Just saw this announcement over on Rock/Paper/Shotgun. https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/11/24/warhammer-40k-goes-4x-in-gladius-relics-of-war/#more-497035
Not impressed...one planet? Hardly the way a Warhammer 40K "4x" should be done...the Imperium contains millions of worlds. The emperor's navies are vast. One planet?
Also, if you're going to place the focus on war, how exactly is it going to be a 4x? No diplomacy, economy, research, etc. I dunno...looks more like a basic RTS to me. Not expecting much from this.
I will note, this is from the same studio that did Pandora: First Contact. I never really got into that game, but I think there are some around here who enjoyed it...
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 24, 2017, 09:51:18 AM
Also, if you're going to place the focus on war, how exactly is it going to be a 4x? No diplomacy, economy, research, etc. I dunno...not expecting much from this.
This comment on RPS kinda says it all :P
QuoteThe 40K version of 4X would be: Xterminate, Xterminate, Xterminate, Xterminate.
...it looks like an visual enhanced Pandora First Contact with a WH40k skin ?
Quote from: MikeGER on November 24, 2017, 10:07:31 AM
...it looks like an visual enhanced Pandora First Contact with a WH40k skin ?
Didn't see that when I first viewed it but I went back and indeed I agree!
I am a casual WH40k fan at best but I thought the same thing as JH...
Not impressed until pointed out that it could be enhanced Pandora First Contact
Now it's let me see more.
Quote from: fabius on November 24, 2017, 05:41:51 PM
Now it's let me see more.
the developers stream it on Twitch on December 1, 7pm GMT
Oh yes, it's in the diary.
The announcement trailer made it looked to me like a clicky twitchy RTS, but Slitherine page has it as "Turn Based", which = happy.
Quote from: fabius on November 25, 2017, 05:39:21 AM
Oh yes, it's in the diary.
The announcement trailer made it looked to me like a clicky twitchy RTS, but Slitherine page has it as "Turn Based", which = happy.
There are subtle hexes if you pay attention.
JH nailed it.
You have one of the richest, if cheesiest, IPs in gaming and you do a one-planet, four faction re-skin? The idea that a 40k 4x would be set on a single planet is a manifest absurdity that should never have left a design document.
It amazes me that Slitherine can release FoGII, SoW, and even a little gem like Quadriga while at the same time turning out junk like Armageddon and what this, at first blush, seems to be. We'd have been far better served by a digital implementation of "Forbidden Stars".
Quote from: jomni on November 25, 2017, 07:24:55 AM
There are subtle hexes if you pay attention.
Yeah, oops, but they are kind of drowned out by marketing razzle.
Quote from: Cyrano on November 25, 2017, 11:58:33 AM
JH nailed it.
You have one of the richest, if cheesiest, IPs in gaming and you do a one-planet, four faction re-skin? The idea that a 40k 4x would be set on a single planet is a manifest absurdity that should never have left a design document.
It amazes me that Slitherine can release FoGII, SoW, and even a little gem like Quadriga while at the same time turning out junk like Armageddon and what this, at first blush, seems to be. We'd have been far better served by a digital implementation of "Forbidden Stars".
Yes yes, A proper 40K 4x is so wanted. Was hoping TW would go to it sometime after their current fantasy line.
In the meantime, this could be way better than single battle tbs or RTS offerings. An intermediary that could again help raise the profit viability.
Don't mention Forbidden Stars, so tragic there are no expansions...
Why is it that 90% of the games these days that use the WH40K IP are either crappy mobile cash-fests or reskins of existing games?
^^Because those sell. We the general gaming public don't exactly push for new product when we scoop up those reskins and cash-fests.
Well Pandora was Civilization on an alien planet before Civilization itself did that with Beyond Earth, and that's just the one planet. It's probably better to think of this like a "Civilisation" game than a 4X, even though on paper those are technically the same thing (but not really).
I had a thought that Warlock: Masters of the Arcane and Warlock 2: The Exiled might have some lessons to impart for this - more PvE focused and less concerned with building a civilization, which Gladius wouldn't be too concerned about either.
Yeah. The 4x games that have a vigorous and entertaining PvE component in the early and even mid game are far more enjoyable to me. AI just isn't smart enough to win most games against a human player in symmetrical warfare, unless you give them obscene bonuses (in which case it just becomes a matter of respawning game starts until you get a sufficiently favorable starting location to win).
Despite its flaws, I enjoyed Pandora, so I'll be surprised if I don't end up getting Gladius as well. Pandora was more of a sci-fi wargame anyway, so I see this as actually being a pretty good fit.
For goodness sake make it wego and battles to scale. No epicness in 5 men representing 1000.