GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Cheimison on October 24, 2017, 04:01:39 PM

Title: Corporate Structure of Various Strategy/Tactical Producers?
Post by: Cheimison on October 24, 2017, 04:01:39 PM
I heard a while back that Paradox had been split into two different companies.
Apparently in 2009 Paradox purchased AGEOD - which Paradox owns them now?
Matrix games also sells AGEOD titles - and Matrix games is merged with Slitherine?
I'm just wondering who owns what companies, who is just distributing for them.
This is a pretty arcane topic, but someone must know.
Title: Re: Corporate Structure of Various Strategy/Tactical Producers?
Post by: PipFromSlitherine on October 24, 2017, 04:05:36 PM
AGEOD is a fully owned and integrated part of Slitherine-Matrix these days.

Cheers

Pip
Title: Re: Corporate Structure of Various Strategy/Tactical Producers?
Post by: bbmike on October 24, 2017, 04:09:44 PM
^And hopefully hard at work on that new game engine and then Pride of Nations 2.  :coolsmiley:
Title: Re: Corporate Structure of Various Strategy/Tactical Producers?
Post by: Cheimison on October 24, 2017, 04:25:42 PM
Quote from: bbmike on October 24, 2017, 04:09:44 PM
^And hopefully hard at work on that new game engine and then Pride of Nations 2.  :coolsmiley:
I haven't played Pride of Nations, though I am pretty sure I bought it X years ago. A lot of the reviews I encountered said PLAY VIC2 INSTEAD! but I have Vic2 and have only played America, preventing the Civil War ridiculously easy.
Title: Re: Corporate Structure of Various Strategy/Tactical Producers?
Post by: bbmike on October 24, 2017, 04:27:07 PM
Pride of Nations is a labor to love. Yes, I wrote that correctly.  :)
Title: Re: Corporate Structure of Various Strategy/Tactical Producers?
Post by: jomni on October 25, 2017, 12:45:53 AM
Except for AGEOD and Paradox, Matrix / Slitherine are publishers. They don't make their own games.

Matrix merged with Slitherine.  Management is the same. They sell what the other sells in their store (including AGEOD games). But notice a difference in branding. Monster (Grognard) games are branded under Matrix with premium pricing. More casual, tabletop, mobile games are branded under Slitherine at lower prices.

AGEOD develops their own game and runs their own store which shares the same back end as Matrix.  They used to have Paradox as publisher.
Take note that Slitherine has their own development team that handes their in-house game engine— used by other developers to make games.
Title: Re: Corporate Structure of Various Strategy/Tactical Producers?
Post by: BanzaiCat on October 25, 2017, 06:01:35 AM
I worked for Matrix for a while before their merger. There was only a handful of guys responsible for the work on Matrix's side, whom all worked with the devs to get their projects going. More or less.
Title: Re: Corporate Structure of Various Strategy/Tactical Producers?
Post by: HoodedHorseJoe on October 25, 2017, 06:51:58 AM
Paradox Interactive is a Publisher, but Paradox Development Studios is their in-house development team that handles all of the Clausewitz-engine games (all of the grand-strategy stuff, basically).

They have other internal studios as well, such as Paradox North.