GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: oldguy on August 19, 2017, 07:22:39 AM

Title: Game suggestions?
Post by: oldguy on August 19, 2017, 07:22:39 AM
Help me spend my money as I look at a few weeks of upcoming vacation.  My wish list:

1.  Turn-based
2.  Operational
3.  Does not involve WW2, ACW, Napoleon
4.  Graphics not important but a friendly UI would be nice.

Any ideas welcome!
Title: Re: Game suggestions?
Post by: Staggerwing on August 19, 2017, 07:45:45 AM
Operational Art of War 3 has a bunch of scenarios that are not WW2:  http://www.matrixgames.com/products/317/details/Norm.Kogers.The.Operational.Art.of.War.III


There is a newer version in the works at Matrix Games but no hard info on when it will release.

Title: Re: Game suggestions?
Post by: Boggit on August 19, 2017, 07:57:14 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on August 19, 2017, 07:45:45 AM
Operational Art of War 3 has a bunch of scenarios that are not WW2:  http://www.matrixgames.com/products/317/details/Norm.Kogers.The.Operational.Art.of.War.III


There is a newer version in the works at Matrix Games but no hard info on when it will release.
I have it on good authority that it will be sometime around Thanksgiving.
Title: Re: Game suggestions?
Post by: Boggit on August 19, 2017, 07:58:45 AM
Quote from: oldguy on August 19, 2017, 07:22:39 AM
Help me spend my money as I look at a few weeks of upcoming vacation.  My wish list:

1.  Turn-based
2.  Operational
3.  Does not involve WW2, ACW, Napoleon
4.  Graphics not important but a friendly UI would be nice.

Any ideas welcome!
Tiller's First World War campaigns? France '14 or East Prussia '14. Just be prepared to see eye watering casualties.
Title: Re: Game suggestions?
Post by: Slick Wilhelm on August 19, 2017, 09:46:59 AM
Quote from: oldguy on August 19, 2017, 07:22:39 AM
Help me spend my money as I look at a few weeks of upcoming vacation.  My wish list:

1.  Turn-based
2.  Operational
3.  Does not involve WW2, ACW, Napoleon
4.  Graphics not important but a friendly UI would be nice.

Any ideas welcome!

1. Commander:The Great War
2. Ageod's To End All Wars
3. Ageod's Revolution Under Siege Gold

Out of those three, Commander is by far the easiest to jump right in and play. Although to do well, reading the manual is probably required.
Title: Re: Game suggestions?
Post by: Boggit on August 19, 2017, 09:51:14 AM
Quote from: Slick Wilhelm on August 19, 2017, 09:46:59 AM
Quote from: oldguy on August 19, 2017, 07:22:39 AM
Help me spend my money as I look at a few weeks of upcoming vacation.  My wish list:

1.  Turn-based
2.  Operational
3.  Does not involve WW2, ACW, Napoleon
4.  Graphics not important but a friendly UI would be nice.

Any ideas welcome!

1. Commander:The Great War
2. Ageod's To End All Wars
3. Ageod's Revolution Under Siege Gold

Out of those three, Commander is by far the easiest to jump right in and play. Although to do well, reading the manual is probably required.
Didn't think of those, but those are all good ones.
Title: Re: Game suggestions?
Post by: Raied on August 19, 2017, 10:48:58 AM
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm

Its turn based WEGO, operational, Cold War, good UI
Title: Re: Game suggestions?
Post by: mirth on August 19, 2017, 10:56:00 AM
Quote from: Raied on August 19, 2017, 10:48:58 AM
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm

Its turn based WEGO, operational, Cold War, good UI

+1 I was going to recommend it as well.
Title: Re: Game suggestions?
Post by: Bison on August 19, 2017, 11:01:30 AM
Quote from: oldguy on August 19, 2017, 07:22:39 AM
Help me spend my money as I look at a few weeks of upcoming vacation.  My wish list:

1.  Turn-based
2.  Operational
3.  Does not involve WW2, ACW, Napoleon
4.  Graphics not important but a friendly UI would be nice.

Any ideas welcome!

Advanced tactics gold.  http://www.matrixgames.com/products/product.asp?gid=405

Great sandbox with no historical setting.  Randomized games with unlimited replayability
Title: Re: Game suggestions?
Post by: Rayfer on August 19, 2017, 12:08:02 PM
Quote from: mirth on August 19, 2017, 10:56:00 AM
Quote from: Raied on August 19, 2017, 10:48:58 AM
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm

Its turn based WEGO, operational, Cold War, good UI

+1 I was going to recommend it as well.

Question....what makes a game operational rather than tactical? Where does tactical transition into operational?  I would have thought Flashpoint Campaigns was tactical, but what do I know?   :crazy2:
Title: Re: Game suggestions?
Post by: mirth on August 19, 2017, 12:15:08 PM
Technically it may be tactical, but I think it stretches into the operational level as well.

'Operational level' as a military term is a bit tricky to pin down

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operational_level_of_war
Title: Re: Game suggestions?
Post by: JasonPratt on August 19, 2017, 12:38:02 PM
If you can find a copy of People's General (the finale of the SSI 5-star series), you'll not only get an operational (if beer and pretz) campaign in an unusual setting (the rise of Chinese communism and defense against it), but modders have produced a ton of alternative content for it.

You didn't say if you were looking for historical operational games other than noted, or if you would consider other genres. Fantasy Wars/Elven Legacy (available from Paradox if I recall) features a colorful 3D graphic update to SSI's old 5-star engine (i.e. Panzer General), with nine campaigns between them (including EL expansions) and a very decent UI. On the other end of the fantasy/sci-fi spectrum, but also involving orcs and a variation of the 5-star system, is Matrix/Slitherine's Warhammer40K: Armageddon (with plenty of expansions).

Back to history: the Vietnam '65 and Afghanistan '11 games are a quite different type of turn-based operational game, the latter featuring more options and a proper historical campaign as well as random-gen maps (although be aware that the tutorial, though admirably tied into the historical progression, can easily be lost by accident.)

Pike and Shot Campaigns and Sengoku Jidai: Shadow of the Shogun, both of which involve a sort of updated modification of the Field of Glory engine (FoG2 coming soon), provide turn based operations around late medieval/renaissance times, on opposite ends of the world. SenJi was made by one of our own Grogs!


Everything in that list after PeepGen is available on Steam, and everything from WH40K:Arma also comes from Matrixlitherine. ;) I could probably come up with more samples.
Title: Re: Game suggestions?
Post by: mirth on August 19, 2017, 12:42:25 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on August 19, 2017, 12:38:02 PM
If you can find a copy of People's General (the finale of the SSI 5-star series), you'll not only get an operational (if beer and pretz) campaign in an unusual setting (the rise of Chinese communism and defense against it), but modders have produced a ton of alternative content for it.

It's all here:

http://www.peoplesgeneral.de/
Title: Re: Game suggestions?
Post by: Rayfer on August 19, 2017, 02:08:44 PM
Quote from: mirth on August 19, 2017, 12:15:08 PM
Technically it may be tactical, but I think it stretches into the operational level as well.

'Operational level' as a military term is a bit tricky to pin down

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operational_level_of_war

Thanks mirth.  The link is a good one, makes more sense.
Title: Re: Game suggestions?
Post by: DennisS on August 19, 2017, 03:24:03 PM
Quote from: Bison on August 19, 2017, 11:01:30 AM
Quote from: oldguy on August 19, 2017, 07:22:39 AM
Help me spend my money as I look at a few weeks of upcoming vacation.  My wish list:

1.  Turn-based
2.  Operational
3.  Does not involve WW2, ACW, Napoleon
4.  Graphics not important but a friendly UI would be nice.

Any ideas welcome!

Advanced tactics gold.  http://www.matrixgames.com/products/product.asp?gid=405

Great sandbox with no historical setting.  Randomized games with unlimited replayability

An excellent suggestion. If you don't have a strong interest in logistics, and supporting the tip of the spear, don't bother. Very elegant design.
Title: Re: Game suggestions?
Post by: Barthheart on August 21, 2017, 10:50:16 AM
Quote from: Rayfer on August 19, 2017, 02:08:44 PM
Quote from: mirth on August 19, 2017, 12:15:08 PM
Technically it may be tactical, but I think it stretches into the operational level as well.

'Operational level' as a military term is a bit tricky to pin down

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operational_level_of_war

Thanks mirth.  The link is a good one, makes more sense.

Yeah, I  wouldn't call Flashpoint Campaigns operational, more like Grand Tactical... nick picky but in the single scenario's your not so worried about supplies and such that make an game operational.
The campaigns are closer to operational as you have to manage reinforcements etc.

Great game though. OJsDad and I spent all last winter bashing our way through all the scenarios. Well balanced and lots of fun.
Title: Re: Game suggestions?
Post by: mikeck on August 21, 2017, 03:26:00 PM
As an AGEOD fanboi, I would say that their games meet all of your criteria:
1. Thirty Years War
2. Rise of Prussia (my favorite)
3. Revolution Under Seige
4. Wars in America
If you wait for a few months "wars of secession "will be out of beta and it is fantastic
Title: Re: Game suggestions?
Post by: Tuna on August 21, 2017, 04:51:33 PM
Quote from: mikeck on August 21, 2017, 03:26:00 PM
As an AGEOD fanboi, I would say that their games meet all of your criteria:
1. Thirty Years War
2. Rise of Prussia (my favorite)
3. Revolution Under Seige
4. Wars in America
If you wait for a few months "wars of secession "will be out of beta and it is fantastic

Be forewarned though, some people struggle getting 'into' this engine. Not sure if they have any games that has a demo, but you might want to try that first. I enjoy the engine, but it is definitely able to function better with smaller amounts of units. That is why the games mentioned above are pretty good. Other games like Civil War and Napoleon that have a lot of units,  I guess have issues (though I have yet to play the ACW 2 so can't comment truthfully on that one yet - enjoyed ACW I), this reputation has kept me from grabbing Napoleon, even though I was tempted.  :crazy2:
Title: Re: Game suggestions?
Post by: MetalDog on August 21, 2017, 10:26:07 PM
I am one of those that has a difficult time getting into AGEOD games.  I love the maps and the setup.  It's just the granularity and the reasoning behind why things happen that I don't get.  It is frustrating.  I will say that if it clicks with you, then, then you will have a great time.
Title: Re: Game suggestions?
Post by: Capn Darwin on August 22, 2017, 09:21:56 AM
If it helps, Red Storm will be on sale the 1st of September.  <:-)
Title: Re: Game suggestions?
Post by: Barthheart on August 22, 2017, 09:23:00 AM
Quote from: Capn Darwin on August 22, 2017, 09:21:56 AM
If it helps, Red Storm will be on sale the 1st of September.  <:-)

How about Southern Storm?  ;)
Title: Re: Game suggestions?
Post by: OJsDad on August 22, 2017, 09:57:14 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on August 22, 2017, 09:23:00 AM
Quote from: Capn Darwin on August 22, 2017, 09:21:56 AM
If it helps, Red Storm will be on sale the 1st of September.  <:-)

How about Southern Storm?  ;)

Is Southern Storm anything like;