http://www.slitherine.com/products/716/details/Field.of.Glory.II.Immortal.Fire (http://www.slitherine.com/products/716/details/Field.of.Glory.II.Immortal.Fire)
No gifs.
No memes.
No hyperbole.
Just gimme.
:wow:
I wonder when and how much?
^Me too - love me some Persian history.
Instant buy! Again :hide:
I just came here for the memes. :(
Tried the FOG AI mod today.
Must say it seemed to give a better looking, and more logical AI battle. Just one play test so far though.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 21, 2017, 04:37:15 PM
Quote from: IronX on November 21, 2017, 04:10:33 PM
I just came here for the memes. :(
:bd:
But yeah, I'm gonna get this too. And the next 27 dlcs that follow, no doubt.
I haven't even got around to trying out the base game yet...
Quote from: Father Ted on November 21, 2017, 05:08:39 PM
I haven't even got around to trying out the base game yet...
Ditto. But this is really twisting the Kopis, not that it's a bad thing either.
Me neither but...SOON.
Quote from: Father Ted on November 21, 2017, 05:08:39 PM
I haven't even got around to trying out the base game yet...
Me neither, but if a game has convincing Persians, I'm in.
PS. Checked on the Persian images. The Immortals get a highly superior rating (like William of Orange's Foot Guards or the Garden til Fod) and a nice mix of bows swords and spears. For armor they get armor (a good plan, it seems -- convincing even). So I am hopeful.
Color me meme free and ready to buy.
The immortals and sparabara are a great addition and requires different tactics
Starting an immortal fire..
in your pants.
^I am ashamed that was not my line.
Quote from: Gusington on November 22, 2017, 03:16:31 PM
^I am ashamed that was not my line.
I never thought of you as a firecrotch type, Gus.
The damp sort, perhaps.
I find this crotch talk distracting. Can we please get back to the subject of playing with burly men in short skirts and sandals and their long, pointy shafts?
The Immortals will be portrayed!!! What more do we need? NOTHING.
Quote from: Gusington on November 22, 2017, 06:24:20 PM
The Immortals will be portrayed!!! What more do we need? NOTHING.
Maybe some tricky Athenian makeshift solutions as in: Give your armor to your slaves and when I say go, Go! (Marathon) or
Do the same thing for a special light infantry force of archers and spearmen to drive off the enemy cavalry (Platea). Or wait until the Spartans go home and then take over.
You're thinking too much.
Quote from: Gusington on November 22, 2017, 08:02:15 PM
You're thinking too much.
I only think too much in moderation. For just as Xenophon wondered about whether he should wear his best costume to the meeting with the Persians where he might be killed (and he decided that he should get dressed up because either it would be his last day and it would be best to die in his best outfit) or appointed to semi-officially command the ten thousand (in which case it would be an event worthy of his best suit of whatever he wore), so I (on reflection) only try to make a few minor points of marginal interest occasionally.
Occasionally?? You make many good points often. But you're doing it again.
Quote from: Gusington on November 22, 2017, 08:16:05 PM
Occasionally?? You make many good points often. But you're doing it again.
Right. Right. Well the Immortals are fine, but -- even in the Hannibal Tutorial (Tutorial 3) of Field of Glory II, there are plenty of intriguing units. In fact even the Pyrrus tutorial had elephants and Citizen Hoplites (though these sound kind of like refugees from
Total War-Civilization III-polis) and Macedonian-style lancers etc. etc. I mean the Immortals are just the tip of an iceberg of weird coolness.
As I commented in my write-up, one of the immense joys of DBx was that moment when you read an army list and asked, "wait, what?"
And reached for the best resource book you had to hand.
And this in the days before Wikipedia!
So great to see it here.
I would think a big bucket of Immortal Water would handle the Immortal Fire quite nicely. How large are the battles portrayed in this game? Is there a size limit? Anything Gaugamela-sized? Or are they more along the lines of a Gus-sized fight?
Here's some pics with max points and max map size for a custom battle, picture is worth a thousand words. I did mod the number of figures per units to increase them.
(https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4574/37705833915_995d270134_h.jpg)
(https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4582/37705834175_75d20d3c65_h.jpg)
(https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4539/37705834515_af01ab9fc4_h.jpg)
Quote from: Sir Slash on November 22, 2017, 11:19:41 PM
I would think a big bucket of Immortal Water would handle the Immortal Fire quite nicely. How large are the battles portrayed in this game? Is there a size limit? Anything Gaugamela-sized? Or are they more along the lines of a Gus-sized fight?
Cannae is in Field of Glory II with a 40-square front implying 50-meter squares which is consistant with bow range at 4 squares assuming Cannae had a roughly 2 km front (overpacking the legions badly as happened in reality). In comparison with the Pike and shot game things are a lot more satisfying in terms of leaders and movement (there are leaders in FOGII and you can move whole formations or commands with single inputs to the UI). So battles can be pretty big. 2-3 km frontages would be about the limit of what an ancient army could manage I would think and the game covers that very well.
That's definitely larger than Gus-sized.
Above the waist.
http://www.slitherine.com/tournaments/tournaments.asp?aPage=1 (http://www.slitherine.com/tournaments/tournaments.asp?aPage=1)
And they've now opened up one whopper of tournament.
To arms!
Quote from: MengJiao on November 23, 2017, 06:36:57 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on November 22, 2017, 11:19:41 PM
I would think a big bucket of Immortal Water would handle the Immortal Fire quite nicely. How large are the battles portrayed in this game? Is there a size limit? Anything Gaugamela-sized? Or are they more along the lines of a Gus-sized fight?
Cannae is in Field of Glory II with a 40-square front implying 50-meter squares which is consistant with bow range at 4 squares assuming Cannae had a roughly 2 km front (overpacking the legions badly as happened in reality). In comparison with the Pike and shot game things are a lot more satisfying in terms of leaders and movement (there are leaders in FOGII and you can move whole formations or commands with single inputs to the UI). So battles can be pretty big. 2-3 km frontages would be about the limit of what an ancient army could manage I would think and the game covers that very well.
This bodes well for a Pike & Shot 2..
Has Pike and Shot 2 actually been announced?
Not that I'm aware of, but if they do, the improvements to the engine that we're seeing with FOG2 will make it a must buy.
Quote from: Pinetree on November 26, 2017, 10:02:45 AM
Not that I'm aware of, but if they do, the improvements to the engine that we're seeing with FOG2 will make it a must buy.
It needs more improvement in engine to depict mixed units properly. So I say it's a long way to go. But still possible. Besides there's a lot of DLC to cover until Middle Ages.
I am owed Napoleonics.
Not in any contractual, legally-binding sense mind, but Ian TOLD ME it would come out. At Historicon. On the order of five years ago.
Release date 5 December
GIGGITY - is there a price listed anywhere?
Quote from: Gusington on November 27, 2017, 06:17:25 PM
GIGGITY - is there a price listed anywhere?
hhmm...this is Matrix/Slitherine, they never release prices anymore until release day:)
I won't even hazard a guess since the core game was cheaper than I thought......once we see the price for the DLC, we'll see if this is how they plan to recoup costs:)
What the heck, I'll guess a price of $9.99...of course this time it will end up higher:)
^Sounds...reasonable.
Quote from: jomni on November 27, 2017, 05:36:11 PM
Release date 5 December
Wow! Maybe I'll have finished my Umbrian campaign by then. And for only 9.95 (in Umbrian Seed pods) I'll finally get some
Xenophones!
Day one purchase! The base game is superb.
Gimme.
Quote from: jomni on November 27, 2017, 05:36:11 PM
Release date 5 December
Oh damn. That was fast!
I've barely scratched the base game.
Too many games, not enough lifetimes.
Awesome. I'll get anything that comes out for FoG 2 at this point, even if it was Koalas vs. Flaming Pigs.
Such a great game.
Damn. Now I really want a Koalas vs Flaming Pigs game. :-\
HA
Out and 14.99
14.99! A little pricey. I do have my Matrix 5 year thank you coupon, however.
That's 14.99 in Persian money. So......
I actually prefer the way the battles feel in Immortal Fire to the ones in Field of Glory II. This surprised me, because I wasn't expecting to enjoy Marathon and Plataea, but they were fun.
I think my gripe with the Roman battles has to do with the artificial setup of the Roman units. Big blocks of them are set up in a quincunx (checkerboard formation), and although the quincunx was used (and was the standard early Roman formation), it was used for maniples (160-200 men) rather than the large, almost legion-sized formations that FOG II uses. I think the use of the quincunx leaked in from the 17th century game, where the large blocks of units set up in a checkerboard was completely appropriate. If I ever get around to designing scenarios, my Romans won't be set up in a checkerboard. Unfortunately my dance card is rather full right now, so scenario design for FOG II is next year's project.
Having said all that, if you liked basic FOG II, Immortal Fire is even better. Probably worth the full freight, especially as there alrady seem to be some excellent user-made scenarios on the way.
Quote from: Gusington on December 05, 2017, 10:49:00 AM
14.99! A little pricey. I do have my Matrix 5 year thank you coupon, however.
Will that work with Slitherine? I got one too and wanna pick this one up.
Edit: The coupon does work for Slitherine. Yay for multinational conglomerates! I was a little anxious, however, when launching the new add-on in that it couldn't detect the base game. It then dawned on me I bought the Steam version. Fortunately, Steam accepted the Slitherine registration code and all was golden.
^Thanks for confirming 👍
So Immortal Fire is a standalone game? The original is not required?
No, you need the base game.
Oh, ok - luckily I have it 😎
Quote from: Sir Slash on December 05, 2017, 11:37:19 AM
That's 14.99 in Persian money. So......
Just about 800 pounds of Umbrian Acorns
Didn't think I would be on the fence for this...but haven't pulled the trigger yet.....not that $15 is a lot, just not my immediate purchase trigger...I am sure it will be purchased in the near future.
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 05, 2017, 07:06:23 PM
Didn't think I would be on the fence for this...but haven't pulled the trigger yet.....not that $15 is a lot, just not my immediate purchase trigger...I am sure it will be purchased in the near future.
Same.
The new toys have built up to a critical mass lately, and I've not been playing any of them much.
Will probably buy when I next go on a FOG spree, as opposed to buying DLC now and just having it sit around.
Quote from: MengJiao on December 05, 2017, 06:02:52 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on December 05, 2017, 11:37:19 AM
That's 14.99 in Persian money. So......
Just about 800 pounds of Umbrian Acorns
I hauled in the acorns and went to war with the Lydians. Fortunately the Persian Sparabatta infantry and Immortals were ranked pretty deep opposite the Lydian armored citizen hoplites and hit about a quarter of them with arrows before push came to shove: Thymbra 547 BC -- a nerve-wracking battle and kind of the flipside of Marathon (Persians must win in the center or lose since the Lydian cavalry on the flanks is quite powerful).
Even if you don't buy, take note of the core changes in the game to address user feedback.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=477&t=80917
Just got it with my coupon for ~12.49.
Quote from: jomni on December 05, 2017, 08:15:10 PM
Even if you don't buy, take note of the core changes in the game to address user feedback.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=477&t=80917
Yes! I returned to my Syracusian Campaign and got a General for the Veteran Hoplite assault wing. He did Okay, but one veteran hoplite formation ran amuk (or chased some evading skirmishers into the middle of the enemy army) from the not-as -well-supervised part of the army. So things are still hanging in the balance sort of (though the Campians have started panic-ing -- things go down hill fast once that gets rolling).
Quote from: jomni on December 05, 2017, 08:15:10 PM
Even if you don't buy, take note of the core changes in the game to address user feedback.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=477&t=80917
Oh, I'm definitely going to buy. Possibly sooner rather than later.
Just gotta be ready to play again, first.
(Nef buys new video card, installs, proceeds to not play much of anything for days.. ) :idiot2:
Quote from: MengJiao on December 05, 2017, 09:45:15 PM
Quote from: jomni on December 05, 2017, 08:15:10 PM
Even if you don't buy, take note of the core changes in the game to address user feedback.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=477&t=80917
Yes! I returned to my Syracusian Campaign and got a General for the Veteran Hoplite assault wing. He did Okay, but one veteran hoplite formation ran amuk (or chased some evading skirmishers into the middle of the enemy army) from the not-as -well-supervised part of the army. So things are still hanging in the balance sort of (though the Campians have started panic-ing -- things go down hill fast once that gets rolling).
Yes, luckily the Campanians panic-ed and for the next battle it was a game of "save the baggage"...which sounded impossible since the Baggage savers had to save the baggage and get somewhere "before nightfall" (none of which was particularly clear) BUT in some ways it was a less difficult battle since the Campanians split their army so as to come at the baggage from 3 sides. So the Syracusan Hoplites chased down the various CAmpanian forces and the baggage chased the Hoplites. The Campanians lost heart and all of the baggage was saved. The next battle is the traditional final battle (you can set how many battles you want when you set up the campaign)...I think and then on to Plataea or something.
Looks like they are already onto beta testing DLC #2.....this may be a hard series to keep up with if content continues at a furious pace:)
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=477&t=81017&sid=630e1730d1138916f49ffc605a004ebb
The lists are certainly all set...no great mechanical updates to make...just more joy...
My mod is out. Enjoy!
http://www.slitherine.com/news/2473/Field.of.Glory.II.new.stunning.mod!.Are.you.ready.for.the.Silk.Road?
Quote from: jomni on December 20, 2017, 05:11:35 AM
My mod is out. Enjoy!
http://www.slitherine.com/news/2473/Field.of.Glory.II.new.stunning.mod!.Are.you.ready.for.the.Silk.Road?
:notworthy:
Quote from: jomni on December 20, 2017, 05:11:35 AM
My mod is out. Enjoy!
http://www.slitherine.com/news/2473/Field.of.Glory.II.new.stunning.mod!.Are.you.ready.for.the.Silk.Road?
Looks great!! Thanks
That looks very nice. Thank you.
Congrats jomni - will definitely be downloading.
Quote from: jomni on December 20, 2017, 05:11:35 AM
My mod is out. Enjoy!
http://www.slitherine.com/news/2473/Field.of.Glory.II.new.stunning.mod!.Are.you.ready.for.the.Silk.Road? (http://www.slitherine.com/news/2473/Field.of.Glory.II.new.stunning.mod!.Are.you.ready.for.the.Silk.Road?)
Nice! :bd:
That looks tasty. Mod of the Year possibility? :clap:
As the rude taunter said of the Grail: "Oh yes, it's very nice!"
Well done!