GamersGate has this game on sale for $10.18 today. Good price but is the game any good, especially the naval war aspect?
I wanted to get it, to see how the naval aspect improved over their original game (in which it was bad). But it's probably easy-to-use, yet has a massive scale like the whole series. Pretty basic on the wargame mechanics, though.
I'd much enjoy trying the Pacific one (yes - even being a WW2 game!), but money's too tight for even a $10 game right now - or I'd tell you. ;)
I just don't like the one unit per hex/square rule and land battle tends to feel like WWI (static fronts, slow progress).
$10 is a good price for a few hours or entertainment. Lol!
So they need to make a WWI game with it then? Excellent! ;D
Just checking in on this game again. I saw this was on sale for $5.99 at Gamersgate.
I'd like some fun strategic Pacific naval warfare. How is the naval combat?
Each ship unit is a group composed of a capital ship and an assumed of 3 to 4 escorts / destroyers. Combat groups types range from BB (Combat), CV (Carrier), CA (Patrol). This grouping is quite similar to Pacific War. You also have Submarine groups (4 subs), Transport groups, and Amphibious groups. You can combine groups into Fleets.
The sea is divided into areas. So fleets move into areas and friendly port hexes. Like War in the Pacific, ports have a size rating. Port Size determines the type of ships that can dock. Since the game has economics and unit building, it also determines where the different types of groups can "spawn" from.
Each Fleet can be assigned a Formation of Regular or Raider. In Regular, the fleet acts as a single formation with the purpose of engaging enemy regular fleets and raiders. When there is an encounter, a sea battle occurs. They are able to attack convoys and can deal more damage but the chance of encountering a convoy is less than radiers. On the other hand, Raider groups are imagined to be operationally fragmented and spread accross the sea zone. They will not initiate an engagement against regular fleets and focus solely on hunting convoys. Convoy detection is improved but combat ability is diminished especially when engaged by regular fleets.
Regular fleet can be set to actively Engage enemies or Evade. This affects the change of a battle in a sea zone. Both Engage means high chance of battle. One Engage and one Evade means less chance of battle. And both Evade means no battle. This system is familiar to those who play AGEOD games.
Convoys are an abstract way to send supplies and resources (Production Points) across ports. There are no physical ships in the map. This is similar to Pacific War.
Unlike War in the Pacific, sea battle is playable to some degree where you can give move, attack, and withdraw commands to your ship groups in tactical map. Not too realistic with regards to execution but probably the results are quite plausible. Carrier Air Strikes are directed in the strategic map.
I wasn't overly impressed with the naval combat aspect of the game.
Steve58 just posted in the Grog Sales Thread that this game is one buck over at GamersGate:
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-SOTP/storm-over-the-pacific
And even then, I'm thinking it's overpriced (especially considering my bank charges me a $2 fee for everything I buy from there). The reviews are not pleasant and honestly I'd much prefer a Pacific WW2 game with a strong and enjoyable naval component.
Matrix is selling it for $29.99 (pfft, of course they are) and the 'regular' price on GG is 19.99. No way in Hell for either of those two prices, thanks. For three bucks, though...?
Anyone else buy this since this thread died more than a year ago? ;)
I played it when it first came out, wasn't something that kept my attention long enough to keep me going. It certainly might be worth $1 to somebody, especially if they want to try it out...hardly could go wrong with that:)
Its probably worth it for $1 *shrug*. Gotta admit it did not hold my attention for too long and I bought in at well over $1. I am kinda curious why your bank hits you with a $2 charge when you buy from GG. Is it because GG is international? My bank/CU doesn't sock me with any charges, though I do get the occasional security call if I go on a game buying splurge....
Yeah, they charge me a $2 fee for 'international' purchases.
Really, even $3 isn't that big a deal. Only thing is if I'm only going to play it a few minutes and go "meh" then there's no point in making the effort. I'm still thinking about it.
If you have any laying around, it is only 1,000 blue coins :)
The potential for the game was so great. A WW2 Pacific game in cooperating both land and naval operations at a non-WitP brain crushing level of detail. However, the naval aspect just never came together IMO. Unfortunate honestly, because I really, really wanted to like the game more than the naval aspect allowed me too.
Quote from: challerain on February 06, 2014, 12:37:40 AM
If you have any laying around, it is only 1,000 blue coins :)
LOL. I have 987 blue coins. :-[
Quote from: Bison
The potential for the game was so great. A WW2 Pacific game in cooperating both land and naval operations at a non-WitP brain crushing level of detail. However, the naval aspect just never came together IMO. Unfortunate honestly, because I really, really wanted to like the game more than the naval aspect allowed me too.
And that's pretty much it in a nutshell: great potential, looks good, but navy fighting sucks and ground maneuvering is a chore (one unit per hex sounds simplistic, but I don't know the scale of the units).
I bought it, started it ....barely.. ain't seen it since. A dollar is even too much if your not going to play it, as you know there are always better games in your backlog to spend time with ::) ..... I'm learning to be more selective even when there real cheap, I've had more than a few "what the hell it's only [insert small amount here] " moments and bought games that will not ever be installed.....hopefully lesson learned.
Quote from: Bison on February 06, 2014, 01:23:36 AM
The potential for the game was so great. A WW2 Pacific game in cooperating both land and naval operations at a non-WitP brain crushing level of detail. However, the naval aspect just never came together IMO. Unfortunate honestly, because I really, really wanted to like the game more than the naval aspect allowed me too.
I agree completely, but when all is said and done, I had some fun with the game. I was able to play out the Pacific theater of WW2 without the immense complexity of games like War in the Pacific. Yes, the naval aspect was lacking but it's easy to learn and get into and for $1.00 even if you only get a few days of fun out of it, well, it was worth it.
Luckily I bought it with Blue Coins so I didn't lose anything.
It runs ok unpatched. Patch it to 1.14 and it cashes on start.
Caveat Emptor.
EDIT:
Does anyone have The Gamers Gate 1.11 patch? (not the Matrix Version) The link is down and it appears there is nowhere else online hosting it.
I think the crash may be something to do with the 1.14 patch being screwed up and apparently it only has some minor updates (a launcher and Polish updates).
Quote from: IanC on February 06, 2014, 09:10:50 AM
Luckily I bought it with Blue Coins so I didn't lose anything.
It runs ok unpatched. Patch it to 1.14 and it cashes on start.
Caveat Emptor.
EDIT:
Does anyone have The Gamers Gate 1.11 patch? (not the Matrix Version) The link is down and it appears there is nowhere else online hosting it.
I think the crash may be something to do with the 1.14 patch being screwed up and apparently it only has some minor updates (a launcher and Polish updates).
I have the Gamersgate 1.11 game on my drive. That was the version I downloaded so I don't have the patch. If you only need a single file, maybe I can find a way to send it to you. The main executable is a little over 2 meg and there are some other files that may have changed with 1.11 (have dates in 2012).
Quote from: bobarossa on February 06, 2014, 10:32:23 AM
I have the Gamersgate 1.11 game on my drive. That was the version I downloaded so I don't have the patch.
Well the Gamers Gate version vanilla download in now only version 1.0. That sucks. Thanks for the offer. I'll see if I can get the patch somehow before I start copying files over. Thanks anyhow!
Well after reading all of the comments here I'm going to stay away, even at the one dollar price tag. I've got way too much backlog anyway and don't want to lose time on a game that just isn't captivating enough. I did buy Time of Fury way back when and played it for about 2 or 3 hours before never visiting it again. Shame really but..eh.
I probably should have stayed away too, but I'm too much of a game hoarder to avoid deals like that. 8)
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on February 07, 2014, 08:44:13 AM
I probably should have stayed away too, but I'm too much of a game hoarder to avoid deals like that. 8)
Personally I refer to it as being too much of a bargain hunter to refrain from deals like that. ;)
Back on topic, I purchased Storm Over The Pacific sometime back and I am ashamed to say that I paid more than $1 for it. I haven't even played it yet!
I guess it's worth $1, but as to the $29.99 tag it has on Matrix Games' site...HA, no.