:50 PM
I would have taken Gimme Three Steps off that album, but, then someone Brant would have said, "Where's Free Bird?!"

FTFY.  :bd:

Nah...  Simple Man and/or Tuesdays Gone, but I wouldn't have quibbled with Gimme Three Steps

I'm not a big fan of Free Bird, but I can't really argue its inclusion...
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1973 Final 4
Post by: Tuna on July 15, 2017, 09:19:06 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 14, 2017, 08:01:28 AM
Quote from: OJsDad on July 14, 2017, 07:43:34 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on July 13, 2017, 09:46:50 PM
I would have taken Gimme Three Steps off that album, but, then someone Brant would have said, "Where's Free Bird?!"

FTFY.  :bd:

Nah...  Simple Man and/or Tuesdays Gone, but I wouldn't have quibbled with Gimme Three Steps

I'm not a big fan of Free Bird, but I can't really argue its inclusion...

"What song is it you want to hear"

I actually remember the 'first' time I heard it. I don't think it was getting the airplay when the Album first came out. It got huge and the band got huge with the  live Album. Remember being a young teenager doing bad teenager things, and my friend said come over my house and check this out. I can remember him putting the needle on the album and going "Wow".. I mean seriously, the first 100 times, it was awesome.. But then the darn Stations and DJS for years after just ran it into the ground, ruined a classic. At least now the way kids listen to music, where they chose their playlists and such, they will listen to something they like and if they've heard it too much, they will stop. Then when they miss it they can come back to it. Maybe one plus here, is less "Classics" will be ruined.