GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Cheimison on October 23, 2017, 02:34:21 PM

Title: Funny Graphics Elitism
Post by: Cheimison on October 23, 2017, 02:34:21 PM
I was trawling around reddit and came across this post: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/32g0hj/console_users_or_the_i_dont_care_about_graphics/
TL;DR = he doesn't believe console gamers don't care about graphics, they're just jelly because PC is so much better.
Well, yes, PC does have the capacity to be much more graphically intensive. As to the motives of console gamers I can't say.
But the hole in his argument should be obvious to us who play 30 year old merchant sims and games where the 'graphics' are tiny squares with NATO symbols on them. I don't think he seems to be aware that such games even exist, or that they're exclusively for the PC master race. His conceit depends entirely on the notion that everyone plays games with bouncing anime boobs and explosions. I personally wish most of the games I played had less graphics, I don't like the clutter or the drain on system memory. Faster turn resolution trumps lens flare on pikes any day.
Title: Re: Funny Graphics Elitism
Post by: Crossroads on October 23, 2017, 02:44:51 PM
NATO symbols on counters, with hexes as far as the eye can see  :smitten:
Title: Re: Funny Graphics Elitism
Post by: spelk on October 23, 2017, 02:50:52 PM
Quote from: Crossroads on October 23, 2017, 02:44:51 PM
NATO symbols on counters, with hexes as far as the eye can see  :smitten:

:clap:

I'm all for hex and chits.... big style!

.... BUT some of the most imaginative and interesting games I play are depicted solely in ASCII!

Exhibit A m'lud...

http://www.ascii-curious.com/2017/07/the-burning-hoak-tree.html
Title: Re: Funny Graphics Elitism
Post by: Crossroads on October 23, 2017, 02:57:48 PM
Quote from: spelk on October 23, 2017, 02:50:52 PM
Quote from: Crossroads on October 23, 2017, 02:44:51 PM
NATO symbols on counters, with hexes as far as the eye can see  :smitten:

:clap:

I'm all for hex and chits.... big style!

.... BUT some of the most imaginative and interesting games I play are depicted solely in ASCII!

Exhibit A m'lud...

http://www.ascii-curious.com/2017/07/the-burning-hoak-tree.html

Ha. My first intro to NATO symbols was "NATO Commander", back in the Commodore 64 days

(https://www.myabandonware.com/media/screenshots/n/nato-commander-ftk/nato-commander_3.png)
Title: Re: Funny Graphics Elitism
Post by: Cheimison on October 23, 2017, 03:19:32 PM
Quote from: Crossroads on October 23, 2017, 02:57:48 PM
Quote from: spelk on October 23, 2017, 02:50:52 PM
Quote from: Crossroads on October 23, 2017, 02:44:51 PM
NATO symbols on counters, with hexes as far as the eye can see  :smitten:

:clap:

I'm all for hex and chits.... big style!

.... BUT some of the most imaginative and interesting games I play are depicted solely in ASCII!

Exhibit A m'lud...

http://www.ascii-curious.com/2017/07/the-burning-hoak-tree.html

Ha. My first intro to NATO symbols was "NATO Commander", back in the Commodore 64 days

(https://www.myabandonware.com/media/screenshots/n/nato-commander-ftk/nato-commander_3.png)

And it looks basically the same as Advanced Tactics Gold! That means that this was a PC and a console and has the same graphics as modern games - triple refutation, lol.
Title: Re: Funny Graphics Elitism
Post by: spelk on October 23, 2017, 05:41:50 PM
Quote from: Crossroads on October 23, 2017, 02:57:48 PM
Ha. My first intro to NATO symbols was "NATO Commander", back in the Commodore 64 days
(https://www.myabandonware.com/media/screenshots/n/nato-commander-ftk/nato-commander_3.png)

C64 them graphics were LUXURY compared to my ASCII! ;)