.. was just released.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/650670/Grimoire__Heralds_of_the_Winged_Exemplar/
Which of you lab rats are gonna be the first to test it out?
(as I suspected.. $40 price point. 10% off though)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.akamai.steamstatic.com%2Fsteam%2Fapps%2F650670%2Fss_315ed3f6453e826f560242d56730719a3f0661ba.600x338.jpg%3Ft%3D1501844455&hash=ca87ea8ad076172693631396370526af2d6ae496)
That looks like Eye of the Beholder, or Wizardry 6/7, or any number of other old-school RPGs...
Man, I hated Wizardry...the character creation process was such a pain in the hindquarters...
Saw this earlier. Feels like the subtitle contains one word too many. A bit of a mouthful as-is.
I tried it. Refunded it immediately after.
There is no manual. No tutorial either. Tooltips are only namelabels without explanation either.
For a game that has been in development for 20 years aparently and a company that has a punchline "Golden Era Games, like you remember, only better!" I expect a complete package with a nice thick manual OR modern GUI conventions being implemented to alleviate te problem of an absent manual.
After fiddling with buttons on screen and random keypresses on my keyboard trying to get the greyed out 'Battle' button to become active at a monster encounter, it dawned on me that I am too old to too attached to my free time and I will not spend this time wasting it like this.
Might rebuy if reviews are glowing.
Love the look but $36 is a lot for a 'shot-in-the-dark' chance at a good game. Sitting on my wallet for now.
I'm curious if the devs know what an "exemplar" is...
"Hey this word sounds cool! Let's use it!"
Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 04, 2017, 09:18:31 AM
"Hey this word sounds cool! Let's use it!"
That's how used to name places for my D&D maps.
$35 (regular $40) is steep for an old-school RPG in the ilk of the old Wizardry, Might and Magic and Sword and Sorcerers series. But then again, maybe there is more to it than meets the eye?
Watched some of it streamed.
VERY Wizardry 7 style. But easier to use.
If you're not familiar with Wiz7, you probably want to wait & read the game manual when it comes out (next week supposedly). Otherwise you won't know what a lot of the commands do, how to find secret doors, etc etc.
Think I can figure out a lot of stuff on my own, having somewhat recently played the oldies this took inspiration from & watching it being played. I did enjoy playing Wiz7 again, a couple years ago, but the old DOS interface was a pain. This is still an improvement over that mess. Would still be trial and error right now.
Quote from: Yskonyn on August 04, 2017, 08:52:49 AM
I expect a complete package with a nice thick manual OR modern GUI conventions being implemented to alleviate te problem of an absent manual.
Google the game, this isn't some retro game made recently. The game doesn't have modern conventions because its a game from 1994 that just happened to take 23 years to complete. It has had 'ready for release' announcements made in 1997, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 (probably some more years I'm not aware of too.)
But if the game is 1% as entertaining as the saga surrounding its development has been, it will be a masterpiece.
I think that 20 years enough time to create decent ui, tooltips and manual. 40$ for unfinished game is too much. I can live with poor old-school graphics, but old-school interface is just bad interface. It took me few minutes to figure out how to start battle. And when I saw how slow it is I just get rid of that game.
It is sad because I think there is a interesting game buried under clunky ui. I just get tired by interface and lack information before I could enjoy the game. When I buy a new game in 2017 I except some modern gui conventions, no matter how old-school that game is trying to be.
Saw this on the Steam forum: Im a little disapointed[sic] about the lack of support for VR but... :crazy2: Really!!?
Add another 25 years for that option!
Quote from: salazarus on August 04, 2017, 03:49:33 PM
I think that 20 years enough time to create decent ui, tooltips and manual. 40$ for unfinished game is too much. I can live with poor old-school graphics, but old-school interface is just bad interface. It took me few minutes to figure out how to start battle. And when I saw how slow it is I just get rid of that game.
It is sad because I think there is a interesting game buried under clunky ui. I just get tired by interface and lack information before I could enjoy the game. When I buy a new game in 2017 I except some modern gui conventions, no matter how old-school that game is trying to be.
Is a way to speed up combat, by skipping the messages faster (hold Return or Space I was told - may also be an option in settings).
edit
Quote from: Nefaro on August 04, 2017, 07:05:22 PM
Is a way to speed up combat, by skipping the messages faster (hold Return or Space I was told - may also be an option in settings).
There is no option in settings menu. I also couldn't start game second time. I've got black screen and crappy music.
Behold Saps the moment of Incline has arrived. The Cracker Jack programmer Cleveland Mark Blakemore has finally released his 20+ year masterwork. Perhaps your lack of understanding how the game works is due to your lack of Neanderthal DNA* . Yeah I figure that now that more eyes are on this many bugs will be found. Allegedly Cleve had a few guys testing this for many years but I am not sure what is fact and fiction. Also there are rumors that this game is based on the original
Wizardry 8 Stones of Arnhem code. Cleve worked as a contractor for Sir Tech for some time. The entire Grimoire saga over various message boards and forums with
Cleves bizarre ramblings are as interesting as this relic of a game itself. Also here is Cleve's blog for those interested - http://vault-co.blogspot.com
*Please note that Cleve claims to have Neanderthal DNA that make him superior to the rest of us "Saps" (Homo-Sapiens).
Never heard of the guy before, but its not hard to find eyebrow raising material about him, his views or his game at all.
His postings on the game's Steam Community Hub are full of self-promotion and over the top comments. Not sure if these are meant as being humoristic?
The statements about how his game is the second coming of gaming is pretty awkward if its not meant ironically.
But anyhow makes me having doubts about the quality of the game and it advertised bullit points (600+ hours of gameplay, really now).
Still, the love for the genre shines from its graphics and they are very nicely done pixelart.
It remains on my radar for now. Very curious about the size of the manual that should be released next week.
Tips & Info thread:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/grimoire-gameplay-and-hints-thread.117575/
Quote from: Yskonyn on August 05, 2017, 10:04:20 AM
Never heard of the guy before, but its not hard to find eyebrow raising material about him, his views or his game at all.
His postings on the game's Steam Community Hub are full of self-promotion and over the top comments. Not sure if these are meant as being humoristic?
The statements about how his game is the second coming of gaming is pretty awkward if its not meant ironically.
But anyhow makes me having doubts about the quality of the game and it advertised bullit points (600+ hours of gameplay, really now).
Still, the love for the genre shines from its graphics and they are very nicely done pixelart.
It remains on my radar for now. Very curious about the size of the manual that should be released next week.
Can anyone say Derek Smart ?
A review of the game over on Rock/Paper/Shotgun. Only way I would get this one would be during 90% off holiday Steam sale. https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/08/09/grimoire-the-rpg-20-years-in-the-making-is-a-crazily-tough-nut-to-crack/#more-467847
The screenshots of Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar remind me very much of the early 90s games I once played. But I remember all too well those old games which, despite being very good, were not very user-friendly with their clumsy interfaces twenty-some odd years ago. If I wanted to reminisce I'd buy something like Westwood Studios' Lands of Lore: Throne of Chaos (http://www.mobygames.com/game/lands-of-lore-the-throne-of-chaos) or one of the numerous other great games from back in the days when DOS was king.
But this is 2017 and not 1993. So, like Rayfer, I think I'll wait until it's 90% off before I buy it...if I buy it at all.
I think Wizardry VII with its clunky interface is another game to play if you were feeling like reminiscing