GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Gusington on December 19, 2017, 01:53:51 PM

Title: Spellforce III
Post by: Gusington on December 19, 2017, 01:53:51 PM
Just released last week, Spellforce III has got my attention with its mix of RPG and RTS gameplay. Anyone playing it? I have never played a Spellforce game.
Title: Re: Spellforce III
Post by: Tpek on December 19, 2017, 02:03:08 PM
I tried the open beta.
It was rather 'meh'.
Seems even less interesting than the previous Spellforce titles.
Title: Re: Spellforce III
Post by: JasonPratt on December 19, 2017, 02:19:24 PM
I own collections of SF1 and SF2 (minus the most recent SF2 standalone campaign sequel, I think); and I like the franchise generally, but I have never played more than some of the first part of the first game. Liked it, didn't hate it, just always something else new and shiny I guess. (Also the first game was infested with anti-piracy problems, so I stayed away totally until that was fixed.)

I've even recently considered going back and continuing with SF1, thence into SF2 perhaps.
Title: Re: Spellforce III
Post by: Gusington on December 19, 2017, 02:26:26 PM
Hmm do these games have a generally bad rep? Spellforce III has mixed reviews on Steam. Also, the main game trailer is narrated by the same voice actor who did Geralt in Witcher III. I thought I was hearing things.
Title: Re: Spellforce III
Post by: JasonPratt on December 19, 2017, 03:50:45 PM
The series is something of a cult classic, but even fans think some of the games are weak cash grabs, sold on broken promises of improving the gameplay plus a cover girl.  :-*

My impression of the mixed Steam reviews, is (1) bugs from just coming out of early access (typical for this series although EA seems new); and (2) the usual complaints (pretty justified to some degree even by fans) of not being enough RPG in its RPG mechanics and not being enough RTS in its RTS mechanics.
Title: Re: Spellforce III
Post by: Tpek on December 19, 2017, 04:32:58 PM
^It was never in EA.
It just had a public beta (skirmish/MP modes), and it was pretty short.
Title: Re: Spellforce III
Post by: Gusington on December 19, 2017, 06:28:34 PM
I am torn. If it even hints at being weak, it can't be worth the 50.00 they're asking.
Title: Re: Spellforce III
Post by: JasonPratt on December 20, 2017, 11:19:07 AM
Quote from: Tpek on December 19, 2017, 04:32:58 PM
^It was never in EA.
It just had a public beta (skirmish/MP modes), and it was pretty short.

Aside from remembering, perhaps wrongly, "Steam Early Access" for that public beta, which if true would be by definition "early access"; a public beta giving the public early access to parts of the game would also be, by definition, early access.  ::)

Whether they charged for early access, I don't recall.


Quote from: Gusington on December 19, 2017, 06:28:34 PM
I am torn. If it even hints at being weak, it can't be worth the 50.00 they're asking.

You should perhaps consider the first game, order of the dawn, in the SF1 compilation. Gog's currently selling Spellforce Platinum for $2.50.
Title: Re: Spellforce III
Post by: Pete Dero on December 20, 2017, 12:01:27 PM
Quote from: Gusington on December 19, 2017, 06:28:34 PM
I am torn. If it even hints at being weak, it can't be worth the 50.00 they're asking.

Kinguin has it for 48% off (25.99) as a flash sale (if you trust Kinguin enough)  https://www.kinguin.net/product/1034033/spellforce-3-steam-cd-key/
Title: Re: Spellforce III
Post by: Gusington on December 20, 2017, 12:53:33 PM
I do not trust Kinguin at all.

Pratt did you enjoy the original Spellforce games?
Title: Re: Spellforce III
Post by: JasonPratt on December 21, 2017, 09:51:31 AM
For as far as I played them, yes. The only reason that wasn't very far was because I keep seeing new niftiness elsewhere to play with.

$2.50 for getting all the original generation of games (SF1 and its expansions), free of the murderous DRM that infested it, is a good way to see if you're going to like the game system and milieu or not.


I should perhaps qualify that I'm sometimes a fan of quirky things. I played 1C's Ascension to the Throne, a loose predecessor to their reboot of the King's Bounty series, totally through to completion and enjoyed the hell out of it. Most people are quite meh about it (at best), for reasons I totally understand but still.
Title: Re: Spellforce III
Post by: mirth on December 21, 2017, 09:56:01 AM
Quote from: JasonPratt on December 21, 2017, 09:51:31 AM
I should perhaps qualify that I'm sometimes a fan of quirky things.

Get outta town!
Title: Re: Spellforce III
Post by: Gusington on December 21, 2017, 09:59:39 AM
This...this shatters what I thought I knew about the world.
Title: Re: Spellforce III
Post by: JasonPratt on December 21, 2017, 10:08:36 AM
I should also perhaps qualify that I hang out here a lot.  :coolsmiley:
Title: Re: Spellforce III
Post by: Gusington on December 21, 2017, 10:11:16 AM
Your oddball behavior makes you king of kings around here.
Title: Re: Spellforce III
Post by: Jarhead0331 on November 06, 2020, 08:59:17 AM
What's the final verdict on this? It is not something I would normally be seriously into, but they just released a stand alone add-on called Fallen Gods and it caught my eye. Looks pretty cool.

Anyway, any thoughts? Yea or nay?
Title: Re: Spellforce III
Post by: Gusington on November 06, 2020, 10:36:05 AM
I'm curious too.
Title: Re: Spellforce III
Post by: JasonPratt on November 06, 2020, 11:02:45 AM
Haven't played it yet, but I still recommend trying the first game in the first collection first, to see if you're going to like the basic concepts of the series; which will be much cheaper. I can't imagine anyone coming away meh or nope for the first game, in how it's played (actual presentation improves over time of course), and thinking III will be so much better it's worth the initial price.
Title: Re: Spellforce III
Post by: Gusington on November 06, 2020, 05:34:02 PM
I played a fair share of the 3rd installment and liked it...I just don't remember anything about it at all.