GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: MetalDog on September 15, 2017, 05:47:38 AM

Title: Did you ever hear, the one about FRI-DAY
Post by: MetalDog on September 15, 2017, 05:47:38 AM



No surprise to anyone, I have some Civ IV BtS mp on tap.  There will be lawn mowing, house cleaning and football, not in that order.
Title: Re: Did you ever hear, the one about FRI-DAY
Post by: Jarhead0331 on September 15, 2017, 05:52:27 AM
Never could get into the Black Crows. A few seconds is all that made the difference between this and good music I was about to post.  :crazy2:

Probably more Polaris Sector, more Destiny 2 and maybe some Xcom 2 War of the Chosen.
Title: Re: Did you ever hear, the one about FRI-DAY
Post by: bob48 on September 15, 2017, 05:56:34 AM


Joe Bonamassa and Jason Bonham.....what's not to like  ;D

I'll be playing OCS 'Tunisia II' and maybe some 'For the King'
Title: Re: Did you ever hear, the one about FRI-DAY
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 15, 2017, 05:59:39 AM
Well, probably Madden NFL 18 and MLB The Show 17 on PS4 and some F1 2017 and Polaris Sector on PC.

Outside of that I'll probably be starting my Space 1999 Eagle build
Title: Re: Did you ever hear, the one about FRI-DAY
Post by: MetalDog on September 15, 2017, 06:20:34 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 15, 2017, 05:52:27 AM
Never could get into the Black Crows. A few seconds is all that made the difference between this and good music I was about to post.  :crazy2:



I have heard some of what you consider, 'good.'  Glad I got here first ;)
Title: Re: Did you ever hear, the one about FRI-DAY
Post by: FlickJax on September 15, 2017, 06:39:43 AM
Fm2017, may be Age Of Wonders III if I pick up the expansions
Title: Re: Did you ever hear, the one about FRI-DAY
Post by: Barthheart on September 15, 2017, 06:56:50 AM
All the talk of Polaris Sector ahs got be back into the game. Some nice changes since I've been away.

Waiting on Jason to return the DC1: Warsaw to Paris turn 11... not that I can complain as I'm usually the slow one. Coming down to the wire and it's gonna be a close race.

Bailed on the Fire in the Lake VASSAL game. Sorry guys, it just wasn't clicking with me at all.

On the table is LnLP new Heroes of North Africa. Beautiful production value. Lots and lots of maps and counters and scenarios in a 3" deep box. Nothing like plowing through the sand, kicking up dust clouds and blasting away with Italians, Germans, Brits, Yanks, and Vichy French.

For yard work, this weekend will probably spell the end for a couple dead trees in the backyard.
Title: Re: Did you ever hear, the one about FRI-DAY
Post by: OJsDad on September 15, 2017, 07:06:52 AM
Wife brought home a pickup load of apples and is wanting to make applesauce and apple butter this weekend, so that'll cut into my gaming time.

When I do play, I'll be playing CKII, Polaris Sector, Stellars, and 7 Days to Die. 
Title: Re: Did you ever hear, the one about FRI-DAY
Post by: jamus34 on September 15, 2017, 07:23:27 AM
I started a new game in Polaris Sector too, mostly based on the resurrection of its thread. Beyond that I'd like to try get some Skyrim, Fallout 4 and or Pillers of Eternity in but I doubt my attention span will allow.
Title: Re: Did you ever hear, the one about FRI-DAY
Post by: Rayfer on September 15, 2017, 07:43:29 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on September 15, 2017, 06:20:34 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 15, 2017, 05:52:27 AM
Never could get into the Black Crows. A few seconds is all that made the difference between this and good music I was about to post.  :crazy2:



I have heard some of what you consider, 'good.'  Glad I got here first ;)

+1   :2funny:
Title: Re: Did you ever hear, the one about FRI-DAY
Post by: JasonPratt on September 15, 2017, 07:48:03 AM
Working on a DC:Blitz catchup episode before I move along to the current turn, so that I won't get too far behind on my AAR.

Playing some various mp pickup games.

Would like to get started on my Red Thunder mp with Ysk, which promises to be hilarious!

Studying the rules to Successors so that the Crisis Grogs can try that Vassal game out.

Relatedly, we have an opening in our Fire in the Lake Vassal game right now, if anyone would like to drop in as a US player who would have won this turn if we were playing a fully competitive game instead of a full team game.  :coolsmiley:

Working on solving the new worker-placement somewhat puzzleish historical civ game Pre-dynastic Civilization, which plays a lot like a solitaire board game. (As does its older siblings.)

Maybe finishing out the tutorial mission set, in the campaign of Afghanistan '11.  :smitten:
Title: Re: Did you ever hear, the one about FRI-DAY
Post by: bbmike on September 15, 2017, 08:07:40 AM
Quote from: OJsDad on September 15, 2017, 07:06:52 AM
Wife brought home a pickup load of apples and is wanting to make applesauce and apple butter this weekend...

That works. It's what mirth would call playing a Eurogame.  :P

Title: Re: Did you ever hear, the one about FRI-DAY
Post by: Gusington on September 15, 2017, 08:19:36 AM
Got a little bored with Path of Exile, so I may go back to Pillars of Eternity for a bit and/or Enderal for Skyrim...I am basically biding my time until Shadow of War comes out. Could also use something scary to play.
Title: Re: Did you ever hear, the one about FRI-DAY
Post by: mirth on September 15, 2017, 08:26:03 AM
Quote from: bbmike on September 15, 2017, 08:07:40 AM
Quote from: OJsDad on September 15, 2017, 07:06:52 AM
Wife brought home a pickup load of apples and is wanting to make applesauce and apple butter this weekend...

That works. It's what mirth would call playing a Eurogame.  :P

Better. At least you get applesauce out of it.

Title: Re: Did you ever hear, the one about FRI-DAY
Post by: mirth on September 15, 2017, 08:27:03 AM
Quote from: Gusington on September 15, 2017, 08:19:36 AM
Could also use something scary to play.

Did you ever finish Alien: Isolation?
Title: Re: Did you ever hear, the one about FRI-DAY
Post by: Gusington on September 15, 2017, 08:35:35 AM
yup
Title: Re: Did you ever hear, the one about FRI-DAY
Post by: mirth on September 15, 2017, 08:39:02 AM
And your shorts remained unsoiled?
Title: Re: Did you ever hear, the one about FRI-DAY
Post by: jamus34 on September 15, 2017, 09:02:57 AM
Quote from: mirth on September 15, 2017, 08:39:02 AM
And your shorts remained unsoiled?

Was going to ask how many pairs of undergarments this playthrough took
Title: Re: Did you ever hear, the one about FRI-DAY
Post by: Gusington on September 15, 2017, 09:08:40 AM
You people wear pants when you play frightening games? I don't, and eliminate the middle man.
Title: Re: Did you ever hear, the one about FRI-DAY
Post by: FlickJax on September 15, 2017, 09:21:19 AM
I hope you sit on a pad atleast Gus :)
Title: Re: Did you ever hear, the one about FRI-DAY
Post by: mirth on September 15, 2017, 09:24:39 AM
He plays all his games while on the toilet.
Title: Re: Did you ever hear, the one about FRI-DAY
Post by: Gusington on September 15, 2017, 09:34:09 AM
Pads are for the weak.
Title: Re: Did you ever hear, the one about FRI-DAY
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on September 15, 2017, 09:50:14 AM
Plugging away at my marathon game of Stellaris using the Star Trek New Horizons mod.  I'm playing as the Romulans and having a great time despite the length.  I'm about 70 hours into my campaign  according to Steam and maybe 15-20% done.  Just about to launch a sneak attack on the Sheliaks while they're busy fighting another war against the Federation but I know as soon as I do that, the aklingons will see I'm committted to a war and sneak attack me.

I was hopeful my to run a big Sails of Glory minis game tomorrow at a local game store but too many people had to bail on it for one reason or another and were down to only 4 players so we might do Wings of Glory instead.

4 player game of Star Trek Ascendancy on Sunday.  Should be fun.  It's a great board game.
Title: Re: Did you ever hear, the one about FRI-DAY
Post by: OJsDad on September 15, 2017, 10:00:09 AM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on September 15, 2017, 09:50:14 AM
Plugging away at my marathon game of Stellaris using the Star Trek New Horizons mod.  I'm playing as the Romulans and having a great time despite the length.  I'm about 70 hours into my campaign  according to Steam and maybe 15-20% done.  Just about to launch a sneak attack on the Sheliaks while they're busy fighting another war against the Federation but I know as soon as I do that, the aklingons will see I'm committted to a war and sneak attack me.

I just downloaded this mod, and looking forward to lead the Gorn to glory. 
Title: Re: Did you ever hear, the one about FRI-DAY
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on September 15, 2017, 10:21:39 AM
It's a great mod but still needs work.  Lots of missing text and placeholder graphics and file names.  I had about 40 hours in on my game as the Klingons when they released an update that broke saves.  That was annoying!  I did try the Gorn out but found them tough going as they start out at the very end of a spiral arm and don't really have anywhere to expand except into the Klingons. 
Title: Re: Did you ever hear, the one about FRI-DAY
Post by: Cyrano on September 15, 2017, 11:54:01 AM
Second verse, same as the first:

Borderlands: Pre-Sequel ...finishing up the Claptrap DLC by over-levelling the final boss, as one does.

JTS Jena (x2)

SB: WWI should Boggit emerge from under the table long enough to fire me a turn

1806 KS...nighttime coming and that means FATIGUE CALCULATION (hurrah) -- BTW, Boney, call your office.

Boardgame project I've put off for two weekends and will COMPLETE this weekend!!



.
Title: Re: Did you ever hear, the one about FRI-DAY
Post by: Cyrano on September 15, 2017, 11:58:17 AM
Oh, hey, @SDR:  What's your maximum ships-per-person in SoG?

I'll be running Ortegal for the anniversary and wanted to figure out how many I "needed".

Thanks,

JIm
Title: Re: Did you ever hear, the one about FRI-DAY
Post by: JasonPratt on September 15, 2017, 12:10:05 PM
Quote from: Gusington on September 15, 2017, 08:19:36 AM
Could also use something scary to play.

Necro-thread yearly re-incarnation! (http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=20479.0)
Title: Re: Did you ever hear, the one about FRI-DAY
Post by: Gusington on September 15, 2017, 12:33:28 PM
Thanks Pratt!
Title: Re: Did you ever hear, the one about FRI-DAY
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on September 15, 2017, 12:59:49 PM
Quote from: Cyrano on September 15, 2017, 11:58:17 AM
Oh, hey, @SDR:  What's your maximum ships-per-person in SoG?

I'll be running Ortegal for the anniversary and wanted to figure out how many I "needed".

Thanks,

JIm

Two ships max.  I've found in the past that even two can be problematic.  I've had a few people say they found running two ships to be too much and this made the game frustrating, not fun.
Title: Re: Did you ever hear, the one about FRI-DAY
Post by: airboy on September 15, 2017, 02:42:20 PM
I'm starting Armada 2526 - one of the many games I've not played at all.  I've finished reading the rules and worked through the tutorial.

I hope to draw the maps for the first couple of battles in my Call of Cthulhu scenario I'm designing for Origins.  I've got all of the initial mystery stuff and characters designed.
Title: Re: Did you ever hear, the one about FRI-DAY
Post by: Wolfe1759 on September 15, 2017, 04:10:18 PM
airboy - Armada 2526 is a fun game, if you haven't got the Gold version then Supernova is a very worthwhile addition to the base game.

For me some more Master of Orion modded with 5X and UTP, a bit more Strategic Command and possibly some Empires of Steel.
Title: Re: Did you ever hear, the one about FRI-DAY
Post by: CJReich46 on September 15, 2017, 06:11:28 PM
Well,

I am off as of now, and Saturday but working Sunday.

Gaming wise? I am currently in my game of Polaris Sector (open beta) and it is going rather well. I must have gotten lucky with the neighbors because the only one that right next door is the Vagalars (Koala) they're friendly, they don't seem to intrude in my territory. Gavakens (Birdies) and Urgans are systems away. No problems with either of them. Although somehow I managed to tweak the Erians, and I have no idea why but they're mad, and they are on the far side of the galaxy as it is.

Title: Re: Did you ever hear, the one about FRI-DAY
Post by: Destraex on September 15, 2017, 11:11:25 PM
Just played a little ARENA total war.

(https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4358/36415318624_794a78f41b_b.jpg)
(https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4381/36415318154_5de7be3c1a_b.jpg)
(https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4412/36415316974_921bab5168_b.jpg)
(https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4427/36415316524_d550146ca6_b.jpg)
(https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4366/36415315994_443220a192_b.jpg)
(https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4365/36415315354_79819003cf_b.jpg)
(https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4351/36415314574_b3165e4a87_b.jpg)
(https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4358/37062887986_38d4594f92_b.jpg)
(https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4369/37062883266_0fe534586d_b.jpg)
(https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4355/37062881326_b444c805de_b.jpg)
Title: Re: Did you ever hear, the one about FRI-DAY
Post by: FarAway Sooner on September 16, 2017, 12:44:31 AM
A little PBEM of Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided with a buddy of mine, and maybe something else fun, too.  Not sure what yet!
Title: Re: Did you ever hear, the one about FRI-DAY
Post by: Kushan on September 16, 2017, 02:20:14 AM
Mainly going to be Prepar3d for me. After a long week at work and pulling off a minor miracle on helping to get a project done within two days, I feel like rewarding myself in the form of buying the PMDG 737 NGX. Sure I'll be spending a good amount of time reading the documentation to just get it started, let alone get it into the air.

Fired up FCRS for the first time in ages last weekend. Forgot how much I really like the engine. Playing the Bread and Butter scenario from the FPG scenario pack; US 1st Bde, 8th Inf Div attack on a soviet supply depot. So far I've lost a company of Abrams, mainly from my own stupidity, but in return I've been hammering soviet mech infantry. Using my tanks to hold the center, supported by some infantry but am swinging most of my infantry down to cross a river and approach the soviets from the south.
Title: Re: Did you ever hear, the one about FRI-DAY
Post by: Toonces on September 16, 2017, 07:46:09 AM
The PMDG 737 is fantastic, as I'm sure you know.  They do a great job.  You will need to read at least a quick-start or something to fly it, though (again, as you probably know).

Little gaming this weekend (did none last weekend), so my goals are modest, either some sort of flight sim, or some wargame like SoW, CMANO, or Cold Waters. 

If I get to only one, I'll consider it a win.
Title: Re: Did you ever hear, the one about FRI-DAY
Post by: mikeck on September 16, 2017, 09:34:13 AM
Well, I still don't have power 6 days after the hurricane and I've worked every day since Monday the 4th and will continue until Wednesday the 20th. For this latest 2 week pay period I will have worked 162 hours in two weeks. I'm getting a little "on-edge" and could really use some gaming time.

I sleep in my office since my house has no power and not enough pumping stations are running to clear sewage...so it's backing up. Fun!

So thank god my laptop can run Mount and Blade. I'm so mad that it took me this long to find this awesome game. Using Floris mod but may switch to the "medieval Conquest" mod.

Also playing a bit of "Wars of Seccession". The game is very polished and I really hope AGEOD releases it soon. You guys who are fans on 18th century warfare will love it.
Title: Re: Did you ever hear, the one about FRI-DAY
Post by: airboy on September 16, 2017, 10:34:04 AM
Quote from: mikeck on September 16, 2017, 09:34:13 AM
Well, I still don't have power 6 days after the hurricane and I've worked every day since Monday the 4th and will continue until Wednesday the 20th. For this latest 2 week pay period I will have worked 162 hours in two weeks. I'm getting a little "on-edge" and could really use some gaming time.

I sleep in my office since my house has no power and not enough pumping stations are running to clear sewage...so it's backing up. Fun!

So thank god my laptop can run Mount and Blade. I'm so mad that it took me this long to find this awesome game. Using Floris mod but may switch to the "medieval Conquest" mod.

Also playing a bit of "Wars of Seccession". The game is very polished and I really hope AGEOD releases it soon. You guys who are fans on 18th century warfare will love it.

Hope you get power back soon.  And adequate sewer service.  Hope you are adequately compensated for all of your work and get some comp time at least.

Sort of reminds you of the basics of Civilization from Rome. 
Title: Re: Did you ever hear, the one about FRI-DAY
Post by: OJsDad on September 16, 2017, 11:43:05 AM
BEHOLD!!!  The Great Jewish Kingdom of Poland. 

(https://i.imgur.com/BzrqhXQ.jpg)

(https://i.imgur.com/PB5910C.jpg)
Title: Re: Did you ever hear, the one about FRI-DAY
Post by: Gusington on September 16, 2017, 12:53:48 PM
Where my ancestors hail from 👍
Title: Re: Did you ever hear, the one about FRI-DAY
Post by: airboy on September 16, 2017, 08:56:17 PM
Quote from: airboy on September 15, 2017, 02:42:20 PM
I'm starting Armada 2526 - one of the many games I've not played at all.  I've finished reading the rules and worked through the tutorial.

I hope to draw the maps for the first couple of battles in my Call of Cthulhu scenario I'm designing for Origins.  I've got all of the initial mystery stuff and characters designed.

I've really enjoyed Armada 2526 Gold.  Some of the controls and summary readouts are better than any 4x Space game I've ever played.  Oddly, I could not find a Strategy Guide or FAQ anywhere.  I probably started 7 games until I got the hang of the game design.
Title: Re: Did you ever hear, the one about FRI-DAY
Post by: MengJiao on September 16, 2017, 10:14:41 PM
Quote from: Gusington on September 15, 2017, 08:35:35 AM
yup

So far, Attila, ARMAIII and DCS.
Title: Re: Did you ever hear, the one about FRI-DAY
Post by: Kushan on September 18, 2017, 12:18:18 AM
Quote from: Toonces on September 16, 2017, 07:46:09 AM
The PMDG 737 is fantastic, as I'm sure you know.  They do a great job.  You will need to read at least a quick-start or something to fly it, though (again, as you probably know).

Little gaming this weekend (did none last weekend), so my goals are modest, either some sort of flight sim, or some wargame like SoW, CMANO, or Cold Waters. 

If I get to only one, I'll consider it a win.

I've been watching videos on all of the PMDG aircraft for over a year. Almost every major FSX/P3D youtuber and streamer flys them at some point. As predicted I spent Saturday reading through the procedures and flows. As much as I love all of the detail, I can't help but feel like a lot of it is fluff. Ditching procedures for example, while nice to have, don't really apply to a sim. Watched a couple of videos on doing a cold and dark start, not all that difficult and I was able to at least get it started. Spent most of today starting to put together a combined checklist/procedure flow google document. I found a few similar things online where others had the same idea but I had some issues with how they were formatted so decided to make my own.

Played some FCRS and got my ass handed to me. My Abrams preferred to shoot at BMP infantry carriers rather then the 3 companies of T-80 tanks shooting at them. Over half my staring tanks are now gone. Still have most of my infantry, field mortars, and off map artillery intact but I don't think they have the strength to push through the soviet line, including crossing a river, and take the VPs.

Played some CMANO for the first time in forever. After some needed time away, it felt good to just sit down and play for fun, no streaming, no focusing solely on scenario creation (although I did do some). Loaded up one of my favorite targets, the Kola peninsula, then proceeded to systematically flatten it with a combination of multiple carrier groups, mobile air bases in the Norwegian Sea, and a few guided missile battleships.
Title: Re: Did you ever hear, the one about FRI-DAY
Post by: JasonPratt on September 18, 2017, 02:15:53 PM
Well I got a few things done this weekend, but I spent an unconsciable amount of time working on figuring out how to beat Pre-Dynastic Egypt.

Haven't stayed up until 2:30am in a while.

In better news: Ysk and I inched closer to our RT game! Bought our sides and ready to place troops. Note to self -- figure out again how to place troops, since I have totally forgotten how to do so, and my last several experimental attempts all ended in failure. Reading the instructions may have to occur.  :buck2: (Which I would have done sooner, but dangit I used to play CMx1 somewhat regularly, I should remember how to do this!!)
Title: Re: Did you ever hear, the one about FRI-DAY
Post by: Philippe on September 18, 2017, 02:36:07 PM
Pre-Dynastic Egypt is a fun little game with a great art style that keeps sending me back to the early Egyptian gallery at the Met to check out the Naqada ceramics.  Hardly surprising that you're losing sleep over it.


(https://i.imgur.com/RJMZEzV.jpg)
(Naqada bowl from the Met)

And the good news is that some time in the relatively near future Clarus Victoria will come out with a follow-on game about the Old Kingdom, which will let you build Imhotep's Step Pyramid and, eventually, the Great Pyramids of Giza.
Title: Re: Did you ever hear, the one about FRI-DAY
Post by: JasonPratt on September 19, 2017, 03:15:11 PM
The dev came here to Grogheads some months ago, to ask our opinion about what to call "Palestine", too. Generally we agreed that Palestine, despite being a Roman name from the late 1st century CE (or maybe early-mid 2nd century), would be more identifiable to players.

Naturally, there have been people in the Steam comments 'correcting' the devs about Egypt not being an Egyptian word etc.  ::)
Title: Re: Did you ever hear, the one about FRI-DAY
Post by: JasonPratt on September 19, 2017, 09:39:28 PM
Meanwhile, Ysk and I have played our first of hopefully many turns to come, in Red Thunder! Once I have enough "footage" (five or six turns I suppose), I'll start putting together AAR vids.

As a preliminary spoiler, I am reasonably sure I am not losing yet!  :bd: Also, things are wet and grey. (And not only because I'm playing the Germans.)