GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: JudgeDredd on August 27, 2017, 12:28:46 AM

Title: Gotta love Steam...
Post by: JudgeDredd on August 27, 2017, 12:28:46 AM
...it recommends all sorts of shite for me - I mean games I wouldn't likely go near with a barge pole - and yet F1 2017 gets released and I get NOTHING from Steam.

Granted, the Recommends are based on tags on games, but seldom do they even remotely look like a game I'm going to purchase.

However, you'd think given I own every single edition of F1 from 2010 it might be able to make an educated guess that I'd be interested in this title being released  :idiot2:
Title: Re: Gotta love Steam...
Post by: Greybriar on August 27, 2017, 01:03:25 AM
I still don't like Steam, but at least I don't hate it like I used to. My biggest problem with Steam (and about everything else connected with  PC gaming) is the EULA. But being the addicted gamer that I am, I just had to own some of those games that were only available on Steam. *sigh*
Title: Re: Gotta love Steam...
Post by: JudgeDredd on August 27, 2017, 01:13:54 AM
Quote from: Greybriar on August 27, 2017, 01:03:25 AM
I still don't like Steam, but at least I don't hate it like I used to. My biggest problem with Steam (and about everything else connected with  PC gaming) is the EULA. But being the addicted gamer that I am, I just had to own some of those games that were only available on Steam. *sigh*
A bullet many of us have had to bite  ;D
Title: Re: Gotta love Steam...
Post by: GDS_Starfury on August 27, 2017, 01:39:56 AM
Ive never had a problem with Steam and I originally approached with a lot of trepidation.
I have more of a problem with how much of a douche bag Vettle has been this year with Ferrari.
Title: Re: Gotta love Steam...
Post by: JudgeDredd on August 27, 2017, 06:00:16 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 27, 2017, 01:39:56 AM
Ive never had a problem with Steam and I originally approached with a lot of trepidation.
I have more of a problem with how much of a douche bag Vettle has been this year with Ferrari.
I've never had an issue, per se...but I understand people may not like their system. Third party DRM does annoy me, but then I'm not sure Steam can do anything about that.

I just found it odd that Steam wouldn't understand that I would be a guaranteed £45 when a new F1 game came out  :2funny:
Title: Re: Gotta love Steam...
Post by: Staggerwing on August 27, 2017, 06:05:59 AM
Do you have a lot of racing games in your Steam inventory or on your 'I'm interested' list? I don't think that their system tracks what specific titles (as in what series) you buy or follow development on so much as what kind (along with what others with similar lists get) when they push suggestions on you.
Title: Re: Gotta love Steam...
Post by: Father Ted on August 27, 2017, 06:26:51 AM
I think it's pretty clever really.  I mean it "knows" you're going to buy the new F1 game whatever, so why waste resources in trying to persuade you to do so?
Title: Re: Gotta love Steam...
Post by: Jarhead0331 on August 27, 2017, 06:33:28 AM
I love steam. My only regret is that I didn't think of the concept first.
Title: Re: Gotta love Steam...
Post by: JudgeDredd on August 27, 2017, 07:15:34 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on August 27, 2017, 06:05:59 AM
Do you have a lot of racing games in your Steam inventory or on your 'I'm interested' list? I don't think that their system tracks what specific titles (as in what series) you buy or follow development on so much as what kind (along with what others with similar lists get) when they push suggestions on you.
I have lots of driving games. Other games show up with Driving and Simulation tags - but not this  :P
Title: Re: Gotta love Steam...
Post by: JudgeDredd on August 27, 2017, 07:15:54 AM
Quote from: Father Ted on August 27, 2017, 06:26:51 AM
I think it's pretty clever really.  I mean it "knows" you're going to buy the new F1 game whatever, so why waste resources in trying to persuade you to do so?
I suppose it could be that
Title: Re: Gotta love Steam...
Post by: Gusington on August 27, 2017, 02:12:17 PM
I didn't like Steam until it got to inside my brain and tried to tell me what a I would like. Most of the time it's recommendations for me are pretty bogus though.
Title: Re: Gotta love Steam...
Post by: mirth on August 27, 2017, 02:25:02 PM
Title: Re: Gotta love Steam...
Post by: Pete Dero on August 27, 2017, 03:03:25 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 27, 2017, 07:15:54 AM
Quote from: Father Ted on August 27, 2017, 06:26:51 AM
I think it's pretty clever really.  I mean it "knows" you're going to buy the new F1 game whatever, so why waste resources in trying to persuade you to do so?
I suppose it could be that

No !  It "knows" you already have to much F1 games ... ;)
Title: Re: Gotta love Steam...
Post by: jomni on August 28, 2017, 05:30:07 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 27, 2017, 12:28:46 AM
...it recommends all sorts of shite for me - I mean games I wouldn't likely go near with a barge pole - and yet F1 2017 gets released and I get NOTHING from Steam.

Granted, the Recommends are based on tags on games, but seldom do they even remotely look like a game I'm going to purchase.

However, you'd think given I own every single edition of F1 from 2010 it might be able to make an educated guess that I'd be interested in this title being released  :idiot2:

F1 2017 splash screen just popped out when I started Steam.
Title: Re: Gotta love Steam...
Post by: Tuna on August 28, 2017, 05:50:04 AM
Quote from: jomni on August 28, 2017, 05:30:07 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 27, 2017, 12:28:46 AM
...it recommends all sorts of shite for me - I mean games I wouldn't likely go near with a barge pole - and yet F1 2017 gets released and I get NOTHING from Steam.

Granted, the Recommends are based on tags on games, but seldom do they even remotely look like a game I'm going to purchase.

However, you'd think given I own every single edition of F1 from 2010 it might be able to make an educated guess that I'd be interested in this title being released  :idiot2:

F1 2017 splash screen just popped out when I started Steam.

It knows that you're friends with JD, but it's not sure if you are intending to buy. So it feels the need to advertise to you!
Title: Re: Gotta love Steam...
Post by: Windigo on August 28, 2017, 11:52:11 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 27, 2017, 06:33:28 AM
I love steam. My only regret is that I didn't think of the concept first.

You had a backlog of great ideas, like getting married and having a family.   O0
Title: Re: Gotta love Steam...
Post by: Boggit on August 29, 2017, 08:00:58 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 27, 2017, 01:13:54 AM
Quote from: Greybriar on August 27, 2017, 01:03:25 AM
I still don't like Steam, but at least I don't hate it like I used to. My biggest problem with Steam (and about everything else connected with  PC gaming) is the EULA. But being the addicted gamer that I am, I just had to own some of those games that were only available on Steam. *sigh*
A bullet many of us have had to bite  ;D
Cruel isn't it. I do like auto update, and it's kind of convenient even if I'm not a fan of Steam itself.