GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Destraex on November 26, 2017, 05:29:32 PM

Title: Rising Storm2:Vietnam - Australians are free on Tuesday, November 28th
Post by: Destraex on November 26, 2017, 05:29:32 PM
(https://s3-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/awm-media/collection/P02975.058/screen/3819370.JPG)

Australia had a lot of navy vessels involved including two carriers which were really just used as supply ferries.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.au104.org%2FMemorabilia%2FImages%2F104Sigs_Mem17-6.jpg&hash=1345cf482fcaa1a08e7b865942080e700d1471f3)

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fmediad.publicbroadcasting.net%2Fp%2Fupr%2Ffiles%2Fstyles%2Fmedium%2Fpublic%2F201503%2Fvietnam_war_soldiers.jpg&hash=8adb0d14233d41ad819470dc2130fd0244beaa98)
[/list]

Australian Forces will be fighting it out in 3 new official maps

Some Aussie footage of our soldiers with an Aussie song about the vietnam war


[/list]

https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/forum/rising-storm-2-vietnam/rs2-vietnam-news-and-announcements/news-and-announcements-ag/2309361-bushranger-content-update-release-date-announcement

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.akamai.steamstatic.com%2Fsteamcommunity%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fclans%2F11536098%2Fb6530def0a99f7ff415a73d3389e7c0def904606.jpg&hash=55d609e74fb6717d11c4c9ee91f422133e5f3def)

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.akamai.steamstatic.com%2Fsteamcommunity%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fclans%2F11536098%2F2487175650dca47bc5512e6a43ddb495409e2ae0.jpg&hash=d01381933cd24685e0fd6bde9ed9c8b58e52e462)
Title: Re: Rising Storm2:Vietnam - Australians are free on Tuesday, November 28th
Post by: Jarhead0331 on November 26, 2017, 06:29:33 PM
Is anyone really playing this? Doesn't seem nearly as popular as the WWII version.

Since I'm much more into a sp experience, every time I get the urge for some Nam gaming, I play Unsung Vietnam for ARMA. It's really an amazing accomplishment.

Anyway, glad to RS expanding and cool to see those FALs!
Title: Re: Rising Storm2:Vietnam - Australians are free on Tuesday, November 28th
Post by: jomni on November 26, 2017, 07:04:25 PM
I used to play a lot of this. Good enough server population then.
Title: Re: Rising Storm2:Vietnam - Australians are free on Tuesday, November 28th
Post by: Nefaro on November 26, 2017, 08:44:18 PM
I'd be playing this one, if I were into FPSes right now.

When I get the rare FPS urge, it's top of the list.  Especially if they keep adding more stuff.   :bd:
Title: Re: Rising Storm2:Vietnam - Australians are free on Tuesday, November 28th
Post by: Destraex on November 27, 2017, 01:21:42 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 26, 2017, 06:29:33 PM
Is anyone really playing this? Doesn't seem nearly as popular as the WWII version.

Since I'm much more into a sp experience, every time I get the urge for some Nam gaming, I play Unsung Vietnam for ARMA. It's really an amazing accomplishment.

Anyway, glad to RS expanding and cool to see those FALs!

There are always full servers in my region. I have 4 or 5 mates that love it. I think its the best multiplayer Vietnam experience there is. I must check out the arms mod sometime. Is there a huge population for it or is it mainly single player? I assume unsung is for arma3?

Some rising storm 2 Vietnam servers have a huge amount of good quality community maps on rotation and auto download. Keeps it fresh.
Title: Re: Rising Storm2:Vietnam - Australians are free on Tuesday, November 28th
Post by: Destraex on November 27, 2017, 04:00:03 AM
The Aussies will be hard to play as well. They do not have the same squad automatic firepower as the americans or vietnamese do.
Most diggers are armed with the SLR which is only semi auto.
Title: Re: Rising Storm2:Vietnam - Australians are free on Tuesday, November 28th
Post by: Toonces on November 27, 2017, 07:17:24 AM
You know, I'm not sure I even realized Aussies fought in the Vietnam War.  What was their interest in the conflict?  Was it just supporting an ally?
Title: Re: Rising Storm2:Vietnam - Australians are free on Tuesday, November 28th
Post by: bob48 on November 27, 2017, 07:20:42 AM
Part of SEATO as far as I know. You should read up on the battle of Long Tan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Long_Tan
Title: Re: Rising Storm2:Vietnam - Australians are free on Tuesday, November 28th
Post by: Jarhead0331 on November 27, 2017, 07:21:18 AM
Quote from: Toonces on November 27, 2017, 07:17:24 AM
You know, I'm not sure I even realized Aussies fought in the Vietnam War.  What was their interest in the conflict?  Was it just supporting an ally?

Cause killing commies was all the rage back then. Australia, like the US, was committed to stemming the Red tide.
Title: Re: Rising Storm2:Vietnam - Australians are free on Tuesday, November 28th
Post by: Toonces on November 27, 2017, 07:24:35 AM
Huh.  Well damn man, I guess I should have known this.  I consider myself pretty well-read but Aussie participation in Vietnam was something I haven't come across before; or if I have, I'd forgotten it.
Title: Re: Rising Storm2:Vietnam - Australians are free on Tuesday, November 28th
Post by: jomni on November 27, 2017, 07:41:26 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 27, 2017, 07:21:18 AM
Quote from: Toonces on November 27, 2017, 07:17:24 AM
You know, I'm not sure I even realized Aussies fought in the Vietnam War.  What was their interest in the conflict?  Was it just supporting an ally?

Cause killing commies was all the rage back then. Australia, like the US, was committed to stemming the Red tide.

You also have Korea, Philippines, etc.
Title: Re: Rising Storm2:Vietnam - Australians are free on Tuesday, November 28th
Post by: Jarhead0331 on November 27, 2017, 08:05:40 AM
^yup. South Koreans in country were particularly feared by the Vietcong and NVA.
Title: Re: Rising Storm2:Vietnam - Australians are free on Tuesday, November 28th
Post by: Toonces on November 27, 2017, 08:08:57 AM
I knew about the S. Koreans, and that they are total bad asses.  I suspect that will be a DLC at some point as well?

Frankly I had completely forgotten about this game.  I'm going to need to pick this up over the Xmas break and see what it's all about.  I love Rising Storm 1/Red Orchestra 2.
Title: Re: Rising Storm2:Vietnam - Australians are free on Tuesday, November 28th
Post by: Destraex on November 27, 2017, 08:44:13 AM
Toonces it's $12 right now for the next little while until the sales are over.
Title: Re: Rising Storm2:Vietnam - Australians are free on Tuesday, November 28th
Post by: Destraex on November 27, 2017, 08:57:05 AM
Oh and since federation we have supported either the British empire or the united states. We were not really around as a country to support the Brits in the war of independence. 1788 was when our colonial history began.
These days its a balance of old security alliances with the US and trade partnerships with the Chinese.
I am reading "Australian military operations in Vietnam by albert palazzo" for a bit of background.
Title: Re: Rising Storm2:Vietnam - Australians are free on Tuesday, November 28th
Post by: Nefaro on November 27, 2017, 02:26:53 PM
Quote from: Toonces on November 27, 2017, 07:17:24 AM
You know, I'm not sure I even realized Aussies fought in the Vietnam War.  What was their interest in the conflict?  Was it just supporting an ally?

Other notable participants with combat troops in-country:

South Korea
Canada
Title: Re: Rising Storm2:Vietnam - Australians are free on Tuesday, November 28th
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 27, 2017, 02:34:03 PM
Canada?  Nope, not in any official capacity.  Lots of Canucks crossed the border to sign up with US forces on their own initiative but apart from a few observers sent over under UN auspices, Canada stayed out.

Are they adding Kiwis to the ANZAC stuff?  Wonder if they'll add Koreans and Thais at a later date.
Title: Re: Rising Storm2:Vietnam - Australians are free on Tuesday, November 28th
Post by: Nefaro on November 27, 2017, 02:46:32 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 27, 2017, 02:34:03 PM
Canada?  Nope, not in any official capacity.  Lots of Canucks crossed the border to sign up with US forces on their own initiative but apart from a few observers sent over under UN auspices, Canada stayed out.

Are they adding Kiwis to the ANZAC stuff?  Wonder if they'll add Koreans and Thais at a later date.

I should've said, "Canadians" in general, and not specifically Canada.

There are reports that ~ 30,000 Canadians volunteered.   Not an insignificant number.
Title: Re: Rising Storm2:Vietnam - Australians are free on Tuesday, November 28th
Post by: Destraex on November 27, 2017, 04:41:02 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 27, 2017, 02:34:03 PM
Canada?  Nope, not in any official capacity.  Lots of Canucks crossed the border to sign up with US forces on their own initiative but apart from a few observers sent over under UN auspices, Canada stayed out.

Are they adding Kiwis to the ANZAC stuff?  Wonder if they'll add Koreans and Thais at a later date.

Don't know, id like to see them. The NZ govt for a long time refused to send actual combat troops and when it did they were an artillery unit only for a long time and then only a few companies of infantry integrated into the Australian units to form ANZAC units.
The eventually sent SAS as well but again they served with the Australian SAS although many of their patrols were separate.

"Over the five-year period, more than 1600 New Zealand soldiers of the nine NZ rifle companies engaged in a constant round of jungle patrols, ambushes, and cordon-and-search operations,[9] in both Australian-led and independently conducted operations."
Title: Re: Rising Storm2:Vietnam - Australians are free on Tuesday, November 28th
Post by: Destraex on November 27, 2017, 04:44:16 PM
I did not realise the south korean involvement was 300,000 men!!! Holy crap. That's over triple the Australians.
These guys definitely need to be in game as a side. Did they operate independently. I am sure with those numbers that they did.
Title: Re: Rising Storm2:Vietnam - Australians are free on Tuesday, November 28th
Post by: Destraex on November 27, 2017, 04:45:06 PM
How would you do the south Vietnamese army though. Considering how ineffective they were. Rarely left their bases from what I heard.
Title: Re: Rising Storm2:Vietnam - Australians are free on Tuesday, November 28th
Post by: Jarhead0331 on November 27, 2017, 04:47:44 PM
Quote from: Destraex on November 27, 2017, 04:45:06 PM
How would you do the south Vietnamese army though. Considering how ineffective they were. Rarely left their bases from what I heard.

I think that is incorrect. I believe the South Vietnamese army made a good showing of themselves under the circumstances, losing an estimated 200,000 to 250,000 soldiers in the conflict. I think if they had any shortcoming, it was in their leadership, not in the capability or courage of the individual fighting man.

If interested:

https://www.amazon.com/South-Vietnamese-Soldiers-Memories-Vietnam/dp/1440832412 (https://www.amazon.com/South-Vietnamese-Soldiers-Memories-Vietnam/dp/1440832412)
Title: Re: Rising Storm2:Vietnam - Australians are free on Tuesday, November 28th
Post by: mirth on November 27, 2017, 04:51:34 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 27, 2017, 04:47:44 PM
I think if they had any shortcoming, it was in their leadership, not in the capability or courage of the individual fighting man.

this
Title: Re: Rising Storm2:Vietnam - Australians are free on Tuesday, November 28th
Post by: Destraex on November 27, 2017, 05:16:06 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 27, 2017, 04:47:44 PM
Quote from: Destraex on November 27, 2017, 04:45:06 PM
How would you do the south Vietnamese army though. Considering how ineffective they were. Rarely left their bases from what I heard.

I think that is incorrect. I believe the South Vietnamese army made a good showing of themselves under the circumstances, losing an estimated 200,000 to 250,000 soldiers in the conflict. I think if they had any shortcoming, it was in their leadership, not in the capability or courage of the individual fighting man.

If interested:

https://www.amazon.com/South-Vietnamese-Soldiers-Memories-Vietnam/dp/1440832412 (https://www.amazon.com/South-Vietnamese-Soldiers-Memories-Vietnam/dp/1440832412)

I see. I had read in a few places that both the Americans and Australians basically ignored them because they went purely defensive...
I am no expert on this war though. So it bears further researching.
Title: Re: Rising Storm2:Vietnam - Australians are free on Tuesday, November 28th
Post by: Toonces on November 27, 2017, 05:22:31 PM
Yep, I'm starting to realize how little I know about this war.   :-[
Title: Re: Rising Storm2:Vietnam - Australians are free on Tuesday, November 28th
Post by: Jarhead0331 on November 27, 2017, 05:25:06 PM
Quote from: Destraex on November 27, 2017, 05:16:06 PM

I see. I had read in a few places that both the Americans and Australians basically ignored them because they went purely defensive...

Yeah. I don't think that's reality.

Look up "52nd Ranger Battalion". South Vietnamese Rangers were notoriously known as being aggressive badasses and while the majority of the South Vietnamese Army did not have their training, leadership or esprit de corps, I again think that the number of losses they incurred alone, reveals that they were not, as a general matter, afraid to fight. When properly led South Vietnamese soldiers could definitely go toe to toe with their NVA counterparts. Remember, Vietcong were themselves, South Vietnamese...so willingness to sacrifice and take risks under fire is clearly a matter of leadership, morale and to some extent, indoctrination...not the side of of the DMZ that a particular individual came from.
Title: Re: Rising Storm2:Vietnam - Australians are free on Tuesday, November 28th
Post by: Destraex on November 27, 2017, 05:26:12 PM
This is from the book I am reading. Which is actually an "Australian Army Campaigns" series book sold at our war memorial and intended to be educational.
This and other passing mentions of them in books is why I formed the opinion I did and said I had "heard" (read but not comprehensively).
I guess though the quotes below are just referring to the equivalent of reserves or militia in the ARVN.

I actually wonder what the Americans thought of the Australians. No doubt they just thought of us as a pain in the but to be integrated and worked with for political reasons :P

(https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4565/37799604955_33b11ed738_b.jpg)
Title: Re: Rising Storm2:Vietnam - Australians are free on Tuesday, November 28th
Post by: Jarhead0331 on November 27, 2017, 05:28:28 PM
That is one guy's opinion of "provincial" troops. Hardly a compelling account of the literally millions of South Vietnamese that served in that war.
Title: Re: Rising Storm2:Vietnam - Australians are free on Tuesday, November 28th
Post by: Destraex on November 27, 2017, 05:31:25 PM
Yes I did notice that.
Title: Re: Rising Storm2:Vietnam - Australians are free on Tuesday, November 28th
Post by: mirth on November 27, 2017, 05:36:09 PM
When competently led ARVN units generally fought hard and with skill.
Title: Re: Rising Storm2:Vietnam - Australians are free on Tuesday, November 28th
Post by: Destraex on November 27, 2017, 05:38:28 PM
You know I do think they might have plans to add the ARVN. I wonder if they would add the Chinese army?
320,000 Chinese troops were allegedly deployed to vietnam? Were they used in combat?
Title: Re: Rising Storm2:Vietnam - Australians are free on Tuesday, November 28th
Post by: jomni on November 27, 2017, 05:39:17 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 27, 2017, 04:47:44 PM
Quote from: Destraex on November 27, 2017, 04:45:06 PM
How would you do the south Vietnamese army though. Considering how ineffective they were. Rarely left their bases from what I heard.

I think that is incorrect. I believe the South Vietnamese army made a good showing of themselves under the circumstances, losing an estimated 200,000 to 250,000 soldiers in the conflict. I think if they had any shortcoming, it was in their leadership, not in the capability or courage of the individual fighting man.

If interested:

https://www.amazon.com/South-Vietnamese-Soldiers-Memories-Vietnam/dp/1440832412 (https://www.amazon.com/South-Vietnamese-Soldiers-Memories-Vietnam/dp/1440832412)

There are South Vietnam Rangers who were bad ass.
Title: Re: Rising Storm2:Vietnam - Australians are free on Tuesday, November 28th
Post by: Jarhead0331 on November 27, 2017, 05:40:24 PM
Quote from: Destraex on November 27, 2017, 05:38:28 PM
You know I do think they might have plans to add the ARVN. I wonder if they would add the Chinese army?
320,000 Chinese troops were allegedly deployed to vietnam? Were they used in combat?

I am aware of no confirmed combat between US forces and Chinese ground troops during US involvement in Vietnam and I have studied the subject at length. Doesn't mean it didn't happen though, of course. It also does not make sense since China is traditionally an enemy of Vietnam and has actually invaded Vietnam on a few occasions throughout history, including in the late 1970s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Vietnamese_War (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Vietnamese_War)

(TL;DR - The Chinese got their asses handed to them by the Vietnamese)

I actually think its a bit offensive that they would not add ARVN troops to the game. In fact, no disrespect, but they should do that before they add Aussies.
Title: Re: Rising Storm2:Vietnam - Australians are free on Tuesday, November 28th
Post by: Jarhead0331 on November 27, 2017, 05:42:32 PM
Quote from: jomni on November 27, 2017, 05:39:17 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 27, 2017, 04:47:44 PM
Quote from: Destraex on November 27, 2017, 04:45:06 PM
How would you do the south Vietnamese army though. Considering how ineffective they were. Rarely left their bases from what I heard.

I think that is incorrect. I believe the South Vietnamese army made a good showing of themselves under the circumstances, losing an estimated 200,000 to 250,000 soldiers in the conflict. I think if they had any shortcoming, it was in their leadership, not in the capability or courage of the individual fighting man.

If interested:

https://www.amazon.com/South-Vietnamese-Soldiers-Memories-Vietnam/dp/1440832412 (https://www.amazon.com/South-Vietnamese-Soldiers-Memories-Vietnam/dp/1440832412)

There are South Vietnam Rangers who were bad ass.

Yup. I mentioned them above. The 52nd Ranger Bn.
Title: Re: Rising Storm2:Vietnam - Australians are free on Tuesday, November 28th
Post by: Destraex on November 27, 2017, 05:49:30 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 27, 2017, 05:40:24 PM
Quote from: Destraex on November 27, 2017, 05:38:28 PM
You know I do think they might have plans to add the ARVN. I wonder if they would add the Chinese army?
320,000 Chinese troops were allegedly deployed to vietnam? Were they used in combat?

I am aware of no confirmed combat between US forces and Chinese ground troops during US involvement in Vietnam and I have studied the subject at length. Doesn't mean it didn't happen though, of course. It also does not make sense since China is traditionally an enemy of Vietnam and has actually invaded Vietnam on a few occasions throughout history, including in the late 1970s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Vietnamese_War (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Vietnamese_War)

(TL;DR - The Chinese got their asses handed to them by the Vietnamese)

I actually think its a bit offensive that they would not add ARVN troops to the game. In fact, no disrespect, but they should do that before they add Aussies.

You are probably right about ARVN being added before the Australians, perhaps even before the Americans if you want to cover the "advisor" days. But I will be glad to play Aussies in game as it is rare our diggers get anything game wise.
Some people I know wanted to see the French added as well.
Title: Re: Rising Storm2:Vietnam - Australians are free on Tuesday, November 28th
Post by: Jarhead0331 on November 27, 2017, 06:43:51 PM
Quote from: Destraex on November 27, 2017, 05:49:30 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 27, 2017, 05:40:24 PM
Quote from: Destraex on November 27, 2017, 05:38:28 PM
You know I do think they might have plans to add the ARVN. I wonder if they would add the Chinese army?
320,000 Chinese troops were allegedly deployed to vietnam? Were they used in combat?

I am aware of no confirmed combat between US forces and Chinese ground troops during US involvement in Vietnam and I have studied the subject at length. Doesn't mean it didn't happen though, of course. It also does not make sense since China is traditionally an enemy of Vietnam and has actually invaded Vietnam on a few occasions throughout history, including in the late 1970s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Vietnamese_War (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Vietnamese_War)

(TL;DR - The Chinese got their asses handed to them by the Vietnamese)

I actually think its a bit offensive that they would not add ARVN troops to the game. In fact, no disrespect, but they should do that before they add Aussies.

You are probably right about ARVN being added before the Australians, perhaps even before the Americans if you want to cover the "advisor" days. But I will be glad to play Aussies in game as it is rare our diggers get anything game wise.
Some people I know wanted to see the French added as well.

FWIW, Bohemia released a module for VBS-1 back in the day that covered the Australian experience in Vietnam. It was a very unique and well researched module for the game.
Title: Re: Rising Storm2:Vietnam - Australians are free on Tuesday, November 28th
Post by: Destraex on November 27, 2017, 09:43:15 PM
Did not know that at all. Vbs was an army contracted program iirc.
Title: Re: Rising Storm2:Vietnam - Australians are free on Tuesday, November 28th
Post by: Nefaro on November 27, 2017, 10:02:35 PM
The Chinese were assisting North Vietnam at the time of the war, last I recall.  Despite their quick fallout, directly afterward, which led to a short and unsuccessful Chinese invasion of the North. 

I think the Chinese forces were posted in the North.  Largely training & equipment stuff.  Rumors of them 'helping' out with the AA defenses & such.  Probably tagged as "advisors", instructors (air force & air defenses), and supply types. 
Title: Re: Rising Storm2:Vietnam - Australians are free on Tuesday, November 28th
Post by: Destraex on November 28, 2017, 05:55:41 PM
Well. It's out. But the steam download is jammed up.
Apparently the new zealanders are in looking at the guy with the m79.
(https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4539/37992537994_48ed49545d_b.jpg)
Title: Re: Rising Storm2:Vietnam - Australians are free on Tuesday, November 28th
Post by: Destraex on November 29, 2017, 07:51:12 AM
The accents are really funny in this, you Americans must hear yourselves in games all the time and think it's strange. When you go out of bounds it says "where do you bloody think your going" or "ya soft bastard get back here". These are things that would definitely be said, but are kind of cliche in this day and age. We say it as a joke these days and the voices may be over done. I could not hear over all of the other Aussies in the servers acting like real larrikins and exaggerating their own accents.

The maps are really atmospheric and it is nice to have the 7.62 stopping power of the SLR. I must play US with the M14.
Semi Auto only but as you can see... pic below of my achievement. It goes through things a little better. More punch.

This is a great content addon (as if I would say anything else cobbers). It has caused at least one of my friends to purchase.
Could do with some M113s and Centurion tanks that the Aussies used in Vietnam.

I would pay pay for ARVN though and south korean just to honour them as I now feel guilty as Jar said that the Aussies got this attention.

(https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4572/24848544518_599ec45666_b.jpg)

(https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4565/24848543798_a4b68c9edb_b.jpg)

(https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4525/24848543028_89ded6a867_b.jpg)

(https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4533/24848542418_534d3d5eb7_b.jpg)

(https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4524/37833922875_b8dde7bf5e_b.jpg)

(https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4578/37833922515_a71f3cdcda_b.jpg)

(https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4561/37833922355_5a5236f0f1_b.jpg)

(https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4574/37833921755_f1349623b6_b.jpg)

(https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4530/37833921185_051175867f_b.jpg)

(https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4540/37833920735_9e43246e54_b.jpg)

(https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4569/37833920025_17c7776ab8_b.jpg)