GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: ikrananka on September 05, 2017, 09:21:21 AM

Title: The Atomic Games Legacy : V for Victory
Post by: ikrananka on September 05, 2017, 09:21:21 AM
I'm pleased to announce that I have just published the first video in a series covering the incredible wargaming legacy left by Atomic Games.  This first video covers the creation of Atomic Games in 1989 and the development and release of their first game in the V for Victory series, D-Day : Utah Beach.

I spent a lot of time researching this video and I believe there may well be some things in the video that you didn't know before.

I hope that you enjoy this video and that you find it informative.  Please let me know what you think in the video comments section or by replying here to this forum post.


Title: Re: The Atomic Games Legacy : V for Victory
Post by: Rayfer on September 05, 2017, 09:48:38 AM
Fascinating and interesting...well done! Thanks.
Title: Re: The Atomic Games Legacy : V for Victory
Post by: Boggit on September 05, 2017, 05:50:30 PM
Some great research, and a very nice presentation too. Thanks for sharing. :bd:
Title: Re: The Atomic Games Legacy : V for Victory
Post by: Greybriar on September 05, 2017, 10:20:44 PM
Atomic Games were great back in the day. I still own nearly all of the boxed editions of the company's games (http://www.mobygames.com/company/atomic-games-inc).

Thanks for sharing the link to the YouTube video. O0
Title: Re: The Atomic Games Legacy : V for Victory
Post by: Oche on September 06, 2017, 06:16:29 AM
Thank you for sharing this.
Title: Re: The Atomic Games Legacy : V for Victory
Post by: rocketman on September 06, 2017, 01:45:24 PM
A very well made high quality video that was a trip down memory lane. Looking forward to the next episode  :bd:
Title: Re: The Atomic Games Legacy : V for Victory
Post by: ikrananka on September 06, 2017, 01:48:01 PM
Thanks guys - really appreciating the great feedback :)
Title: Re: The Atomic Games Legacy : V for Victory
Post by: mirth on September 06, 2017, 01:51:53 PM
Excellent work!  O0
Title: Re: The Atomic Games Legacy : V for Victory
Post by: RyanE on September 06, 2017, 02:18:04 PM
Makes me want to dig out the 5-1/4" and 3.5" disks in the attic.
Title: Re: The Atomic Games Legacy : V for Victory
Post by: Ian C on September 06, 2017, 02:40:24 PM
Great! Where can I get it?
Title: Re: The Atomic Games Legacy : V for Victory
Post by: mirth on September 06, 2017, 02:52:16 PM
Quote from: Ian C on September 06, 2017, 02:40:24 PM
Great! Where can I get it?

KB Toys, Software Etc, Circuit City and many other fine retailers!
Title: Re: The Atomic Games Legacy : V for Victory
Post by: bbmike on September 06, 2017, 03:00:06 PM
Don't forget my favorite, Electronics Boutique!
Title: Re: The Atomic Games Legacy : V for Victory
Post by: Staggerwing on September 06, 2017, 05:59:00 PM
Quote from: bbmike on September 06, 2017, 03:00:06 PM
Don't forget my favorite, Electronics Boutique!

Pretty sure I got Operation Crusader there.
Title: Re: The Atomic Games Legacy : V for Victory
Post by: mirth on September 06, 2017, 06:08:08 PM
It's funny how much has changed in 10-15 years. I used to go to Gamestop and EB at least once a week.
Title: Re: The Atomic Games Legacy : V for Victory
Post by: Hot lead and dirty talk! on September 06, 2017, 10:07:59 PM
Egghead Software and Babagges
Title: Re: The Atomic Games Legacy : V for Victory
Post by: Bardolph on September 06, 2017, 10:10:33 PM
Quote from: mirth on September 06, 2017, 02:52:16 PM
Quote from: Ian C on September 06, 2017, 02:40:24 PM
Great! Where can I get it?

KB Toys, Software Etc, Circuit City and many other fine retailers!

Man I miss KB Toys. They used to carry Avalon Hill, SPI and even GDW and Yaquinto occasionally. When they went out of business the local store had a stack of Avalon Hill stuff, mostly a bunch of copies of 3 games, Conquistador, Fortress Europa (which I foolishly passed on) and Gunslinger, for $5 a copy. I bought 8 copies of Gunslinger so we could play double blind, which while somewhat tedious, was hilarious.
Title: Re: The Atomic Games Legacy : V for Victory
Post by: mirth on September 06, 2017, 10:20:16 PM
I bought AH  Jutland at KB toys for under$10. I foolishly sold on a yard sale a few years later.
Title: Re: The Atomic Games Legacy : V for Victory
Post by: MikeGER on September 07, 2017, 02:24:11 AM
Quote from: rocketman on September 06, 2017, 01:45:24 PM
A very well made high quality video that was a trip down memory lane. Looking forward to the next episode  :bd:
+10  O0

...i am feeling old now, but in a good not depressed way ...those were the days:)
Title: Re: The Atomic Games Legacy : V for Victory
Post by: spelk on September 07, 2017, 04:51:09 AM
Quote from: ikrananka on September 06, 2017, 01:48:01 PM
Thanks guys - really appreciating the great feedback :)

Interesting video, thanks for sharing. I linked it up to the /r/computerwargames reddit.
Title: Re: The Atomic Games Legacy : V for Victory
Post by: Rayfer on September 07, 2017, 07:29:59 AM
Quote from: spelk on September 07, 2017, 04:51:09 AM
Quote from: ikrananka on September 06, 2017, 01:48:01 PM
Thanks guys - really appreciating the great feedback :)

Interesting video, thanks for sharing. I linked it up to the /r/computerwargames reddit.

Hey spelK...I discovered that site a few months ago and love it. Being retired I get to check it nearly everyday. The video AAR's are great. Thanks for your work on that site.   :notworthy:
Title: Re: The Atomic Games Legacy : V for Victory
Post by: Ian C on September 07, 2017, 07:56:50 AM
Play in browser.

http://www.myabandonware.com/game/v-for-victory-gold-juno-sword-1mm/play-1mm
Title: Re: The Atomic Games Legacy : V for Victory
Post by: spelk on September 07, 2017, 11:25:17 AM
Quote from: Rayfer on September 07, 2017, 07:29:59 AM
Hey spelK...I discovered that site a few months ago and love it. Being retired I get to check it nearly everyday. The video AAR's are great. Thanks for your work on that site.   :notworthy:

Thanks for the kind words Rayfer!

Sometimes too many videos get people's backs up, but I remember a time, when I had nothing in the video department to post up there! I would have one or two blog posts every couple of weeks! Now, we have quite a few enthusiastic wargame streamers who post up multi-part epics that I try to keep up with using an RSS feed reader and a IFTTT.com recipe to make tagging and posting up easy enough to do it on a daily basis.

If you (or anyone) knows of a good computer wargame streamer that isn't listed, let me know.. I'll stick them into my checking rotation for the benefit of the whole community.

I've already put the OP Ikrananka into my rotation now, after his sterling video effort at this title.
Title: Re: The Atomic Games Legacy : V for Victory
Post by: Slick Wilhelm on September 07, 2017, 04:23:21 PM
What a great trip down memory lane this has been. Outstanding video presentation!  :smitten:

Those were the heady days of 2 MB of RAM and 20 MB hard drives. I sure don't miss the EMM386 memory manager, config.sys and autoexec.bat, though.  #:-)