GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: MetalDog on August 18, 2017, 06:03:40 AM

Title: Run for your FRIDAY with me
Post by: MetalDog on August 18, 2017, 06:03:40 AM



This weekend is pencil and paper D&D, lawn mowing and Civ IV mp in that order.  Ok.  Probably not in that order.  But some semblance of that ;)
Title: Re: Run for your FRIDAY with me
Post by: JudgeDredd on August 18, 2017, 07:36:53 AM
Good tune  O0

I'll be playing out another game of Star Wars:Rebellion with my daughter. I'll also be continuing my career as a DTM Driver in RaceRoomExperience and continuing my career as a bad manager in charge of the Seattle Mariners in OOTP 18

Enjoy your weekend people.
Title: Re: Run for your FRIDAY with me
Post by: Gusington on August 18, 2017, 07:59:20 AM
Almost through Dishonored 2 - it's not a bad game but it doesn't grab me the same way the original did.
Title: Re: Run for your FRIDAY with me
Post by: MengJiao on August 18, 2017, 08:11:54 AM
Quote from: Gusington on August 18, 2017, 07:59:20 AM
Almost through Dishonored 2 - it's not a bad game but it doesn't grab me the same way the original did.

ARMA III, Attila (with a mod that focuses on Attila's last few campaigns and uses the Charlemagne map at 2 week intervals), GAVEITEAM Tunisia, CLoD...lots of stuff!
Title: Re: Run for your FRIDAY with me
Post by: Gusington on August 18, 2017, 08:13:37 AM
What's that Attila mod's name?
Title: Re: Run for your FRIDAY with me
Post by: Pete Dero on August 18, 2017, 08:15:08 AM
Last weekend studying War in the East, this weekend learning to play War in the West and next weekend I will have a go at War in the Pacific  (so I am tired of wargames when Battlestar Galactica releases).

Not much of a summer here so I might as well do now what I planned on doing in the winter.
Title: Re: Run for your FRIDAY with me
Post by: Rayfer on August 18, 2017, 08:41:15 AM
Quote from: Pete Dero on August 18, 2017, 08:15:08 AM
Last weekend studying War in the East, this weekend learning to play War in the West and next weekend I will have a go at War in the Pacific  (so I am tired of wargames when Battlestar Galactica releases).

Not much of a summer here so I might as well do now what I planned on doing in the winter.

Just curious...where are you at PD?
Title: Re: Run for your FRIDAY with me
Post by: Pete Dero on August 18, 2017, 08:44:34 AM
Quote from: Rayfer on August 18, 2017, 08:41:15 AM
Quote from: Pete Dero on August 18, 2017, 08:15:08 AM
Last weekend studying War in the East, this weekend learning to play War in the West and next weekend I will have a go at War in the Pacific  (so I am tired of wargames when Battlestar Galactica releases).

Not much of a summer here so I might as well do now what I planned on doing in the winter.

Just curious...where are you at PD?

Belgium, 15k from Brussels.
Title: Re: Run for your FRIDAY with me
Post by: CJReich46 on August 18, 2017, 09:54:46 AM
Well off today, just trying to get some motivation.

Back to work tomorrow 8-12pm, no biggie as I say.  :uglystupid2:

Yesterday being GenCon, there was a release for Android/ iOS  from a developer named Meta Arcade: Tunnels and Trolls Adventures. It's free, it's just Naked Doom, Buffalo Castle and a few mini adventures and a nice tutorial, but there will be more plus an editor module.  What I like is you get to start with Naked Doom, and then if you want to play the others you can buy the module with gems (yeah it's a bit fee based) BUT you can try your luck with one for just one heart. They give you some hearts to start so its not a major deal.  I managed to get through Buffalo Castle on my first try (even dodged a stampede!). You also can create your own character or use the pre-rolled ones.

Maybe looking at that board game sale on Matrix/Slitherine.  There's a few that have been on my interested list.








Title: Re: Run for your FRIDAY with me
Post by: Toonces on August 18, 2017, 11:09:07 AM
I'd like to start trying to get into Scourge of War: Waterloo, but certainly some sort of SoW title.

Continue my Game of Thrones RPG adventure; I just started the Alester portion.

Finally, depending on the drinking status, perhaps some CK2.  For some reason CK2 just doesn't grab me as much sober.
Title: Re: Run for your FRIDAY with me
Post by: JasonPratt on August 18, 2017, 12:53:49 PM
Toonces, hit me up on Steamchat; I can help you on SoW:Waterloo. (I've got Gettysburg, too, but the UI is a bit different.)

I play with Asid and some other Europeans occasionally; they have matches regularly on Wed and Fri afternoons, but they tend to start earlier than I can feasibly be home from work. He'll occasionally run a mp game more for us Americans, where Tuna and TacWargamer and I get involved, too, on Sat afternoons.
Title: Re: Run for your FRIDAY with me
Post by: -budd- on August 18, 2017, 01:15:48 PM
PBEM turns for CMBN, CSME, and WITE and something else i'm sure, maybe Airship Dragoon, How to Survive 2, Titan Quest Anniversary Edition.....something survival also....PAMELA, 7DTD or Subnautica.
Title: Re: Run for your FRIDAY with me
Post by: JasonPratt on August 18, 2017, 01:25:43 PM
Let's see....

0.) My campaign with W8 and Tuna in Alea Jacta Est has sort of self-destructed due to some weird corruption in my save files. So no more of that, I suppose.  :'(

1.) Barth should be back this afternoon, so I expect to be either winning our forum game of Time of Crisis (set up by AzTank) very soon, or being absolutely curbstomped out of existence over the next few days.  :bd: :hide:

2.) Theoretically with Barth back, we may be getting into Turn 9 of our DC:Blitz game, too -- though no doubt later than sooner.

3.) Been teaching various people how to play Dawn of War: Soulstorm recently, and hopefully that will continue this weekend. What's even more likely, is ganging up with my primary co-player to discover all the extra goodies in the newest build of the ultra-fan-mod Ultimate Apocalypse: The Hunt Begins: New Factions which we managed to get running last night. His Necrons and my Space Marines looked like we were going to push slowly through a team of two Tyrannid AIs, but even with their unit-cap halved or thirded they came back in the late game and crushed us. It was a glorious loss!  :notworthy: Also, my first game DoW game ever against the Nids. (I don't usually play Space Marines, but they're generally the best team to learn new game builds on.)

In related news: it isn't that I want DoW3 to fail, but frankly DoW:SS:UA:THB:NF:BBQ(tm)(r) just crushes it for gameplay value.

4.) I've been trying to help some people learn how to play Steel Division, too, but dang if Paradox / Eugen have been making that difficult, with their game server troubles.  #:-)

5.) Been catching up on Magic Duels, too. Why that game allows only 50 decks is beyond me, considering that the deckbuilding code could easily handle thousands of decks.  L:-)

6.) ...uh, looking into my next video project, not sure what it'll be yet. Was going to do a video AAR of the ToC multiplayer, but I feel like we've done well enough already in the thread.

7.) ...anyone want to do another COIN forum game? I can do a 'host' like last time. http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=18567.0

8.) Crap, forgot I was going to set up a CM: Red Thunder PBEM game with Ysk! So, add that.  :coolsmiley:
Title: Re: Run for your FRIDAY with me
Post by: MengJiao on August 18, 2017, 02:29:27 PM
Quote from: Gusington on August 18, 2017, 08:13:37 AM
What's that Attila mod's name?

Aetilius versus Attila.  I'm playing the Visigoths since the Romans have lots of problems (as of course maybe they did in reality).


Title: Re: Run for your FRIDAY with me
Post by: Gusington on August 18, 2017, 04:37:31 PM
^Thank you
Title: Re: Run for your FRIDAY with me
Post by: mikeck on August 18, 2017, 06:53:48 PM
Scourge of War: Waterloo
Total War: Warhammer
Graviteam Tactics: Mius Front
Title: Re: Run for your FRIDAY with me
Post by: Gusington on August 18, 2017, 07:39:39 PM
How are you liking TW: Warhammer?
Title: Re: Run for your FRIDAY with me
Post by: Toonces on August 18, 2017, 09:10:54 PM
I"ve so barely touched TW: Japan
TW: Rome 2

That I'm seriously reluctant to dive into TW Total War.   It might be great but,...well you know.
Title: Re: Run for your FRIDAY with me
Post by: Gusington on August 18, 2017, 09:41:12 PM
TW: TW?
Title: Re: Run for your FRIDAY with me
Post by: JasonPratt on August 18, 2017, 10:05:29 PM
I'd be willing to nickname Total Warhammer "TW: Total War".  >:D :bd:
Title: Re: Run for your FRIDAY with me
Post by: Kushan on August 19, 2017, 03:16:02 AM
Prepar3D and Elite for me.

Picked up the Aerosoft CRJ-700/900 for Prepar3D this week along with the OrbX scenery I bought last weekend. Took it out for the first time tonight, a quick flight from KSEA to KPDX (Seattle to Portland). Flight went well until the autopilot tried to kill me on the approach. I landed it but it was ugly. Much more fun to fly in a sim then it is top actually fly on one.
Title: Re: Run for your FRIDAY with me
Post by: jamus34 on August 19, 2017, 08:17:43 AM
Got some SD in with Pratt yesterday. Won the first destruction match and got smoked on the second.
Title: Re: Run for your FRIDAY with me
Post by: Boggit on August 19, 2017, 09:57:43 AM
Starting a new GG's WITE 1941-45 Soviet Campaign
Field of Glory with ~ 10 opponents inc Anguille
SB FWW with Cyrano  - his turn I think - perhaps had better check... :-[
Some Combat Mission, dunno which yet, maybe Red Thunder for a change
Finishing off my AOW3 Dwarf Dreadnought campaign
Title: Re: Run for your FRIDAY with me
Post by: Gusington on August 19, 2017, 11:26:47 AM
Just installed the newly updated Path of Exile.
Title: Re: Run for your FRIDAY with me
Post by: JasonPratt on August 19, 2017, 12:13:08 PM
Quote from: jamus34 on August 19, 2017, 08:17:43 AM
Got some SD in with Pratt yesterday. Won the first destruction match and got smoked on the second.

The first destruction match was interesting, as the enemy (using my French and Polish decks by the way) dominated the map but we were able to set up good killing zones and just crushed them on points even though they could spend cash faster than us. We used a medium income rate and started with only 250 points for deployment.

The second destruction match, against two medium AI using pre-made decks (the French Blindee and... 31st Spearhead maybe? Can't recall for sure...), used a high income rate and 750 starting points for deployment. The enemy absolutely slaughtered our Phase A. I thought I had set the points to total annihilation, just using 30 minutes as the limit, but evidently I had set it to 2000 points -- we lost either a few seconds before or after the start of Phase B. I had exactly one unit left on the map (a self-propelled arty which, while nice, couldn't fight armor), and we spent the last three or maybe even five minutes unable to buy anything because we had already put out all our Phase A. The enemy just shot us to pieces.

In hindsight, we had both fielded decks that were meant to support stronger decks by pumping out numerous moderately decent units. (Mine was a Rommel's Circus deck that was designed around light and medium armor, nothing better really than Panzer IVs -- but it was ALL armor and guns, including in the scouts, no infantry, although with some gun transports that could serve as mobile machine gun posts.) Had we survived into Phase B and C, we would have had somewhat better kit out, especially Jamus (I still wouldn't have had any heavy armor) -- but so would our enemies.
Title: Re: Run for your FRIDAY with me
Post by: Gusington on August 19, 2017, 09:34:28 PM
Just completed Dishonored 2. A bit underwhelming. Reviewers over at RPS said that it felt like a modern Thief game. It did a bit, but the world felt very on-rails and the cooler more atmospheric levels were too few and far between. I beat the game as the female character, something I rarely do. I may go back at some point to replay as Corvo...the game is supposedly very different as him.

(https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/848220544912907919/C675EEEA26FC171D4396E42AE0968EFE4C7D4244/)
Title: Re: Run for your FRIDAY with me
Post by: Skwerl on August 20, 2017, 07:18:19 AM
Distant Worlds: Universe
Civilization VI
Battlefleet Engineer
Title: Re: Run for your FRIDAY with me
Post by: Gusington on August 20, 2017, 11:59:19 AM
Well with 1 game actually completed I am now rotating between Arcanum, Thief (latest version from 2014) and Path of Exile.
Title: Re: Run for your FRIDAY with me
Post by: JasonPratt on August 20, 2017, 12:53:57 PM
The princess and her rat behind the throne. ;)
Title: Re: Run for your FRIDAY with me
Post by: Gusington on August 20, 2017, 01:01:28 PM
Rats play a much lesser role in the new Dishonored...I miss devouring enemies with them :/
Title: Re: Run for your FRIDAY with me
Post by: Jarhead0331 on August 20, 2017, 01:06:55 PM
Quote from: Skwerl on August 20, 2017, 07:18:19 AM
Distant Worlds: Universe
Civilization VI
Battlefleet Engineer

Any thoughts on BF Engineer? I picked it up too, but first impressions were pretty buggy. Had trouble getting it to run in full screen.
Title: Re: Run for your FRIDAY with me
Post by: mikeck on August 21, 2017, 09:21:16 PM
Quote from: Gusington on August 18, 2017, 07:39:39 PM
How are you liking TW: Warhammer?

Sorry Gus. I missed this. Yeah, I'm really enjoying warhammer. I think I mentioned in another thread that is dont care much for "high fantasy" nor do I know about (or care) warhammer lore. To me, it's mediaval total was with some game of thrones "Army of the dead" thrown in. I play the "Empire" and don't use any wizards or magic. I just enjoy armored knights with great swords decapitating vampires and  warhammer equivalents of Vikings and Russian hordes.

It's is- along with Shogun 2- the most polished and visually beautiful Total War
Title: Re: Run for your FRIDAY with me
Post by: Gusington on August 22, 2017, 07:49:16 AM
Medieval TW with some Army of the Dead thrown in sounds pretty good! Your summary is pretty much how my first play through will probably pan out since I do not know much about the WH old world.
Title: Re: Run for your FRIDAY with me
Post by: Sir Slash on August 22, 2017, 10:36:03 AM
Yeah, I'll most likely start with an Empire or Dwarves start but the other sound intriguing.
Title: Re: Run for your FRIDAY with me
Post by: mikeck on August 22, 2017, 01:50:02 PM
I recommend the Radious total war mod and his units mod. Not because anything mechanically needs modding, but for the extra units he offers

My house rule is no "battle wizards" or magic used.
Title: Re: Run for your FRIDAY with me
Post by: Gusington on August 22, 2017, 06:54:20 PM
Never use any magic ever?

I like my first play through to be vanilla with any TW game before I mod it. I never modded Shogun 2 because I thought it was awesome in vanilla.
Title: Re: Run for your FRIDAY with me
Post by: Hofstadter on August 24, 2017, 03:58:38 AM
I got an itch to play Total war atilla.

I went through the belisarius campaign without once having to fight an actual battle.

Little bit sad....
Title: Re: Run for your FRIDAY with me
Post by: Sir Slash on August 24, 2017, 02:16:29 PM
I've been playing a lot of Age of Charlemagne recently and I like it more than Attila or Rome 2 and all the add-ons. It seems more balanced at the beginning with more time to develop your armies and economy before the mega-stacks begin to appear. Using the Radious mod so I'm not sure how much I like is Radious and how much is AoC but it's the most fun I've had since Fall of the Samurai.

There's a nice mix of small and large factions, Christian, Muslim, and Pagan factions, and raiding factions( the Avars or Danes). And the British factions are rapidly becoming my favorite. You have Welsh, Scots, Irish, and Anglo-Saxon types all warring for supremacy and the Danes over the horizon due any day. Only one Brit faction playable though, Mercia. Too bad.

The economy works, the diplomacy works... well enough, and managing your bastard family-tree is a nice side game. And, there's actual battles to be fought.  :o  The AI doesn't always run and hide in cities. And, the agents are back. The good ones I mean, Spies, Priests, and Assassins. This could almost be Medieval Total War 2 all over again.  :D
Title: Re: Run for your FRIDAY with me
Post by: Gusington on August 24, 2017, 09:06:16 PM
Hofstadter now that you mention it I don't think I fought one battle in the Belisarius campaign either and actually stopped playing that campaign altogether.
Title: Re: Run for your FRIDAY with me
Post by: Arctic Blast on August 26, 2017, 05:53:35 PM
Going to try to get Middle Earth Quest and Brass on the table to try them out. And my Massive Darkness Kickstarter showed up this week, so I'll probably start sorting out 7 billion figures. On the computer, I might pick up Prey and start playing that. It's 50% off, and I've got some Steam credit as well. I have a pile of strategy games to try out, but I don't want to get sunk in to anything before I go on vacation next weekend.
Title: Re: Run for your FRIDAY with me
Post by: JasonPratt on August 26, 2017, 07:26:28 PM
GROGS OF CRISIS (http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=20156.0) has come to the most insane turn yet! Is there any way it could ever be more insaner?!














(Spoiler: no.  >:D )