Just wondering if anyone has it and how much more (or less) it gives than Target for Today (aka B-17 Queen of the Skies). I was a wee bit disappointed that none of the stuff was mounted...but I what's the gameplay like?
I'm not convinced I have space for another QotS type game as I have QotS and recently bought (and not played) TfT...but I wanted to see what people thought about what what this brings to the table.
hi there! i'm eyeing 'A Wing and a Prayer', too... what do you mean, 'the stuff was not mounted'? (never bought from LnL before...)
JD, I have A Wing and a Prayer. I'm finishing up a review of it by this weekend.
I do not own Target For Today.
That all said, Target For Today, I think, is closer to QotS than A Wing And A Prayer. That's not a knock against AWAAP. The LnL title lets you control a squadron of B-17s, and each B-17 has a crew counter. Green crews are represented by generic counters, while more experienced crews are represented by bomber names. David had told me that some people didn't like that at all; they wanted ALL the bombers to have crew names, but his thought (and mine, too, the moment I saw it in the game, before I spoke to him) was that the green crews are basically the newbies that the veterans don't want to waste time getting to know - in a nutshell, anyway. Once they become experienced then you start remembering names. Crews can gain additional experience and get 'promoted' to higher experience levels, so lucky green crews can move on up.
The gameplay is pretty good though I had a few issues with it (especially the components - nothing awful, but one chart was missing so that was a PITA). I don't want to go into great detail before the review is posted but suffice it to say it really boils down to if you want to get a game where you have one crew to control (a'la QotS), or if you like the idea of controlling an entire squadron of B-17s.
Note that in AWAAP, there's B-24 Liberators too. It simulates the war's progression and there's different campaigns you can play, some shorter than others. If you play the longest campaign you'll get the full treatment and will experience everything from Me-109s initially to Me-262s later, plus many others. Again, I can't speak to TfT but I imagine it does the same. It's just the scale and which one appeals to you the most.
By the way, AWAAP's counters are mounted, but the game boards and charts are not.
thanks. looking forward to your review. :)
btw, Vegesack (near Bremen) is on the map - one's birthplace always makes for a nice target, right?! ;)
cheers!
Quote from: chemkid on December 08, 2017, 06:11:09 AM
thanks. looking forward to your review. :)
btw, Vegesack (near Bremen) is on the map - one's birthplace always makes for a nice target, right?! ;)
cheers!
Fortunately the 8th Air Force didn't drop nukes on Germany, otherwise they might have turned out like the Japanese, am I right? ;)
The map was one of the major issues; there were no less than four mispelled city names on it (e.g. Stuttgart was spelled "Sutgart" or something like that). David explained to me that the person responsible for the graphics had some major problems that happened right about the time they were trying to get this to the printer, and assured him they'd fixed the misspellings, but David owned all the problems to the game and blamed himself. David's a stand-up guy and the misprints aren't THAT big of a deal, but they ARE definitely off-putting.
y'all know we've got this cool thing we call a "front page" right?
http://grogheads.com/featured-posts/16454
Quote from: bayonetbrant on December 08, 2017, 06:35:04 AM
y'all know we've got this cool thing we call a "front page" right?
http://grogheads.com/featured-posts/16454
Geez, thanks Brant. I'd forgotten. What would we do without you? :P
Quote from: bayonetbrant on December 08, 2017, 06:35:04 AM
y'all know we've got this cool thing we call a "front page" right?
http://grogheads.com/featured-posts/16454
We didn't at 9:30 the other night :P
Wait, did "our" IT guy fix something?
Not exactly. More importantly he didn't break anything.
Quote from: mirth on December 08, 2017, 06:44:43 AM
Not exactly. More importantly he didn't break anything.
most tellingly, his advice was "call someone else"
Quote from: bayonetbrant on December 08, 2017, 07:05:20 AM
Quote from: mirth on December 08, 2017, 06:44:43 AM
Not exactly. More importantly he didn't break anything.
most tellingly, his advice was "call someone else"
Did it work? Yes it did.
Quote from: bayonetbrant on December 08, 2017, 06:35:04 AM
y'all know we've got this cool thing we call a "front page" right?
http://grogheads.com/featured-posts/16454
oooh...Narnia!
Thanks - actually ALWAYS forget about that. O0
Quote from: chemkid on December 08, 2017, 05:53:14 AM
...what do you mean, 'the stuff was not mounted'?...
Quote from: BanzaiCat on December 08, 2017, 06:03:26 AM
...but the game boards and charts are not.
That's what I meant
Quote from: BanzaiCat on December 08, 2017, 06:03:26 AM
JD, I have A Wing and a Prayer. I'm finishing up a review of it by this weekend.
I do not own Target For Today.
That all said, Target For Today, I think, is closer to QotS than A Wing And A Prayer. That's not a knock against AWAAP. The LnL title lets you control a squadron of B-17s, and each B-17 has a crew counter. Green crews are represented by generic counters, while more experienced crews are represented by bomber names. David had told me that some people didn't like that at all; they wanted ALL the bombers to have crew names, but his thought (and mine, too, the moment I saw it in the game, before I spoke to him) was that the green crews are basically the newbies that the veterans don't want to waste time getting to know - in a nutshell, anyway. Once they become experienced then you start remembering names. Crews can gain additional experience and get 'promoted' to higher experience levels, so lucky green crews can move on up.
The gameplay is pretty good though I had a few issues with it (especially the components - nothing awful, but one chart was missing so that was a PITA). I don't want to go into great detail before the review is posted but suffice it to say it really boils down to if you want to get a game where you have one crew to control (a'la QotS), or if you like the idea of controlling an entire squadron of B-17s.
Note that in AWAAP, there's B-24 Liberators too. It simulates the war's progression and there's different campaigns you can play, some shorter than others. If you play the longest campaign you'll get the full treatment and will experience everything from Me-109s initially to Me-262s later, plus many others. Again, I can't speak to TfT but I imagine it does the same. It's just the scale and which one appeals to you the most.
By the way, AWAAP's counters are mounted, but the game boards and charts are not.
I look forward to it O0
Saw a vid review the other day:
thanks for the vid. reviewers note to compare to b29 made me smile... like to have something complementary but not as b29ish, looks like the game to go, for me that is.
Quote from: Nefaro on December 08, 2017, 03:00:40 PM
Saw a vid review the other day:
Thanks for that. It's on my list to watch
This a pretty good review
I expect post-game impressions..
and no more Bon Jovi, for the love of all that is aural.
Just saw this game today (Yeah, I don't get out much :P ) and was wondering if anyone has any more impressions of it? I watched a Youtube play through and it looked like fun. My concern was that there did not seem to be a lot of decisions to be made in the game. It looks like you pick your squadron crews and your route to the target and then you let RNGesus handle everything else. I did see something about deciding whether to make a second pass over the target if the clouds had it socked in. Any other points where you make meaningful decisions? Thanks.
We've got a review on the front page ::)
Quote from: bayonetbrant on April 21, 2018, 04:48:42 PM
We've got a review on the front page ::)
OK, all I saw in this thread was the "first look" article. Found the review. Thanks.
Target For Today is very much like B-17 QotS, but it does have an option to fly multiple planes (sort of like what A Wing And A Prayer does).
Quote from: bayonetbrant on April 21, 2018, 04:48:42 PM
We've got a review on the front page ::)
No-one knows where the front page is. You have to provide a link...or a wardrobe...or a DeLorean
Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 22, 2018, 12:21:34 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on April 21, 2018, 04:48:42 PM
We've got a review on the front page ::)
No-one knows where the front page is. You have to provide a link...or a wardrobe...or a DeLorean
or a TARDIS