GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Tpek on November 22, 2017, 01:51:58 PM

Title: Steaming Shekels
Post by: Tpek on November 22, 2017, 01:51:58 PM
Recently Steam made a surprise announcement that from now on,
people from Israel will use NIS instead of USD on Steam (and the same goes for currencies for several other nations).

They thought it would probably encourage people to purchase more...
Except they messed it up.

Not only , due to years of purchasing games online in USD, I have no idea how much these games really cost now ( :buck2:),
but since Steam insists on regional pricing being set manually by publishers, half my wishlist is now unpurchaseable because the publishers have yet to enter
the new price for all the new different currencies.

#:-)  :uglystupid2:
Title: Re: Steaming Shekels
Post by: Barthheart on November 22, 2017, 01:59:24 PM
Hmmmm... I've always liked that Steam presented me with the $CDN value. It gave me an easier way to determine if I should really buy a game yet...
Title: Re: Steaming Shekels
Post by: Tpek on November 22, 2017, 02:00:04 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on November 22, 2017, 01:59:24 PM
Hmmmm... I've always liked that Steam presented me with the $CDN value. It gave me an easier way to determine if I should really buy a game yet...

Yeah, except I've got used to measuring game prices in USD by now.
So it really confuses me now :P
Title: Re: Steaming Shekels
Post by: Nefaro on November 22, 2017, 02:05:31 PM
Quote from: Tpek on November 22, 2017, 01:51:58 PM

but since Steam insists on regional pricing being set manually by publishers, half my wishlist is now unpurchaseable because the publishers have yet to enter
the new price for all the new different currencies.

#:-)  :uglystupid2:


Doah!


It should default to USD, or something, if the publisher doesn't set it.  IMO.

Title: Re: Steaming Shekels
Post by: Tpek on November 22, 2017, 03:36:54 PM
Also, the new Shekel prices are more expensive than the USD prices.
Title: Re: Steaming Shekels
Post by: OJsDad on November 22, 2017, 07:36:30 PM
Quote from: Tpek on November 22, 2017, 03:36:54 PM
Also, the new Shekel prices are more expensive than the USD prices.

Well, converting $1 to Shekels, comes 3.51. 

I looked up the price of HOI4: Cadet Edition, it's currently on sale for $15.99.  That means it should be about 56.13 Shekels. 
Title: Re: Steaming Shekels
Post by: Tpek on November 23, 2017, 12:14:43 PM
Quote from: OJsDad on November 22, 2017, 07:36:30 PM
Quote from: Tpek on November 22, 2017, 03:36:54 PM
Also, the new Shekel prices are more expensive than the USD prices.

Well, converting $1 to Shekels, comes 3.51. 

I looked up the price of HOI4: Cadet Edition, it's currently on sale for $15.99.  That means it should be about 56.13 Shekels.

56.30 NIS :P

However, if you go for more AAA titles, you'll find a higher discrepancy.
Title: Re: Steaming Shekels
Post by: bayonetbrant on November 23, 2017, 01:16:32 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on November 22, 2017, 01:59:24 PM
Hmmmm... I've always liked that Steam presented me with the $CDN value. It gave me an easier way to determine if I should really buy a game yet...

Yeah, but think of all the shipping costs you're not paying!
Title: Re: Steaming Shekels
Post by: Barthheart on November 23, 2017, 03:02:54 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 23, 2017, 01:16:32 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on November 22, 2017, 01:59:24 PM
Hmmmm... I've always liked that Steam presented me with the $CDN value. It gave me an easier way to determine if I should really buy a game yet...

Yeah, but think of all the shipping costs you're not paying!

And they are way easier to sneak into the house.....
Title: Re: Steaming Shekels
Post by: Tpek on November 23, 2017, 04:27:38 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on November 23, 2017, 03:02:54 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 23, 2017, 01:16:32 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on November 22, 2017, 01:59:24 PM
Hmmmm... I've always liked that Steam presented me with the $CDN value. It gave me an easier way to determine if I should really buy a game yet...

Yeah, but think of all the shipping costs you're not paying!

And they are way easier to sneak into the house.....

I don't have any problem of sneaking anything into my house (the joy of being single) :P
Title: Re: Steaming Shekels
Post by: Tpek on November 29, 2017, 12:44:03 PM
One of biggest additional drawbacks I have right now, is that I'm afraid to purchase games from places like GreenManGaming,
in fear that Steam will now refuse to recognize the Steam-Key (after all, Steam prices are now higher for me than in other places).
Title: Re: Steaming Shekels
Post by: Barthheart on November 29, 2017, 08:19:19 PM
Quote from: Tpek on November 29, 2017, 12:44:03 PM
One of biggest additional drawbacks I have right now, is that I'm afraid to purchase games from places like GreenManGaming,
in fear that Steam will now refuse to recognize the Steam-Key (after all, Steam prices are now higher for me than in other places).

Eh? Steam has no idea what you paid. GMG bought the key from Steam in the first place and they are re-selling it to you.
Title: Re: Steaming Shekels
Post by: Tpek on November 30, 2017, 04:50:13 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on November 29, 2017, 08:19:19 PM
Quote from: Tpek on November 29, 2017, 12:44:03 PM
One of biggest additional drawbacks I have right now, is that I'm afraid to purchase games from places like GreenManGaming,
in fear that Steam will now refuse to recognize the Steam-Key (after all, Steam prices are now higher for me than in other places).

Eh? Steam has no idea what you paid. GMG bought the key from Steam in the first place and they are re-selling it to you.

Keys for many games are region-locked because of prices.
So Steam might not accept GMG's keys for the Rest of World region now.
Title: Re: Steaming Shekels
Post by: Barthheart on November 30, 2017, 08:17:41 PM
Quote from: Tpek on November 30, 2017, 04:50:13 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on November 29, 2017, 08:19:19 PM
Quote from: Tpek on November 29, 2017, 12:44:03 PM
One of biggest additional drawbacks I have right now, is that I'm afraid to purchase games from places like GreenManGaming,
in fear that Steam will now refuse to recognize the Steam-Key (after all, Steam prices are now higher for me than in other places).

Eh? Steam has no idea what you paid. GMG bought the key from Steam in the first place and they are re-selling it to you.

Keys for many games are region-locked because of prices.
So Steam might not accept GMG's keys for the Rest of World region now.

Huh... did not know that...