GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: JasonPratt on October 19, 2017, 04:03:00 PM

Title: FRYYYYYYYYYday Little Sister (thou shall not kill)
Post by: JasonPratt on October 19, 2017, 04:03:00 PM
Since I didn't get around to contributing to the Friday thread last week, and since I'm doubtful I'll get much gaming progress done this weekend either, and since it's technically Friday somewhere, and since I stumbled on this cover semi-randomly while looking up details on Lost Boys sequels I didn't even know existed, and since we're getting near Halloween, and since the topic of this video was broached several times in threads recently...



...you're welcome!



Ideally I intend to finally get Turn 11 of the DC:Blitz multiplayer done (though probably not the video AAR yet), but I'm also running behind on the Crisis Grogs Fire in the Lake mp game. (Though I might be able to catch up on that tonight, we'll see.)

One of my other mp groups wants to get back into Mechwarrior Online, so hopefully some of that.

I've been breaking in my new gfx card with a Halloween season replay of Batman: Arkham Knight, the strengths and weaknesses of which remain as they always have. Interestingly, as much as I enjoyed WB's port of the mechanics to Lord of the Rings in Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor, I've never once replayed it, and have not even been in much of a hurry to finish the "Bright Lord" prequel DLC. I'm saving the new sequel for a birthday gift, so I'm not jumping into it, but neither do I feel particularly compelled to ask for it either.  :-\ Theoretically I should like the LotR property more! -- but the unrelenting grimness and descent into One Ring despotism may be turning me off this franchise.

I did though finally pick up the new Ghost Recon: Wildlands (and the expansion DLC "Fallen Ghosts") while it was on sale. So that's upcoming.
Title: Re: FRYYYYYYYYYday Little Sister (thou shall not kill)
Post by: bbmike on October 19, 2017, 04:30:27 PM
I...er...um..no comment on the song choice.
Civilization 6 and Stars in Shadow for me. Both have new DLC and patches out.
Title: Re: FRYYYYYYYYYday Little Sister (thou shall not kill)
Post by: mirth on October 19, 2017, 04:37:18 PM
Nice choice. Always liked the original from the Lost Boys soundtrack.
Title: Re: FRYYYYYYYYYday Little Sister (thou shall not kill)
Post by: JasonPratt on October 19, 2017, 04:46:24 PM
The LB original I agree is better, although I'm not sure it's actually the original version either -- that film liked to use covers, although relatively superior ones. (I actually like its version of "People are Strange" better than the Doors' version.) Sisters of Mercy has a version of "Cry Little Sister", too. Who originally wrote/recorded it? No idea. But Seasons After took a noble bite at covering it.  :coolsmiley:
Title: Re: FRYYYYYYYYYday Little Sister (thou shall not kill)
Post by: mirth on October 19, 2017, 04:47:48 PM
That was a solid soundtrack. I may still have the CD somewhere.
Title: Re: FRYYYYYYYYYday Little Sister (thou shall not kill)
Post by: JasonPratt on October 19, 2017, 04:48:52 PM
Hm, Wiki says Gerald whoever did in fact write it originally (as used in the first film).
Title: Re: FRYYYYYYYYYday Little Sister (thou shall not kill)
Post by: bbmike on October 19, 2017, 04:49:14 PM
Quote from: mirth on October 19, 2017, 04:37:18 PM
Nice choice. Always liked the original from the Lost Boys soundtrack.

Put down that Star Trek whiskey glass and tell us what you're playing this weekend.
Title: Re: FRYYYYYYYYYday Little Sister (thou shall not kill)
Post by: mirth on October 19, 2017, 04:50:43 PM
^lmao
Title: Re: FRYYYYYYYYYday Little Sister (thou shall not kill)
Post by: JasonPratt on October 19, 2017, 04:54:08 PM
...huh, there are a lot more covers than I realized, and the original composer/writer has gone through several versions himself (including one for the Devil May Cry PS4 reboot game.) Crap, Tangerine Dream did a cover?!



...ugh, they're better when they don't sing.
Title: Re: FRYYYYYYYYYday Little Sister (thou shall not kill)
Post by: JasonPratt on October 19, 2017, 05:03:33 PM
Note: don't search for the bluegrass version by the original author (Gerald McMahon, who since then started performing as G Tom Mac), which he made for True Blood. The music is pretty great, with a Firefly feel, but the vocal performance is pure disappointment.

Also I'm still stuck at work. But at least it's a work where I can amuse myself by searching for covers/editions to a cult classic theme song.
Title: Re: FRYYYYYYYYYday Little Sister (thou shall not kill)
Post by: Gusington on October 19, 2017, 07:20:16 PM
Great song choice! Lost Boys rules.

TL;DR - Witcher 3 this weekend for whatever gaming time I get. Seeing Army play Temple on Saturday. Warhammer Total War waits in the wings as does Shadow of War.

And Wolfenstein 2 is released next week for Naaahzi killin'!!
Title: Re: FRYYYYYYYYYday Little Sister (thou shall not kill)
Post by: MengJiao on October 19, 2017, 08:07:40 PM
Quote from: bbmike on October 19, 2017, 04:30:27 PM
I...er...um..no comment on the song choice.
Civilization 6 and Stars in Shadow for me. Both have new DLC and patches out.

  A quiet weekend of the Nervii in Rome II's Ceasar in Gaul landscape, and maybe a few other things.
Title: Re: FRYYYYYYYYYday Little Sister (thou shall not kill)
Post by: Cyrano on October 19, 2017, 08:22:49 PM
Boo...too early.  Can't interrupt my morning work ritual.

JTS Jena (x2)
KS Jena
Borderlands 2

Field of Glory II until I can't no more.

Title: Re: FRYYYYYYYYYday Little Sister (thou shall not kill)
Post by: Arctic Blast on October 19, 2017, 09:36:17 PM
More board gaming. And probably more Shadow of War.
Title: Re: FRYYYYYYYYYday Little Sister (thou shall not kill)
Post by: JudgeDredd on October 20, 2017, 12:22:12 AM
I don't think you should post anymore songs. Videos on the other hand

This weekend I'll be playing Madden NFL 18, No Man's Sky, MLB The Game 17 - all PS4 games - and also probably either pCars 2 and/or F1 2017

I may also start my Vulcan kit.

Enjoy your weekend.
Title: Re: FRYYYYYYYYYday Little Sister (thou shall not kill)
Post by: PanzersEast on October 20, 2017, 11:16:28 AM
Probably a little X-Com 2, Starpoint Gemini Warlords, CKII, and a lot of.....

(https://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic3657725_md.png)
Title: Re: FRYYYYYYYYYday Little Sister (thou shall not kill)
Post by: Barthheart on October 20, 2017, 11:17:45 AM
Quote from: PanzersEast on October 20, 2017, 11:16:28 AM
Probably a little X-Com 2, Starpoint Gemini Warlords, CKII, and a lot of.....

(https://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic3657725_md.png)

Pics please!  :)
Title: Re: FRYYYYYYYYYday Little Sister (thou shall not kill)
Post by: JasonPratt on October 20, 2017, 11:57:16 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 20, 2017, 12:22:12 AM
I don't think you should post anymore songs. Videos on the other hand

Heh, I wouldn't have posted that one (since it isn't among my genres at all), but I thought of certain Grogs here when I saw it, so...!  :coolsmiley:

I may not get any videos posted this weekend, but I dang well intend to move along (at last) in generating new material for them. (I forgot to add my mp Red Thunder game with Yskonyn to the list.)
Title: Re: FRYYYYYYYYYday Little Sister (thou shall not kill)
Post by: mirth on October 20, 2017, 12:00:43 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on October 19, 2017, 04:54:08 PM




...ugh, they're better when they don't sing.

Seriously. I was digging it until the vocals kicked in.
Title: Re: FRYYYYYYYYYday Little Sister (thou shall not kill)
Post by: JasonPratt on October 20, 2017, 12:21:37 PM
For that matter, the original auteur sounds more than a little mediocre at best when he isn't being helped by the late 80s version of autotune.  :P

I recommend avoiding the Sisters of Mercy cover, too.

These covers have some decent vocals:






Here's a rare female cover! (Musical adaptation isn't the best tho.)

Title: Re: FRYYYYYYYYYday Little Sister (thou shall not kill)
Post by: mirth on October 20, 2017, 12:25:41 PM
I knew that song had been covered, but I had no idea it been covered that many times.  :crazy2:
Title: Re: FRYYYYYYYYYday Little Sister (thou shall not kill)
Post by: Gusington on October 20, 2017, 04:48:02 PM
Arctic Blast post impressions of Shadow of War! I haven't had the chance to fire it up yet :( Too addicted to Witcher :)
Title: Re: FRYYYYYYYYYday Little Sister (thou shall not kill)
Post by: Nefaro on October 20, 2017, 05:06:50 PM
Note To Self:

Still need to finish setting up and testing the button mapping for F-5 and MiG-21, along with writing up my own checklists. 


My schizophrenic game focus has been going nuts lately.  Scatterbrained random urges to play these, at various times:

Heliborne
Field of Glory 2
Cold Waters
DCS
Torment: Numenera

+
Choosing & prepping one of a few various tabletop RPGs
Doing some tabletop solitaire
Painting minis to aforementioned tabletop stuff

:crazy2: 

:uglystupid2:
Title: Re: FRYYYYYYYYYday Little Sister (thou shall not kill)
Post by: Gusington on October 20, 2017, 05:10:38 PM
^This is good news. Weren't you in a gaming drought?
Title: Re: FRYYYYYYYYYday Little Sister (thou shall not kill)
Post by: OJsDad on October 20, 2017, 05:30:50 PM
Did some HOI 2: Darkest Hour, CK2, and Polaris Sector in already.
Title: Re: FRYYYYYYYYYday Little Sister (thou shall not kill)
Post by: Nefaro on October 20, 2017, 06:47:39 PM
Quote from: Gusington on October 20, 2017, 05:10:38 PM
^This is good news. Weren't you in a gaming drought?

Got out of that a couple months ago when I got sucked back into World Of Warships. 

Had to recently take another hiatus from that game, however, before I got too sour on it from overuse.  Now I'm an indecisive kid in a candy store who doesn't want to commit to anything wholly.  :idiot2:
Title: Re: FRYYYYYYYYYday Little Sister (thou shall not kill)
Post by: Gusington on October 20, 2017, 06:53:19 PM
You are a gaming nut wrapped in an enigma wrapped in nougat.
Title: Re: FRYYYYYYYYYday Little Sister (thou shall not kill)
Post by: Toonces on October 20, 2017, 07:46:58 PM
I'm still neck-deep in Cold Waters.

Also, what's up with Mrs. Thatcher's War?  I haven't heard of that.
Title: Re: FRYYYYYYYYYday Little Sister (thou shall not kill)
Post by: Arctic Blast on October 21, 2017, 05:28:50 AM
Quote from: Gusington on October 20, 2017, 04:48:02 PM
Arctic Blast post impressions of Shadow of War! I haven't had the chance to fire it up yet :( Too addicted to Witcher :)

Sexy Shelob!

Running around and trying to save Gondor from Sauron's masses!

One poor bastard orc just won't actually die! He keeps popping up looking less lively than before. At this point, he has a metal mask, a mechanical hand and his midsection seems to consist of bits of wire, some string and a fair portion of hope.

I haven't played it much this week, so I haven't yet started building up a legion of uruk hai to start storming/defending fortresses and the like, but I know that's all in there.
Title: Re: FRYYYYYYYYYday Little Sister (thou shall not kill)
Post by: Nefaro on October 21, 2017, 11:44:58 AM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on October 21, 2017, 05:28:50 AM
Quote from: Gusington on October 20, 2017, 04:48:02 PM
Arctic Blast post impressions of Shadow of War! I haven't had the chance to fire it up yet :( Too addicted to Witcher :)

Sexy Shelob!

Running around and trying to save Gondor from Sauron's masses!

One poor bastard orc just won't actually die! He keeps popping up looking less lively than before. At this point, he has a metal mask, a mechanical hand and his midsection seems to consist of bits of wire, some string and a fair portion of hope.

I haven't played it much this week, so I haven't yet started building up a legion of uruk hai to start storming/defending fortresses and the like, but I know that's all in there.


I still haven't tried the first one, despite picking it up about a year ago.   L:-)

That will likely be further delayed because I buckled and picked up Witcher 3 Game of the Year from GOG for $20.  The reviews were so glowing, I'm forced to go over game budget to check it out *wink wink*.
Title: Re: FRYYYYYYYYYday Little Sister (thou shall not kill)
Post by: Gusington on October 21, 2017, 07:18:57 PM
^This pleases me.

So does the whole idea of massive fantasy sieges...gotta start playing Shadow of War soon.
Title: Re: FRYYYYYYYYYday Little Sister (thou shall not kill)
Post by: MengJiao on October 22, 2017, 06:32:12 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on October 19, 2017, 08:07:40 PM
Quote from: bbmike on October 19, 2017, 04:30:27 PM
I...er...um..no comment on the song choice.
Civilization 6 and Stars in Shadow for me. Both have new DLC and patches out.

  A quiet weekend of the Nervii in Rome II's Ceasar in Gaul landscape, and maybe a few other things.

   Yes, and that's all I played.  What's odd is that I recalled the Rome II Caesar in Gaul sub game as being dark and kind of
depressing.  After a few years of Attila and WarHammer, Caesar in Gual looked pretty cheerful.
Title: Re: FRYYYYYYYYYday Little Sister (thou shall not kill)
Post by: Gusington on October 22, 2017, 07:17:57 PM
^Ha! You know, I have that Caesar in Gaul DLC and never played it...
Title: Re: FRYYYYYYYYYday Little Sister (thou shall not kill)
Post by: MengJiao on October 22, 2017, 09:49:44 PM
Quote from: Gusington on October 22, 2017, 07:17:57 PM
^Ha! You know, I have that Caesar in Gaul DLC and never played it...

  It's not particularly exciting, but it does have two-week turns (or two turns per month anyway), speeches about how a speech isn't going to help much, troops armed with clubs, night battles, lack of Gaulic technology (no burning arrows even...now that's PRIMITIVE) so attempts at comedy or something in the tribal politics (as the Nerviim things are definitely tribal) and food problems.  So far no disease or volcanic eruptions or utter destruction.  Riding a horse is still a bit of an arcane mystery etc. etc.  It's all kind of a relief after Attila and Warhammer.