GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: JudgeDredd on September 01, 2017, 01:58:03 AM

Title: Union Friday Blues
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 01, 2017, 01:58:03 AM


Man -  I was so hot for Blondie in my youth. This particular song I remember vividly.

My gaming this weekend will consist of my new love - PS4 and Madden NFL 18 with possibly some No Mans Land thrown in - though that's an outside chance.

Now I know how to get sound back into my F1 game (by Alt-Tabbing out and back in - a couple of times  :knuppel2: :idiot2:) I'll be continuing my career as a crap F1 driver for McLaren in F1 2017

And I think that's it. I've got a model which is painted and ready to be pieced together - but I'm struggling to find the drive because it's a 1/72 vehicle - very small for these old eyes.

Happy gaming everyone and have a good weekend whatever you do. And My sympathies to anyone here (or otherwise) affected by the storm hitting the southern states - good luck  :notworthy:
Title: Re: Union Friday Blues
Post by: MetalDog on September 01, 2017, 05:57:00 AM
Thanks, JD!  This weekend is the first full weekend of college football.  So Saturday will be spent mowing, Civ IV-ing and football-ing.  Sunday is the draft for our fantasy football league.  And Monday, which is a national holiday here in the States will be spent any damn well I please.  Happy gaming, Grogs!
Title: Re: Union Friday Blues
Post by: Tuna on September 01, 2017, 06:07:51 AM
Driving my youngest to Umass Honors today, so as of tonight we'll be empty nesters  :(.

This weekend will definitely try and get some World of Warships in. Started up another game of Stars in Shadows so will spend some time in that as well.
Title: Re: Union Friday Blues
Post by: HoodedHorseJoe on September 01, 2017, 07:05:03 AM
Apart from Battlestar Galactica Deadlock, I'm playing No Man's Sky on the PS4. I like the look of Absolver as well, which I might pick up if it goes cheap.

In terms of upcoming whims, I might jump back in Distant Worlds Universe, or give Total War: Warhammer a go. I've never played it, but several of my peers say it's the best Total War and I'm interesting if good design can beat out the fact that I have zero interest in the Warhammer Fantasy universe.
Title: Re: Union Friday Blues
Post by: Barthheart on September 01, 2017, 07:57:36 AM
Promise to get Jason the DC1:Warsaw to Paris turn 8 back to him on Saturday.
Playing some Battlestar Galactica... seems really cool so  far.
Playing some more No Man's Sky... great to just relax and explore.

Going to get a LnLT title on the game table... either my new Heroes of North Africa or a user made scenario for Heroes of the Motherland and the Solo module.

Sunday is pickling jalapenos from our garden.

Holiday Monday is more gaming.....  :D
Title: Re: Union Friday Blues
Post by: Jarhead0331 on September 01, 2017, 09:23:05 AM
Headed up to the mountains for the long holiday weekend, so it will be extremely light on gaming, and extremely heavy on hiking, shooting guns and driving ATVs. If I get back early enough on Monday, maybe some BSG: Deadlock and Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor Martyr. Also, my neck and back has been really bad over the last month and a half and its finally getting better, so I'd like to get into a backlog of VR gaming, as well.
Title: Re: Union Friday Blues
Post by: Rayfer on September 01, 2017, 09:55:40 AM
Picked up the free-to-play Elder Scrolls Online MMO a few days back on Steam on sale for $9.99.  Hadn't played a fantasy MMO since World of Warcraft many years ago.  Got 20 hours in already with a now 11th level stealth assassin character.  Totally solo so far and enjoying it. I refuse to pay a monthly fee so I'll cap out at level 20 and move on to something else.
Title: Re: Union Friday Blues
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 01, 2017, 09:58:37 AM
Quote from: Rayfer on September 01, 2017, 09:55:40 AM
Picked up the free-to-play Elder Scrolls Online MMO a few days back on Steam on sale for $9.99.  Hadn't played a fantasy MMO since World of Warcraft many years ago.  Got 20 hours in already with a now 11th level stealth assassin character.  Totally solo so far and enjoying it. I refuse to pay a monthly fee so I'll cap out at level 20 and move on to something else.
Free to Play at $9.99? Bargain  :crazy2:
Title: Re: Union Friday Blues
Post by: Cyrano on September 01, 2017, 09:59:55 AM
JTS Jena X2

Back playing SB:WWI with Boggit -- Gallipoli 8!!

Blood Bowl II Legendary Edition:  Finally, finally, finally BB is right on the PC.  My halfling horde will rule the pitch.

SoW: WL MP planned with my son

C&C:N LGB Vimero

Flight of the Eagle KS turns...much fighting...
Title: Re: Union Friday Blues
Post by: bbmike on September 01, 2017, 10:03:03 AM
Busy weekend but I will try to work in some Battlestar Galactica Deadlock and maybe Age of Wonders 3.
Title: Re: Union Friday Blues
Post by: Sir Slash on September 01, 2017, 10:36:52 AM
Age of Charlemagne if I have the time and maybe back to my long-neglected ACW 2 campaign as the South. Monday will be 'No Labor Day' here about and more probably 'Throw Grandkids In The Pool Day'-- they're insured. And Dredd.... Blondie got me hot on a regular basis back in the day.  :dreamer:
Title: Re: Union Friday Blues
Post by: Gusington on September 01, 2017, 02:03:07 PM
Blondie...such hawtness...and the music ain't bad :)

Continuing to smack around Fatimid Egypt as the Kingdom of Jerusalem in Medieval 2 Total War Crusades. 10 years on and it's still engrossing!
Title: Re: Union Friday Blues
Post by: airboy on September 01, 2017, 03:35:47 PM
My wife is a big Blonde fan.  We saw them 5 years or so ago when they toured after releasing a new album.

Some (listening) to college football.  I'm finishing my 2nd playthrough of Burma.
Title: Re: Union Friday Blues
Post by: Rayfer on September 01, 2017, 03:40:13 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 01, 2017, 09:58:37 AM
Quote from: Rayfer on September 01, 2017, 09:55:40 AM
Picked up the free-to-play Elder Scrolls Online MMO a few days back on Steam on sale for $9.99.  Hadn't played a fantasy MMO since World of Warcraft many years ago.  Got 20 hours in already with a now 11th level stealth assassin character.  Totally solo so far and enjoying it. I refuse to pay a monthly fee so I'll cap out at level 20 and move on to something else.
Free to Play at $9.99? Bargain  :crazy2:

LOL....touché.  No monthly fee would have been more exact.
Title: Re: Union Friday Blues
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 01, 2017, 04:39:30 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on September 01, 2017, 03:40:13 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 01, 2017, 09:58:37 AM
Quote from: Rayfer on September 01, 2017, 09:55:40 AM
Picked up the free-to-play Elder Scrolls Online MMO a few days back on Steam on sale for $9.99.  Hadn't played a fantasy MMO since World of Warcraft many years ago.  Got 20 hours in already with a now 11th level stealth assassin character.  Totally solo so far and enjoying it. I refuse to pay a monthly fee so I'll cap out at level 20 and move on to something else.
Free to Play at $9.99? Bargain  :crazy2:

LOL....touché.  No monthly fee would have been more exact.
O0
Title: Re: Union Friday Blues
Post by: Wolfe1759 on September 01, 2017, 05:18:18 PM
JD very good choice of songs although Blondie's true hotness only comes out when she is singing in French  :)

As to the gaming, I'm going to have a go at Stellaris again (with no DLC as yet), Last Days of Old Earth, a bit of Vietnam 65 and probably dip in and out of my current run of Smugglers V.

P.S. still resisting Battlestar Galactica but may give in to the Cylon influences before the end of the weekend.
Title: Re: Union Friday Blues
Post by: CJReich46 on September 01, 2017, 05:47:29 PM
Well I am fortunate the kiddies go back to school next week (aside that I work longer weekdays  :uglystupid2:) So that means I'm not working on the weekends.

But this weekend I only work Saturday and after NOOOON, I am off till Tuesday!

But I have been off since Thursday, so I tried out Civil War 1863 by Hexwar on my tablet. Not bad. I like how they added pay for stuff in their game. I might try out their Roman War one.

I've been playing Polaris Sector a bit here and there too. I might have a go at Stellaris (I have yet to even finish a game of that)- might throw in a custom race or two as my "antagonists". Still No DLC in Stellaris either.

CK II has been kind of nagging at me for something different.


I thought about Battlestar Galactica: Deadlock but I have to pass at least until I upgrade my machine. The one I'm running is just too old.
Title: Re: Union Friday Blues
Post by: Sir Slash on September 01, 2017, 09:48:18 PM
I KNEW there was a reason I used to love this time of year. Football and 'Back to School'.  :D
Title: Re: Union Friday Blues
Post by: Gusington on September 02, 2017, 11:54:22 AM
The best Staples commercial ever has the dad dancing down the aisle at one of their stores to 'The Most Wonderful Time of the Year' - for back to school sales 😀
Title: Re: Union Friday Blues
Post by: CJReich46 on September 02, 2017, 02:50:14 PM
Quote from: Gusington on September 02, 2017, 11:54:22 AM
The best Staples commercial ever has the dad dancing down the aisle at one of their stores to 'The Most Wonderful Time of the Year' - for back to school sales 😀

Today wasn't bad. Wasn't too hectic, was a nice change of pace.
Title: Re: Union Friday Blues
Post by: Gusington on September 02, 2017, 02:53:19 PM
I would chalk that up in the 'victory' column.
Title: Re: Union Friday Blues
Post by: MengJiao on September 02, 2017, 04:23:34 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on September 01, 2017, 09:48:18 PM
I KNEW there was a reason I used to love this time of year. Football and 'Back to School'.  :D

  Looks like ARMAIII, BoS/M/K and maybe some Attila TW.
Title: Re: Union Friday Blues
Post by: Gusington on September 02, 2017, 05:46:00 PM
I am enjoying this ten year old campaign much more than I should be  :coolsmiley:

(https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/849347754930025966/867072E671F24FC54BB16B0D833EF3E96AB6CBF0/)


(https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/849347754930025850/CC0892E8E0124DC30C596A4DF58092087AA54F78/)


(https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/849347754930025759/C425EC43BA310097082495344EBF9F3794EA8B16/)

Title: Re: Union Friday Blues
Post by: Boggit on September 02, 2017, 06:27:20 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 01, 2017, 09:23:05 AM
Also, my neck and back has been really bad over the last month and a half ...
Cut back on your bedroom shenanigans of swinging from the chandelier! Mrs JH might be impressed by that but no wonder you've got a bad neck and back! ^-^ ;D
Title: Re: Union Friday Blues
Post by: Boggit on September 02, 2017, 06:30:25 PM
Quote from: Gusington on September 01, 2017, 02:03:07 PM
Continuing to smack around Fatimid Egypt as the Kingdom of Jerusalem in Medieval 2 Total War Crusades. 10 years on and it's still engrossing!
I still play it too, although I must confess I haven't played it for about 6 months or more. My Milanese campaign was going well, and like you say it's still engrossing.
Title: Re: Union Friday Blues
Post by: Boggit on September 02, 2017, 06:39:44 PM
10 Field of Glory MP games including one with Anguille, and it looks like he's off to a good start.
SB:FWW Gallipoli 8 with Cyrano, who is kicking the proverbial out of my Anzac's with Johnny Turk.
Pike and Shot with Sauron - My Louis IXV French against his William of Orange Dutch
Warhammer 40K with Sauron - My Orks vs his Humies. Of course, the devious Frog is winning decisively, much to his glee and my discomfort.
WinSPWW2 with me playing 1940 French vs his 1940 Germans. Going the way of the historical result to Sauron's delight. (Revenge no doubt for me always thrashing him at Field of Glory).
Very tempted, but eventually passed on joining Yskonyn's Dominions 4 fight. He needs another player and it sounds like it will be a blast.
Title: Re: Union Friday Blues
Post by: Gusington on September 03, 2017, 03:51:28 PM
The Kingdom of Jerusalem campaign has gone swimmingly. Played it almost the entire afternoon today  :buck2:

(https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/849347846140011561/3A7D1FDDF23D2E828CBE0A3677BD2A626A717C96/)
Title: Re: Union Friday Blues
Post by: Gusington on September 03, 2017, 03:53:16 PM
With Saladin dead, I cracked the campaign wide open. But with the Egyptians reeling, the Seljuk Turks tried to gain the advantage by declaring a jihad on Jerusalem itself! How dare they. I held them off  :nerd:

(https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/849347846140011764/51E30379AF1CA2542524B081F1E2B3E4AC0A2F37/)
Title: Re: Union Friday Blues
Post by: Gusington on September 03, 2017, 03:54:34 PM
For a 10 year old game it still looks great to me. Maybe I am old fashioned. After beating back the Turks I built a cathedral in honor of our great victory  \m/

(https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/849347846140012201/0B9E9DA0D77310490755883041DD89A89EB9AA11/)
Title: Re: Union Friday Blues
Post by: Gusington on September 03, 2017, 03:55:32 PM
...but the campaign appeared to still have some tricks up its sleeve  :-"

(https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/849347846140011885/FDB92580AE930E9707C221C741C7822585C10EA5/)
Title: Re: Union Friday Blues
Post by: Gusington on September 03, 2017, 03:56:19 PM
Mamluks make me nervous. Mongols make me more nervous. Oh dear.

(https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/849347846140012278/B6BDF3E77F259D2858F158F967C8737AE8AA3953/)
Title: Re: Union Friday Blues
Post by: Gusington on September 03, 2017, 03:58:08 PM
The Mongol threat really got me thinking...'damn I gotta wrap this up before they get here!' So I wiped the Mamluks out, seized my 16th province, and satisfied the victory conditions!  :bd:

(https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/849347846140012678/5FF003FFD1C93B0947970B8D7D83FFD051F49C97/)
Title: Re: Union Friday Blues
Post by: Gusington on September 03, 2017, 04:00:06 PM
Medieval 2 has still got it...after I recover from this victory, I think I will replay the Teutonic campaign - and then finally move on to the Warhammer campaign :D It will be cool to compare and contrast the games over the course of 10 years!

(https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/849347846140012439/81330A9916EB90E15D91518A41603615564B2404/)
Title: Re: Union Friday Blues
Post by: Arctic Blast on September 03, 2017, 07:56:47 PM
Been playing through Doom over the weekend. Man is that a great rebirth of a classic series.

Heading out to Radium Hot Springs on vacation tomorrow, but I'm taking Falling Sky, Gears of War, Terraforming Mars and Space Hulk : Death Angel with me for rainy day "I need to use every surface in this hotel room to fit this game" fun.  :)
Title: Re: Union Friday Blues
Post by: Sir Slash on September 03, 2017, 10:31:41 PM
Congrats on the win Gus.   O0  The Crusade Campaign is a real tough one to win. The Teutonic Knights are a real Mother to win. Very hard to make any money if I remember my feeble attempt correctly from so long ago. I miss this game. But I've found Age of Charlemagne to be a close relative. And a lot of fun. What about the New World Campaign for Medi TW 2? Gonna give it a try?
Title: Re: Union Friday Blues
Post by: Gusington on September 03, 2017, 10:38:53 PM
Never played the New World campaign...
Title: Re: Union Friday Blues
Post by: Sir Slash on September 03, 2017, 10:46:52 PM
Playing as the Indians was surprisingly enjoyable. Nothing funnier than a unit of Indian 12lb-ers.
Title: Re: Union Friday Blues
Post by: Gusington on September 04, 2017, 11:00:13 AM
What European factions are available? Spain only?
Title: Re: Union Friday Blues
Post by: Sir Slash on September 04, 2017, 11:06:12 AM
Yeah, Spain only if I remember correctly but I think England and or France may show-up on their own. Playable 'Native Americans' include Aztecs, Mayans, and I remember the Apache too. They're the ones that can adapt other factions tech including eventually gunpowder. Hard for me to remember it's been so long. Definitely the Crusades campaign was my favorite.
Title: Re: Union Friday Blues
Post by: Gusington on September 04, 2017, 02:35:52 PM
I liked them all (British Isles, Crusades, Teutonic) but the American Indian one never interested me...until now. Apache, eh?
Title: Re: Union Friday Blues
Post by: bbmike on September 04, 2017, 03:58:09 PM
Quote from: Gusington on September 02, 2017, 11:54:22 AM
The best Staples commercial ever has the dad dancing down the aisle at one of their stores to 'The Most Wonderful Time of the Year' - for back to school sales 😀

THE best back to school commercial was the Rubberband Man one from OfficeMax.  ^-^

Title: Re: Union Friday Blues
Post by: JasonPratt on September 04, 2017, 04:54:32 PM
Not only did Barth get Turn 8 back here, but Turn 9 as well! I've promptly sent over Turn 10; but if he wants to concentrate on his turn in our next Crisis Grogs game, that's fine.

Also, the Crisis Grogs have started our FIRE IN THE GROGS TOO game. I'll post videos two turns at a time; and naturally I'll get the video to DC:Blitz (both turns at once in summary) up and running by this weekend probably.

Tried out the new map generator in Ark: Survival Evolved which I was very impressed with for about ten minutes, until I stepped in a small indentation in the ground next to a rock and triggered some sort of temporal trap forcing me to run slowly in place forever.  :buck2: No real way to self-destruct that I can recall, not that early in the game anyway, and quitting and reloading didn't work -- back in the temporal bug.  :pullhair:

But I've barely played any of the official maps anyway, so I expect I'll just restart with the Ragnarok map, which is the largest, most diverse one so far.

Edited to add: oh, and Jamus beat me on a quick WH40K:Soulstorm scrimmage! -- his Space Marines beat the tar out of my randomly assigned Dark Eldar, which are the faction I've the least experience with but still he's improving is capabilities there!
Title: Re: Union Friday Blues
Post by: airboy on September 04, 2017, 05:34:33 PM
Congrats Gus!

I finished my second play-through of Burma.
Title: Re: Union Friday Blues
Post by: Gusington on September 04, 2017, 05:43:08 PM
^Thanks airboy!

HAHAHA bbmike what if I were to tell you that I am the Rubberband Man? That commercial is great...never seen it before.

'LEMANADE' hahaha

Title: Re: Union Friday Blues
Post by: mirth on September 04, 2017, 06:27:33 PM
Played some Star Wars Battlefront with my son. Fun time, but I really suck - especially at the flying parts.
Title: Re: Union Friday Blues
Post by: Kushan on September 04, 2017, 11:16:30 PM
3 day weekend and I did almost no gaming.  :'( Did get to catch up on some reading so theres that.

Not really sure what happened to my Saturday, mainly watched a few streams.

Sunday, bug bombed my house. Got a late start, by the time the house got fumigated, aired out, and cleaned all I wanted was a shower, food and sleep.

About the only gaming I did was today. Finally finished the ancient guardian mission on my main account in Elite. Now sitting a little under 200 million credits. Nothing compared to what most long time players have but not a bad chunk of change for when the Thargoids blow the bubble to hell. Also did in a quick flight from KSEA (Seattle) to KGEG (Spokane) in Prepar3d in the Aerosoft CRJ. Still trying to get a handle on it. Fun aircraft to fly but its got its quirks. Other then an hour or two of The Division here and there, not as much gaming as I'd have preferred.
Title: Re: Union Friday Blues
Post by: Gusington on September 05, 2017, 07:16:39 AM
Bug bombing counts as gaming.
Title: Re: Union Friday Blues
Post by: Sir Slash on September 05, 2017, 12:14:26 PM
If it's done via 500lb or 1000lb Bug Bombs dropped from B-24's. What's the best target for a Bug Bomb you ask? ANT-werp of course.
Title: Re: Union Friday Blues
Post by: airboy on September 05, 2017, 12:18:57 PM
Quote from: Gusington on September 05, 2017, 07:16:39 AM
Bug bombing counts as gaming.

Absolutely!  You destroyed the Klakons (or at least destroyed their troops and took territory).  Master of Orion is a great game!
Title: Re: Union Friday Blues
Post by: mirth on September 05, 2017, 12:19:44 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on September 05, 2017, 12:14:26 PM
If it's done via 500lb or 1000lb Bug Bombs dropped from B-24's. ANT-werp of course.

Not the Bug River?
Title: Re: Union Friday Blues
Post by: Sir Slash on September 05, 2017, 12:36:32 PM
That'd work too.
Title: Re: Union Friday Blues
Post by: Gusington on September 05, 2017, 01:22:53 PM
Make sure it's 'not just another bug hunt.'
Title: Re: Union Friday Blues
Post by: Crossroads on September 05, 2017, 02:00:38 PM
It's tuesday, and only now I realise there was a Blondie song out there  :timeout:  :smitten: