GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: DennisS on September 02, 2017, 06:13:03 PM

Title: Lords of Waterdeep
Post by: DennisS on September 02, 2017, 06:13:03 PM
...is now on Steam, for about 11$. Two expansions are also available.

This is our families go-to board game on weekends. D&D fantasy setting, with excellent gameplay mechanics.

The PC version can be played online, or offline, with 1-6 players for each. Highly recommended.
Title: Re: Lords of Waterdeep
Post by: Boggit on September 02, 2017, 06:21:11 PM
It looks quite different. What sells you on it?
Title: Re: Lords of Waterdeep
Post by: DennisS on September 04, 2017, 04:09:21 PM
Quote from: Boggit on September 02, 2017, 06:21:11 PM
It looks quite different. What sells you on it?

Both expansions are available, and the gameplay is IDENTICAL to the board game.

I played my first full game, and got sixth place out of six. These guys are good!
Title: Re: Lords of Waterdeep
Post by: JasonPratt on September 04, 2017, 04:17:16 PM
I've seen people on Steam complaining about the UI, tho.

I've already got it for the iPhone -- though never played it. Playdek earned a lot of good will from me, for Twilight Struggle (a nearly flawless adapation, at least on PC?) and Agricola (on the iOS, which I'd like to see ported to PC).
Title: Re: Lords of Waterdeep
Post by: Moreb on September 04, 2017, 08:35:20 PM
I played this quite a bit on an apple product. I remember it being a fun eurogame with a D&D backdrop. The game play is not dependent on D&D at all and that LoW uses that system as artistic flavor only, albeit very well. The same game (collecting cubes) could have been tied to any number of settings.

It is however a solid title and the digital version was hard as hell. The A.I. has sound strategy and will punish unwise moves.

Worth 11 Krackel bars? Maybe.
Title: Re: Lords of Waterdeep
Post by: DennisS on September 06, 2017, 06:23:41 PM
Quote from: Moreb on September 04, 2017, 08:35:20 PM
I played this quite a bit on an apple product. I remember it being a fun eurogame with a D&D backdrop. The game play is not dependent on D&D at all and that LoW uses that system as artistic flavor only, albeit very well. The same game (collecting cubes) could have been tied to any number of settings.

It is however a solid title and the digital version was hard as hell. The A.I. has sound strategy and will punish unwise moves.

Worth 11 Krackel bars? Maybe.

I got my ass handed to me again, twice in two games. Well...third place out of six, but I expected to do better.
Title: Re: Lords of Waterdeep
Post by: Moreb on September 06, 2017, 07:27:24 PM
Quote from: DennisS on September 06, 2017, 06:23:41 PM
Quote from: Moreb on September 04, 2017, 08:35:20 PM
I played this quite a bit on an apple product. I remember it being a fun eurogame with a D&D backdrop. The game play is not dependent on D&D at all and that LoW uses that system as artistic flavor only, albeit very well. The same game (collecting cubes) could have been tied to any number of settings.

It is however a solid title and the digital version was hard as hell. The A.I. has sound strategy and will punish unwise moves.

Worth 11 Krackel bars? Maybe.

I got my ass handed to me again, twice in two games. Well...third place out of six, but I expected to do better.

They actually toned down the A.I. some time ago because people complained about the difficulty. You need a good draw to win. Maybe so much so the it may seem like a punishing RNG. I found taking stones from enemy players a worthwhile endeavor at times.
Title: Re: Lords of Waterdeep
Post by: DennisS on September 07, 2017, 06:24:02 PM
Quote from: Moreb on September 06, 2017, 07:27:24 PM
Quote from: DennisS on September 06, 2017, 06:23:41 PM
Quote from: Moreb on September 04, 2017, 08:35:20 PM
I played this quite a bit on an apple product. I remember it being a fun eurogame with a D&D backdrop. The game play is not dependent on D&D at all and that LoW uses that system as artistic flavor only, albeit very well. The same game (collecting cubes) could have been tied to any number of settings.

It is however a solid title and the digital version was hard as hell. The A.I. has sound strategy and will punish unwise moves.

Worth 11 Krackel bars? Maybe.

If you want a difficult board to pc conversion, play Elder Sign. Haven't won yet, even once, in more than 20 tries.
I got my ass handed to me again, twice in two games. Well...third place out of six, but I expected to do better.

They actually toned down the A.I. some time ago because people complained about the difficulty. You need a good draw to win. Maybe so much so the it may seem like a punishing RNG. I found taking stones from enemy players a worthwhile endeavor at times.
Title: Re: Lords of Waterdeep
Post by: Moreb on September 07, 2017, 07:31:46 PM
QuoteIf you want a difficult board to pc conversion, play Elder Sign.

That does look good. At $3.99, not much of a risk.