GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: mirth on August 04, 2017, 03:07:42 AM

Title: Learning to FRIDAY
Post by: mirth on August 04, 2017, 03:07:42 AM


No tabletop gaming this weekend, so it's time to dive back into the video games I've been ignoring all summer. Lots of choices - Witcher, ME: Andromeda, Cold Waters, Order of Battle: Kriegsmarine...
Title: Re: Learning to FRIDAY
Post by: JudgeDredd on August 04, 2017, 04:15:56 AM
I have ZERO gaming this weekend. My Army reunion is here again and I will have waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much bevvy to see straight, nevermind make strategic and tactical decisions.

Have a good weekend all. I will...I won't remember, but I know I will.  >:D
Title: Re: Learning to FRIDAY
Post by: MengJiao on August 04, 2017, 04:39:08 AM
Quote from: mirth on August 04, 2017, 03:07:42 AM

No tabletop gaming this weekend, so it's time to dive back into the video games I've been ignoring all summer. Lots of choices - Witcher, ME: Andromeda, Cold Waters, Order of Battle: Kriegsmarine...

  Graviteam Tunisia, ArmaIII for me
Title: Re: Learning to FRIDAY
Post by: Barthheart on August 04, 2017, 04:42:24 AM
At 3:30 EDT today, 2 glorious weeks of vacation starts.  <:-)

Time of Crisis VASSAL PBEM game going. Interesting game. Very easy rules and mechanics. Very deep strategy game.

DC 1: Warsaw to Paris PBEM on going grudge match with Jason. Looking grim for Poland but we shal extract our pound of flesh in our righteous defence to the last man.

Rebuild my sinking front step and walk.

Work on the Miata and maybe take it to a Show and Shine.

At least 4 days at a friends cottage of beer drinking and board gaming and fishing and etc.
Title: Re: Learning to FRIDAY
Post by: mirth on August 04, 2017, 05:51:57 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 04, 2017, 04:15:56 AM
Have a good weekend all. I will...I won't remember, but I know I will.  >:D

Those are the best weekends  O0
Title: Re: Learning to FRIDAY
Post by: mirth on August 04, 2017, 05:53:10 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on August 04, 2017, 04:42:24 AM
At 3:30 EDT today, 2 glorious weeks of vacation starts.  <:-)

Time of Crisis VASSAL PBEM game going. Interesting game. Very easy rules and mechanics. Very deep strategy game.

DC 1: Warsaw to Paris PBEM on going grudge match with Jason. Looking grim for Poland but we shal extract our pound of flesh in our righteous defence to the last man.

Rebuild my sinking front step and walk.

Work on the Miata and maybe take it to a Show and Shine.

At least 4 days at a friends cottage of beer drinking and board gaming and fishing and etc.


You left out round counters on recent game purchases  ;)
Title: Re: Learning to FRIDAY
Post by: jamus34 on August 04, 2017, 06:21:55 AM
Continuing my restart of my HoI4 game.
Nier Automata and Skyrim when I need my rpg fix

Beyond that not around much this weekend, bunch of us are going out to celebrate a mutual friends 40th
Title: Re: Learning to FRIDAY
Post by: Jarhead0331 on August 04, 2017, 06:42:20 AM
Probably going to be playing mostly VR titles this weekend. Picked up a few interesting titles this week that I haven't even had the chance to try. Maybe I'll play some Stellaris or Polaris Sector too. All this space 4x talk has my sci-Fi strategy juices flowing.
Title: Re: Learning to FRIDAY
Post by: BanzaiCat on August 04, 2017, 07:14:53 AM
I am free this weekend...woot! Got a lot of games to play through and write about...
Title: Re: Learning to FRIDAY
Post by: JasonPratt on August 04, 2017, 08:04:13 AM
May get to hang out with Bro and Niecemus Prime tomorrow, but not sure for how long. Naturally will cut into gaming time, although that depends on what we do!  <:-)

Otherwise:

0.) Keep an eye out for information on our now-approaching-year-long forum game of Napoleon's Weimar/Jena. The main (if not yet actually decisive) engagement should be starting on this game day.

1.) Keep up with the GROGS OF CRISIS game with Barth, AzTank, and DM. (http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=20156.0) (I've got the next move, asap this afternoon, ending Turn 3.)

2.) Keep up with the Alea Jacta Est 3-player mp with W8 and Tuna (http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=19982.0). (I don't really need a lot of time to play these turns, just got to remember when the file has been sent to me.) Just finished turn 6 with, nominally, 66 to go.

3.) Finally get back to the grim DC:Blitz slugfest with Barth (http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=19129.0), and get Turn 8 done. (Ideally produced and uploaded, too, but that isn't likely until early next week.) Barth is still, in my estimation, more likely to win outright, but I'm making inroads at last. Will they be enough? ...um, probably not?  L:-)

4.) Still working on unlocking the monsters (and then city maps) for Godzilla: Save the Earth on my PC version. Next up, I think it's time for me to campaign as KING GHIDORA!  :D

5.) Been doing some multiplayer again in Dawn of War: Soulstorm, this time along with W8aminute, who has in turn been guiding me through early levels of Heroes and Generals.

...wait, didn't W8 and Tuna and I have a mission of Warfighter we were working on??
Title: Re: Learning to FRIDAY
Post by: Gusington on August 04, 2017, 08:08:50 AM
Hey I have my Army reunion this weekend too JD - except I'll be living in the barracks as the State Guard attempts to teach me how to be a SGT. Right before that, tomorrow night, I am taking The Wife to see Santana. So it will be a weekend of...different cultures 😎

I am about halfway through Dishonored 2 and even though it took a while for me to get in to it, I am digging it now. When I get back home next week it will be the first game I go to for some R&R.
Title: Re: Learning to FRIDAY
Post by: Rayfer on August 04, 2017, 10:24:28 AM
Good song choice mirth... :peace:   Couldn't resist the updated Sword and Sorcery release on Steam for $14.99....old school RPG romp.
Title: Re: Learning to FRIDAY
Post by: acctingman on August 04, 2017, 10:57:04 AM
Tonight.....finishing my base coat on my Tamiya Stug IV with a peppering of WoT
Saturday.....5 hour hike with the wife and after my mid day nap, more WoT, some Conflict of Heroes (hopefully)
Sunday.....couples massage (with the wifey) celebrating our 1 yr anniversary and if she's kind to me I'll finish off my Stug IV and maybe a game or 12 of WoT
Title: Re: Learning to FRIDAY
Post by: mirth on August 04, 2017, 11:00:35 AM
Quote from: acctingman on August 04, 2017, 10:57:04 AMSunday.....couples massage (with the wifey) celebrating our 1 yr anniversary and if she's kind to me I'll finish off

Good luck, my friend  O0
Title: Re: Learning to FRIDAY
Post by: acctingman on August 04, 2017, 11:01:47 AM
Quote from: mirth on August 04, 2017, 11:00:35 AM
Quote from: acctingman on August 04, 2017, 10:57:04 AMSunday.....couples massage (with the wifey) celebrating our 1 yr anniversary and if she's kind to me I'll finish off

Good luck, my friend  O0

:DD

Title: Re: Learning to FRIDAY
Post by: Sir Slash on August 04, 2017, 01:32:13 PM
Happy Anniversary acctingman. Do what I do if you screw-up your anniversary day, tell her forgiving you is cheaper than divorcing you. And.... it doesn't always work--- just so you know.

Quiet day today so it'll be DC: Case Blue followed my mass confusion the rest of the weekend so.... there's today. Have a good one Grogs.  <:-)
Title: Re: Learning to FRIDAY
Post by: acctingman on August 04, 2017, 01:38:10 PM
Thanks Mr. Slash!  :notworthy:
Title: Re: Learning to FRIDAY
Post by: CJReich46 on August 04, 2017, 07:31:28 PM
Well for me, I have the "joy" of working in retail  :uglystupid2:  :buck2: so I get to work this weekend (just a simple 8-1) I like it because A) I get to sleep in a bit, get coffee and go to work. It's BTS (Back To School) so the insanity is in full swing for us but it's just a few weeks and we're nearing the end.

Gaming wise I don't know, I have been playing Polaris Sector more lately.

Stellaris is possible I might get Utopia because of the upcoming  Synthetic Dawn - the idea of machine empires intrigues me.




Title: Re: Learning to FRIDAY
Post by: Kushan on August 04, 2017, 08:06:53 PM
With three quarters of British Columbia on fire, air quality here in WA is at "don't go outside unless you really have to levels". Needless to say I'll be staying in. I plan on seeing how well the new PC handles Elite and Prepar3D. Should be ok since most of the specs are the same as my old one, but the video card is a huge upgrade over the old one. CMANO and Cities: Skylines are probable as well.
Title: Re: Learning to FRIDAY
Post by: acctingman on August 04, 2017, 09:19:04 PM
Quote from: Kushan on August 04, 2017, 08:06:53 PM
With three quarters of British Columbia on fire, air quality here in WA is at "don't go outside unless you really have to levels". Needless to say I'll be staying in. I plan on seeing how well the new PC handles Elite and Prepar3D. Should be ok since most of the specs are the same as my old one, but the video card is a huge upgrade over the old one. CMANO and Cities: Skylines are probable as well.

Hey Kushan....fellow Seattlite here. I feel I need to wear a mask when I go outside! At least it's kept the temps down some.
Title: Re: Learning to FRIDAY
Post by: Kushan on August 04, 2017, 09:29:33 PM
Quote from: acctingman on August 04, 2017, 09:19:04 PM
Quote from: Kushan on August 04, 2017, 08:06:53 PM
With three quarters of British Columbia on fire, air quality here in WA is at "don't go outside unless you really have to levels". Needless to say I'll be staying in. I plan on seeing how well the new PC handles Elite and Prepar3D. Should be ok since most of the specs are the same as my old one, but the video card is a huge upgrade over the old one. CMANO and Cities: Skylines are probable as well.

Hey Kushan....fellow Seattlite here. I feel I need to wear a mask when I go outside! At least it's kept the temps down some.

True, low 90s is better then the 100+ that was originally forecasted.
Title: Re: Learning to FRIDAY
Post by: MetalDog on August 04, 2017, 10:12:36 PM
GO SEAHAWKS!!
Title: Re: Learning to FRIDAY
Post by: Kushan on August 04, 2017, 10:13:29 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on August 04, 2017, 10:12:36 PM
GO SEAHAWKS!!

We can't be friends anymore.
Title: Re: Learning to FRIDAY
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on August 04, 2017, 10:18:05 PM
Vancouver looks more like Beijing at the moment.  Can't see more than half a klick due to the haze.  It's a long weekend here so the city usually empties out a bit.   Can't go up past Whistler or east into the interior because of all the fires and evacuations so the border and the ferry terminals are parking lots. 

Guess I'll stay at home, drink, and paint some minis!
Title: Re: Learning to FRIDAY
Post by: acctingman on August 04, 2017, 10:23:53 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on August 04, 2017, 10:12:36 PM
GO SEAHAWKS!!

HELL YES!!!  :bd:
Title: Re: Learning to FRIDAY
Post by: acctingman on August 04, 2017, 10:26:34 PM
Quote from: Kushan on August 04, 2017, 10:13:29 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on August 04, 2017, 10:12:36 PM
GO SEAHAWKS!!

We can't be friends anymore.

Please tell me you're not a Rams or 49'ners fan???  :idiot2: :knuppel2:
Title: Re: Learning to FRIDAY
Post by: MetalDog on August 04, 2017, 11:02:38 PM
Quote from: acctingman on August 04, 2017, 10:26:34 PM
Quote from: Kushan on August 04, 2017, 10:13:29 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on August 04, 2017, 10:12:36 PM
GO SEAHAWKS!!

We can't be friends anymore.

Please tell me you're not a Rams or 49'ners fan???  :idiot2: :knuppel2:


Nah.  He's a Packers fan.  I was just trying to get a rise out of him.  I hate the Seahawks almost as much as he does.
Title: Re: Learning to FRIDAY
Post by: acctingman on August 04, 2017, 11:55:31 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on August 04, 2017, 11:02:38 PM
Quote from: acctingman on August 04, 2017, 10:26:34 PM
Quote from: Kushan on August 04, 2017, 10:13:29 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on August 04, 2017, 10:12:36 PM
GO SEAHAWKS!!

We can't be friends anymore.

Please tell me you're not a Rams or 49'ners fan???  :idiot2: :knuppel2:


Nah.  He's a Packers fan.  I was just trying to get a rise out of him.  I hate the Seahawks almost as much as he does.

HATERS!!!!!!!  :knuppel2: :tickedoff:
Title: Re: Learning to FRIDAY
Post by: Martok on August 04, 2017, 11:59:19 PM
It's busy at the hotel, so the supervisor (me) gets to work the whole weekend (just finished my shift about 45 minutes ago).  :-\


Time allowing, I'll be playing Stellaris and possibly Medieval Total War/Viking Invasion (XL Mod - Byzantine Empire). 
Title: Re: Learning to FRIDAY
Post by: MetalDog on August 05, 2017, 12:19:54 AM
Quote from: acctingman on August 04, 2017, 11:55:31 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on August 04, 2017, 11:02:38 PM
Quote from: acctingman on August 04, 2017, 10:26:34 PM
Quote from: Kushan on August 04, 2017, 10:13:29 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on August 04, 2017, 10:12:36 PM
GO SEAHAWKS!!

We can't be friends anymore.

Please tell me you're not a Rams or 49'ners fan???  :idiot2: :knuppel2:


Nah.  He's a Packers fan.  I was just trying to get a rise out of him.  I hate the Seahawks almost as much as he does.

HATERS!!!!!!!  :knuppel2: :tickedoff:


Quit employing Pete Carroll and I will relent (a smidge).
Title: Re: Learning to FRIDAY
Post by: Kushan on August 05, 2017, 12:55:22 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on August 05, 2017, 12:19:54 AM
Quote from: acctingman on August 04, 2017, 11:55:31 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on August 04, 2017, 11:02:38 PM
Quote from: acctingman on August 04, 2017, 10:26:34 PM
Quote from: Kushan on August 04, 2017, 10:13:29 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on August 04, 2017, 10:12:36 PM
GO SEAHAWKS!!

We can't be friends anymore.

Please tell me you're not a Rams or 49'ners fan???  :idiot2: :knuppel2:


Nah.  He's a Packers fan.  I was just trying to get a rise out of him.  I hate the Seahawks almost as much as he does.

HATERS!!!!!!!  :knuppel2: :tickedoff:


Quit employing Pete Carroll and I will relent (a smidge).

I won't. Don't care who coaches or plays for them, I'll always hate the hawks.  :)
Title: Re: Learning to FRIDAY
Post by: Blucher on August 05, 2017, 04:37:01 AM
This weekend I will be playing some JTS Campaign Leipzig PBEM, Conquest of the New World, and I just started playing Arcanum for the first time. Rolled up a
Elf mage who sold his soul to a demon for increased magical power what could go wrong?
Title: Re: Learning to FRIDAY
Post by: BanzaiCat on August 05, 2017, 10:53:34 AM
I think I'm going to stop working so hard and play a few rounds of Patton's Best to see how well it flows and if it can be translated well enough into a PBF game here.
Title: Re: Learning to FRIDAY
Post by: Arctic Blast on August 05, 2017, 09:04:04 PM
Sniper Elite 4 on the PC. Venom Assault, Liberty or Death, Mechs vs. Minions and Time of Crisis on the table.
Title: Re: Learning to FRIDAY
Post by: JasonPratt on August 06, 2017, 05:33:43 PM
Quote from: BanzaiCat on August 05, 2017, 10:53:34 AM
I think I'm going to stop working so hard and play a few rounds of Patton's Best to see how well it flows and if it can be translated well enough into a PBF game here.

Keep us updated on that!

Speaking of PBF games, our GROGS OF CRISIS campaign is going along nicely.

Also, I finally got Turn 8 of my DC:Blitz game with Barth sent back to him. I'll need a few more days for the AAR video.
Title: Re: Learning to FRIDAY
Post by: BanzaiCat on August 06, 2017, 08:08:21 PM
I played not quite a full day of Patton's Best...I need to read through the rules again. Pretty sure I was screwing some things up.

I did get to play some Firefly: The Game. Great stuff.  :smitten:
Title: Re: Learning to FRIDAY
Post by: Jarhead0331 on August 07, 2017, 08:49:46 AM
So miffed. All I wanted to do this weekend was play VR games, but I did something evil to my neck and I've been in excruciating pain. I did manage to fly around in VTOL VR for about an hour (fantastic game) but it was hard to enjoy with the restrictions I had in not being able to move my stupid head around. Ugh...
Title: Re: Learning to FRIDAY
Post by: Martok on August 07, 2017, 10:32:40 AM
I did manage to get in some time with Stellaris this past weekend.  Ended up starting a new game when I realized just how hamstrung one can be if you take the "Pacifist" ethic.  That one really needs to be re-balanced. 




Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 07, 2017, 08:49:46 AM
So miffed. All I wanted to do this weekend was play VR games, but I did something evil to my neck and I've been in excruciating pain. I did manage to fly around in VTOL VR for about an hour (fantastic game) but it was hard to enjoy with the restrictions I had in not being able to move my stupid head around. Ugh...
Sorry to hear that, Jarhead.  You going to see the doc today? 
Title: Re: Learning to FRIDAY
Post by: Rayfer on August 07, 2017, 11:05:30 AM
Quote from: Martok on August 07, 2017, 10:32:40 AM
I did manage to get in some time with Stellaris this past weekend.  Ended up starting a new game when I realized just how hamstrung one can be if you take the "Pacifist" ethic.  That one really needs to be re-balanced. 


Hard to be a pacifist when on of the X's in 4X games is eXterminate.   ;)
Title: Re: Learning to FRIDAY
Post by: Jarhead0331 on August 07, 2017, 11:08:59 AM
Quote from: Martok on August 07, 2017, 10:32:40 AM

Sorry to hear that, Jarhead.  You going to see the doc today?

Nah. I'll continue to procrastinate and suffer. With a wife who is an anesthesiologist, you'd think I'd have access to some of the world's most powerful pain meds. I'm starting to think she enjoys watching me squirm.
Title: Re: Learning to FRIDAY
Post by: acctingman on August 07, 2017, 11:35:40 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 07, 2017, 11:08:59 AM
Quote from: Martok on August 07, 2017, 10:32:40 AM

Sorry to hear that, Jarhead.  You going to see the doc today?

Nah. I'll continue to procrastinate and suffer. With a wife who is an anesthesiologist, you'd think I'd have access to some of the world's most powerful pain meds. I'm starting to think she enjoys watching me squirm.

One year into the blissful world of "marrigedom", I can say without a reasonable doubt that a more truer statement has never been made on the internet!  O0
Title: Re: Learning to FRIDAY
Post by: jamus34 on August 07, 2017, 11:56:03 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 07, 2017, 11:08:59 AM
Quote from: Martok on August 07, 2017, 10:32:40 AM

Sorry to hear that, Jarhead.  You going to see the doc today?

Nah. I'll continue to procrastinate and suffer. With a wife who is an anesthesiologist, you'd think I'd have access to some of the world's most powerful pain meds. I'm starting to think she enjoys watching me squirm.

Well that explains the endless gaming budget
Title: Re: Learning to FRIDAY
Post by: Jarhead0331 on August 07, 2017, 12:30:19 PM
Quote from: jamus34 on August 07, 2017, 11:56:03 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 07, 2017, 11:08:59 AM
Quote from: Martok on August 07, 2017, 10:32:40 AM

Sorry to hear that, Jarhead.  You going to see the doc today?

Nah. I'll continue to procrastinate and suffer. With a wife who is an anesthesiologist, you'd think I'd have access to some of the world's most powerful pain meds. I'm starting to think she enjoys watching me squirm.

Well that explains the endless gaming budget

Haha! The lawyer/doctor combination is deadly for most recreational pursuits.
Title: Re: Learning to FRIDAY
Post by: Sir Slash on August 07, 2017, 12:36:11 PM
The greatest stress on a new marriage is lack of finances. Here's how to avoid that.

The first year you're married, every time you have sex, you put a quarter in a jar. After the first year, every time you have sex, take a quarter out of the jar. You'll NEVER run out of quarters. Problem solved.
Title: Re: Learning to FRIDAY
Post by: Martok on August 07, 2017, 03:26:56 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on August 07, 2017, 11:05:30 AM
Quote from: Martok on August 07, 2017, 10:32:40 AM
I did manage to get in some time with Stellaris this past weekend.  Ended up starting a new game when I realized just how hamstrung one can be if you take the "Pacifist" ethic.  That one really needs to be re-balanced. 


Hard to be a pacifist when on of the X's in 4X games is eXterminate.   ;)
Smartass.  :P 


My biggest problem with the Pacifist ethic in Stellaris is that you can't simply declare war on someone. 

Instead, you're limited to defensive wars and "liberation wars" -- which would be obviously appropriate for a pacifistic nation, except that then you can't do much about that neighboring empire who's been really pissing you off for the last decade or two.  You can try and provoke someone into attacking you (thus triggering a defensive war), or you can start a liberation war against them if they've conquered planets belonging to a friend/ally, sure.  But unless/until *they* declare war on *you*, Pacifist nations otherwise have few options for dealing with troublesome neighbors. 




Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 07, 2017, 11:08:59 AM
Quote from: Martok on August 07, 2017, 10:32:40 AM

Sorry to hear that, Jarhead.  You going to see the doc today?

Nah. I'll continue to procrastinate and suffer. With a wife who is an anesthesiologist, you'd think I'd have access to some of the world's most powerful pain meds. I'm starting to think she enjoys watching me squirm.
I thought that was true of most women?  O:-) 
Title: Re: Learning to FRIDAY
Post by: airboy on August 08, 2017, 05:53:32 PM
I bought Kriegsmarine last weekend and finished the campaign - twice.   Only 8 scenarios or so - don't be too impressed.  Odd game.  Some real positives and minuses.
Title: Re: Learning to FRIDAY
Post by: mirth on August 08, 2017, 05:56:12 PM
Quote from: airboy on August 08, 2017, 05:53:32 PM
I bought Kriegsmarine last weekend and finished the campaign - twice.   Only 8 scenarios or so - don't be too impressed.  Odd game.  Some real positives and minuses.

I used a discount code on it. Think it cost me 6.99. Figure I'll get that out of it.
Title: Re: Learning to FRIDAY
Post by: BanzaiCat on August 09, 2017, 07:19:02 AM
nevermind, oops
Title: Re: Learning to FRIDAY
Post by: Gusington on August 09, 2017, 01:20:00 PM
I can't wait for this Friday...
Title: Re: Learning to FRIDAY
Post by: Martok on August 10, 2017, 12:01:29 PM
Quote from: Gusington on August 09, 2017, 01:20:00 PM
I can't wait for this Friday...
You and me both, pal. 

Title: Re: Learning to FRIDAY
Post by: Sir Slash on August 10, 2017, 01:41:32 PM
Me too. My Viagra should get here.  O0
Title: Re: Learning to FRIDAY
Post by: mirth on August 10, 2017, 01:51:11 PM
Just in time for the weekend!
Title: Re: Learning to FRIDAY
Post by: Gusington on August 10, 2017, 02:36:05 PM
I definitely won't need Viagara this weekend. The update for Warhammer TW has moistened my loins sufficiently - I hope to start playing very soon.