GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: steve58 on September 18, 2017, 09:01:54 AM

Title: ccleaner hacked! Update immediately
Post by: steve58 on September 18, 2017, 09:01:54 AM
Frack.  I use ccleaner almost daily and keep it updated.  If you use ccleaner, uninstall it and grab the latest version asap.  Infected versions are 5.33.6162 version of CCleaner and the 1.07.3191 version of CCleaner Cloud.

Quote
Users of Avast-owned security application CCleaner for Windows have been advised to update their software immediately, after researchers discovered criminal hackers had installed a backdoor in the tool. The tainted application allows for download of further malware, be it ransomware or keyloggers, with fears millions are affected. According to Avast's own figures, 2.27 million ran the affected software, though the company said users should not panic.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2017/09/18/ccleaner-cybersecurity-app-infected-with-backdoor/#3877886e316a
Title: Re: ccleaner hacked! Update immediately
Post by: mirth on September 18, 2017, 09:04:26 AM
Whoops
Title: Re: ccleaner hacked! Update immediately
Post by: JasonPratt on September 18, 2017, 11:42:09 AM
Huh; Avast hasn't told me CCleaner is infected yet. Is that irony?!

Of course, I'm using the free version of CCleaner which isn't as recent. I thought about paying for it -- paid for a year of Avast's own cleaning software, and hated every moment of it (though I pay for their anti-virus/spam stuff) -- but when I went to the site, something about the pay options threw my hackles up.

I'll try to remember to look into this when I get home.
Title: Re: ccleaner hacked! Update immediately
Post by: Pete Dero on September 18, 2017, 12:17:05 PM
After my past troubles with CCleaner (http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=19794.msg531376;topicseen#msg531376) I hold back on updates.

Thanks for the post.
Title: Re: ccleaner hacked! Update immediately
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 18, 2017, 12:46:23 PM
I use the free version of CCLeaner and it's version 5.34.6207...later than the stated version at the top. I updated it this weekend I believe.
Title: Re: ccleaner hacked! Update immediately
Post by: spelk on September 18, 2017, 02:38:08 PM
According to this:
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/how-to/security/ccleaner-malware-incident-what-you-need-to-know-and-how-to-remove/

It only affects 32-bit machines, with a specific version number, and if CCleaner is updated it should be ok.

Piriform piped up with a blogpost detailing the issue:

https://www.piriform.com/news/blog/2017/9/18/security-notification-for-ccleaner-v5336162-and-ccleaner-cloud-v1073191-for-32-bit-windows-users
Title: Re: ccleaner hacked! Update immediately
Post by: MetalDog on September 18, 2017, 09:04:15 PM
I updated to 5.34.  If my understanding of English is correct, I have disabled their ability to bother me.  Yes?
Title: Re: ccleaner hacked! Update immediately
Post by: Granfantry on September 27, 2017, 10:58:51 PM
I just straight up uninstalled it since I haven't used CCleaner in months. Thanks for the heads-up.