GrogHeads Forum

IRL (In Real Life) => General Discussion => Topic started by: Toonces on December 31, 2017, 10:34:19 AM

Title: New Year's resolutions...what are they good for?
Post by: Toonces on December 31, 2017, 10:34:19 AM
Got any?

I have a few minor lifestyle adjustments I'm hoping to make, and make stick, starting tomorrow.  Well, the day after tomorrow.

First, I really would like to start working out in the morning before work.  I've experimented with this a few times, and it never works because I absolutely hate getting up in the morning.  But everything I've read says that working out first thing in the morning is one of the best things you can do for yourself.  I do know that I miss a lot of workouts because I postpone my workout until after work, and I'll get home and be too tired/lazy to actually do it.  So, I'd like to try, again, to do the morning thing.  My understanding is that if I can gut it out for about 3 weeks it will become habitual and become easier.  We'll see about that.

Second, it's time to start thinning out all the stuff I've acquired but is just taking up space.  Board games, I'm looking at you.  I must have at least a dozen board games that have been sitting in shrink for more than 3 years.  And I can't remember the last board game I actually played.  I'm just not a board gamer...time for them to go.

Finally, an almost impossible task, I'd like to limit my adult beverage consumption to one night a week. Ideally I'll be able to merge this with resolution 1; it's going to be hard to get up at 0500 to crank out a couple miles on the treadmill if I've been drinking wine and playing CK2 all night long.  I don't hold out a lot of hope for success, but it's a goal to strive for.

So how about it?  Any changes in your life coming up, or are resolutions for losers?    L:-)
Title: Re: New Year's resolutions...what are they good for?
Post by: mirth on December 31, 2017, 10:43:26 AM
Quote from: Toonces on December 31, 2017, 10:34:19 AM
or are resolutions for losers?    L:-)

you already answered that question :P
Title: Re: New Year's resolutions...what are they good for?
Post by: Toonces on December 31, 2017, 10:46:19 AM
Just for that, you don't get any board games!   >:(

8)
Title: Re: New Year's resolutions...what are they good for?
Post by: Toonces on December 31, 2017, 10:46:59 AM
I'm waiting for Brant to post up one of those super motivational thought things he usually puts up this time of year.
Title: Re: New Year's resolutions...what are they good for?
Post by: mirth on December 31, 2017, 10:48:36 AM
Quote from: Toonces on December 31, 2017, 10:46:19 AM
Just for that, you don't get any board games!   >:(

8)

Heh. I can definitely help you with that part of your resolution. My retirement plan is to live in a house built from my game collection.
Title: Re: New Year's resolutions...what are they good for?
Post by: mirth on December 31, 2017, 10:49:28 AM
Quote from: Toonces on December 31, 2017, 10:46:59 AM
I'm waiting for Brant to post up one of those super motivational thought things he usually puts up this time of year.

"Listening to Marilyn Manson and drinking a gallon of bleach"
Title: Re: New Year's resolutions...what are they good for?
Post by: Toonces on December 31, 2017, 10:53:00 AM
I've been carting around these board games for years.  Some of them a lot of years.  And I never play them. 

I have this stupid idea that some day I'm going to retire, and then I'm going to spend my days in my man cave finally playing that copy of Pacific War solo.  Let's be honest, though.  That's just not going to happen.  I know it, you know it. 

Title: Re: New Year's resolutions...what are they good for?
Post by: mirth on December 31, 2017, 10:54:39 AM
Quote from: Toonces on December 31, 2017, 10:53:00 AM
I have this stupid idea that some day I'm going to retire, and then I'm going to spend my days in my man cave finally playing that copy of Pacific War solo.  Let's be honest, though.  That's just not going to happen.  I know it, you know it. 



Title: Re: New Year's resolutions...what are they good for?
Post by: Greybriar on December 31, 2017, 11:26:51 AM
Quote from: Toonces on December 31, 2017, 10:34:19 AM
New Year's resolutions...what are they good for?

To break?  ;)

That's why I haven't made any New Year's resolutions yet.
Title: Re: New Year's resolutions...what are they good for?
Post by: airboy on December 31, 2017, 11:52:36 AM
I resolve to continue my good habits.

1] Save the max I can for retirement.
2] Go to the gym regularly.
3] Support my wife's pending weight loss nightmare.  She is a stress eater and being parent for her nephew for 2.66 years and the death and decline of her parents was hard on her.
4] Do a good job in my classes.
5] Play lots of games.

and the one that will only be disclosed when I get it
6] Buy a really cool car
Title: Re: New Year's resolutions...what are they good for?
Post by: bayonetbrant on December 31, 2017, 11:58:57 AM
...
Title: Re: New Year's resolutions...what are they good for?
Post by: bayonetbrant on December 31, 2017, 11:59:32 AM
though this year I'll settle for:  get a job
Title: Re: New Year's resolutions...what are they good for?
Post by: Barthheart on December 31, 2017, 12:12:58 PM
Mine matches with Toonces' pretty well.

My dog, who's 15, now has to get up at 5 am to pee so I want to stay up and get some exercise in instead of shambling back to bed. It's only an hour early for me but man it's hard some times.

Doc says I need to cut back on my alcohol intake as it's some how affecting my HDL levels. So, no booze at all during the week and only a beer or glass of wine or 2 on Fri/Sat or Sat/Sun. This ones gonna be hard to keep.

Finish the multitude of home reno projects I have going. Finish the wine closet, finish the laundry room, finish the basement trim, finish painting the upstairs trim, finish the toilet room in the basement etc etc....

If I can start and partially accomplish any of this I'll be happy.
Title: Re: New Year's resolutions...what are they good for?
Post by: trailrunner on December 31, 2017, 12:13:55 PM
Quote from: Toonces on December 31, 2017, 10:34:19 AM

First, I really would like to start working out in the morning before work.  I've experimented with this a few times, and it never works because I absolutely hate getting up in the morning.  But everything I've read says that working out first thing in the morning is one of the best things you can do for yourself.  I do know that I miss a lot of workouts because I postpone my workout until after work, and I'll get home and be too tired/lazy to actually do it.  So, I'd like to try, again, to do the morning thing.  My understanding is that if I can gut it out for about 3 weeks it will become habitual and become easier.  We'll see about that.

Even though I'm very much a morning person, I used to mostly be a lunch and evening workout person.  I never liked running in the morning, although I did like swimming in the morning, and I did that regularly.  After I changed jobs about 10 years ago, I started missing a lot of my lunch workouts, so I switched to morning workouts.  It took a while to adjust.  I changed jobs about a year ago and thought I'd go back to lunchtime workouts, but once again, I was missing too many, so lately I've gone back to running in the morning.


Quote from: Toonces on December 31, 2017, 10:34:19 AM
Second, it's time to start thinning out all the stuff I've acquired but is just taking up space.  Board games, I'm looking at you.  I must have at least a dozen board games that have been sitting in shrink for more than 3 years.  And I can't remember the last board game I actually played.  I'm just not a board gamer...time for them to go.

When I got back into he hobby a couple of years ago, I bought all the SL modules on ebay.  Then I figured out there was something called ASL and that is superseded SL.  I was just thinking this morning that I'll never play SL, so I may as well unload them.  Or maybe I'll make some big art project out of them -- maybe a mosaic with all the counters?


Quote from: Toonces on December 31, 2017, 10:34:19 AM
Finally, an almost impossible task, I'd like to limit my adult beverage consumption to one night a week. Ideally I'll be able to merge this with resolution 1; it's going to be hard to get up at 0500 to crank out a couple miles on the treadmill if I've been drinking wine and playing CK2 all night long.  I don't hold out a lot of hope for success, but it's a goal to strive for.

I stopped drinking altogether about 15 years ago.  I saw what it did to my father, and didn't want to go down that path.  Plus it's nice not having to worry about a designated driver, or waking up feeling like junk after a fun night.  But giving up drinking completely is a little extreme for most people.

I don't have any specific resolutions, but I do have some goals for 2018.  Finish some landscaping projects, finish some remodeling, do yoga more often, do some gravel rides, play ASL face to face.
Title: Re: New Year's resolutions...what are they good for?
Post by: airboy on December 31, 2017, 01:31:26 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on December 31, 2017, 12:12:58 PM
My dog, who's 15, now has to get up at 5 am to pee so I want to stay up and get some exercise in instead of shambling back to bed. It's only an hour early for me but man it's hard some times.

Doc says I need to cut back on my alcohol intake as it's some how affecting my HDL levels. So, no booze at all during the week and only a beer or glass of wine or 2 on Fri/Sat or Sat/Sun. This ones gonna be hard to keep.

We have two ancient dogs (14 and 17?) and one is deaf, almost blind, and incontinent.  I feel your pain.

I don't understand the HDL - Alcohol connection.  Alcohol usually lowers HDL mildly.  Docs don't prescribe moderate alcohol consumption because some become alcoholics which is very bad compared to high HDL.

Are you on any of the statins?  I had to go on them when I was 30 because I had the cholesterol of a 450 pound couch potato.  We've met, so you know it was due to genetics.  If you HDL is high, there are a lot of treatments for it.  High HDL is associated with heart disease, so paying attention to this can be important.  I'm not that kind of Dr., but I've had a genetic predisposition to very high generic cholesterol and extremely high HDL which was easily taken care of with ordinary statins.

Sorry to ramble on, but I had heart surgery at 53 with 90%+ blockage and I was on the drugs for almost 25 years at that point.  It strikes close to home.
Title: Re: New Year's resolutions...what are they good for?
Post by: airboy on December 31, 2017, 01:32:23 PM
Toonces/Trailrunner - I admire your workout routines.
Title: Re: New Year's resolutions...what are they good for?
Post by: undercovergeek on December 31, 2017, 03:14:24 PM
I promise not to get into a murderous rage of hate when people in front of me can't even WALK IN A STRAIGHT FKNG LINE at the supermarket
Title: Re: New Year's resolutions...what are they good for?
Post by: mirth on December 31, 2017, 03:21:27 PM
^a better man than I.
Title: Re: New Year's resolutions...what are they good for?
Post by: Toonces on December 31, 2017, 03:21:52 PM
LOL Airboy.  Right now my workout routine is purely aspirational. 

Title: Re: New Year's resolutions...what are they good for?
Post by: Dammit Carl! on December 31, 2017, 03:59:50 PM
(Looks at posted resolutions and two empty wine bottles in front of me in the kitchen)

Yeah. I can see the need to dial back on the booze too.

So, I'm down for more gym time as this 46 year old needs it.

Gonna get some rpg gaming on. To wit; I've volunteered for a CoC game that may or may not involve being recorded/podcasted. Still awaiting details there.

Also gonna get more "creative." Food, music (via playing bass) and doing some voice actor work. Have a gig lined up there with several parts. Excited about that one.

Lastly, I'm getting out of the military. 22 years is enough. While I've been strictly in the Reserves the whole time, 22 years is still quite a while.  Can't wait.  And I bet I just jinxed the shit out of that, didn't I?

Dammit, Carl.
Title: Re: New Year's resolutions...what are they good for?
Post by: MetalDog on December 31, 2017, 04:05:17 PM
Congrats, and thank you for your service!  Really cool about that voice acting.  Always felt I'd missed an opportunity there.  What kind of voice acting are you doing?  TV, games, commercials?
Title: Re: New Year's resolutions...what are they good for?
Post by: Dammit Carl! on December 31, 2017, 04:37:24 PM
Supposed to be for a "radio play," sort of thing.

I've adored those sorts of things forever. From Prarie Home to old serials and any number of modern podcast offerings, I love the having-to-use-the-imagination aspect the most.

Title: Re: New Year's resolutions...what are they good for?
Post by: Barthheart on December 31, 2017, 04:54:22 PM
Quote from: airboy on December 31, 2017, 01:31:26 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on December 31, 2017, 12:12:58 PM
My dog, who's 15, now has to get up at 5 am to pee so I want to stay up and get some exercise in instead of shambling back to bed. It's only an hour early for me but man it's hard some times.

Doc says I need to cut back on my alcohol intake as it's some how affecting my HDL levels. So, no booze at all during the week and only a beer or glass of wine or 2 on Fri/Sat or Sat/Sun. This ones gonna be hard to keep.

We have two ancient dogs (14 and 17?) and one is deaf, almost blind, and incontinent.  I feel your pain.

I don't understand the HDL - Alcohol connection.  Alcohol usually lowers HDL mildly.  Docs don't prescribe moderate alcohol consumption because some become alcoholics which is very bad compared to high HDL.

Are you on any of the statins?  I had to go on them when I was 30 because I had the cholesterol of a 450 pound couch potato.  We've met, so you know it was due to genetics.  If you HDL is high, there are a lot of treatments for it.  High HDL is associated with heart disease, so paying attention to this can be important.  I'm not that kind of Dr., but I've had a genetic predisposition to very high generic cholesterol and extremely high HDL which was easily taken care of with ordinary statins.

Sorry to ramble on, but I had heart surgery at 53 with 90%+ blockage and I was on the drugs for almost 25 years at that point.  It strikes close to home.

Apparently, my HDL to LDL ratio is what's bothering my Doc. My LDL level is only slightly elevated but my HDL level is extremely low. Mostly genetics but little to no exercise and too much drinking aren't helping at all.
Title: Re: New Year's resolutions...what are they good for?
Post by: Toonces on December 31, 2017, 05:57:44 PM
Very nice, Carl.

I hit 22 years tomorrow, but I was made an offer I can't refuse, so I'm in at least another 4 years.  Go you!
Title: Re: New Year's resolutions...what are they good for?
Post by: Dammit Carl! on December 31, 2017, 06:11:22 PM
Gracias.  Besides, I'm not high speed enough to warrant sticking around any longer than I have already.  Don't want to get out of my mid-level NCO rut either as I don't delegate well.

But go you!  Got more spunk than I do.
Title: Re: New Year's resolutions...what are they good for?
Post by: Steelgrave on December 31, 2017, 06:25:03 PM
My New Years resolution is to reduce the number of Steam games I own but have never played. I'll start after I wrap up my latest Civ VI campaign   O0
Title: Re: New Year's resolutions...what are they good for?
Post by: Gusington on December 31, 2017, 06:25:43 PM
^I will happily take your discarded game refuse.
Title: Re: New Year's resolutions...what are they good for?
Post by: Steelgrave on December 31, 2017, 06:26:35 PM
But Gus, I might play them some day! It could happen!
Title: Re: New Year's resolutions...what are they good for?
Post by: Gusington on December 31, 2017, 06:49:51 PM
^I will happily take your discarded game refuse.
Title: Re: New Year's resolutions...what are they good for?
Post by: Centurion40 on December 31, 2017, 06:56:00 PM
I resolve to avoid any firm resolutions. I would like to learn to play a song on my guitar, and lose some weight. Oh, and maybe complete a draft of a novel before the aliens are unveiled by Tom Delong.
Title: Re: New Year's resolutions...what are they good for?
Post by: Steelgrave on December 31, 2017, 06:57:06 PM
Quote from: Gusington on December 31, 2017, 06:49:51 PM
^I will happily take your discarded game refuse.

I'm putting you in my will as my Steam executor   8)
Title: Re: New Year's resolutions...what are they good for?
Post by: Gusington on December 31, 2017, 07:02:22 PM
Victory!
Title: Re: New Year's resolutions...what are they good for?
Post by: Steelgrave on December 31, 2017, 08:14:38 PM
Haven't played that one either   ::)