GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Destraex on November 21, 2017, 05:50:43 PM

Title: Homeworld - Deserts of Kharak now has Tactical Pause - in singleplayer
Post by: Destraex on November 21, 2017, 05:50:43 PM
I know how you guys love to slow things down. So thought I would mention that Deserts of Kharak now has a Tactical Pause in single player added with the latest patch.

Tactical Pause
http://steamcommunity.com/games/281610/announcements/detail/2918758927087894105
Tactical Pause is a feature that has become quite polarizing in the world of RTS games. Many people argue that tactical pause undermines the concept of "real time" strategy. However Tactical Pause has always been a part of the Homeworld franchise, and people expect it to feature in any Homeworld game. Its absence was a mistake which has now been rectified.

The player can now pause the game in the single player campaign and in skirmish games using the "P" key. During tactical pause players can issue combat, movement, and build commands to units which will be carried out once the game has become unpaused. There is audio feedback for any commands issued while paused, with visual feedback confirming the commands once the player unpauses the game.

Like all hotkeys, the Pause hotkey "P" is configurable by editing the custom.dokhotkeys file found in the backup and cloud files in the Deserts of Kharak Steam folder
Title: Re: Homeworld - Deserts of Kharak now has Tactical Pause - in singleplayer
Post by: Martok on November 21, 2017, 05:58:00 PM
Huh.  I was unaware -- or perhaps had simply forgotten -- that the game didn't have tactical pause to begin with.  (The game is on my wishlist, hence why this is of interest to me.)  Thanks for the update, Destraex! 
Title: Re: Homeworld - Deserts of Kharak now has Tactical Pause - in singleplayer
Post by: mirth on November 21, 2017, 06:14:01 PM
I have a strong feeling I'll be buying this game soon.
Title: Re: Homeworld - Deserts of Kharak now has Tactical Pause - in singleplayer
Post by: Jarhead0331 on November 21, 2017, 07:32:30 PM
This game was fantastic and it is one of the few games where I played completely through the campaign.
Title: Re: Homeworld - Deserts of Kharak now has Tactical Pause - in singleplayer
Post by: Grim.Reaper on November 21, 2017, 07:49:50 PM
Does this game have any modes besides campaign and multiplayer, meaning any kind of skirmish or custom battles that can be setup for single players?
Title: Re: Homeworld - Deserts of Kharak now has Tactical Pause - in singleplayer
Post by: mirth on November 21, 2017, 08:24:34 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 21, 2017, 07:32:30 PM
This game was fantastic and it is one of the few games where I played completely through the campaign.

Your initial review was excellent. It was all I could do to not buy it back then.
Title: Re: Homeworld - Deserts of Kharak now has Tactical Pause - in singleplayer
Post by: Jarhead0331 on November 21, 2017, 08:27:37 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 21, 2017, 07:49:50 PM
Does this game have any modes besides campaign and multiplayer, meaning any kind of skirmish or custom battles that can be setup for single players?

Yes...there is a skirmish option.
Title: Re: Homeworld - Deserts of Kharak now has Tactical Pause - in singleplayer
Post by: Grim.Reaper on November 21, 2017, 08:37:15 PM
thanks, i guess worth a $15 purchase gamble:)
Title: Re: Homeworld - Deserts of Kharak now has Tactical Pause - in singleplayer
Post by: Martok on November 21, 2017, 10:22:39 PM
^  Where is it available for only $15.00??!  TELL ME. 
Title: Re: Homeworld - Deserts of Kharak now has Tactical Pause - in singleplayer
Post by: Pete Dero on November 22, 2017, 03:41:19 AM
Quote from: Martok on November 21, 2017, 10:22:39 PM
^  Where is it available for only $15.00??!  TELL ME.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/homeworld-deserts-of-kharak

Sells for 15 € so should be around $15. (And in a few hours the Steam Thanksgiving Sale will start)
Title: Re: Homeworld - Deserts of Kharak now has Tactical Pause - in singleplayer
Post by: Grim.Reaper on November 22, 2017, 03:43:09 AM
Quote from: Martok on November 21, 2017, 10:22:39 PM
^  Where is it available for only $15.00??!  TELL ME.

I bought it from the reseller Kinguin

https://www.kinguin.net/category/23787/homeworld-deserts-of-kharak-steam-cd-key/

I bought from the first item listed which was GameProjkt....ended up even being the version that included both fleet DLC...not bad for $16 (I was wrong on $15) :)
Title: Re: Homeworld - Deserts of Kharak now has Tactical Pause - in singleplayer
Post by: Gusington on November 22, 2017, 11:35:23 AM
The sales...they are driving me wild!!
Title: Re: Homeworld - Deserts of Kharak now has Tactical Pause - in singleplayer
Post by: mirth on November 22, 2017, 11:41:45 AM
Quote from: Pete Dero on November 22, 2017, 03:41:19 AM
Quote from: Martok on November 21, 2017, 10:22:39 PM
^  Where is it available for only $15.00??!  TELL ME.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/homeworld-deserts-of-kharak

Damn. I'll be buying at that price.
Title: Re: Homeworld - Deserts of Kharak now has Tactical Pause - in singleplayer
Post by: mirth on November 22, 2017, 07:56:07 PM
The Steam sale price is $14.99

http://store.steampowered.com/app/281610/Homeworld_Deserts_of_Kharak/
Title: Re: Homeworld - Deserts of Kharak now has Tactical Pause - in singleplayer
Post by: Grim.Reaper on November 22, 2017, 08:03:48 PM
Quote from: mirth on November 22, 2017, 07:56:07 PM
The Steam sale price is $14.99

http://store.steampowered.com/app/281610/Homeworld_Deserts_of_Kharak/

Of course the day after I bought:)  But I feel a little better that I also got the DLC with mine:)
Title: Re: Homeworld - Deserts of Kharak now has Tactical Pause - in singleplayer
Post by: mirth on November 22, 2017, 08:12:40 PM
I just grabbed it.
Title: Re: Homeworld - Deserts of Kharak now has Tactical Pause - in singleplayer
Post by: Grim.Reaper on November 22, 2017, 08:15:21 PM
Quote from: mirth on November 22, 2017, 08:12:40 PM
I just grabbed it.

I only got to the first mission so far.....and of course like typical fashion I suck at RTS games......but I really do like how it feels and the concepts...guess I will just need to work at it.
Title: Re: Homeworld - Deserts of Kharak now has Tactical Pause - in singleplayer
Post by: mirth on November 22, 2017, 08:17:25 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 22, 2017, 08:15:21 PM
Quote from: mirth on November 22, 2017, 08:12:40 PM
I just grabbed it.

I only got to the first mission so far.....and of course like typical fashion I suck at RTS games......but I really do like how it feels and the concepts...guess I will just need to work at it.

I suck at RTS as well, but Homeworld is about as good as it gets for RTS so I'll stick with it.
Title: Re: Homeworld - Deserts of Kharak now has Tactical Pause - in singleplayer
Post by: Jarhead0331 on November 22, 2017, 09:09:28 PM
FWIW, I thought the campaign in DoK was much more forgiving and manageable than the original homeworld. Stick with it.
Title: Re: Homeworld - Deserts of Kharak now has Tactical Pause - in singleplayer
Post by: mirth on November 23, 2017, 06:44:07 PM
This game is friggin awesome!
Title: Re: Homeworld - Deserts of Kharak now has Tactical Pause - in singleplayer
Post by: Gusington on November 23, 2017, 09:42:21 PM
Just added it to my cart. I have 7 games in my cart right now for a total of 125.00. I need to pare some of that down...
Title: Re: Homeworld - Deserts of Kharak now has Tactical Pause - in singleplayer
Post by: mirth on November 23, 2017, 10:02:34 PM
Definitely keep this one.
Title: Re: Homeworld - Deserts of Kharak now has Tactical Pause - in singleplayer
Post by: Gusington on November 23, 2017, 10:50:58 PM
I've got it down to four: Deserts of Kharak, Hexwar: The Great War, Northgard, and Syrian Warfare.

What about this one moistens ye olde loines?
Title: Re: Homeworld - Deserts of Kharak now has Tactical Pause - in singleplayer
Post by: mirth on November 24, 2017, 03:32:40 AM
Quote from: Gusington on November 23, 2017, 10:50:58 PM
What about this one moistens ye olde loines?

Looks great. Game play is excellent. Totally fun.

Pretty much everything JH said about it a year ago :P
Title: Re: Homeworld - Deserts of Kharak now has Tactical Pause - in singleplayer
Post by: Gusington on November 24, 2017, 12:24:57 PM
I see. Hard to resist 14.99 down from 49.99...haven't pulled the trigger yet.
Title: Re: Homeworld - Deserts of Kharak now has Tactical Pause - in singleplayer
Post by: mirth on November 24, 2017, 12:28:01 PM
Quote from: Gusington on November 24, 2017, 12:24:57 PM
I see. Hard to resist 14.99 down from 49.99...haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Pull it. Pull it now.
Title: Re: Homeworld - Deserts of Kharak now has Tactical Pause - in singleplayer
Post by: Gusington on November 24, 2017, 12:30:58 PM
Must put in hard time first.