GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: gameleaper on October 29, 2017, 12:13:15 AM

Title: mixed reality,"MR" better than VR,its Hybred VR + AR £400
Post by: gameleaper on October 29, 2017, 12:13:15 AM
I had opportunity to look at a mixed reality headset yesterday, my brothers friend wanted help setting it up, it was super simple plug it in and it all installed like velvet, except the windows update took an hour, it was just one click to install the whole thing. then I found everthing is controlled from the room your are in like 360 videos games app etc.. no need to try and set anything up, its all one place, the headset was light and easy to wear, the front lifted up like a visor so you can scratch your nose. the amazing thing was I slumed on a louger to use it because there are no sensors needed it uses cameras in the headset to track your head, now this was supprising you could adjust your position in the virtual world with your head but also with a joypad, so the 360 videos you could quickly turn to face behind you without physically turning round very good thing it worked out great. now the steamVR is supported so all your steam vr games etc are going to work, BUT they don't yet, the steam interface has not been released but it will be soon its on early access in steam but you cant donload yet. the whole thing was quality and easy and confortable. when steamVR is done this will be an improvement to vr, I think it also will have augmented content in the future as it uses the tech aswell.
Title: Re: mixed reality
Post by: gameleaper on October 29, 2017, 12:23:33 AM
PS . its just the same as VR for any thing you want to do, but it has added features to use mixed vr, it also has no sensors lie dowm and play.
Title: Re: mixed reality
Post by: gameleaper on October 29, 2017, 12:32:46 AM
The Windows Mixed Reality SteamVR preview allows developers to test and optimize their SteamVR experiences to run on Windows Mixed Reality headsets. This program is currently in an invite-only closed preview while we work with a limited set of developers to uncover stability and performance issues. We will be making the preview available to all consumers on Steam Early Access this holiday season so stay tuned for a broader preview release. If you have not yet joined our developer program and are interested in participating, please sign up at aka.ms/iwantmr.
Title: Re: mixed reality
Post by: gameleaper on October 29, 2017, 04:47:24 AM
one of the best things are the MR 360 video Apps, they stream high quality pro made short films and experiences. you can easily see feature films soon if not already maybe.

the screens are pin sharp allowing you to read text easily over normal VR,

Title: Re: mixed reality
Post by: gameleaper on October 29, 2017, 04:52:34 AM
PS: last post , there briniging out VENUES , you can attend live events like concerts or sports etc... front row
Title: Re: mixed reality,"MR" better than VR,its Hybred VR + AR £400
Post by: Destraex on October 29, 2017, 05:30:22 AM
Any sources, demos or videos?
What ever happened to microsofts windows 10 VR mixed reality?
Title: Re: mixed reality,"MR" better than VR,its Hybred VR + AR £400
Post by: gameleaper on October 29, 2017, 06:12:13 AM
not sure but I think all MR is Microsoft, I watched some youtube nut none showed how good it was for real.
Title: Re: mixed reality,"MR" better than VR,its Hybred VR + AR £400
Post by: gameleaper on October 30, 2017, 12:12:30 AM
after another look today, we found "power media player MR" gas a 30 free trial and WoW, this is the first thing you need to do if you get an MR setup, I'm tempted just havnt fot the money.
Title: Re: mixed reality,"MR" better than VR,its Hybred VR + AR £400
Post by: Destraex on October 30, 2017, 04:49:12 AM
Microsoft HoloLens it was called
Title: Re: mixed reality,"MR" better than VR,its Hybred VR + AR £400
Post by: gameleaper on October 30, 2017, 05:10:45 AM
there seems to be MR headsets with motion controllers from a lot of manufacturers , they use the MR system that is microsofts MR, holo is not the same as these new ones, the new ones are pure VR immersion but with holo cameras so we don't need sensors to track headset or controllers. when I used it over the couple of days with the guy, I found it was VR without the hassal of setting up anything, its just on wire. so room scale is easy or sitting on a lounger.

I'm suffering envy now I don't have one, when steamVR arrives it will have hundreds of games. already on steam. but definatly use power media player MR its brilliant.
Title: Re: mixed reality,"MR" better than VR,its Hybred VR + AR £400
Post by: gameleaper on October 30, 2017, 05:26:40 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOKyb7uRrg8&t=4s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SShUlR8rcGs&t=383s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4_B00i2z-I&t=136s

here are some links
Title: Re: mixed reality,"MR" better than VR,its Hybred VR + AR £400
Post by: Jarhead0331 on October 30, 2017, 05:30:20 AM
Unless you are seriously on a budget, there is no reason to select MR headsets over currently avaible products, such as the Vive and rift, which are superior in every way. The first gen MR headsets aren't really MR. They are VR, and although they don't require external sensors, which is convenient, they function off of integrated graphics sets.

The Oculus Rift and the HTC Vive have a larger library of games between them, offer a wider field of view (110 degrees compared with 100 degrees, and deliver better image quality overall.
Title: Re: mixed reality,"MR" better than VR,its Hybred VR + AR £400
Post by: gameleaper on October 30, 2017, 05:33:38 AM
https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-audio/gaming/virtual-reality/lenovo-explorer-mixed-reality-headset-controllers-10169453-pdt.html

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-audio/gaming/virtual-reality/dell-visor-mixed-reality-headset-controllers-10169339-pdt.html

I saw it say 110 fov for MR, what I'm talking about only hit mainstream oct17th with the required update to windows. I'm sorry JH but also you are able to read small text in MR , but you cant so well in VR like rift . I think your out of update info

Windows Mixed Reality combines virtual reality with the real world
110° field of view for captivating immersion
Simple setup with no external sensors
Enjoy VR games from the Windows Store and Steam
Includes Windows Mixed Reality controllers


THIS IS A NEW GAMING SYSYEM, WE SHOULD BE WANTING IT, NOT TRYING TO BE SURE OUR OLD VR IS BETTER, IVE BEEN ON BOTH VR AND MR, AND MR IS BETTER, BUT GAMES ARE THIN(BUT STEAM IS COMING TO MR IN A MATTER OF WEEKS)


they designed the headset like the Playstations, but can flip up too
Title: Re: mixed reality,"MR" better than VR,its Hybred VR + AR £400
Post by: Jarhead0331 on October 30, 2017, 05:56:19 AM
Sorry. You are wrong and it is pretty easy to prove so.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3233247/virtual-reality/dont-be-fooled-windows-mixed-reality-headsets-are-just-vr-headsets.html (https://www.pcworld.com/article/3233247/virtual-reality/dont-be-fooled-windows-mixed-reality-headsets-are-just-vr-headsets.html)
Title: Re: mixed reality,"MR" better than VR,its Hybred VR + AR £400
Post by: gameleaper on October 30, 2017, 05:59:21 AM
JH , Ive used a rift and a MR, MR are VR but with no sensors. they also have tech that allows you to read small text to allow you to work in VR, the rift and other VR text is blury. its also light weight and PS4 design with a flipup , you can use it comfortably for a long time

You may not understand yet, but you will in the future, because Ive seen it
Title: Re: mixed reality,"MR" better than VR,its Hybred VR + AR £400
Post by: Jarhead0331 on October 30, 2017, 06:01:00 AM
Well, if you've seen it, it must be true. Every article on the internet comparing the two systems disagrees with you.

This isn't personal for me, like it seems to be for you. I don't care if gen 1 MR sets are better than vr. I'll just buy one. I'm just posting facts.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/microsoft-mixed-reality-headset-faq,news-26053.html (https://www.tomsguide.com/us/microsoft-mixed-reality-headset-faq,news-26053.html)

If you had followed the threads about VR that I have started here, you would know I am a big proponent of this technology and have been saying it's revolutionary for years. I would love for AR tech to succeed. It just doesn't seem like it's there yet.
Title: Re: mixed reality,"MR" better than VR,its Hybred VR + AR £400
Post by: gameleaper on October 30, 2017, 06:20:53 AM
can you ly down and use VR? you can in MR :)

its not personal, VR is comparable to MR, but all I'm saying is MR has no sensors, and you can read text, you have to look at the text in centre of you, but in rift this is blurry.

If you have a rift fine, if you have a Vive fine, but if your new to vr think about MR. I found I was trying to itch my head in rift, but in MR you just flip it up, its light weight for long period use.

the internet info is out of date, all this MR new tech only happened on oct17th with the win10 update,

dont get confused with old MR tech like holo, its moved on
Title: Re: mixed reality,"MR" better than VR,its Hybred VR + AR £400
Post by: Jarhead0331 on October 30, 2017, 07:32:11 AM
Yes. I can lay down in VR. I'm not sure why you think you can't.

The articles I have posted are from this month. They are not outdated. There is no confusion on my part.
Title: Re: mixed reality,"MR" better than VR,its Hybred VR + AR £400
Post by: gameleaper on October 30, 2017, 08:01:48 AM
I give up :)

Title: Re: mixed reality,"MR" better than VR,its Hybred VR + AR £400
Post by: Zulu1966 on October 30, 2017, 08:31:42 AM
Quote from: gameleaper on October 30, 2017, 08:01:48 AM0
I give up :)

I am not sure quite what the issue here is in that JH pointed to articles that specifically dealt with the update you are referring to and the central point is that MR means VR and AT. That's what MR means. The central point is that these aren't true AR headsets.

Must admit these headsets are news to me and certainly the lack of need for base stations and increased resolution is interesting but not sure how much difference the step up from 1080  to 1440 makes but also it refers to lack of accuracy in the motion tracking.
Title: Re: mixed reality,"MR" better than VR,its Hybred VR + AR £400
Post by: gameleaper on October 30, 2017, 09:13:27 AM
I only played 1 cheap game, seemed fine, the motion tracking I thought worked,

when you put the headseton it wireframes your room furniture , this seemed like Augmented Reality stuff to me, looks like in future software will make use of it.

I was not going of artcles,(JH said 100 FOV worse than rift, it was 110 so I corrected that.) I was just letting you know MR was ok, the higher res makes it just possible to see the small text, not perfect but enough to work with, you have to look straight at the text.
 
Title: Re: mixed reality,"MR" better than VR,its Hybred VR + AR £400
Post by: Jarhead0331 on October 30, 2017, 09:43:44 AM
Quote from: gameleaper on October 30, 2017, 09:13:27 AM

I was not going of artcles,(JH said 100 FOV worse than rift, it was 110 so I corrected that.) I was just letting you know MR was ok, the higher res makes it just possible to see the small text, not perfect but enough to work with, you have to look straight at the text.


Only the Samsung headset supports 110. All of the others do not.
Title: Re: mixed reality,"MR" better than VR,its Hybred VR + AR £400
Post by: gameleaper on October 30, 2017, 10:43:18 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 30, 2017, 09:43:44 AM
Quote from: gameleaper on October 30, 2017, 09:13:27 AM

I was not going of artcles,(JH said 100 FOV worse than rift, it was 110 so I corrected that.) I was just letting you know MR was ok, the higher res makes it just possible to see the small text, not perfect but enough to work with, you have to look straight at the text.


Only the Samsung headset supports 110. All of the others do not.

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-audio/gaming/virtual-reality/lenovo-explorer-mixed-reality-headset-controllers-10169453-pdt.html#srcid=11026

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-audio/gaming/virtual-reality/dell-visor-mixed-reality-headset-controllers-10169339-pdt.html

the above links are 2 headsets with 110, this is why I think you are talking about older sets.
Title: Re: mixed reality,"MR" better than VR,its Hybred VR + AR £400
Post by: Jarhead0331 on October 30, 2017, 11:04:30 AM
Quote from: gameleaper on October 30, 2017, 10:43:18 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 30, 2017, 09:43:44 AM
Quote from: gameleaper on October 30, 2017, 09:13:27 AM

I was not going of artcles,(JH said 100 FOV worse than rift, it was 110 so I corrected that.) I was just letting you know MR was ok, the higher res makes it just possible to see the small text, not perfect but enough to work with, you have to look straight at the text.


Only the Samsung headset supports 110. All of the others do not.

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-audio/gaming/virtual-reality/lenovo-explorer-mixed-reality-headset-controllers-10169453-pdt.html#srcid=11026

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-audio/gaming/virtual-reality/dell-visor-mixed-reality-headset-controllers-10169339-pdt.html

the above links are 2 headsets with 110, this is why I think you are talking about older sets.

My information is from this article https://www.tomsguide.com/us/microsoft-mixed-reality-headset-faq,news-26053.html (https://www.tomsguide.com/us/microsoft-mixed-reality-headset-faq,news-26053.html) which is dated October 29, 2017.

Its really a moot point. There isn't that much of a difference between 100 and 110 FoV. Its the other weaknesses in the system presently that are more considerable in my opinion. It will be initeresting to see how true MR works, once they actually have it.
Title: Re: mixed reality,"MR" better than VR,its Hybred VR + AR £400
Post by: gameleaper on October 30, 2017, 11:23:34 AM
I like that link.

the games should run the same on VR & MR because there using the PC, not MR is higher res and refresh at 90 ,

I can understand why you think its not AR , but if you saw it switch on it scans your room and makes complex wireframes of obsticles, I think if the camera data is available to software they may in the future do AR with these headsets, but its new and we may need to wait, I don't know that there not AR aswell as VR because both are available on the headset.