GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: SirAndrewD on September 02, 2017, 03:06:30 PM

Title: Peninsular War Battles on Steam
Post by: SirAndrewD on September 02, 2017, 03:06:30 PM
Just saw this pop up on my recommendations.  Hadn't heard about it until today.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/675950/Peninsular_War_Battles/

Seems to have a bit of an Age of Rifles vibe on just a quick look.  Anyone know anything more about it? 
Title: Re: Peninsular War Battles on Steam
Post by: Grim.Reaper on September 02, 2017, 04:24:02 PM
I am always very cautious of war games that pop out of nowhere.....especially when under $10.
Title: Re: Peninsular War Battles on Steam
Post by: SirAndrewD on September 02, 2017, 06:02:36 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 02, 2017, 04:24:02 PM
I am always very cautious of war games that pop out of nowhere.....especially when under $10.

Same here.   Especially with Steam's track record of vetting games.
Title: Re: Peninsular War Battles on Steam
Post by: Boggit on September 02, 2017, 06:16:28 PM
It's by Hexwar who did Slitherine's Field of Glory, which is a lot of fun. To be honest, I have little idea of what Hexwar's games are like. I've had a look at their website, and they look a bit generic, but I could be completely wrong and doing them an injustice. Has anyone played them?
Title: Re: Peninsular War Battles on Steam
Post by: Staggerwing on September 02, 2017, 06:29:30 PM
Wasn't Hexwar that web site where you could subscribe and then play their various in-house hex-based war-games head to head on the internet?
Title: Re: Peninsular War Battles on Steam
Post by: mirth on September 02, 2017, 06:52:42 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on September 02, 2017, 06:29:30 PM
Wasn't Hexwar that web site where you could subscribe and then play their various in-house hex-based war-games head to head on the internet?

That's what I was thinking. I remember them from 10-12 years ago.
Title: Re: Peninsular War Battles on Steam
Post by: Nefaro on September 03, 2017, 11:18:41 AM
Looks like a mobile game port.
Title: Re: Peninsular War Battles on Steam
Post by: jomni on September 03, 2017, 09:06:25 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on September 03, 2017, 11:18:41 AM
Looks like a mobile game port.
And they've done small Civil War battles too. Not sure if the rules are the same.
Title: Re: Peninsular War Battles on Steam
Post by: HoodedHorseJoe on September 04, 2017, 03:58:21 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on September 03, 2017, 11:18:41 AM
Looks like a mobile game port.

That's because it is.

HexWar has released a lot of games on iOS for tablets, and that's their primary market I think. Over the past few months (and for the foreseeable future), they're porting their existing library of games to Steam and Android devices. Peninsular War Battles was released on iOS back in 2015.
Title: Re: Peninsular War Battles on Steam
Post by: MC on September 04, 2017, 08:08:27 AM
Just go to the Peninsular war link above, scroll down until you see "Developer: HexWar Games" on the sidebar and click on that. It will give you a list of everything they currently have available on steam. Most of their stuff is wargaming-lite, depends on your preference.
Title: Re: Peninsular War Battles on Steam
Post by: JasonPratt on September 06, 2017, 02:37:33 PM
They have some boardgame conversions, too, which tend to cost more money; 1776 for example (north and south campaigns, I forget which is the DLC, south I think?)
Title: Re: Peninsular War Battles on Steam
Post by: Jarhead0331 on September 06, 2017, 04:01:25 PM
I have bought a number of the Hexwar games for iOS and have found all of them to be boring and overly formulaic. Just not my cup of tea. 
Title: Re: Peninsular War Battles on Steam
Post by: MC on September 06, 2017, 08:00:29 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 06, 2017, 04:01:25 PM
I have bought a number of the Hexwar games for iOS and have found all of them to be boring and overly formulaic. Just not my cup of tea.

That pretty much sums up my thoughts on it too.
Title: Re: Peninsular War Battles on Steam
Post by: Philippe on September 06, 2017, 11:57:03 PM
I was feeling guilty because I hadn't finished my Peninsular War mod (though I've finally managed to construct most of the key components).  So I hoped that if I bought this game it might inspire me put in the necessary hours. 

Was I ever wrong.  I've become more tolerant of beer and pretzels over the years, but this was too much.  If they'd invested half the effort into modeling Napoleonic warfare that they put into the graphics, it would be a great game.  But it's not.

I played it for half an hour and then put in for a refund.

And if anyone's wondering, Steam refunds very quickly (almost instantly) if you uninstal before asking for your money back.
Title: Re: Peninsular War Battles on Steam
Post by: SirAndrewD on September 07, 2017, 08:03:44 PM
Quote from: Philippe on September 06, 2017, 11:57:03 PM
I was feeling guilty because I hadn't finished my Peninsular War mod (though I've finally managed to construct most of the key components).  So I hoped that if I bought this game it might inspire me put in the necessary hours. 

Was I ever wrong.  I've become more tolerant of beer and pretzels over the years, but this was too much.  If they'd invested half the effort into modeling Napoleonic warfare that they put into the graphics, it would be a great game.  But it's not.

I played it for half an hour and then put in for a refund.

And if anyone's wondering, Steam refunds very quickly (almost instantly) if you uninstal before asking for your money back.

Kind of what I'd feared.  Style over substance.  Thanks for being the Guinea Pig on this one though.