GrogHeads Forum

IRL (In Real Life) => Music, TV, Movies => Topic started by: MetalDog on August 03, 2017, 11:07:48 PM

Poll
Question: 1964 Final 4
Option 1: This the 5/8 matchup.  Please pick one. votes: 0
Option 2: 5 Dancing in the Streets - Martha & the Vandellas votes: 4
Option 3: 8 You Really Got Me - The Kinks votes: 9
Option 4: This the 2/3 matchup.  Please pick one. votes: 0
Option 5: 2 I Get Around - The Beach Boys votes: 6
Option 6: 3 Oh! Pretty Woman - Roy Orbison votes: 7
Title: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1964 Final 4
Post by: MetalDog on August 03, 2017, 11:07:48 PM
Two things I gotta say 1) these are some great songs (three of the four having been covered by Van Halen alone) and 2) Beatles hate is real.  I'm just sayin'.


The 5/8





The 2/3




Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1964 Final 4
Post by: Pete Dero on August 04, 2017, 02:38:12 AM
No hate for the Beatles, just think they are overrated.
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1964 Final 4
Post by: MetalDog on August 04, 2017, 06:02:02 AM
It's alright, Pete.  I am well aware of how it gets to be this way.  With distance comes contempt.  And songs that were massive in their day are considered trite and overplayed by todays sophisticated audience.  I fully expect it, so I am not disappointed by it.  But never doubt that it's real. ;)
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1964 Final 4
Post by: mirth on August 04, 2017, 06:08:28 AM
I like the Beatles, but 'You Really Got Me' is a much better song than 'I Want to Hold Your Hand'.
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1964 Final 4
Post by: JudgeDredd on August 04, 2017, 06:24:21 AM
I like The Beatles music. I don't think they were vocally the best and they were an annoying bunch of wee scroats - but I liked their music.
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1964 Final 4
Post by: BanzaiCat on August 04, 2017, 07:31:48 AM
I enjoy the Beatles, too, though it took me a long time to appreciate them. They were my mom's favorite band when she was growing up; she often told me stories about my grandparents saying they hated it all, but my grandmother secretly admitting to my mom later that she liked some of their songs.

When the Beatles' box set came out a few years back (I can't remember which one, and I'm sure there's plenty of them now), I got it for my mom for her birthday. She let me borrow it to rip more than a few tracks, though.
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1964 Final 4
Post by: trailrunner on August 04, 2017, 09:17:11 AM
When I was younger we would categorize people by whether they liked the Stones or the Beatles.  I was (and am) in the former category.

I was a bit too young to appreciate the Beatles when they first became popular.  By the time I was a pre-teen, they had already broken up.
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1964 Final 4
Post by: MetalDog on August 04, 2017, 07:43:52 PM
I am really kind of joking about 'Beatles hate.'  The groundbreaking and trailblazing they did is largely forgotten or ignored, I feel, nowadays.  What they mean to music is just huge.  But a lot of the early stuff is like, "I Want To Hold Your Hand."  Very pop song and teenybopper, which gets it dismissed out of hand.  The later stuff, from around 'Rubber Soul,' onward is generally recognized as noteworthy.  They didn't do themselves any favors by breaking up because their main rivals, the Stones and The Who, stayed together and made great music throughout the 70's.  Anyways, I value them highly in these Brackets because of the music and the contributions and everyone else just seems to see or hear the song and vote against it.  Hence, my 'Beatles hate,' comment.

@trailrunner: We always judged people on their Beatles/Stones/Who allegiances.  I always picked The Beatles with The Who second and the Stones last.  In the last few years, I have come to appreciate the Stones quite a bit more.
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1964 Final 4
Post by: trailrunner on August 04, 2017, 08:38:18 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on August 04, 2017, 07:43:52 PM
I am really kind of joking about 'Beatles hate.'  The groundbreaking and trailblazing they did is largely forgotten or ignored, I feel, nowadays.  What they mean to music is just huge.  But a lot of the early stuff is like, "I Want To Hold Your Hand."  Very pop song and teenybopper, which gets it dismissed out of hand.  The later stuff, from around 'Rubber Soul,' onward is generally recognized as noteworthy.  They didn't do themselves any favors by breaking up because their main rivals, the Stones and The Who, stayed together and made great music throughout the 70's.  Anyways, I value them highly in these Brackets because of the music and the contributions and everyone else just seems to see or hear the song and vote against it.  Hence, my 'Beatles hate,' comment.

@trailrunner: We always judged people on their Beatles/Stones/Who allegiances.  I always picked The Beatles with The Who second and the Stones last.  In the last few years, I have come to appreciate the Stones quite a bit more.

Yes, I agree with what you wrote about the Beatles.  The tidal wave they started is probably more important than any individual song.

We actually categorized it according to Beatles-Stones-Zeppelin.  When I was young I was more of Stones fan, but lately I've come to really appreciate Zeppelin, just as you've come to appreciate The Who more.

Good stuff.