http://kotaku.com/i-learned-calculus-with-a-video-game-and-it-was-surpri-1797982791?utm_content=59225243&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook
Product website
https://triseum.com/calculus/variant/
Jomni. I was not looking forward to relearning this stuff for my sons school work later. I wonder if this would solve the problem.
What's Calculus? :crazy2:
It's that stuff that ends up on your teeth when you don't brush properly.
^I thought that was algebra. Or is that the stuff in ponds?
Quote from: bbmike on August 23, 2017, 08:53:16 AM
^I thought that was algebra. Or is that the stuff in ponds?
I red that brown algebra is good for the environment.
Quote from: bbmike on August 23, 2017, 08:53:16 AM
^I thought that was algebra. Or is that the stuff in ponds?
Applying calculus is integral to solving the later puzzles in the game.
But, I have no calculus skills.
Quote from: FarAway Sooner on August 23, 2017, 11:50:57 AM
Quote from: bbmike on August 23, 2017, 08:53:16 AM
^I thought that was algebra. Or is that the stuff in ponds?
Applying calculus is integral to solving the later puzzles in the game.
That statement brings me to the limit of my patience!
Quote from: bobarossa on August 23, 2017, 09:21:52 PM
Quote from: FarAway Sooner on August 23, 2017, 11:50:57 AM
Quote from: bbmike on August 23, 2017, 08:53:16 AM
^I thought that was algebra. Or is that the stuff in ponds?
Applying calculus is integral to solving the later puzzles in the game.
That statement brings me to the limit of my patience!
I was just being derivative of some of the other threads we've had on this board...
Quote from: FarAway Sooner on August 24, 2017, 01:08:07 AM
Quote from: bobarossa on August 23, 2017, 09:21:52 PM
Quote from: FarAway Sooner on August 23, 2017, 11:50:57 AM
Quote from: bbmike on August 23, 2017, 08:53:16 AM
^I thought that was algebra. Or is that the stuff in ponds?
Applying calculus is integral to solving the later puzzles in the game.
That statement brings me to the limit of my patience!
I was just being derivative of some of the other threads we've had on this board...
It was a radical expression.
Calculus sucks a goat's ass.
One of my great regrets in life is that I took two semesters of Calculus in college. I loved the first semester, and the moment in that first class when the light bulb went off in my head because I understood E going to the limit in geometrical terms was one of the more pleasant moments of my academic career (the worst was a quant course that I took in business school where the instructor was too drunk to explain what was going on). But the second semester was boring and painful, and I'm really sorry I took it.
If you really want to put your math skills to the test, play Silent Hunter and work out all your torpedo firing solutions manually with trigonometry. Can't say I'd enjoy doing it, but some people get a kick out of that kind of thing. Playing The Inquisitor with the language set to Latin is more to my taste.
I stumbled through algebra, trig and pre-calc in high school and then took a couple of semesters of calculus in college. Painful doesn't even begin to describe it. I'm lucky I can still manage percentages and fractions today.
The upside is that when I went back to school 10 years ago and needed some algebra class for a math credit, after the first week the professor told me to only show up for the tests. I was a million miles ahead of the kids fresh out of high school even though I hadn't taken a math course in over 15 years.
^Ah, the power of bourbon and scotch. O0
Powerful, it is
Quote from: BanzaiCat on August 24, 2017, 10:33:48 AM
Calculus sucks a goat's ass.
This x 100000000.... and I'm an engineer... :P
Quote from: Barthheart on August 24, 2017, 02:25:44 PM
Quote from: BanzaiCat on August 24, 2017, 10:33:48 AM
Calculus sucks a goat's ass.
This x 100000000.... and I'm an engineer... :P
From one engineer to another. +1000 O0
Heartwarming to read about all the engineers who hate math...
Fuck Calculus and COBOL, dammit! :tickedoff:
COBOL is still a thing? :o
You can make good money right now if you really know COBOL.
Quote from: bbmike on August 24, 2017, 05:27:42 PM
COBOL is still a thing? :o
It is. So is FORTRAN. There are some frightening legacy systems around that no one under 70 really knows how to maintain.
Damn. I studied both. I thought they went the way of rotary dial phones years ago.
They should have, but they're still around in some scary ways. Banking and healthcare for example.
I'd rather code old BASIC scan cards and run them through that decrepit WANG card reader we used my freshman year of high school than fuss about with COBOL lines.
Heheh...he said WANG card...
1984 was a good year to be 15 and have a big machine with the word WANG on it in one of your classrooms.
I'm an engineer and I loved calculus. I was a double major (engineering and math) for a while, and took all the extra math classes I could. Our engineering department emphasized math. I loved mathematical physics - lots of advanced calculus in that class. Loved it.
I also learned FORTRAN, and I learned it using punch chards. Those were NOT the good old days. Punch your cards, submit your job, wait two hours, only to find that you had a syntax error because you mis-typed a character.
BTW, anybody still have an RPN calculator?
Quote from: trailrunner on August 24, 2017, 05:52:33 PM
I'm an engineer and I loved calculus. I was a double major (engineering and math) for a while, and took all the extra math classes I could. Our engineering department emphasized math. I loved mathematical physics - lots of advanced calculus in that class. Loved it.
I also learned FORTRAN, and I learned it using punch chards. Those were NOT the good old days. Punch your cards, submit your job, wait two hours, only to find that you had a syntax error because you mis-typed a character.
BTW, anybody still have an RPN calculator?
NERD!!!
Quote from: mirth on August 24, 2017, 06:00:24 PM
Quote from: trailrunner on August 24, 2017, 05:52:33 PM
I'm an engineer and I loved calculus. I was a double major (engineering and math) for a while, and took all the extra math classes I could. Our engineering department emphasized math. I loved mathematical physics - lots of advanced calculus in that class. Loved it.
I also learned FORTRAN, and I learned it using punch chards. Those were NOT the good old days. Punch your cards, submit your job, wait two hours, only to find that you had a syntax error because you mis-typed a character.
BTW, anybody still have an RPN calculator?
NERD!!!
Aw shucks. You flatter me. :smitten:
You wanna be the Grogheads IT guy?
I thought Crazy Girl was the Grogheads IT guy!
I'm fine with that
Quote from: mirth on August 24, 2017, 06:05:41 PM
You wanna be the Grogheads IT guy?
Sure. I'll just telnet in with my 300 baud acoustic modem.
Quote from: trailrunner on August 24, 2017, 06:10:50 PM
Quote from: mirth on August 24, 2017, 06:05:41 PM
You wanna be the Grogheads IT guy?
Sure. I'll just telnet in with my 300 baud acoustic modem.
You may be a little too advanced for Brant.
Quote from: trailrunner on August 24, 2017, 05:52:33 PM
BTW, anybody still have an RPN calculator?
The standard financial calculator used to be the Hewlett Packard 12c. When I was in school we used to joke about its being in RPN, and what the letters in the acronym stand for. To do 2+2=4 you hit the clear button a couple of times, then 2 enter 2 plus. There's no equal sign and it saves you a lot of time when you're doing a long series of calculations on an exam. I use it to do reality checks on Excel spreadsheets (which are more powerful but harder to set up). But you need to know approximately what the answer should be because it's really easy for expressions that you had thought you'd erased to creep into the formula and throw things completely off.
Ah the HP 12c. I had to use that for my CFA exams.
Quote from: jomni on August 24, 2017, 06:56:05 PM
Ah the HP 12c. I had to use that for my CFA exams.
NERD!!!
Jomni is the new Grogheads IT guy O0
I got an HP-15c as a graduation present when I got my B.S. in 1983. That calculator was one of the greatest creations in mankind's history.
Once you get used to it, RPN was great for complex calculations (which is not the same as calculations involving complex numbers).
For a while I was collaborating with another engineer at another R&D facility. We got along pretty well, and got to know each other. We finally reached the point when he asked me, in a quiet voice: "Dave, I need to know - are you an HP guy?" When I answered "yes," our bro-nerd relationship was cemented.
I have a couple more stories about me and calculators that would certify me as double-platinum-gonzo NERD. So here goes -- Once, when I was in band camp....
Congrats. Brant will be in touch shortly.
Quote from: mirth on August 24, 2017, 07:08:12 PM
Jomni is the new Grogheads IT guy O0
What are the perks?
You know, I had a great high school Calculus prof--might have been the most influential teacher I ever had--but when I got to college, I developed a quick distaste for the subject matter. I also realized that, while I was extremely good at arithmetic, I wasn't nearly as good at math as I thought.
But I can still do arithmetic in my head like a mad man. It was my party trick in college to try to convince people I was sober. Needless to say, it didn't impress the chicks much...
As for calculators, I was strictly a TI-35 guy. I never had much use for the Poles and their calculators. :crazy2:
Quote from: FarAway Sooner on August 24, 2017, 11:44:21 PM
You know, I had a great high school Calculus prof--might have been the most influential teacher I ever had--but when I got to college, I developed a quick distaste for the subject matter. I also realized that, while I was extremely good at arithmetic, I wasn't nearly as good at math as I thought.
But I can still do arithmetic in my head like a mad man. It was my party trick in college to try to convince people I was sober. Needless to say, it didn't impress the chicks much...
As for calculators, I was strictly a TI-35 guy. I never had much use for the Poles and their calculators. :crazy2:
I have the same party trick down pat. "Give me any two digit numbers", I say. I then add them up, double, then triple, then x19...basically as fast as it takes to write this. X19 is a trick...add a zero, then subtract X1. Example: 52 + 34 = 86. Doubled is172, times 19 is (172x10=1720) - 86. This is (1720-100)+14, or 1634.
Back to the topic ::)...
...what about that space combat sim game earlier this year which used hardcore astrophysics? Seems like calculus might give someone an edge there.
Or a curve.
My limit on calculus has already been reached, I'm afraid.
The pun originality in this thread has approached zero, I see.
Quote from: JasonPratt on August 25, 2017, 01:48:14 PM
The pun originality in this thread has approached zero, I see.
So what's the differential?
What do you call Al Gore playing on his guitar? An Algorithm.
Oh please stop
I'm having trouble seeing how stopping is integral to this thread.
It's hard to cut the chord from punning.
Note to self: we're not too off-bass by changing to music puns.
That's a whole other tangent.
We pun because we can. It's by nature's de-sine.
I like the arc of this thread.
Might be time for the punners to have a slice of humble pi.
You could be right but you need to be less obtuse about it.
An attitude like that is just...irrational.
Don't be such a square.
No need to keep multiplying the puns.
They're growing exponentially
Sum times puns divide us. Equal that in one sentence!
Quote from: bobarossa on August 29, 2017, 02:46:20 PM
Sum times puns divide us. Equal that in one sentence!
Impossible to be greater than that. You've covered all the right angles.
Quote from: mirth on August 29, 2017, 02:51:45 PM
Quote from: bobarossa on August 29, 2017, 02:46:20 PM
Sum times puns divide us. Equal that in one sentence!
Impossible to be greater than that. You've covered all the right angles.
Let's get real here, mirth. I thought he was being kind of obtuse.
Quote from: FarAway Sooner on August 29, 2017, 03:52:11 PM
Let's get real here, mirth. I thought he was being kind of obtuse.
That was not acute pun.
Even I've reached my absolute maximum critical point now! Y'all should washer hands of this.
Feeling absolutely shell-shocked by the puns, are you?
It's not like he's going to sine away his life.
Not without someone to cosine.
Great God almighty, I avoided this thread forever because it was about . . . :o . . . well, never mind, but now I finally check it out oand I realize IT IS ABOUT HORRIBLE PUNS! :hide:
:D
Yeah. They do that crap every where around here. The bad puns, that is. Wish they'd put'em all in one place. Then I would know where to avoid. ;)