I searched the database and could not find a thread dedicated to Dominions 4. Of course the search function requires all words to have more than one letter which makes sequels even harder to find but after 8 pages searching through the various Dominions results I shall start my own.
/Disclaimer
I've had Dominions 4 on my HD for a while and have occasionally fired it up briefly to be both overwhelmed and underwhelmed before quietly putting it back into slumber. Whatever the reasons, I never tried to understand and learn the game system. It sure doesn't seem like a noob friendly title. The rudimentary graphics certainly don't help so I stare at this odd map with lines and strange scrolling wonering what the hell I'm supposed to be doing? Is this an army building game? Nation building? RPG? What?
A thread here at Grogs (tm) looking for players included a link to the Dominions 4 Inspector and after downloading it last night I was floored at the multitude of Items, Units, Spells and locations. I just have to try this again.
With all that gibberish in mind a few question;
1) What is the draw to play Dominions 4? Nostalgia? Or is it that good of a game?
2) Where would you point a new player to go that best helps him learn the game?
This seems expansive http://steamcommunity.com/app/259060/discussions/0/558747287591670058/
3) Is there a good beginners scenario that only includes the basics or is it an all or nothing game?
4) WTH should I do on that odd map?
5) Are there titles out there with the plethora of items, spells etc. that are similar to Dominions but maybe more ...er....modern?
EDIT FOR 6) Would you consider this primarily a min/max centric game? I hope it is not.
Thanks in advance.
Moreb,
In my opinion, Dominions 4 is superb. Quite possibly the best fantasy strategy game ever made. A note of caution - Dominions has a very steep learning curve. However there are numerous very good "how to play" videos on YouTube. One of my 5 favorite games of all time.
I'm surprised this thread hadn't garnered more interest. I thought it would be at least 28 pages long by the time I returned from work.
I've decided to dedicate some time to the system. I need a break from CO:2 and GT:MF anyways. I was watching an excellent multiplayer series on youtube last night until I fell asleep.
I think Dominions 4 tends to get lumped into Dominions 3 threads. Plus there is a sub-forum dedicated to Dom3 and organized play.
BTW, these look like good starting videos. Plus, the chap is English so when he talks it seems to give an air of importance to this uncultured hick.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fecdn.funzypics.com%2Fgrumpycatmemes%2Fpics%2F24%2FCute-Baby-Trying-To-Speak-With-A-British-Accent-Funny-Picture.jpg&hash=73bd99ad22d8678af2122f8632c8364ee783bb63)
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9uXrJE8BRZK_mu6qvOWgwDnvaZWjVLMr
Quote from: Bison on September 07, 2017, 07:43:40 PM
I think Dominions 4 tends to get lumped into Dominions 3 threads. Plus there is a sub-forum dedicated to Dom3 and organized play.
Yeah? On these forums?
Yup. Its located here http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?board=47.0 amigo. Its not the most active sub-forum, but I know that several of the members here will answer questions if you post them down there.
I keep Dominions 3 on my laptop. Everytime I go on a cruise I end up playing it a lot.
Quote from: airboy on September 07, 2017, 08:17:52 PM
I keep Dominions 3 on my laptop. Everytime I go on a cruise I end up playing it a lot.
I've got both, but I only use Dom4 now. Dom4 has all the Dom3 stuff plus more. It is definitely worth picking up, although if you've already got Dom3 get it in a sale. If not Dom4 is an amazingly deep yet playable fantasy wargame. O0
Quote from: Bison on September 07, 2017, 08:03:56 PM
Yup. Its located here http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?board=47.0 amigo. Its not the most active sub-forum, but I know that several of the members here will answer questions if you post them down there.
Good deal. Thanks. I now have a plethora of information to go through. The wife and I our going to our country home for some well needed R&R. I plan on dedicating the weekend to D4. That's the plan anyhow,
Been awhile since I played, but I always keep Dom 4 installed on at least my laptop. Love how much freakin' stuff is packed into it. :clap:
A few beginner tips:
1) Read the descriptions on everything.
I don't remember whether it's right- or left-click, but you can do so on the name of nearly every statistic to get an in-depth explanation of how it works. Same for all the trait symbols, which are very important, and other such things.
2) Download the Dom 4 pdf manual. It has tons of info on how things work and, just as importantly, has well-organized tables of unit & spell stats which can help you figure out what builds you want to focus on later, when you start getting more serious. If nothing else, use it as occasional reference.
3) As usual.. run the Tutorial the first time. It will teach you some important UI methodology that will be very helpful. Such as how to set up the troops in your armies and the hotkeys & methods for moving multiples of various types, which will save you lots of time.
Quote from: Boggit on September 07, 2017, 08:43:52 PM
Quote from: airboy on September 07, 2017, 08:17:52 PM
I keep Dominions 3 on my laptop. Everytime I go on a cruise I end up playing it a lot.
I've got both, but I only use Dom4 now. Dom4 has all the Dom3 stuff plus more. It is definitely worth picking up, although if you've already got Dom3 get it in a sale. If not Dom4 is an amazingly deep yet playable fantasy wargame. O0
I have both. But I've spent so long learning to play a couple of the D3 factions well that I've stuck with it.
I didn't play after Dom2, but have followed the series for quite a while. One of its greatest strengths is that different factions play VERY differently. When perusing the threads, look for some recommendations on a couple good races/periods to play.
Once you get the mechanics of the game, it's quite good. Dom2 involved a lot of fiddling, which I enjoyed at the time. I have no idea if the subsequent games improved on that, or just gave us vastly more factions, items, Pretenders, and spells to play with... :D
Quote from: FarAway Sooner on September 08, 2017, 12:39:11 AM
I didn't play after Dom2, but have followed the series for quite a while. One of its greatest strengths is that different factions play VERY differently. When perusing the threads, look for some recommendations on a couple good races/periods to play.
Once you get the mechanics of the game, it's quite good. Dom2 involved a lot of fiddling, which I enjoyed at the time. I have no idea if the subsequent games improved on that, or just gave us vastly more factions, items, Pretenders, and spells to play with... :D
The later ones just added more & more. With some nice little improvements, but nothing that radically changed the concept.
I'm wondering why people are still playing the old ones, instead of moving up to Dom 4, if they liked the previous ones.
Dominions is a nice game, but I can't justify paying full freight for something that probably should have been included as a patch or at least a DLC.
Quote from: Philippe on September 08, 2017, 04:15:53 PM
Dominions is a nice game, but I can't justify paying full freight for something that probably should have been included as a patch or at least a DLC.
Last time I saw it in on sale it was very affordable. Stick it in wishlist, then make a judgement whether the price suits when it next comes up on sale.
Quote from: Boggit on September 09, 2017, 08:27:56 PM
Quote from: Philippe on September 08, 2017, 04:15:53 PM
Dominions is a nice game, but I can't justify paying full freight for something that probably should have been included as a patch or at least a DLC.
Last time I saw it in on sale it was very affordable. Stick it in wishlist, then make a judgement whether the price suits when it next comes up on sale.
Was under $10 in the last sale, IIRC.
Quote from: Nefaro on September 09, 2017, 11:27:10 PM
Quote from: Boggit on September 09, 2017, 08:27:56 PM
Quote from: Philippe on September 08, 2017, 04:15:53 PM
Dominions is a nice game, but I can't justify paying full freight for something that probably should have been included as a patch or at least a DLC.
Last time I saw it in on sale it was very affordable. Stick it in wishlist, then make a judgement whether the price suits when it next comes up on sale.
Was under $10 in the last sale, IIRC.
I have to ask.
Are you no good Missouri scum?
Quote from: Moreb on September 11, 2017, 04:44:59 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on September 09, 2017, 11:27:10 PM
Quote from: Boggit on September 09, 2017, 08:27:56 PM
Quote from: Philippe on September 08, 2017, 04:15:53 PM
Dominions is a nice game, but I can't justify paying full freight for something that probably should have been included as a patch or at least a DLC.
Last time I saw it in on sale it was very affordable. Stick it in wishlist, then make a judgement whether the price suits when it next comes up on sale.
Was under $10 in the last sale, IIRC.
I have to ask.
Are you no good Missouri scum?
;)
~~>
(https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-MtNvc1IBNqw/V5O6B6LygYI/AAAAAAAA4V8/Q980WAoyXq8eB-monUM4XiVkRLzwHwNPgCLcB/s1600/c3.jpg)
It certainly takes one to know one.
SHOW ME BABY
BTW, I went through a ton of video tutorial's this weekend and even played a few turns and those who like this game are a bunch of sick mother******s. but so far it looks like I am too. My 1080 graphics card is stuggling though :2funny:
'Which pixel is my commander?'
Quote from: Moreb on September 11, 2017, 04:56:28 PM
BTW, I went through a ton of video tutorial's this weekend and even played a few turns and those who like this game are a bunch of sick mother******s. but so far it looks like I am too. My 1080 graphics card is stuggling though :2funny:
'Which pixel is my commander?'
Wargamers are mental masochists. Can't get enough. Even when the 2D pixel graphics are making our $350 video cards push maximum heat levels, in order to sustain 60fps, it isn't enough.
Quote from: Boggit on September 07, 2017, 08:43:52 PM
Quote from: airboy on September 07, 2017, 08:17:52 PM
I keep Dominions 3 on my laptop. Everytime I go on a cruise I end up playing it a lot.
I've got both, but I only use Dom4 now. Dom4 has all the Dom3 stuff plus more. It is definitely worth picking up, although if you've already got Dom3 get it in a sale. If not Dom4 is an amazingly deep yet playable fantasy wargame. O0
Not True. domIV has fewer races and dominions-lacks BDM and custom map downloads are lacking. DomIII overs far more complex God/Dominion choices and a much larger Strategic play. I much perfer DomIII with BDM ovewr DomIV--which quite never got the balancing DomIII recieved.