GrogHeads Forum

IRL (In Real Life) => Music, TV, Movies => Topic started by: MetalDog on November 26, 2017, 04:11:50 PM

Poll
Question: 1978 Round of 16
Option 1: This is the 1/16 matchup.  Please pick one. votes: 0
Option 2: 1 Stayin' Alive - Bee Gees votes: 10
Option 3: 16 Le Freak - Chic votes: 4
Option 4: This is the 8/9 matchup.  Please pick one. votes: 0
Option 5: 8 Y.M.C.A. - Village People votes: 4
Option 6: 9 I Love the Nightlife - Alicia Bridges votes: 10
Option 7: This is the 5/12 matchup.  Please pick one. votes: 0
Option 8: 5 Life's Been Good - Joe Walsh votes: 8
Option 9: 12 Deacon Blues - Steely Dan votes: 6
Option 10: This is the 4/13 matchup.  Please pick one. votes: 0
Option 11: 4 Who Are You - The Who votes: 11
Option 12: 13 I Want You to Want Me - Cheap Trick votes: 4
Option 13: This is the 6/11 matchup.  Please pick one. votes: 0
Option 14: 6 Bicycle Race - Queen votes: 7
Option 15: 11 Hollywood Nights - Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band votes: 8
Option 16: This is the 3/14 matchup.  Please pick one. votes: 0
Option 17: 3 Roxanne - The Police votes: 10
Option 18: 14 What's Your Name - Lynyrd Skynyrd votes: 5
Option 19: This is the 7/10 matchup.  Please pick one. votes: 0
Option 20: 7 Godzilla - Blue Oyster Cult votes: 8
Option 21: 10 Runnin' with the Devil - Van Halen votes: 6
Option 22: This is the 2/15 matchup.  Please pick one. votes: 0
Option 23: 2 Sultans of Swing - Dire Straits votes: 12
Option 24: 15 Miss You - Rolling Stones votes: 3
Title: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1978 Round of 16
Post by: MetalDog on November 26, 2017, 04:11:50 PM
I spent a lot of hours putting this one together, so, I hope 1978 is super difficult for you.  Love it or hate it, I included some disco.  Including the number 1 seed, Stayin' Alive.  And to make it even sweeter, I chose a version from Saturday Night Fever with Travolta gettin' DOWN!  Sultans of Swing sits at the opposite end of the Bracket.  In between are fourteen more songs that epitomize 1978.

As always, thank you for following along and voting.  Even if you get it wrong some times.  :-" :hug:


The 1/16





The 8/9





The 5/12





The 4/13





The 6/11





The 3/14





The 7/10





The 2/15



Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1978 Round of 16
Post by: bayonetbrant on November 26, 2017, 05:25:33 PM
A much better slate than I think I would've just randomly expected if someone had asked me for the best songs of '78.  Some great choices in there  O0
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1978 Round of 16
Post by: trailrunner on November 26, 2017, 06:10:27 PM
Ahh, 1978.  The end of my junior year of high school and the start of my senior year.  I had a bike, a truck, a job that gave me enough money to buy beer (or something stronger), but no real responsibilities except for wrapping up school.  I had a couple of good friends, and we sure had some good fun.  Back then, SNL was funny, but if you wanted to watch it, you had to be in front of the TV at 11:30 pm.  I believe the musical act that opened the 1978-79 SNL season was the Stones, and I remember going over to my girlfriend's house to watch it because her parents weren't home  O0  Life was very very good. 

Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1978 Round of 16
Post by: MetalDog on November 26, 2017, 06:14:27 PM
Glad y'all liked it!   :bd:
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1978 Round of 16
Post by: bayonetbrant on November 26, 2017, 06:15:52 PM
Quote from: trailrunner on November 26, 2017, 06:10:27 PMLife was very very good. 


that sure sounds like it
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1978 Round of 16
Post by: trailrunner on November 26, 2017, 06:21:19 PM
ETA a couple of stories that connect me to the songs in this bracket:

I think it was the summer of 1978 (might've been 79) when Pat Travers, UFO, Blue Oyster Cult, and Cheap Trick came to San Diego stadium (which was later called Jack Murphy stadium, but now I think is called Qualcomm stadium).  It was a nice summer night for a huge outdoor concert.  By the time BOC came, my friend and I had pushed our way almost to the front of the stage.  We could look up and see the band paying in front of us, with 50,000 people (or whatever) behind us.  BOC was good (I especially remember Godzilla), but Cheap Trick was awesome.  I still remember the sweat pouring off them, and we were so close it felt like we could touch them.  They were playing right in front of us!

That summer, I had heard of a band called Van Halen.  They were coming to the San Diego sports arena (indoor) in the fall, and I bought six tickets to the show, without knowing who I would be going with.  When school started, Van Halen was the buzz, and everyone wanted to go to the concert, but it was sold out.  Except I had six tickets!  So me and five buddies drove to the show in my friend's LTD station wagon, drinking Southern Comfort mixed with Squirt out of a gallon milk jug.  Black Sabbath was the opening act, and I think I fell asleep during their performance, but for sure I woke up for Van Halen!  What a great show. 

As I said, life was very very good!
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1978 Round of 16
Post by: Emeraldlis on November 27, 2017, 02:26:09 PM
Well MD, your hours of pouring over the music for '78 was not wasted! That's a really cool line up of music... You only went and out did yourself!!!! Outstanding  O0 thanks MD  :clap:  :)  A few of those choices were super difficult to decide about for me   :o the who versus cheap tricks, and dire straits V's the rolling stones, nearly sent my head into a melt down choosing between them.... Argh  :tickedoff:  <------ that's me furiously talking myself through the choices ------>  :tickedoff: hahahaha!!!!!  And I loved the inclusion of the video, of John Travolta gettin' his disco strut on for stayin' alive... Nice one   :D


Quote from: trailrunner on November 26, 2017, 06:21:19 PM
ETA a couple of stories that connect me to the songs in this bracket:

I think it was the summer of 1978 (might've been 79) when Pat Travers, UFO, Blue Oyster Cult, and Cheap Trick came to San Diego stadium (which was later called Jack Murphy stadium, but now I think is called Qualcomm stadium).  It was a nice summer night for a huge outdoor concert.  By the time BOC came, my friend and I had pushed our way almost to the front of the stage.  We could look up and see the band paying in front of us, with 50,000 people (or whatever) behind us.  BOC was good (I especially remember Godzilla), but Cheap Trick was awesome.  I still remember the sweat pouring off them, and we were so close it felt like we could touch them.  They were playing right in front of us!

That summer, I had heard of a band called Van Halen.  They were coming to the San Diego sports arena (indoor) in the fall, and I bought six tickets to the show, without knowing who I would be going with.  When school started, Van Halen was the buzz, and everyone wanted to go to the concert, but it was sold out.  Except I had six tickets!  So me and five buddies drove to the show in my friend's LTD station wagon, drinking Southern Comfort mixed with Squirt out of a gallon milk jug.  Black Sabbath was the opening act, and I think I fell asleep during their performance, but for sure I woke up for Van Halen!  What a great show. 

As I said, life was very very good!

That's just a very cool story trailrunner  :bd: The summer of '78 sounds like it was a ton of fun for you!!!!! The atmosphere at the outdoor concert must have been buzzing, it sounds well cool  8)  I've never heard of the drink you mentioned, I mean I've had Southern comfort... Very nice drink  :) but I've not heard of that mix before. What is squirt? Is this a states thing!
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1978 Round of 16
Post by: trailrunner on November 27, 2017, 05:04:27 PM
Quote from: Emeraldlis on November 27, 2017, 02:26:09 PM

That's just a very cool story trailrunner  :bd: The summer of '78 sounds like it was a ton of fun for you!!!!! The atmosphere at the outdoor concert must have been buzzing, it sounds well cool  8)  I've never heard of the drink you mentioned, I mean I've had Southern comfort... Very nice drink  :) but I've not heard of that mix before. What is squirt? Is this a states thing!

Squirt was a soft drink that was sort of a tangy lemon lime.  I think it balanced out the sweetness of Southern Comfort and made sort of a Tom Collins type of drink.  It was pretty easy to drink.

EDIT: I just looked up Squirt.  It was based on grapefruit juice.  That's where it got the tangy flavor.

Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1978 Round of 16
Post by: Barthheart on November 27, 2017, 07:36:23 PM
Great spread of songs MD! Some tough choices in there.
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1978 Round of 16
Post by: MetalDog on November 27, 2017, 08:39:25 PM
Thanks for the kind words, folks!  At the last minute I cut Wheel in the Sky by Journey for Miss You by the Stones.  Didn't think Dire Straits would lose to either one ;)
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1978 Round of 16
Post by: bayonetbrant on November 27, 2017, 10:25:25 PM
I like you Wheel in the Sky better, but I can totally get why you'd put Miss You in there instead
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1978 Round of 16
Post by: Tuna on November 28, 2017, 06:47:31 AM
Miss You made my friends and I very angry, the Stones had gone Disco! Sacrilege !!
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1978 Round of 16
Post by: bayonetbrant on November 28, 2017, 07:30:14 AM
Quote from: Tuna on November 28, 2017, 06:47:31 AM
Miss You made my friends and I very angry, the Stones had gone Disco! Sacrilege !!

[yt]https://youtu.be/5KGe_X77k0E[/yt]
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1978 Round of 16
Post by: Emeraldlis on November 28, 2017, 10:53:06 AM
Quote from: trailrunner on November 27, 2017, 05:04:27 PM
Quote from: Emeraldlis on November 27, 2017, 02:26:09 PM

That's just a very cool story trailrunner  :bd: The summer of '78 sounds like it was a ton of fun for you!!!!! The atmosphere at the outdoor concert must have been buzzing, it sounds well cool  8)  I've never heard of the drink you mentioned, I mean I've had Southern comfort... Very nice drink  :) but I've not heard of that mix before. What is squirt? Is this a states thing!

Squirt was a soft drink that was sort of a tangy lemon lime.  I think it balanced out the sweetness of Southern Comfort and made sort of a Tom Collins type of drink.  It was pretty easy to drink.

EDIT: I just looked up Squirt.  It was based on grapefruit juice.  That's where it got the tangy flavor.



That sounds really nice, the perfect summer drink for a party in the park... Or arena!!!! I like grapefruit too, I'll have to try that mix  O0 I feel the purchase of a bottle of southern comfort happening later.......

Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 28, 2017, 07:30:14 AM
Quote from: Tuna on November 28, 2017, 06:47:31 AM
Miss You made my friends and I very angry, the Stones had gone Disco! Sacrilege !!

[yt]https://youtu.be/5KGe_X77k0E[/yt]

I'm really feeling that music!!! That's a very cool version of the stones record  O0
Title: Re: Decades Feeder Bracket - 1978 Round of 16
Post by: Tuna on November 29, 2017, 06:38:48 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 28, 2017, 07:30:14 AM
Quote from: Tuna on November 28, 2017, 06:47:31 AM
Miss You made my friends and I very angry, the Stones had gone Disco! Sacrilege !!

[yt]https://youtu.be/5KGe_X77k0E[/yt]

Very good!