GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: solops on July 20, 2017, 10:32:56 PM

Title: Victoria and Pride of Nations
Post by: solops on July 20, 2017, 10:32:56 PM
Has anyone done a comparison of Victoria (1 or 2) and Pride of Nations. I have all three games but I have only played Vicky 1, which I liked. I want to try Vicky2 or PoN after I finish my current AoW-Shadow Magic binge, but I am not sure which way to jump. Both games require substantial time investment, so I'd like a better idea of what I am getting into.
Title: Re: Victoria and Pride of Nations
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on July 21, 2017, 12:15:23 AM
Vicky 2 is much more accessible and doesn't require as much time to play as PoN but I always felt like I didn't have a lot of input as to what was happening in the game in comparison to PoN or Vicky 1.  I always felt like I was just making a few adjustments to some sliders and waiting for something to happen.

Title: Re: Victoria and Pride of Nations
Post by: JasonPratt on July 21, 2017, 05:32:28 AM
The biggest difference of course is that ProN is turn based and Vicky2 is real (or anyway continuous) pausable time. This is no small difference as turn resolution in ProN has always been, and somewhat still is, a major chug for even modern computers.

ProN remains rather more unstable than Vicky2, too. Many people don't think the AGE engine works well at this ultimate global scale. Having said that, once ProN moved to Steam, there has been occasional but steady attempts at patching it up properly, including just recently. Vick2 support is dead, I think? (But it doesn't need the support really.)
Title: Re: Victoria and Pride of Nations
Post by: Tuna on July 21, 2017, 05:45:33 AM
How do you get the 'new' patch.. I went to the post on AGEOD forum, but don't see a 'link' to the patch download (for us GamersGate owners). You could download the 'last' patch.
Title: Re: Victoria and Pride of Nations
Post by: JasonPratt on July 21, 2017, 06:15:39 AM
No idea. ProN was the first game I bought on GG, and then I went so long before buying another game that I forgot that account existed and created a new one! Years later I realized I already had ProN on the old account, and I think I managed to get it moved onto the new account, but there was no way for me to get a Steam key for it (since at the time GG was selling the Paradox edition). Eventually I bought ProN on sale at a deep discount from Steam, and I've kept that version installed since then.
Title: Re: Victoria and Pride of Nations
Post by: Tuna on July 21, 2017, 06:24:45 AM
Quote from: JasonPratt on July 21, 2017, 06:15:39 AM
No idea. ProN was the first game I bought on GG, and then I went so long before buying another game that I forgot that account existed and created a new one! Years later I realized I already had ProN on the old account, and I think I managed to get it moved onto the new account, but there was no way for me to get a Steam key for it (since at the time GG was selling the Paradox edition). Eventually I bought ProN on sale at a deep discount from Steam, and I've kept that version installed since then.

I think GG was originally Paradox's storefront. Other AGEOD games they ended up giving me a Steam key, like Ale Jacta Est (at first they said they wouldn't, but then when they didn't produce the non-steam patch, they eventually gave me one).. With the last PoN, the patch worked on the Non Steam version.
Title: Re: Victoria and Pride of Nations
Post by: Philippe on July 21, 2017, 09:41:17 AM
Quote from: Tuna on July 21, 2017, 05:45:33 AM
How do you get the 'new' patch.. I went to the post on AGEOD forum, but don't see a 'link' to the patch download (for us GamersGate owners). You could download the 'last' patch.

http://www.ageod-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=250&t=51732
Title: Re: Victoria and Pride of Nations
Post by: HoodedHorseJoe on July 21, 2017, 09:56:32 AM
I played a lot of Vicky 2, it's enjoyable but the industrialisation and pop mechanics can be a bit obtuse sometimes. I struggled with them a lot, but it didn't ruin the game for me (other than me going bankrupt a lot). From what I remember, the design though was slightly flawed fundamentally as, the moment China industrialised, they out performed everyone and ruined the in-game economy. Don't think I ever saw that happen personally though.

Pride of Nations I always found a bit clunkier, but then I find all AGE engine games a bit clunky. It's got a lot of detail to it and they sure have a great scope, but they could do a better job of explaining themselves.
Title: Re: Victoria and Pride of Nations
Post by: Greybriar on July 21, 2017, 11:40:50 AM
It has been a long time since I've played Pride of Nations or either of the Victoria games, but of the three I would choose Victoria II.
Title: Re: Victoria and Pride of Nations
Post by: Tuna on July 21, 2017, 04:20:17 PM
Quote from: Philippe on July 21, 2017, 09:41:17 AM
Quote from: Tuna on July 21, 2017, 05:45:33 AM
How do you get the 'new' patch.. I went to the post on AGEOD forum, but don't see a 'link' to the patch download (for us GamersGate owners). You could download the 'last' patch.

http://www.ageod-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=250&t=51732

Thanks!
Title: Re: Victoria and Pride of Nations
Post by: Boggit on August 08, 2017, 04:51:12 PM
Quote from: Greybriar on July 21, 2017, 11:40:50 AM
It has been a long time since I've played Pride of Nations or either of the Victoria games, but of the three I would choose Victoria II.
Gotta agree with Greybriar. Vicky 2 is the most accessible of all. I want to like PON, and am sure it will ultimately reward the effort, but I find it hard to get into. Vicky2 is easy and very intuitive.
Title: Re: Victoria and Pride of Nations
Post by: bbmike on August 08, 2017, 06:13:16 PM
I'm hoping we're getting close to a Victoria 3 announcement. (https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aarcentral.com%2Fpics%2Fplease.gif&hash=79b5fa88c4dbd5efb66763bad0d968825be8d4ef)
Title: Re: Victoria and Pride of Nations
Post by: OJsDad on August 08, 2017, 06:47:22 PM
Quote from: bbmike on August 08, 2017, 06:13:16 PM
I'm hoping we're getting close to a Victoria 3 announcement. (https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aarcentral.com%2Fpics%2Fplease.gif&hash=79b5fa88c4dbd5efb66763bad0d968825be8d4ef)

:smitten:

My only issue with Victoria, it seems to short, when compared to CKII and EUIV. 
Title: Re: Victoria and Pride of Nations
Post by: bboyer66 on August 09, 2017, 08:51:48 AM
Having played both, I remember Pride of Nations to be just a tad too over-ambitious for the Athena engine to handle (ridiculously long load times, braindead AI in a lot of instances).  Some of the smaller scenarios seemd to work well with it though.

Victoria II is a little odd.  Playing as Greece I had a good time. Playing as a bigger country not so much.  Province management just became too overwhelming with the bigger countries.  It takes a while to figure out how the economic system works because it is so complex, and is made even more difficult because it is not necessarily based on reality.